PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Players Union, NBA Considering New Deal

duncan228
02-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Players union, NBA considering new deal (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Players_union_NBA_considering_new_deal.html)
Mike Monroe

PHOENIX — Faced with a worldwide economic recession, NBA Commissioner David Stern and National Basketball Players Association executive director Billy Hunter on Saturday acknowledged they have begun preliminary talks that may lead to re-opening the collective bargaining agreement that governs player salaries.

The agreement is scheduled to expire after the 2010-11 season. The league has an option to extend the CBA for one season by notifying the NBPA on, or before, Dec. 15, 2010.

Hunter said he and Stern have been discussing re-opening bargaining talks for some time.

“I can't tell you that we are close to reaching a deal,” Hunter said. “But we have been talking, and I'm obviously going to be as diligent as I can on behalf of our players.

“Understand that we all understand that we live and benefit from the success of the NBA. The last thing we want to do is see it lose its vitality. We will do everything possible to reach a deal. Whether or not that means we will re-open before expiration is another question, but I can say to you that we are anxious to reach a deal.”

Stern said preliminary talks have included keeping the union abreast of the economic reality the 30 NBA teams face.

“The one thing we are not going to get into an argument about are what the facts are,” Stern said. “We meet with the union regularly. We turn over everything we possibly can. We may argue about what they say, but you are not going to be able to argue about what they are, because it is too important a subject.”

Stern said both the league and union are anxious to see what effect the proposed economic stimulus plan will have before getting into substantive talks.

“We have to see what happens now with the stimulus package, a lot of other things, but we have been very much involved with each other, and we continue to be so.”