View Full Version : The Player the Spurs Should Trade For

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Marcus Camby

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcus_camby/

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=517831

http://newsok.com/trade-market/article/3345805

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_11708644?nclick_check=1

He runs, he defends, he blocks a ton, he's a veteran, he doesn't requires touches or plays in the offense, he adapts quickly to new systems and he has Finals experience.

Oh, and he's been surprisingly durable in the past several seasons.

And it looks like he just might be available.

Get familiar.

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Marcus Camby doesn't defend. He jumps across the lane to block an already contested shot, leaving his man wide open.

Camby blows. You don't need him.

You are MUCH better off with Sheed, who is one of the best post defenders of our generation.

xtremesteven33
02-15-2009, 01:54 AM
If not Sheed, Camby would be my second choice, no doubt.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Camby makes about $8 million this year and next and then his contract is up.

And quite frankly, Camby is a better fit for the Spurs than Carter or R. Wallace for a number of reasons.

His salary is more condusive to a trade and his position and skill set matches our needs perfectly.

I was hoping he might become available with the Clippers going nowhere and them having a glut of big men.

Check this out:

On December 17, 2008 Camby pulled down a career high 27 rebounds in a 109-115 overtime loss against the Chicago Bulls. He also had 19 points, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 4 blocks.

That was in one game this season. Not one week. One game.

Got defense?

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 01:55 AM
He doesn't solve anything.

urunobili
02-15-2009, 01:56 AM
soft....

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 01:56 AM
Camby makes about $8 million this year and next and then his contract is up.

And quite frankly, Camby is a better fit for the Spurs than Carter or R. Wallace for a number of reasons.

His salary is more condusive to a trade and his position and skill set matches our needs perfectly.

I was hoping he might become available with the Clippers going nowhere and them having a glut of big men.

Check this out:

On December 17, 2008 Camby pulled down a career high 27 rebounds in a 109-115 overtime loss against the Chicago Bulls. He also had 19 points, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 4 blocks.

That was in one game this season. Not one week. One game.

Got defense?
You know as well as I do that blocks don't prove shit on defense.

His only asset is that he's a good rebounder.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Marcus Camby doesn't defend. He jumps across the lane to block an already contested shot, leaving his man wide open.

Camby blows. You don't need him.

You are MUCH better off with Sheed, who is one of the best post defenders of our generation.

False.

Camby may not be the best man-on-man defender, but the Spurs require a help defender more than anything right now to help Duncan patrol the paint, grab offensive rebounds and block shots.

And that's exactly what he does.

To say "Camby blows" is dumb. Your posts are typically good, too.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 01:58 AM

Don't be stupid.

Blocks don't mean sh1t on defense? Do they count as a made basket then?

Get a grip.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 01:59 AM
The Spurs need offensive rebounding ans a shot blocker.

Who is one of the - if not the - best at that today.

Here's a hint, Y2J --- Marcus Camby.

P.S.

You're bleeding.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:00 AM
soft....

False.

Russ
02-15-2009, 02:01 AM
Why not just grab Elson cheap -- a poor man's Camby.

ss1986v2
02-15-2009, 02:01 AM
he actually makes 10 mil this season, and just a hair under 10 mil next year (dont use hoopshype...), but its still a fair price, and a conceivable figure for the spurs to obtain.

and while i think hes an overrated defender, hes clearly head and shoulder (and hips and knees and feet) above most of our current front court. and if the cost isnt too high, hes on the short list of player i think could be reasonably obtained and would make a significant impact on the team.

xtremesteven33
02-15-2009, 02:02 AM
GW is right.

Camby would be a great fit. Its just i chose Sheed over Camby because he is WAY more versatile on offense and more playoff savy than Camby.

Ghost Writer

Um, he addresses all of the Spurs needs at a lower salary than Carter or Wallace.

Offensive rebounds. Blocks. PF/C. Tremendous team defense pivot player. Not a disruption to the offense.

He might be the perfect solution.

WTF are you talking about?

2YiZ
Don't be stupid.

Blocks don't mean sh1t on defense? Do they count as a made basket then?

Get a grip.
They don't mean shit if the man he's supposed to be guarding is free right under the basket. You're stopping 3 shots and giving up 6.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Why not just grab Elson cheap -- a poor man's Camby.

I know the economy sucks, but how poor we talking.

Elson never grabbed 27 rebounds in 4 games.

Ditty
02-15-2009, 02:03 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113488

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Is "not the best man-to-man defender" a euphemism for "he sucks outright"?

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:07 AM
This was last season and he has not slowed down:

2007-2008 season
During the 2007–08 NBA season, Camby continued to make his mark as one of the best defensive players and centers in the game. He finished the season averaging 13.1 rebounds per game (second in the league), 18.1 rebounds per 48 minutes (first in the league), 10.2 defensive rebounds per game (second in the league), 14.1 defensive rebounds per 48 minutes (first in the league), 3.61 blocks per game (first in the league), 4.96 blocks per 48 minutes (first in the league), 285 total blocks (first in the league), 1.06 steals per game (third among centers) and 3.3 assists per game (second among centers).

The season before he won the Defensive Player of the Year Award.

And you idiots say he is soft, doesn't play defense and doesn't address any needs?

Die.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Is "not the best man-to-man defender" a euphemism for "he sucks outright"?

Yeah, they hand out Defensive Player of the Year awards out to guys who can't defend.

Kill yourself.

Rogue
02-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Um, he addresses all of the Spurs needs at a lower salary than Carter or Wallace.

Offensive rebounds. Blocks. PF/C. Tremendous team defense pivot player. Not a disruption to the offense.

He might be the perfect solution.

WTF was I talking about?

fixed

Ditty
he's exactly what we need but no talks about him i guess the spurs don't want him for some reason or more like the clippers don't want to get rid of him but are hearing offers

itzsoweezee
while i think chandler would be exactly what the spurs need (i know, the spurs have no shot at getting TC), camby would be a significant improvement from what we've got right now.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:09 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113488

Good call.

I've coveted Camby since he put on a show in the 1999 playoffs with the Knicks.

I didn't think the Clippers would move him so soon, but it looks possible now.

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Yeah, they hand out Defensive Player of the Year awards out to guys who can't defend.

Kill yourself.
Yeah, just like they hand out Gold Gloves to play the best defense at their position.

ohlolwaitpalmierojeter

Rasheed Wallace has no defensive awards to his name. Camby has multiple. Who would you rather have patrolling the paint?

ss1986v2
02-15-2009, 02:10 AM

Kill yourself.

while i dont really disagree with your point, are you seriously using league awards as a standard of measure? duncan has 0 DPOY and shaq only has 1 MVP, while nash has 2. not the best argument.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:12 AM
fixed

Read what I wrote and if you don't agree, prove me wrong. I posted Camby's stats and accolades and rumored availability, Rougue.

The only thing that needs fixing is you, so we can ensure the bloodline ends with you, donkey.

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Read what I wrote and if you don't agree, prove me wrong. I posted Camby's stats and accolades and rumored availability, Rougue.

The only thing that needs fixing is you, so we can ensure the bloodline ends with you, donkey.
You, Ghost Writer, need to realize that rudimentary statistics are a piss poor way to measure a player's defensive ability.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:14 AM
while i dont really disagree with your point, are you seriously using league awards as a standard of measure? duncan has 0 DPOY and shaq only has 1 MVP, while nash has 2. not the best argument.

Well, ignore the Defensive Player of the Year Award and just take Y2J's word for it that Marcus Camby can't defend and addresses none of the Spurs' needs.

All I can supply you with is widely accepted NBA truths with stats, articles and awards to back it up.

Stop wasting my time.

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Yeah, just like they hand out Gold Gloves to play the best defense at their position.

ohlolwaitpalmierojeter

Rasheed Wallace has no defensive awards to his name. Camby has multiple. Who would you rather have patrolling the paint?

cambys dpoy? his award = tim duncans shit

he was fukn exposed in 07 when he won it, tim duncan destroyed the fool in the first round

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:16 AM
You, Ghost Writer, need to realize that rudimentary statistics are a piss poor way to measure a player's defensive ability.

Nah.

I watch the games, Y2J.

I thought you were smart.

You honestly think Marcus Camby is a poor defender?

Did you just hit the crack pipe between the Carter threads and this one?

ss1986v2
02-15-2009, 02:18 AM
Well, ignore the Defensive Player of the Year Award and just take Y2J's word for it that Marcus Camby can't defend and addresses none of the Spurs' needs.

All I can supply you with is widely accepted NBA truths with stats, articles and awards to back it up.

Stop wasting my time.

again, i dont disagree. while i do hold the position that hes an overrated defender (i dont think hes been a DPOY caliber player recently), id still rate him as a good defender, great rebounder, and good shot blocker (only because he does leave his man far too often). and id welcome a trade for camby. no need to go all PMS...

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Let me make it simple.

Do the Spurs need a PF/C?

Do they need blocks?

Do they need a good team defender?

Do they need boards, particularly offensive rebounds?

Do the Spurs prefer veterans?

Could they trade bench depth for a $8-10 million salary that expires next (not this) summer?

Did you look at Camby's career numbers?

Do you follow the NBA at large?

The answer to all these questions is "yes."

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Nah.

I watch the games, Y2J.

I thought you were smart.

You honestly think Marcus Camby is a poor defender?

Did you just hit the crack pipe between the Carter threads and this one?
I know Camby is a liability on both ends of the floor, whose only redeeming quality is that he can grab rebounds.

HarlemHeat37
02-15-2009, 02:21 AM
if we can get him for Horry, Oberto, Bowen(who would come back)..or whatever matches..then I'd do it..

I'm not sure if he's worth giving up on Hill or Mason though, I'd have to think about it..

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:21 AM
again, i dont disagree. while i do hold the position that hes an overrated defender (i dont think hes been a DPOY caliber player recently), id still rate him as a good defender, great rebounder, and good shot blocker (only because he does leave his man far too often). and id welcome a trade for camby. no need to go all PMS...

People are overlooking the fact that Camby has never played alongside the quality of low post defender as Duncan.

Camby could thrive as a "free safety" of sorts in the Spurs team defense.

Camby could give Pau Gasol fvcking fits.

Please, people, enough of the b1tchy little nitpicking complaints.

You'd pass on Jesus H. Christ to the Spurs for Jaques Vaughn.

Rogue
02-15-2009, 02:22 AM
:worthy:1,002,115

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:22 AM
People are overlooking the fact that Camby has never played alongside the quality of low post defender as Duncan.

Camby could thrive as a "I get paid to make my team worse" of sorts in the Spurs team defense.

Camby could give Pau Gasol multiple scorgasms.

Please, people, enough of the b1tchy little nitpicking complaints.

You'd pass on Jesus H. Christ to the Spurs for Jaques Vaughn.
Fixed

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:23 AM
I know Camby is a liability on both ends of the floor, whose only redeeming quality is that he can grab rebounds.

:lol

You're fvcking retarded.

Camby is not a liability on the defensive end and he gets garbage points on offense.

Camby also is always among the league leaders in blocked shots.

He fits exactly what the Spurs need.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:25 AM
:lol

You're fvcking retarded.

Camby is not a liability on the defensive end and he gets garbage points on offense.

Camby also is always among the league leaders in blocked shots.

He fits exactly what the Spurs need.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Yes, leaving your man wide friggin open so you can block a contested shot makes you a defensive liability.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Fixed

Corny.

And you are incorrect.

For the record, 2YiZ asserts that Marcus Camby is a liability on the defensive and and doesn't do anything but rebound.

Congrats!

You just surpassed EricB and exstatic for most fvcked up post of the day.

Take a bath with a toaster.

Please.

Thomas82
02-15-2009, 02:26 AM
If not Sheed, Camby would be my second choice, no doubt.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:28 AM
Corny.

And you are incorrect.

For the record, 2YiZ asserts that Marcus Camby is a liability on the defensive and and doesn't do anything but rebound.

Congrats!

Take a bath with a toaster.

Please.
Your inferiority/superiority complex is hilarious.

Visit a shrink.

Please.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:30 AM
Marcus Camby was a four-time member of the All-Defense first or second team. In 2006-07, he was the defensive player of the year. In seven of his 12 seasons, he averaged double-digit rebounds. In four seasons, he led the league in blocked shots.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:31 AM
2YiZ says Marcus Camby is a bad defender and doesn't do anything but rebound and would not address any of the Spurs needs.

The defense rests, your honor.

Rogue
02-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Took the words right out of my mouth.
haven't you noticed his avatar? his own mouth is filled with something that none of us wants to mention. he had to steal words from others, please forgive him.:lol

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:32 AM
Marcus Camby was a four-time member of the All-Defense first or second team. In 2006-07, he was the defensive player of the year. In seven of his 12 seasons, he averaged double-digit rebounds. In four seasons, he led the league in blocked shots.
Yeah, and Jeter has won the SS Gold Glove multiple times.

I have no idea where you're going with this.

Ghost Writer
02-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Yeah, and Jeter has won the SS Gold Glove multiple times.

I have no idea where you're going with this.

That much is obvious.

You don't think Camby does anything but rebound and would not address the Spurs needs and that he can't defend.

It's your assertion against my stats, articles, awards and general NBA knowledge.

Don't dig a deeper hole. We all can read this thread and see that you believe Camby would hurt the Spurs on defense.

Do you think Ray Allen is a bad shooter, too?

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 02:38 AM
that much is obvious.

You don't think camby does anything but rebound and would not address the spurs needs and that he can't defend.

It's your assertion against my stats, articles, awards and general nba knowledge.

Don't dig a deeper hole. We all can read this thread and see that you believe camby would hurt the spurs on defense.

Do you think ray allen is a bad shooter, too?
You are trying to use stats and awards to prove someone is a good defender. Your claims are baseless, egregious, and stupid.

baseline bum
02-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Cotton Camby's a bitch. Haven't you been shitting on Bowen for years because he's not an offensive threat and now you want someone who is even more of a one-way player?

Spur-Addict
02-15-2009, 02:42 AM
Camby can also stretch the floor with his jumpshot. Although awkward, it is effective. He isn't much of a back to the basket guy but he can run, and also lead a break. He's a talented player who would be hard to come by. His rebounding speaks for itself. He's a good defender as well. You have to appreciate his all around game.

xtremesteven33
02-15-2009, 02:42 AM
haven't you noticed his avatar? his own mouth is filled with something that none of us wants to mention. he had to steal words from others, please forgive him.:lol

?????

objective
02-15-2009, 02:47 AM
Horry at $3 mil, Oberto, Bowen and a sweetener like Splitter's rights work under the cap for Camby.

And though Camby has faults, he's better than Oberto or Thomas and works with the 2010 plan.

But let's be more realistic.

If the Spurs make a move, it will be for an stiff like Jeff Foster or Nick Collison that will blow the 2010 plan to pieces.

They signed Rasho. They wanted Joel Pryzbilla to replace him. They're not going to trade for Camby, Rasheed or Vince Carter. Best case scenario is that they'll just waste draft picks and and Splitter for older, more broken down stiffs who are about to expire, like Joe Smith or Donyell Marshall.

coopdogg3
02-15-2009, 02:54 AM
I'd like Camby - he has his faults, but he would be a good fit for the Spurs. I just have to think that another team could beat the pu-pu platter that the Spurs could offer. An injured Mahinmi? An unknown Splitter?

I don't see the Spurs offering Mason or Hill, which would probably be a prerequisite for the Clippers. Of course the Clippers got Camby for a 2nd round pick, so I guess anything is possible. The spurs could offer a bunch of crap and 2 2nd round picks and the Clips still come out ahead.

Mr Bones
02-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Ah, what's more refreshing than people arguing on a basketball forum and telling one another that they need to DIE?! Good stuff!

I'll always remember an interview I heard with Phil Jackson while he was retired. He was asked about the decision to trade for bad-boy Dennis Rodman and he said that he and his staff had made a list of guys they thought could help with interior defense and rebounding (sound familiar?). According to Phil, Rodman was 8th or 9th on that list, but it turned out that the other 7 or 8 guys just weren't available for what the Bulls had to offer. The real trick for the Spurs will be getting the most that they can while giving up the least.

Camby's D in the paint is overrated in my opinion, but his help D is very good and he's the best in the league at blocking shots without fouling. His rebounding is obviously good, and he's a pretty good assist/steals guy too. The idea that he "wouldn't help" is kooky. But, for the record, I don't want anyone with that opinion to die.

coopdogg3
02-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Ah, what's more refreshing than people arguing on a basketball forum and telling one another that they need to DIE?! Good stuff!

I'll always remember an interview I heard with Phil Jackson while he was retired. He was asked about the decision to trade for bad-boy Dennis Rodman and he said that he and his staff had made a list of guys they thought could help with interior defense and rebounding (sound familiar?). According to Phil, Rodman was 8th or 9th on that list, but it turned out that the other 7 or 8 guys just weren't available for what the Bulls had to offer. The real trick for the Spurs will be getting the most that they can while giving up the least.

Camby's D in the paint is overrated in my opinion, but his help D is very good and he's the best in the league at blocking shots without fouling. His rebounding is obviously good, and he's a pretty good assist/steals guy too. The idea that he "wouldn't help" is kooky. But, for the record, I don't want anyone with that opinion to die.

With that type of attitude, the terrorists win.

It's a fight to the death, you hippie.

Rynospursfan
02-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Chill the fuck out people. If RC can get either Camby or Sheed for a bunch of role players he will pull the trigger and we would have an excellent shot at winning the title. The only bummer is that neither are very likely.

xmas1997
02-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Actually, and I might add unbeleavably, Sheed is more likely than unlikely.

Kindergarten Cop
02-15-2009, 10:43 AM

Quality first post. Welcome aboard.:toast

exstatic
02-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Another Camby thread? Really? Are you too fucking lazy to go and thread dive for one of the other 5-10 that exist, or too arrogant to think we might have already discussed this while you were on one of your three year sabbaticals?

Ghostwriter: where boring repetition happens.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-15-2009, 10:57 AM

:tu Welcome.

:lmao

spurspokesman
02-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Marcus Camby

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcus_camby/

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=517831

http://newsok.com/trade-market/article/3345805

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_11708644?nclick_check=1

He runs, he defends, he blocks a ton, he's a veteran, he doesn't requires touches or plays in the offense, he adapts quickly to new systems and he has Finals experience.

Oh, and he's been surprisingly durable in the past several seasons.

And it looks like he just might be available.

Get familiar. He is A liability at times in some defensive sets but he more than makes up for it in rebounds, Has A decent shot and will be defending softees like the gasols and aldridge's of the leaugue.(JUST IMAGINE OUR PLAYERS WITH 7 MORE CHANCES A GAME TO SCORE. BESIDES IM WITH IT BECAUSE HES FROM CONNECTICUT. MY STATE. ID WELCOME HIM IN A HEARTBEAT.AND I KNOW HELL BE EVEN BETTER UNDER POP. (TAKE A LOOK AT HIS FORMER COACHES)

buttsR4rebounding
02-15-2009, 11:23 AM
This is a trade that can actually work for the Spurs and stay under the Luxury Tax threshold. Bowen and Oberto plus future pick of some sort plus $3 million allowed (to assist in buying out Bowen's contract) will add roughly a pro rated $1,300,000 to the cap number this year. Bowen coming back for vet minimum would add about $500,000 more. The Spurs are currently about $3,000,000 under the luxury tax. Camby's salary drops next year some and it would actually leave enough room to squeeze in a player at the full MLE and stay under the luxury tax again.
If it takes $4,000,000 to buy out Bowen which is basically the entire amount he has left guaranteed under his contract, this would save the Clippers about $7,000,000 in salary and pick up some kind of draft pick. I'd send Splitter's rights if they'd take that. Plus they still have a serviceable big back up in Oberto.

Agloco
02-15-2009, 01:40 PM

He doesn't exactly hurt either......

WTF are you talking about?

Agloco
02-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Corny.

And you are incorrect.

Congrats!

Take a bath with a plugged in toaster.

Please.

Fixed

xmas1997
02-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know how pro-rated contracts affects trades like this especially considering the lux tax???????????????????????
In other words, do the Spurs have to match all of Sheeds contract to trade for him this year?

Agloco
02-15-2009, 01:58 PM
You are trying to use stats and awards to prove someone is a good defender. Your claims are baseless, egregious, and stupid.

How about looking at his body of work since he's come to Denver? You can't possibly believe that Camby is actually going to make the Spurs worse on D?

I'll give you the argument that he might be a bit overrated, but a liability? I don't see it.

wisnub
02-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Its good if we got Camby. Its good to have Rasheed. Unfortunately I will bet money and myself that the trade is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AT ALL !!!
It is funny to watch so many people talk about things that not going to happen. Anybody could disagree with me but given Spurs history and FO: THERE IS NO TRADE FOR IMPACT PLAYER...PERIOD !!!!! this will be a uncontestable fact. But they might got a big man scrub who Spurs will dump after one season,kindda like Elson type player. That might happen. BUT BIG TRADE IS NOT HAPPENING AT ALL! GUARANTEED!!!

weebo
02-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Ghostwriter: where boring repetition happens.[/QUOTE]

vander
02-15-2009, 02:40 PM
just look how much worse Denver is without Camby, and how much better the clips are with him

camby's a joke

SouthTexasRancher
02-15-2009, 03:11 PM

So if the Spurs are ahead of the Lakers by one point in Game 7 of the WC Finals with 1 second left in the game and Kobe drives to the basket for a layup or dunk only to get his shot cleanly 'blocked' by Marcus Camby (if he were a Spur) then a block doesn't prove shit? Or the same scenerio in the NBA Finals between the Spurs and Celtics and Tim or Marcus 'blocks' the final shot attempt by KG, which had it not been blocked and the shot made, the Celtics would be repeat Champions, then the 'block' doesn't mean shit? If the Nets coaching staff believes that then no wonder the Nets have never won an NBA Championship. When was the last time any NBA team won the championship by being a purely offensive team and not a defensive minded team?

Whisky Dog
02-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Camby would be a great fit as a role player to block shots (or intimidate shooters) and rebound. But is he available and at what cost?

Duncan2177
02-15-2009, 03:36 PM
just look how much worse Denver is without Camby, and how much better the clips are with him

camby's a joke

Camby a joke? He wouldn't be a joke playing on the spurs next to Duncan, Camby would bring that defensive presence the spurs desperately need.

nadroj117
02-15-2009, 03:42 PM
I can't believe that some of you would actually be against getting Camby, or even moreso knocking him. The guy was putting up All-Star numbers for the early part of the season (believe before getting injured), and was being talked about how unfortunately he's playing for the Clips and won't get any recognition. He's really been the only positive for that team with all the injury's and Baron being a non factor. Although I don't believe we have enough to get either Wallace or Camby, both of them would fit a need for the Spurs. Camby is of course a great shot blocker and rebounder, something Tim hasn't played with since Dave. But I believe would be a great help defender as others have stated here. The Spurs D has always been about forcing the player into the bigs. The reason our D has slipped this year is because we are playing Bonner more mins as our 2nd Big. Unlike with Oberto, Elson, and other Bigs of past Bonner isn't a great help defender (even though he tries his ass off). Wallace on the other hand is an amazing on ball, post defender and always has been, but has also been on a disciplined defensive team in Detroit for years. He will without a doubt bring a huge defensive presence to this team. I'd be thrilled to have either, but for anyone to bash either of these guys and saying they wouldn't be a help to this team is ridiculous.

ducks
02-15-2009, 03:54 PM
camby
come on ghost

bowen o is great tehn camby and you bitch about his o

DynastyBuilder
02-15-2009, 03:58 PM
:tu

Another Camby thread just what I was hoping for today

2YiZ
02-15-2009, 04:13 PM
So if the Spurs are ahead of the Lakers by one point in Game 7 of the WC Finals with 1 second left in the game and Kobe drives to the basket for a layup or dunk only to get his shot cleanly 'blocked' by Marcus Camby (if he were a Spur) then a block doesn't prove shit? Or the same scenerio in the NBA Finals between the Spurs and Celtics and Tim or Marcus 'blocks' the final shot attempt by KG, which had it not been blocked and the shot made, the Celtics would be repeat Champions, then the 'block' doesn't mean shit? If the Nets coaching staff believes that then no wonder the Nets have never won an NBA Championship. When was the last time any NBA team won the championship by being a purely offensive team and not a defensive minded team?

New scenario. Game 7 of the NBA Finals

Rajon Rondo is driving to the hoop, with Manu covering him. 4 seconds left. Manu has Rondo completely covered, and as Rondo fakes a shot, Camby comes across to help, leaving Kendrick Perkins open right under the basket, looking for the block. Rondo dishesto Perkins, and he slams it home. Game over.

Well, that was fun.

For god's sake, there is a difference between defense and blocks.

Mr Bones
02-15-2009, 04:59 PM

:lol Ah-ha, but maybe I am actually the terrorist and I've lulled you into complacency by tricking you into thinking I'm a hippie.

Either way, this vid is interesting as it critiques Camby's D and compares it (unfavorably) to that of Nene. Very interesting. Check it out.

http://www.pickaxeandroll.com/2008/9/29/624213/video-scouting-report-marc

Dramon
02-15-2009, 05:25 PM
So if the Spurs are ahead of the Lakers by one point in Game 7 of the WC Finals with 1 second left in the game and Kobe drives to the basket for a layup or dunk only to draw the foul and get two shots to put the game away because Camby decided it would be a good idea to get himself up in the air for the block. (if he were a Spur) Or the same scenerio in the NBA Finals between the Spurs and Celtics and Tim or Marcus 'blocks' the final shot attempt by KG, which had it not been blocked and the shot made, the Celtics would be repeat Champions, then the 'block' doesn't mean shit? If the Nets coaching staff believes that then no wonder the Nets have never won an NBA Championship. When was the last time any NBA team won the championship by being a purely offensive team and not a defensive minded team?

I fixed your scenario. Blocks matter, but to go for the block generally isn't smart, as not only can you no longer play help defense when you're in the air...a smart offensive player knows how to draw the foul and any smart defensive player knows this too. Theres a pretty big difference between Tim Duncan's blocks and Marcus Camby's (Josh Smith as well) blocks. Tim Duncan barely leaves the ground on his blocks allowing him to stay in a semi decent defensive position and Marcus Camby goes flying through the rafters everytime someone looks like theyre gonna shoot.

Mr Bones
02-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I fixed your scenario. Blocks matter, but to go for the block generally isn't smart, as not only can you no longer play help defense when you're in the air...a smart offensive player knows how to draw the foul and any smart defensive player knows this too. Theres a pretty big difference between Tim Duncan's blocks and Marcus Camby's (Josh Smith as well) blocks. Tim Duncan barely leaves the ground on his blocks allowing him to stay in a semi decent defensive position and Marcus Camby goes flying through the rafters everytime someone looks like theyre gonna shoot.

I agree that Duncan is the overall better defender, but Camby is not a dumb shotblocker. Take a look at this link: http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Blocks.jsp?league=00&season=22008&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=4&splitDD=All%20Teams

Camby leads the league in block/foul ratio, and has more blocks and fewer fouls than Duncan. Granted, Duncan doesn't get caught leaving his guy as much as Camby, but Camby's decision making regarding block attempts is still among the best in the league.

Muser
02-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Camby would be awesome IMO.

Everyone saying that Camby's D is a liability, well isn't Bonner/Thomas and Oberto's D worse?

DynastyBuilder
02-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Cavs are in the "we want Camby or Amare" mind frame as well - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/124630-cavs-trade-rumors-amare-or-camby

SouthTexasRancher
02-15-2009, 08:05 PM
New scenario. Game 7 of the NBA Finals

Rajon Rondo is driving to the hoop, with Manu covering him. 4 seconds left. Manu has Rondo completely covered, and as Rondo fakes a shot, Camby comes across to help, leaving Kendrick Perkins open right under the basket, looking for the block. Rondo dishesto Perkins, and he slams it home. Game over.

Well, that was fun.

For god's sake, there is a difference between defense and blocks.

Damn ZYiZ, you people in New Jersey need to get an edjuuumacation so you can learn to read.

Now re-read my post again or better yet have someone who can read, read it to you!!! So you won't have to go back and find it here it is...............

"So if the Spurs are ahead of the Lakers by one point in Game 7 of the WC Finals with 1 second left in the game and Kobe drives to the basket for a layup or dunk only to get his shot cleanly 'blocked' by Marcus Camby (if he were a Spur) then a block doesn't prove shit?Or the same scenerio in the NBA Finals between the Spurs and Celtics and Tim or Marcus 'blocks' the final shot attempt by KG, which had it not been blocked and the shot made, the Celtics would be repeat Champions, then the 'block' doesn't mean shit? If the Nets coaching staff believes that then no wonder the Nets have never won an NBA Championship. When was the last time any NBA team won the championship by being a purely offensive team and not a defensive minded team?"

I underlined the 'key' word {cleanly} for you to help you out.......look up the word 'cleanly'! My scenario was showing a 'CLEAN' block...thus NO passing and NO fouling.

Blocks do matter....but apparently ONLY to teams who win NBA Championships and their fans!!! Teams like the NJ Nets and Phoney Suns belong in the D-League. There they can and will learn just how important 'blocks' are in the game of basketball. We've had a couple of excellent blockers you may have heard of...Timmy Duncan and The Admiral, MR. Robinson, who did NOT like opponents coming into his neighborhood. In Mr. Robinson's own words, "get that junk outta here"!

Anyway, maybe one day you will get to see an NBA game. I hope you do, especially in person. You will then get to witness what a crucial block means.

SouthTexasRancher
02-15-2009, 08:08 PM

NO, you did NOT fix my scenario. I'll say the same thing to you...Learn How To Read!!! My scenario as originally posted stands and I rest my case!

meestahmeestah
02-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Anyway, maybe one day you will get to see an NBA game. I hope you do, especially in person. You will then get to witness what a crucial block means.

Speaking as someone who's seen a lot of NBA games in person, I've seen the scenario many, many times. 2Yiz was dead on.

How do I know? I live in Denver and saw Marcus Camby get eaten up on defense because he couldn't stand staying around the paint. It didn't help that he had Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and JR Smith all going for the steal every single time and biting for every jab-step and head-fake, of course. A couple of times a game, Camby would swat one into the 3rd row. Five or six times a game someone would dink a little bounce pass into the man Camby had left, and that guy would get a layup or a dunk.

If you expect Camby to be any sort of force in the paint on offense...well, if you believe that I've got a Tau Ceramica guaranteed contract with no buyout for you. One of the local talk show hosts (Oren from Denver, if you're a Jungle listener) likened Camby's jumper to an old, creaky fire truck ladder slowly going up. Camby got a lot of rebounds here in Denver and now with the Clips because bad teams shoot lazy jumpers. Lazy jumpers mean long rebounds, which is perfect for the 6'10" wiry guy who has no appetite for the paint.

Finally, I wish you all could have seen Tim stare through Camby when David Stern was in town that 1st round game to hand the DPOY trophy to Camby. While the rest of the Spurs kind of milled around and stretched/jogged to warm up, Tim stared at Camby the whole time. You know that stare I'm talking about too. The DPOY ceremony was happening between my seat and the Spurs, who were out on the floor around half court, so I had a perfect view of the whole thing. (I was around 10 rows behind the basket on the Nuggets' baseline) Bruce tried to tell Tim something, but Tim shook him off and went on to abuse Camby and the rest of the Nuggets that game.

Count me as a "pass" on Camby.

SouthTexasRancher
02-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Speaking as someone who's seen a lot of NBA games in person, I've seen the scenario many, many times. 2Yiz was dead on.

How do I know? I live in Denver and saw Marcus Camby get eaten up on defense because he couldn't stand staying around the paint. It didn't help that he had Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and JR Smith all going for the steal every single time and biting for every jab-step and head-fake, of course. A couple of times a game, Camby would swat one into the 3rd row. Five or six times a game someone would dink a little bounce pass into the man Camby had left, and that guy would get a layup or a dunk.

If you expect Camby to be any sort of force in the paint on offense...well, if you believe that I've got a Tau Ceramica guaranteed contract with no buyout for you. One of the local talk show hosts (Oren from Denver, if you're a Jungle listener) likened Camby's jumper to an old, creaky fire truck ladder slowly going up. Camby got a lot of rebounds here in Denver and now with the Clips because bad teams shoot lazy jumpers. Lazy jumpers mean long rebounds, which is perfect for the 6'10" wiry guy who has no appetite for the paint.

Finally, I wish you all could have seen Tim stare through Camby when David Stern was in town that 1st round game to hand the DPOY trophy to Camby. While the rest of the Spurs kind of milled around and stretched/jogged to warm up, Tim stared at Camby the whole time. You know that stare I'm talking about too. The DPOY ceremony was happening between my seat and the Spurs, who were out on the floor around half court, so I had a perfect view of the whole thing. (I was around 10 rows behind the basket on the Nuggets' baseline) Bruce tried to tell Tim something, but Tim shook him off and went on to abuse Camby and the rest of the Nuggets that game.

Count me as a "pass" on Camby.

This is starting to get funny. The reading level around America just keeps dropping lower and lower.

I'm going to try this one more time for those who canNOT read the English language.

My post was about a

'CLEAN' Block!!!

Hopefully the so-called stimulus package will provide schooling for some here!

And btw kid...I've been a Spurs season ticket holder for 20 years and I could care less whether you are a pass or not on Camby!

Mr Bones
02-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Camby got a lot of rebounds here in Denver and now with the Clips because bad teams shoot lazy jumpers. Lazy jumpers mean long rebounds, which is perfect for the 6'10" wiry guy who has no appetite for the paint.

But Camby is also tied for the league lead in defensive rebounds, which I think is also related to jump shots-- the jump shots that opposing players take because they are intimidated by his shotblocking prowess. I don't think Camby is Bill Russell or Tim Duncan defensively, but he's no scrub either.

Spur-Addict
02-16-2009, 12:27 AM
IOC-hDULX1c

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-16-2009, 04:09 AM
I'd grab Camby in a second, he'd be fantastic in our system and next to Tim, I'm just not sure that we have anything to get him with.

raspsa
02-16-2009, 04:24 AM
Its not just the blocks he makes but the other plays where he forces the opponent to change his shot.

Chieflion
02-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Camby's wingspan, leaping ability, standing reach, is a gift itself on the defensive end.