PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Parker Earns Place Among NBA’s Elite

duncan228
02-15-2009, 04:07 AM
Parker earns place among NBA’s elite (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parker_earns_place_among_NBAs_elite.html)
Mike Monroe

PHOENIX — There was a moment in the Spurs' victory at New Jersey on Tuesday that made All-Star guard Tony Parker flash back to his rookie season.

The Nets were outplaying the Spurs in the first half, and Devin Harris, now an All-Star himself, was outplaying Parker, as he sometimes did in his days with the Dallas Mavericks.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called an angry timeout, and Parker suddenly found himself nose-to-nose with his head coach — close enough to count the hairs in Popovich's silvery beard — while getting a high-decibel reminder about his shortcomings.

Parker listened intently, nodded his head, and smiled. Then he responded with the offensive aggression that has made him a Western Conference All-Star for the third time in his career.

“I reacted just like he wanted,” Parker said. “After the game, I told him, ‘After eight years, Pop, I still react to that. You should do it more often.'”

Parker understands the positive role Popovich's negative feedback has played in his development. Parker has grown into a point guard whose play keeps him in the All-Star mix every season. Today's game at the US Airways Center will be Parker's third All-Star contest in four seasons. He believes it would be his fourth straight appearance had he not missed 14 games because of an injury early last year.

At age 26, it is clear that Parker has established himself as one of the premier point guards in the game. He has earned the respect of the coaches who have voted for him as an All-Star reserve and opposition guards who have to contend with his basket of skills.

“Chris Paul, Tony Parker and Deron Williams, they're all so fast,” says Denver's All-Star point guard Chauncey Billups, back in the Western Conference after six seasons with the Pistons. “And you know what they say: Speed kills.

“Guys that are fast and can handle the ball like those guys are dangerous.”

Billups recalls playing against Parker for the first time, when he was still with Minnesota and Parker was a 19-year-old rookie whose pro experience had been entirely in the French league.

“He was quiet and timid a little bit, but you could see the skill level there,” Billups said. “Now, he's a perennial All-Star and a Finals MVP. He's done just about everything a point guard can do, and he's still young. He's going to continue to do it. He's become a great player.”

Tim Duncan, Parker's perennial All-Star teammate, remembers his first opinion of Parker, too.

“Put it this way: It was not very high,” Duncan said. “He was super-young and the only thing he had going for him was he was incredibly quick. But he was all about proving himself.”

Before he could prove himself to the rest of the NBA, he had to prove himself to Popovich. The Spurs coach recognized something special in his 19-year-old draftee, and challenged him, often at ear-splitting level, to respond to the challenge.

What Popovich quickly discovered was a player whose fortitude matched his physical gifts.

“Tony gets credit for living through it,” Popovich said of a tough love approach intended to discern Parker's emotional constitution. “It was the only way to find the answer as to whether he was going to have thechutzpah to be a hell of a player in the league.

“When a coach gives you the ball immediately when you're 19, I better find out quickly if I'm making the right choice or not.”

Parker, it turns out, was anxious to be tested.

“First of all,” he said, “in Europe we have a lot of coaches who scream. So, when Pop got on me, I thought, ‘He wants to make me better,' and I knew that was good for me.

“Sometimes it was hard. I would ask myself, ‘What does he want from me?' But I never thought it was bad for me. I know my personality. Sometimes I get a little nonchalant, so I knew it was good for me.”

As Parker's confidence grew, he became one of the league's most aggressive point guards at the offensive end because Popovich demanded it.

Once that aspect of his game was well established, Parker set about filling the biggest hole in his game: perimeter shooting. Now he is one of the league's most accurate shooters among guards, at 49.4 percent, and has the green light to fire away, from anywhere, at any time.

Parker had a 55-point game this season and is on pace for a career-high scoring average. But he believes his best years are still to come.

“In 10 years,” he said, “I don't want to look back and say 2009 was my best year. I feel I can play a lot better and I can definitely have a bigger impact than now.”

His goal in today's All-Star Game: Just have fun.

“In the regular season you have goals, because you want to help your team,” he said. “Here, I just want to enjoy the experience with the guys and see them in a different atmosphere, because there's no pressure.”

Pressure, Parker knows, is a coach who wants you to play at your very highest level.

Slomo
02-15-2009, 07:03 AM
... (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parker_earns_place_among_NBAs_elite.html)

“Sometimes it was hard. I would ask myself, ‘What does he want from me?' But I never thought it was bad for me. I know my personality. Sometimes I get a little nonchalant, so I knew it was good for me.”

I like how candid Tony is in his interviews :)

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Speaking of his honesty, during a Friday interview with Colin Cowhere, Parker was asked to evaluate the championship chances of teams like Utah and Portland. Did he think either could win the championship this year? Without hesistating he said no. He then gve them both credit for having talented rosters and being team that would be reckoned with in the future, but he proclaimed that Fakers and Spurs were simply too tough to beat in the playoffs.

Gotta love TP.

Rogue
02-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Speaking of his honesty, during a Friday interview with Colin Cowhere, Parker was asked to evaluate the championship chances of teams like Utah and Portland. Did he think either could win the championship this year? Without hesistating he said no. He then gve them both credit for having talented rosters and being team that would be reckoned with in the future, but he proclaimed that Fakers and Spurs were simply too tough to beat in the playoffs.

Gotta love TP.
but either fakers or spurs will be beaten in the playoffs anyway, or both being defeated. there's no possibility spurs and Fakers both appear in the finals.:lol

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 09:07 AM
...and there's not even a remote possibility the Mavs make it to the conference finals. :lol

Rogue
02-15-2009, 09:21 AM
...and there's not even a remote possibility the Mavs make it to the conference finals. :lol
I would like to see mavs and spurs play a rivalry series in WCF, but some spurs fans just want to see their team being demolished by lakers earlier in the 2nd round. :lol

LA Fakers play the most disgusting basketball on the planet, it's gonna be a big shame for us to play such a team in WCF. even their teamleader is that disgusting. :lol

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I would like to see mavs and spurs play a rivalry series in WCF, but some spurs fans just want to see their team being demolished by lakers in the WCF or even earlier in the 2nd round.:lol

WCF? Spurs/Mavs? :lol Keep dreamin'. That would be a neat trick. You should worry about your team just getting into the playoffs. How's that Devin Harris trade working out? :lol

Rogue
02-15-2009, 09:32 AM
at least Devin Harris trade is a trade instead of a robery, Fakers would have been even worse than the rockets if they hadn't robbed the grizzlies. mavs didn't and won't ever do a trade that benefits ourselves at the expense of harming another team.

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Stupid Grizzlies management get the blame for willingly bending over on that one.

Rogue
02-15-2009, 09:40 AM
who knows what kind of despicable tricks the fakers used in that robbery.

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Fakers have a history of brilliant, yet shrewd moves, whereas they've fleeced unsuspecting teams. In the '78-'79 playoffs, the Fakers had just advanced to the WCSF series and lost to the eventual NBA Champion Seattle Supersonics. Their reward 2 months later? They used a number one pick they stockpiled. The result of a trade, in which they'd fleeced the then New Orleans Jazz. That pick became the number one overall pick in the NBA draft, which the Fakers selected a rookie PG named Magic Johnson.

Un"freaking"believable!

Rogue
02-15-2009, 10:09 AM
wow, I've almost forgotten that. thanks for reminding me of the fakers' "brilliant" history.

ducks
02-15-2009, 11:35 AM
“I reacted just like he wanted,” Parker said. “After the game, I told him, ‘After eight years, Pop, I still react to that. You should do it more often.'”
that was beno' s problem he pouted instead

Amuseddaysleeper
02-15-2009, 12:29 PM
:tu

stéphane
02-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Typical Tony...
He's not cocky or arrogant as some here think but really has strong self confidence and that's what makes him a real floor leader for us. He knows his strenghts but also his weaknesses...

TheTruth
02-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Loved this article. Only 26 years old. WOW!

Duncan79
02-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi, I'm from Russia (town Belgorod). I like "SAN ANTONIO SPURS" since 1989, then NBA come to my country. Especially like David "the Admiral" Robinson.
Parker is cool player - king of break. I like your forum. :-))))

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi, I'm from Russia (town Belgorod). I like "SAN ANTONIO SPURS" since 1989, then NBA come to my country. Especially like David "the Admiral" Robinson.

Welcome and greetings from across the pond.

Just curious. How did you become a Spurs fan?

Red Hawk #21
02-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I love TP man, a couple of years ago when I played High School ball I modeled my game after his.

Brazil
02-15-2009, 02:14 PM

Welcome on board!!

Duncan79
02-15-2009, 02:26 PM
From season 89-90 then the champions become Pistons - in Russia start NBA. I like player David Robinson. I resent then in '95 The Admiral & The Worm do not play up The Dream & Co. But i'm be very glad then Robinson & Duncan scoff at others in NBA. I always download older matchs with Spurs. I very long look for match against the Detroit Pistons on February 17, 1994 (quadruple-double of Robinson).

Manufan909
02-15-2009, 02:37 PM
From season 89-90 then the champions become Pistons - in Russia start NBA. I like player David Robinson. I resent then in '95 The Admiral & The Worm do not play up The Dream & Co. But i'm be very glad then Robinson & Duncan scoff at others in NBA. I always download older matchs with Spurs. I very long look for match against the Detroit Pistons on February 17, 1994 (quadruple-double of Robinson).

Hope you find it!!!
:flag::flag::flag: