PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Balls Don't Bounce In Spurs' Favor

duncan228
02-15-2009, 04:10 AM
Balls don't bounce in Spurs' favor (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/nba/Balls_dont_bounce_in_Spurs_favor.html)
Mike Monroe

PHOENIX — Everywhere Roger Mason Jr. has gone since arriving here on Thursday night, local citizens have approached him with a message.

“I've had more people come up to me, telling me I ruined their Christmas here in Phoenix, than you can imagine,” Mason said after the 3-point shootout at US Airways Center, part of the All-Star Saturday event of All-Star Weekend. “Every little kid said that to me, so I'm not surprised they booed me.”

Oh, yes. Mason was the only 3-point shooter booed when he was introduced Saturday, a direct result of his buzzer-beating 3-point shot that gave the Spurs a 91-90 victory over the Suns in a nationally televised Christmas Day game.

“I expected it,” he said.

Mason also expected to make more shots than 11 of 25. He scored only 13 points, two of his makes being “money balls,” worth two points apiece. He failed to advance to the second round in the six-man competition, won by Miami's Daequan Cook.

Mason would have advanced to the second round had he made his last shot of the first round, the two-point ball from the right corner. Though he has won four games for the Spurs this season with late shots, his final shot on Saturday rimmed out.

“It was an interesting situation, very different,” he said of the final shot. “We're all used to catching and shooting, or shooting off the dribble. These racks, you've got to get a rhythm, and I didn't get my rhythm.

“I was surprised at myself. When I did practice, I was averaging 19 or 20. Obviously, this is different, but I was surprised at myself.”

One thing Mason didn't expect Saturday were the boos his teammates participating in Saturday events received. Tim Duncan and Tony Parker also got their share of Bronx cheers.

Duncan and Parker, of course, have helped spoil the Suns' playoffs three of the past four seasons.

None of the Spurs involved in Saturday's competitions fared well. That included the defending champion “shooting stars” team of Duncan, David Robinson and Silver Stars guard Becky Hammon. They finished third in the four-team competition that was won by the Detroit team. The Spurs failed to advance past the first round.

Parker finished last in the skills competition, won by Bulls rookie Derrick Rose. Parker had the slowest time on the course, which involved passing, dribbling and shooting.

In addition to being disappointed with his showing in the long-distance shootout, Mason also had to deal with hearing his name involved in a trade rumor. A report in the Newark Star-Ledger had Mason, George Hill, Bruce Bowen and Fabricio Oberto going to the Nets for forward Vince Carter.

“I heard something about that,” Mason said. “Part of the business. I must be doing something right. Vince is a great player. But I love San Antonio. You know every day there's trade rumors. You stay prepared, but at the same time, it's a business.”

Nets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe, while not commenting specifically on the Spurs' reported interest in Carter, denied the report.

“There's nothing going on with Vince Carter,” Vandeweghe said.

WalterBenitez
02-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Phoenix'fans are stupi!

m33p0
02-15-2009, 05:25 AM
hate your owner not our player, kids.

Texas_Ranger
02-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Those fans really are idiots!

Deimosfobos
02-15-2009, 05:46 AM
Better to be booed than ignored...

Nathan Explosion
02-15-2009, 06:54 AM
If you're being booed for that reason, then you must be doing something right.

Ice009
02-15-2009, 07:20 AM
hmm I thought Mason must have heard those rumors by now. I asked about it before. I wonder what he thinks or if what he said is pretty much it and he's not going to let it affect him.

igorotme
02-15-2009, 07:23 AM
:sleep its kinda hurts for those kids hehehe!

spurss fans are adult lol!

Kamnik
02-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Oh man.... I bet he felt good. Fans booing you for killing their team in a basketball game... must be priceless, even though he cant show his smuggy smile :D

Bad Boy Spurs! :D

STX_21
02-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Their fans are idiots? Yall get a life. It must be the best feeling in the world to get booed like that. They're getting booed because they've killed this city year after year. If I were a basketball player, I'd hope I'm doing something to be booed for by opposing stadiums, especially playoff rivals. Keep it up Pheonix fans!!!!!!!!

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Balls don't bounce in Spurs' favor (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/nba/Balls_dont_bounce_in_Spurs_favor.html)
Mike Monroe

PHOENIX — Everywhere Roger Mason Jr. has gone since arriving here on Thursday night, local citizens have approached him with a message.

“I've had more people come up to me, telling me I ruined their Christmas here in Phoenix, than you can imagine,” Mason said after the 3-point shootout at US Airways Center, part of the All-Star Saturday event of All-Star Weekend. “Every little kid said that to me, so I'm not surprised they booed me.”

Oh, yes. Mason was the only 3-point shooter booed when he was introduced Saturday, a direct result of his buzzer-beating 3-point shot that gave the Spurs a 91-90 victory over the Suns in a nationally televised Christmas Day game.

“I expected it,” he said.

Mason getting booed by Suns fans? He's truly a Spur now.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-15-2009, 01:32 PM
My vbookie, my venables!

Biggems
02-15-2009, 01:38 PM
If the Spurs didnt get booed in PHX, after everything we have done to the Suns.....it would bother me.

cool hand
02-15-2009, 01:39 PM
he loves San Antonio......something you don't here everyday from these guys.

Red Hawk #21
02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Spurs fans you should be proud!