PDA

View Full Version : ASG Weekend Report

PeterBurns
02-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Not that anybody gives a ****, but I'd thought I'd share to random thoughts over the weekend.

1) Amazing how much the people here in PHX hate the Spurs. I thought Denver was back, but not only last night with all the Spurs players getting boo'd, but whenever I would meet people, and they found I was from SA, you could see their attitude change. Pretty sad actually.

2) The Security down here was unreal. Every party, and all the events had Metal Detectors. Let's just say it was an interesting crowd that gathered. I saw 5 arrests and, witnessed what I think was a tasering.

3) NBA ballers have much better trophy wives than NFL players. For whatever reason, I thought I'd see arm candy at the Super Bowl....Negative. NBA players do it right

4) Not a surprise, but several of the Spurs organization do actually read Spurstalk quite often. Both because they enjoy the site, but also to keep an eye of leaks...etc.

5) In N Out Burger. 'Nuff Said
6) Trade for a big does not look like it's going to happen. Not a shocker, but a smaller trade might. Wallace and Camby appear to be pipe dreams.

7) The players like the fact that Pop doesn't make them so media-available.

8) While everyone rolls with an Entourage, Luis Scola just rolls solo. No one else with him.

9) Lebron is the New MJ. When leaving last night, we left out the same media exit, and you can tell just the way everyone stares, including current players....he's got that IT factor

10) The NBA Live 09 Party in Scottsdale was sick. Tony hosted it, his table was right above ours with EA. Him, Barbosa, Diaw. Tony had his dad and small entourage in tow. Dj Jazzy Jeff was the DJ. Tony looked bored as hell in the corner, on the phone all night. Clearly a contract deal with EA for the cover

11) ASU campus is quite nice. The Coeds are much nicer. The hot girl ratio was out of control

12) Becky Hammon is even hotter as a brunette, and that's rare for me to say.

13) Skills challenge kinda sucked. 3 Point contest was good, and the whole crowd stood up for the Slam Dunk Contest

14) Shaq was sitting courtside with his wife/ex wife. Guess they made up

15) TNT's party last night had Maroon 5 Playing, while Ludacris had his own party, and so did Jay Z. Oddly, I didn't hear anybody getting shot

16) Tony seemed bored with the entire weekend, while Mason looked like a kid in the candy store.

duncan228
02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Not that anybody gives a ****, but I'd thought I'd share to random thoughts over the weekend.

I give a ****. :lol

Thanks for the first hand account, it's fun to hear stuff we'd have no way of knowing without you sharing your experience. Hope you've got more after the game.

Dex
02-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Nice thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

Glad to hear Mason is enjoying himself. He really earned the trip to be out there. Too bad he didn't fair better in the competition.

Very interesting to read that the Spurs org keeps radar on Spurstalk. Not entirely surprising, since this site HAS to be the leading source for Spurs news and updates. Still can't help but wonder if the players are ever lurking around here. Hi Tim!

As for Lebron, I'm with Kenny Smith on this one:
Lebron != MJ until he at least tries to win a dunk contest. It definitely would only increase his 'scare factor'. (In all earnesty, Lebron != MJ until he wins a dunk contest, AND a gottamn championship at least). But saying that he will compete in the Slam Dunk Contest is a step in the right direction.

polandprzem
02-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Tony is tired :)

IMO players should have one more or two more says off before the ASW, wanting to come there with fresh attiude cause they are going for a basketball party!
Have freaking fun!

m33p0
02-15-2009, 01:26 PM
1) Amazing how much the people here in PHX hate the Spurs. I thought Denver was back, but not only last night with all the Spurs players getting boo'd, but whenever I would meet people, and they found I was from SA, you could see their attitude change. Pretty sad actually.
i was just watching a rerun of the '02 All-Star in Philly. Kobe was getting the treatment. AND IT WAS HIS HOMETOWN! the sideline reporter didn't help by bringing in the fact that the kobester was being booed. :lol

FreeMason
02-15-2009, 01:35 PM
If I were a Spur I would be watching my back 24/7 while in PHX.

I can only imagine how much hatred must be there after the last half-decade of ownage.

scanry
02-15-2009, 01:42 PM
i was just watching a rerun of the '02 All-Star in Philly. Kobe was getting the treatment. AND IT WAS HIS HOMETOWN! the sideline reporter didn't help by bringing in the fact that the kobester was being booed. :lol

That isn't too bad compared to the ones after the rape charges.

Biggems
02-15-2009, 01:42 PM
i totally disagree with you Burns.....

as much as I prefer brunettes to blondes....Becky looks way better and much hotter as a blonde. She also looks more innocent and girl next door as a blonde.

jaffies
02-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Good stuff.

5) In N Out Burger. 'Nuff Said

11) ASU campus is quite nice. The Coeds are much nicer. The hot girl ratio was out of control

I can attest to these being 1,000% true.

Red Hawk #21
02-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Wow sounds fun, good stuff

EricB
02-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Good stuff.

I can attest to these being 1,000% true.

As can I.

Kori Ellis
02-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Is this your first time going to All-Star weekend, Pete?

We went for four years in a row but haven't gone the last two years. It's ironic that we didn't go this year since I'm from Phoenix.

pkbpkb81
02-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks Peter good stuff keep us updated

Southwest Texas Fan
02-15-2009, 02:54 PM
What do tickets run for the all star games? Do they have different packages?

Ice009
02-15-2009, 03:04 PM
6) Trade for a big does not look like it's going to happen. Not a shocker, but a smaller trade might. Wallace and Camby appear to be pipe dreams.

Thanks for the info. Peter.

Can you elaborate on point 6?

PeterBurns
02-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Is this your first time going to All-Star weekend, Pete?

We went for four years in a row but haven't gone the last two years. It's ironic that we didn't go this year since I'm from Phoenix.

Yeah...1st trip to ASG Weekend.
It's good, not as fun as Super Bowl Week, but still damn good.

US Airways center is pretty cool, Tickets for the Slam Dunk and 3 Point Contest were like $200 for upper level, $600+ for lower level.

The weather was freaking perfect. Just got back in. Didn't get a chance to stay for the game, because I've got the show tomorrow, and don't think my liver could take another night out in Scottsdale.

PeterBurns
02-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Peter.

Can you elaborate on point 6?

Just that the peeps I spoke to, said that they are talking with teams, but it's common every year. They said, they crack up at some of the ideas people push along via websites. (That's why I said some of the Spurs org follows the site)

PeterBurns
02-15-2009, 03:08 PM
And and it's true....The Live version of "Let it Rock" they played last night sucked worse in person than on TV. Great song, terrible live

tp2021
02-15-2009, 03:43 PM
12) Becky Hammon is even hotter as a brunette, and that's rare for me to say.

Agreed.

angel_luv
02-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the update. That is so neat that you are able to attend events like that.
You are very blessed. :)

wildbill2u
02-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Living in a wrecked sailboat on the coast, I'm somewhat out of touch. I guess I may be the only one on SpursTalk who has no idea who Peter Burns is--or why (how) he gets all this neat inside info from Spurs organization. Can someone clue me in?

Kori Ellis
02-15-2009, 04:13 PM
What do tickets run for the all star games? Do they have different packages?

To the actual game, tickets are pretty hard to get unless you pay top dollar to a scalper. They don't go on sale to the general public. To All-Star Saturday night - not too hard to get but usually $150++ a seat.

Kori Ellis
02-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah...1st trip to ASG Weekend.
It's good, not as fun as Super Bowl Week, but still damn good.

US Airways center is pretty cool, Tickets for the Slam Dunk and 3 Point Contest were like $200 for upper level, $600+ for lower level.

The weather was freaking perfect. Just got back in. Didn't get a chance to stay for the game, because I've got the show tomorrow, and don't think my liver could take another night out in Scottsdale.

Yeah the parties take their toll. We went to the All-Star weekend in Vegas, L.A., Denver and .. (somewhere else). The best party we went to was thrown by a bunch of scrub players :lol in L.A.

Kori Ellis
02-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Living in a wrecked sailboat on the coast, I'm somewhat out of touch. I guess I may be the only one on SpursTalk who has no idea who Peter Burns is--or why (how) he gets all this neat inside info from Spurs organization. Can someone clue me in?

Pete is a sports talk show host on Ticket 760 (and a friend of mine).

Buddy Holly
02-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Worst All-Star weekend I've ever watched. Seriously.

urunobili
02-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the pointers... TP sounds to be in an all business kinda tude.. i like that... hopefully no big on its way means sign Pops...

Amuseddaysleeper
02-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Do any of the Spurs players themselves read SpursTalk?

I bet Manu does since he loves surfing the web so much.