PDA

View Full Version : Gentry in, Porter out for Suns

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-15-2009, 05:45 PM
by Paul Coro - Feb. 15, 2009 02:34 PM
The Arizona Republic

Alvin Gentry will take over Monday as the Suns' interim head coach with first-year coach Terry Porter being fired by then, multiple team sources confirmed Sunday.

Porter is being replaced by his lead assistant coach after the Suns went through a 6-10 stretch that put them at 28-23 before the All-Star break. In June, Porter had signed with Phoenix for a three-year contract, which sources said Sunday was guaranteed through the third season in contrast to previous reports. His annual salary was in the $2 million range.

Gentry, 54, joined the Suns as an assistant at the outset of the franchise's turnaround upon Steve Nash's arrival in 2004. He was the only coaching staff holder from the Mike D'Antoni staff and is expect to return the Suns' to their previous season's style, a change that had been underway since December.

This will be Gentry's third stint as an interim head coach and his fourth turn as a head coach in the NBA, where he has coached for 20 years. Gentry also was a midseason replacement for Kevin Loughery in Miami and Doug Collins in Detroit. Including Gentry's work as the Los Angeles Clippers' coach, he had an overall record of 177-226 but was coaching far less talented teams than this Suns one that is currently a ninth-place disappointment in the Western Conference.

Finally, it's official.

kcplayboi_26
02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
The Arizona Republic

Alvin Gentry will take over Monday as the Suns' interim head coach with first-year coach Terry Porter being fired by then, multiple team sources confirmed Sunday.

Porter is being replaced by his lead assistant coach after the Suns went through a 6-10 stretch that put them at 28-23 before the All-Star break. In June, Porter had signed with Phoenix for a three-year contract, which sources said Sunday was guaranteed through the third season in contrast to previous reports. His annual salary was in the $2 million range.

Gentry, 54, joined the Suns as an assistant at the outset of the franchise's turnaround upon Steve Nash's arrival in 2004. He was the only coaching staff holder from the Mike D'Antoni staff and is expect to return the Suns' to their previous season's style, a change that had been underway since December.

This will be Gentry's third stint as an interim head coach and his fourth turn as a head coach in the NBA, where he has coached for 20 years. Gentry also was a midseason replacement for Kevin Loughery in Miami and Doug Collins in Detroit. Including Gentry's work as the Los Angeles Clippers' coach, he had an overall record of 177-226 but was coaching far less talented teams than this Suns one that is currently a ninth-place disappointment in the Western Conference.

Finally, it's official.

yesssssssss finally, does that mean they keep Amare to see how he does in the old style? what would you do?????

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
yesssssssss finally, does that mean they keep Amare to see how he does in the old style? what would you do?????

My guess is they either keep Gorillamare or trade him to Detroit. This firing basically says they aren't going to start rebuilding this season. I expect no deals to be done.

And if it were up to me, I would start rebuilding and make it Amare's team for the last 30+ games. I think the best way to improve Amare is if he has to do it all on a crappy team for awhile so he learns how important team play is and he learns how to create his own shot and make his teammates better.

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
The Arizona Republic

Finally, it's official.

You must be very happy! I understand this is the hire that many players wanted in the first place. Now if they just get Stoudamire out of town, I'm sure you're going to be ecstatic. :lol

pauls931
02-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Damn, I was hoping for Westphal to come back...

Ghazi
02-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Lateral move

pkbpkb81
02-15-2009, 07:29 PM
good for don harris's brother in law

Bob Lanier
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.

KaiRMD1
02-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Good for Phoenix (Applauds)

Gino
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
About three months too late.

Firing Porter was the EASY part. Now how do they get rid of Shaq?

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Suns should trade Nash and Barnes for Ricky Sobers and Walter Davis

peskypesky
02-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Do they keep paying Porter?

pauls931
02-15-2009, 10:15 PM

My guess would be yes with the morons running the show. BTW, doesn't Dallas pay for Finley on your squad?

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 10:33 PM

Yes. I'm not sure about the final year of the contract, but the first 2 years are guaranteed. Coaches contracts usually are.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-15-2009, 10:58 PM
You must be very happy! I understand this is the hire that many players wanted in the first place. Now if they just get Stoudamire out of town, I'm sure you're going to be ecstatic. :lol

At this point they might as well keep him. When I said trade him, I wanted Kerr to do it quietly and get a solid offer. I didn't want him to curl up in the fetal position and scream, "We're trading Amare we just want cap relief Wally Scerbiak for JJ Hickson is good!!!"