PDA

View Full Version : Splitter Tears Hamstring (January 2009)

pineflatt
02-15-2009, 06:30 PM
http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2009/01/tiago-splitter-out-for-3-weeks.html

Hours before the team opened the Top 16 at home on Wednesday night, Tau Ceramica announced that all-Euroleague center Tiago Splitter(2.11-C) will miss at least two games with a muscle tear in his left leg. After being unable to practice on Tuesday, Splitter underwent tests that revealed a micro-tear in his left hamstring. Team doctors estimate his recovery period at "around three weeks".

Splitter ranked third among all Euroleague players in performance index rating during the regular season as Tau won its group with an 8-2 record. The 23-year-old center from Brazil posted averages of 15.4 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.8 blocks in less than 25 minutes per game.

Those numbers made him the second-best shot-blocker and fifth-ranked scorer in the competition. Splitter was named to the all-Euroleague first team in 2007-08, his fifth season with Tau, during which time they have reached four consecutive Final Fours together. Tau hosts Asseco Prokom Sopot in the first Group E game for both teams on Wednesday

benefactor
02-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Fail on the thread title. You made it sound like this was actually something serious.

Mr Bones
02-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Hopefully he'll be totally healed by 2011!

Stump
02-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Hopefully he'll be totally healed by 2011!
Hopefully he is healed ASAP. Good luck to him.

Ditty
02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
hopefully he'll be traded before 2011 i see a bust seriously

Bruno
02-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Old news.
Splitter has still recovered of this injury and was back on the court yesterday against Madrid.

SenorSpur
02-15-2009, 07:14 PM
His rebounding averages are pretty pedestrian

jermaine
02-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Dam that fool! He bailed on us at the last minute. He knew he didnt want to come over to the NBA from the jump. That is going to turn into a Scola deal.:bang

Manufan909
02-15-2009, 08:02 PM

I think that inflates to around 7 or 8 in the NBA, which is fantastic for 25 mins a game.

KBP would know.

Mal
02-15-2009, 08:25 PM
He was in lineup vs Madrid on Saturday. He missed two important FT by the end of game. And Tau lost, despite having over 20 pts in the 1st half. That team is very strange. They can win with anybody in Europe, and lost to some weird teams.

Obstructed_View
02-15-2009, 09:37 PM

Until you apply the "euro to NBA formula of rebounds", at which point he averages somewhere between 7 and 22 rebounds per 27 minutes of play, and anyone else is lierz.

mystargtr34
02-15-2009, 09:41 PM

The game is extremely slow paced so statistics can be a bit mis leading. Normally a full game consists of about 30 rebounds for each team, or about 75% of a normal NBA game.

Scola is a good example, he was a career 6 RPG guy in the Euroleague, yet hes one of the best rebounders in the NBA.

objective
02-15-2009, 10:02 PM
True, Scola, who was hated on for his rebounding skills, has more double-digit rebounding games in this half-season alone than Oberto has in his entire NBA career.

8 rebounds a game in less than 29 minutes is very solid.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
02-15-2009, 11:09 PM
that post was originally made over two weeks ago

Spur-Addict
02-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Old news.
Splitter has still recovered of this injury and was back on the court yesterday against Madrid.

:lol

Until you apply the "euro to NBA formula of rebounds", at which point he averages somewhere between 7 and 22 rebounds per 27 minutes of play, and anyone else is lierz.

raspsa
02-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Relieved to hear it was just a minor injury.. still it shows why, in general, pro athletes are wise to take as much money as early as possible in their careers.. one never knows when it can all come to an end.

Harry Callahan
02-16-2009, 08:36 AM
I wonder if the general economic downturn will make it tougher for these Euro outfits to pay NBA type money to its players.

I also wonder if Splitter's family issues (trying to support his ill sister who recently passed away) was a big reason to take the big Tau deal back in 2007.

It's too bad SA has no flexibility right now in trying to sign this guy next year due to the rookie pay scale. I think there is a two year option for Splitter to look at the NBA (2009-10). SA will definitely have a lot of cap room to spend on players in 2010.

I still think playing in the NBA means something to all basketball players even if the financial playing field has changed a lot.

afireinside20
02-19-2009, 08:56 AM
That's what he gets for not coming to the Spurs. :p:

GSH
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
It's that grueling 10-game schedule that did it. They should have been resting him for the playoffs.

WalterBenitez
02-19-2009, 09:51 AM
We need Tiago, those rebounds in the paint will be welcome; hope his rights don't finish in HOuston.

NFGIII
02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Spittler would be a welcome sight in SA. If he rebounds with any consistency this will help the Spurs alot, especially TD as it would take some of the burden off of his shoulders in the paint. Hopefully he can come over when his buyout is reasonable but as HC pointed out the economic landscape has changed much. If the $$ are more important then, regardless of the reasons - taking care of family ...etc, then he will probably never come over to the NBA.

That would be unfortunate for the Spurs since he has some of the skills that they need to help them win another title.

PDXSpursFan
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Tiago = Fran Vasquez part 2

yavozerb
02-22-2009, 07:17 PM
DraftExpress:

Tau Vitoria fans have clearly been the loudest and most impressive bunch amongst the eight fan bases that united to celebrate the Copa del Rey, and it's only fitting that their team put together a masterful performance to thoroughly dismantle Barcelona and advance to the finals.

Igor Rakocevic, arguably the best player in Europe these days (surely based on production) carried the Baskonians to a 90-77 victory with a 27 point outing. Tiago Splitter more than held his own with 17 points in 21 minutes before fouling out (the fans, ironically chant “MVP!” in English to him, not Rakocevic) while Pablo Prigioni ran the show in typical fashion, delivering an extremely balanced all-around performance.

Tau did a great job emphasizing the main contrasts we find between NBA and European basketball—the physicality that the referees tolerate on the floor. They put a tremendous amount of pressure on the ball, suffocating Barcelona's guards all night long, while especially keying in on Juan Carlos Navarro, not giving him an inch (or rather, a centimeter) to breathe. Prigioni and Sergi Vidal bumped him off every screen, often switching or trapping aggressively on screens, which is made entirely possible by the presence of Tiago Splitter, looking as nimble as ever guarding the perimeter.

Our esteemed Director of International Scouting, Luis Fernandez, warned me the night before not to go too far heaping praises on Barcelona, a message that was foolishly ignored. In Fernandez's words: “Barcelona played a good game [against Real Madrid] but this team usually doesn't play up to its potential. They rely too much on Navarro to create from the perimeter, and he's not always so brilliant, while they don't have a reliable point guard. Sada has played some great games, but he's limited when it comes to scoring the ball and his presence tends to create offensive jams if the opponent team plays intelligent defense. Not to mention Grimau, who fortunately wasn't important in this game, but likes to take too many decisions (and he's the dumbest player on their perimeter).”

Quite prophetically, this is exactly the way this game evolved. Tau's game-plan was clearly to shut down Navarro (specifically his perimeter shooting—where he made just 1/6), and that worked to perfection. Far too many of Barcelona's possessions revolved around Navarro over-dribbling while his teammates stood around looking for spot-up jumpers, and no one else was really able to get into any type of offensive flow. Navarro was able to be Barcelona's Mr. Everything in the quarterfinals—creating offense for himself and his teammates on every possession seemingly—but it's unrealistic to expect him to carry that kind of workload every single game.

In addition, Barcelona's other main guard, Victor Sada, looked absolutely exhausted at the end of the game yesterday, being asked to carry double-duties defensively next to the offensive minded Navarro. Andre Barrett's DNP-CD yesterday really spoke volumes about the lack of faith rookie Coach Xavi Pascual has in him at this stage. The return of Jaka Lakovic from injury would help relieve the pressure on Barcelona's backcourt moving forward, but he still seems to be a ways away from being healthy. Anything less than an ACB championship and Euroleague Final Four appearance would be considered a huge disappointment considering their massive budget, which would surely put Coach Pascual firmly on the hotseat, right next to his embattled counterpart in Real Madrid, Joan Plaza. Former Spanish national team head coach Pepu Hernandez is already waiting in the wings.

Tau Vitoria's rivals in the finals, Unicaja Malaga, look to have their hands full, as not only will they be playing their third game in three days, they really have not looked all that impressive at any point here in Madrid. They seem to miss the creativity of their top guard, Carlos Cabezas (injured) and look all too content uglying the game up while pounding the ball inside. As good as Tau's backcourt is, this game will likely be decided along the frontlines, especially in their matchup with Marcus Haislip, who has looked absolutely brilliant at times. We'll have to see what kind of magic Coach Aito (coach of the Spanish national team in the Olympics and last year's Copa del Rey winners, DKV Joventut) can pull out of his hat this time.

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 07:29 PM
DraftExpress:

Tau Vitoria fans have clearly been the loudest and most impressive bunch amongst the eight fan bases that united to celebrate the Copa del Rey, and it's only fitting that their team put together a masterful performance to thoroughly dismantle Barcelona and advance to the finals.

Igor Rakocevic, arguably the best player in Europe these days (surely based on production) carried the Baskonians to a 90-77 victory with a 27 point outing. Tiago Splitter more than held his own with 17 points in 21 minutes before fouling out (the fans, ironically chant “MVP!” in English to him, not Rakocevic) while Pablo Prigioni ran the show in typical fashion, delivering an extremely balanced all-around performance.

Tau did a great job emphasizing the main contrasts we find between NBA and European basketball—the physicality that the referees tolerate on the floor. They put a tremendous amount of pressure on the ball, suffocating Barcelona's guards all night long, while especially keying in on Juan Carlos Navarro, not giving him an inch (or rather, a centimeter) to breathe. Prigioni and Sergi Vidal bumped him off every screen, often switching or trapping aggressively on screens, which is made entirely possible by the presence of Tiago Splitter, looking as nimble as ever guarding the perimeter.

For vet NBA/Euro watchers, has the NBA ever allowed the same physicality, cuz Euro ball sounds like a major incentive to get cable(or whatever I'd need to buy to see those games on tv), I like when the refs decide to allow physical play from both teams.

Penya
02-22-2009, 07:46 PM

Fran Vázquez doesn't have a brain. Tiago does. He stayed in Vitoria due to his sister's cancer -he didn't want changes in his life.
I'm sure he'll be in SA in 2010.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
I wonder if the general economic downturn will make it tougher for these Euro outfits to pay NBA type money to its players.

I also wonder if Splitter's family issues (trying to support his ill sister who recently passed away) was a big reason to take the big Tau deal back in 2007.

It's too bad SA has no flexibility right now in trying to sign this guy next year due to the rookie pay scale. I think there is a two year option for Splitter to look at the NBA (2009-10). SA will definitely have a lot of cap room to spend on players in 2010.

I still think playing in the NBA means something to all basketball players even if the financial playing field has changed a lot.

Russian clubs will have to cut budgets. Greek clubs will not be affected. So it will mainly be PAO and Olympiacos that can go after any NBA player. That will probably only Euro teams doing this for next couple years.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 08:18 PM

:downspin:

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 08:21 PM
For vet NBA/Euro watchers, has the NBA ever allowed the same physicality, cuz Euro ball sounds like a major incentive to get cable(or whatever I'd need to buy to see those games on tv), I like when the refs decide to allow physical play from both teams.

No. European game is much more physical. Most physical of all is Euroleague, Greek league, very best clubs of Spain (like TAU) and Italy (Siena) and Russia (CSKA) and Eurobasket.

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 08:31 PM
So the Spanish League overall isn't as physical as Euroleague or Greek, but Tau could rough it up in those leagues?

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 08:45 PM
KBP is a major homer. The Greek league may be more physical than the Spanish League (teams generally play a more grind out style), but it's not that big of a difference, while the gap on quality is fairly big in favour of the Spaniards. There are 2 quality teams in Greece (which basically don't lose games during the entire season) plus a couple of above average ones, but in the ACB every game counts and the overall quality of the game is much higher.

TAU is one of the best teams in Europe (they made last season Final 4, unlike any greek team and they have a good chance of winning it all this season). They're as good as the 2 best Greek teams and vastly superior to any other one.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 08:47 PM
KBP is a major homer. The Greek league may be more physical than the Spanish League (teams generally play a more grind out style), but it's not that big of a difference, while the gap on quality is fairly big in favour of the Spaniards. There are 2 quality teams in Greece (which basically don't lose games during the entire season) plus a couple of above average ones, but in the ACB every game counts and the overall quality of the game is much higher.

TAU is one of the best teams in Europe (they made last season Final 4, unlike any greek team and they have a good chance of winning it all this season). They're as good as the 2 best Greek teams and vastly superior to any other one.

Nonsense. Greek clubs Panellinios, Aris, Panionios, Maroussi any of these clubs is better than #6-16 clubs of Spain. Also some of them like Panionios and Maroussi is better than #5 club of Spain.

Also Olympiacos is in same level as any team of Spain, actually only Spanish club better than them is maybe TAU and even this is debatable and Panathinaikos is better than any Spanish club.

Spain league is just a little barely better than Greek league because it has some better mid level clubs like Unicaja and Real that Greece does not have in this time because clubs like AEK and PAOK and even Aris are not trying like they once did.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
So the Spanish League overall isn't as physical as Euroleague or Greek, but Tau could rough it up in those leagues?

Some Spanish clubs are physical overall is not though. Some clubs in Spain like Rubios club is soft as can be. TAU is physical though.

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Nonsense. Greek clubs Panellinios, Aris, Panionios, Maroussi any of these clubs is better than #6-16 clubs of Spain. Also some of them like Panionios and Maroussi is better than #5 club of Spain.

Also Olympiacos is in same level as any team of Spain and Panathinaikos is better than any Spanish club.

That's ridiculous. Nobody over here really cares (and if they do, they can just check the records), so I'll just leave this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCH_Re-aNv0

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
That's ridiculous. Nobody over here really cares (and if they do, they can just check the records), so I'll just leave this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCH_Re-aNv0

What records? Do you even realize that Maroussi is in same division as Khimki and Dynamo Moscow and they will probably advance and one of Russian clubs will not? And club like Panionios is better than club like Joventut.

And what do you mean records? So Olympiacos has 2 losses in Greece and so does PAO. And TAU has 2 losses in Spain. What is your point?

mystargtr34
02-22-2009, 08:59 PM

Except Vasquez is an average role player even in Europe, while Splitter is a Euroleague MVP and arguably the best player in Europe.

yavozerb
02-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, Draft express will be posting some info on Splitter tommorow about his NBA status. Just thought I would let you know.

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Update us when it comes up, yazo. Please and thanks.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Except Vasquez is an average role player even in Europe, while Splitter is a Euroleague MVP and arguably the best player in Europe.

Just like NBA fans keep say Scola is Euroleague MVP and is not true this is not true either. Splitter has never been Euroleague MVP either. But yes Splitter is of course better than Vazquez. But Vazques is a good shot blocker.

mystargtr34
02-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Just like NBA fans keep say Scola is Euroleague MVP and is not true this is not true either. Splitter has never been Euroleague MVP either. But yes Splitter is of course better than Vazquez. But Vazques is a good shot blocker.

Sorry, my mistake. He was All-Euro 1st team. Like Scola.

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
What MVP did Manu win, the Italian League?

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 09:24 PM

I think is something like MVP of Italy league 2 times and MVP of Italy Cup 1 time. And I know he is MVP of Euroleague final four 1 time. This is not same award as Euroleague MVP. Is like Euroleague version of NBA finals MVP.

I do not think he ever won regular season Euroleague MVP or MVP of Italy Super cup or MVP of Italy playoffs.

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 09:29 PM
What records? Do you even realize that Maroussi is in same division as Khimki and Dynamo Moscow and they will probably advance and one of Russian clubs will not? And club like Panionios is better than club like Joventut.

And what do you mean records? So Olympiacos has 2 losses in Greece and so does PAO. And TAU has 2 losses in Spain. What is your point?

Are you really arguing that the A1 is as deep as the ACB? That's too bizarre to merit a comment.

The continental competitions records. LOL at Panionios being better than Joventut. I mean, you did follow last season's ULEB Cup, right? They got beaten twice by whom? Pamesa, Gran Canaria? Perhaps better than this year DKV without Rubio, but that's not exactly meaningful.

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
I think is something like MVP of Italy league 2 times and MVP of Italy Cup 1 time. And I know he is MVP of Euroleague final four 1 time. This is not same award as Euroleague MVP. Is like Euroleague version of NBA finals MVP.

I do not think he ever won regular season Euroleague MVP.

Yeah, but probably because the Euroleague MVP award didn't exist till 2003/2004...

mystargtr34
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM

He won the Final Four MVP during Kinder Bologna's 2002 EuroLeague win. He was also selected to the All-EuroLeague 1st team that year.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Are you really arguing that the A1 is as deep as the ACB? That's too bizarre to merit a comment.

The continental competitions records. LOL at Panionios being better than Joventut. I mean, you did follow last season's ULEB Cup, right? They got beaten twice by whom? Pamesa, Gran Canaria? Perhaps better than this year DKV without Rubio, but that's not exactly meaningful.

Panionios has beat Dynamo, Khimki, PAO, Efes, Partizan, Real Madrid already this year. Yes they are better than DKV Joventut.

Spain league is not deep league anymore. You live in past. In fact Italy league is probably deeper than Spain league. Spain league has 5 good teams. That is it. Even Pamesa and Bilbao are not good teams. A team even like Panellinios would crush them rather easily and Panionios and Maroussi are better than Panellinios.

Let me give you some understanding. Budget of team like TAU is $15-$20 millions, budget of Aris is $18 million. Aris is considered in this time maybe 5th-6h best team in Greece.

Of course overall Spain league is better than Greece. But you cannot say like Spain is so much better and there is only 2 good teams in Greece and so many good ones in Spain. Because this is bull shit by a lot.

5 good teams in Spain and 6 good teams in Greece. Overall Spain a little bit better than Greece.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 09:35 PM
He won the Final Four MVP during Kinder Bologna's 2002 EuroLeague win. He was also selected to the All-EuroLeague 1st team that year.

I think this is wrong. Panathinaikos won Euroleague that year.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Yeah, but probably because the Euroleague MVP award didn't exist till 2003/2004...

WTF is this? You are wrong. Ever since Euroleague was form in 2000 there has been regular season MVP award.

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 09:39 PM

Late 80s, early 90s. The biggest difference being that the shooter was always more protected in the NBA.

Btw, Tau won today's Final versus Unicaja; Splitter with 12/6 in 25 minutes of foul trouble.

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Any video highlights mogrovejo? And I wish I knew who to believe, I can't wait til I can actually follow Euro bball.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Late 80s, early 90s. The biggest difference being that the shooter was always more protected in the NBA.

Btw, Tau won today's Final versus Unicaja; Splitter with 12/6 in 25 minutes of foul trouble.

So far great year for TAU they have won Spain Supercup and Spain King cup. Only left is to win ACB and they are in pace to get home court for playoffs.

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Panionios has beat Dynamo, Khimki, PAO, Efes, Partizan, Real Madrid already this year. Yes they are better than DKV Joventut.

Spain league is not deep league anymore. You live in past. In fact Italy league is probably deeper than Spain league. Spain league has 5 good teams. That is it. Even Pamesa and Bilbao are not good teams. A team even like Panellinios would crush them rather easily and Panionios and Maroussi are better than Panellinios.

Let me give you some understanding. Budget of team like TAU is $15-$20 millions, budget of Aris is $18 million. Aris is considered in this time maybe 5th-6h best team in Greece.

Of course overall Spain league is better than Greece. But you cannot say like Spain is so much better and there is only 2 good teams in Greece and so many good ones in Spain. Because this is bull shit by a lot.

5 good teams in Spain and 6 good teams in Greece. Overall Spain a little bit better than Greece.

And when exactly has the power balance shifted?

Last season Tau and Aris were in the same Euroleague Top-16 group, IIRC. Tau easily won it, Aris was probably dead last.

Last season Panionios and Pamesa played each other at the Uleb Cup Top32. Pamesa advanced. In fact, the only team to eliminate a spanish team post quarter finals was... another spanish team. The final was obviously played between... 2 spanish teams.

There's no comparison whatsover between the average quality of the ACB and every other European league. I don't care about the alleged budge of Greek teams. What's Larissas' budged for this season?

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 09:51 PM
So is that shit like American college football, where there are alot of different big games to play besides the POs?

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Any video highlights mogrovejo? And I wish I knew who to believe, I can't wait til I can actually follow Euro bball.

I can get highlights. Believe me. He is like all other fans mostly. Everyone just say how Spain league is so great and is bull shit. Spain league is a little better barely then Greece.

domestic leagues is like

1. Spain
2. Greece
3. Russia
4. Italy
5. Adriatic
6. Turkey
7. Israel

These are better leagues. Other ones for ULEB region all sucks. Spain and Greece is very close to each other. Russia and Italy is also close to each other but is a bit far from Spain and Greece. Adriatic and Turkey is close to each other and Israel a bit far from them.

In recent time Spain and Italy league is dropping, Russia and Greece is getting better. Turkey and Israel is about same in recent years. Adriatic league was once best in Europe and is making big improvement in last year or so again and maybe can move up past Russia because of economic issues in Russia.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Spanish Kings Cup championship

Unicaja 98 - TAU 100

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1464

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1465

final minute in game

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1460

extra period

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1462

Mirza Teletovic Spanish Kings Cup MVP

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1461

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I can get highlights. Believe me. He is like all other fans mostly.

Yeah, that's true: my POV is pretty much consensual amongst basketball fans. There's a reason for that... a very obvious one... :bang

Yeah, Baskonia is having a great season. Dusko is the man, the guy is a buffoon but he keeps delivering the pork.

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks, KBP!!!

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Highlights from the semi-finals game TAU vs. Barça:

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1452

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1453

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
And when exactly has the power balance shifted?

Last season Tau and Aris were in the same Euroleague Top-16 group, IIRC. Tau easily won it, Aris was probably dead last.

Last season Panionios and Pamesa played each other at the Uleb Cup Top32. Pamesa advanced. In fact, the only team to eliminate a spanish team post quarter finals was... another spanish team. The final was obviously played between... 2 spanish teams.

There's no comparison whatsover between the average quality of the ACB and every other European league. I don't care about the alleged budge of Greek teams. What's Larissas' budged for this season?

You know nothing about Euro basketball at all.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, that's true: my POV is pretty much consensual amongst basketball fans. There's a reason for that... a very obvious one... :bang

Yeah, Baskonia is having a great season. Dusko is the man, the guy is a buffoon but he keeps delivering the pork.

You do not know wtf you talk about on levels of teams and leagues in Europe.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 10:21 PM
So is that shit like American college football, where there are alot of different big games to play besides the POs?

There is like this

teams plays in national league and in this league is regular season and then playoffs. Then teams plays in national cups. This is for usually best 8 teams in each country. These national cups is single elimination games of 8 teams like last 8 of NCAA basketball. This is what we are talking of here for Spain Kings cup.

Then there is European competitions. There is 3 levels. First level is Euroleague. Second level is Eurocup. Third level is Eurochallenge. Eurochallenge is FIBA and first two levels is ULEB.

Most all clubs in Europe do not even qualify to ever compete in these leagues. Anyway say Euroleague is as example regular season and round robin and also there playoffs and then it ends as final four like NCAA final four.

There is also some regional competitions. Like in Spain is Catalan region competition and in Greece is one for Thessaloniki. This is just between local clubs of one area of country or even one city.

Then there is also some countries have Super Cup. Like Italy and Spain has Super Cups. This is where winner of national championship and winner of national cup plays each other. And then this winner wins nationals Super Cup. Of course cannot be played if same team wins both league and cup.

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Cool. So KBP, how would you grade Tiago's performance today?

Manufan909
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Highlights from the semi-finals game TAU vs. Barça:

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1452

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1453

Fuck, I can't watch them.:depressed

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Cool. So KBP, how would you grade Tiago's performance today?

I did not watch game. But it seem he was in foul trouble in bench at key parts of game. I was watch PAO and Olympiacos game which was most important game of day.

Thompson
02-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey guys, Draft express will be posting some info on Splitter tommorow about his NBA status. Just thought I would let you know.

What could it possibly be? He's already been drafted, and his rights are held by San Antonio.

...Unless Splitter decided to come over ASAP and there's some sort of buyout this summer. Or maybe the Spurs were able to convince Tau to buy out his contract now because he wants to help us out this year, and he's coming over now!!! :p:

Anyone know if Mahinmi will be anywhere near game shape when he comes back in a few weeks?

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 10:55 PM
You know nothing about Euro basketball at all.

You do not know wtf you talk about on levels of teams and leagues in Europe.

Ad hominem arguments are uncivilized. Quite telling though.

objective
02-23-2009, 12:51 AM
What could it possibly be? He's already been drafted, and his rights are held by San Antonio.

From the way the promo for the next blog was written, it will just be a summary of the players whose rights are held and how they are playing, it mentioned Splitter, Vasquez, Ilyasova and Freeland.

Probably nothing new to anyone who is a Spurs fan, though it could pile on about how Splitter is so successful and the money is so great that he'll never be a Spur.

So if you want good news, don't check back in on this thread for what the update will be. :lol

objective
02-23-2009, 12:54 AM
DX did the exact same thing for last year's Copa Del Rey when it broke down players whose rights were held at the time, including Splitter, Fernandez and Marc Gasol. Just scouting reports.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Scouting-the-NBA-Rights-Held-Players-at-the-2008-Copa-del-Rey-2539/

FuzzyLumpkins
02-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Ad hominem arguments are uncivilized. Quite telling though.

Sure they are but when you bring nothing to the other side of the argument to counter then they are all that is needed.

Thompson
02-23-2009, 09:05 PM

So what did they post? I don't see anything on his profile page.

mogrovejo
02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Sure they are but when you bring nothing to the other side of the argument to counter then they are all that is needed.

Well, I'm pretty comfortable with sustaining my argument that the Greek League is not as strong as the Spanish one with the fact that Spanish teams routinely beat Greek teams when they face each other in continental competitions. Unless we're talking another factors, like the fans attending games, the organization, MSM and TV exposure, lower leagues system, etc - and in those aspects, the gap is even wider.

Greek League is respectable, but they basically have two giants who would fight for the title in the ACB, a few middle-class teams who would fight for the playoffs and the rest of the field would struggle to win more than a couple of games.

Agloco
02-24-2009, 03:06 PM
They don't make hamstrings like this anymore.....

http://www.cabanacachaca.com/downloads/cabana_2.jpg

picnroll
02-26-2009, 11:56 PM
The article on Splitter and draftexpress finally appeared.

ttp://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Blogging-through-the-Copa-del-Rey-Part-Three--3120

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Well, I'm pretty comfortable with sustaining my argument that the Greek League is not as strong as the Spanish one with the fact that Spanish teams routinely beat Greek teams when they face each other in continental competitions. Unless we're talking another factors, like the fans attending games, the organization, MSM and TV exposure, lower leagues system, etc - and in those aspects, the gap is even wider.

Greek League is respectable, but they basically have two giants who would fight for the title in the ACB, a few middle-class teams who would fight for the playoffs and the rest of the field would struggle to win more than a couple of games.

And again you have no facts.

4-5 good teams in Spain only. That is it. It is a little bit better than Greece league. That is it.

And obviously you have NEVER seen most Spanish or Greek clubs play.

mogrovejo
04-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Spain league is not deep league anymore. You live in past. In fact Italy league is probably deeper than Spain league. Spain league has 5 good teams. That is it. Even Pamesa and Bilbao are not good teams. A team even like Panellinios would crush them rather easily

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/competition/results/showgame?gamecode=155

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ulebcup/competition/results/showgame?gamecode=153

Holly cow, this is scary. You write this and one year later Pamesa and Bilbao play Panellinios and obviously beat them easily. Geez, you're the most unlucky predictor I've ever seen in my entire life. It's like you're the anti-Midas of basketball predictions.

ps - sorry for the bump. I thought this was in the NBA forum. Splitter is perfectly healthy, this is old news.

angelbelow
04-19-2010, 06:09 PM

spanish league i think

exstatic
04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
spanish league i think

Wrong.

benefactor
04-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Someone with the power to do it needs to put "old news" in the title. Spur fans don't need anymore upsetting news.

MannyIsGod
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Fuck this thread. I was about to break something.

benefactor
04-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Fuck this thread. I was about to break something.
I could feel the heat rising on my neck as I clicked the thread.

BoricuaCJA
04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I could feel the heat rising on my neck as I clicked the thread.
I was like " Are you f'n kidding me! More bad news."

taps
04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
agreed, bad thread bump.

i miss KBP

edit: thanks d228 :tu

Juanobili
04-19-2010, 08:11 PM
lol I yelled out "WHAT THE FUCK?!?"

duncan228
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
i miss KBP

He's back, in the NBA Forum.

L.I.T
04-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I'd be curious to hear what mogrovejo has to say concerning Splitter this year.

G-Dawgg
04-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm excited to see Splitter play. They say he plays like a young Will Perdue!

rjv
04-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Tiago Splitter scored 26 points and grabbed 7 rebounds and Teletovic added 22 points to lead Caja Laboral to a 80-86 win over Ayuda en Accion Fuenlabrada on Saturday evening.

Gerald Fitch with 16 points was the top scorer for Fuenlabrada. Burstein had 15 and Thomas added 14.

The Basques made an storming start and added a 0-8 run in the early moments of the game but Fuenlabrada reacted well and led 23-21 at the end of the first quarter.

They continued ahead on the scoreboard and led 41-38 at halftime and 64-63 with 10 minutes left to play. The Basques had greater stamina in the end an opened a small gap thanks to Splitter and to Teletovic that was enough to achieve the win.

http://www.eitb.com/sports/en/detail/400546/splitter-leads-caja-laboral-80-86-win-fuenlabrada/

mogrovejo
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I'd be curious to hear what mogrovejo has to say concerning Splitter this year.

About his season? Possibly his best ever. Will win the MVP almost certainly. For the first time in his career he was not only the best player in his team (which he already was in the recent past) but a level or five above his teammates. Put the team on his back and has been carrying them all year. An untimely injury + setback affected his Euroleague performance. Most reliable high-quality big in Europe right now.

No notable changes in his skill-set, except his FT% is way above his career norm.

Johnny RIngo
04-20-2010, 12:10 PM
The expectations for Splitter are much too high, at this point. How about we wait until he actually signs with the Spurs.

DontStopBelieving
04-20-2010, 12:16 PM
The expectations for Splitter are much too high, at this point. How about we wait until he actually signs with the Spurs.
:depressed

TJastal
04-20-2010, 12:18 PM

You'd think he was already signed, sealed and delivered with how spurs fans keep raving about him.

rjv
04-20-2010, 12:37 PM

You'd think he was already signed, sealed and delivered with how spurs fans keep raving about him.

just hoping to get him seems more like the tone of the forum to me.