PDA

View Full Version : How to Fix All-Star Weekend?

raspsa
02-16-2009, 05:11 AM
The All-Star Game was horrible. Just glorified playground basketball with no defense. The league tries to sell it but I'm curious to see the TV ratings. Nobody takes it seriously and i think the NBA has to rethink the format. I'd be in favor of a US vs. World All-Stars game, at least I think it would be more competitive and bear some resemblance to an actual basketball game.. unfortunately, the NBA will most likely stick to "tradition" even if its just become a big joke. Rant over.:wow

Spork KIller
02-16-2009, 05:14 AM
You are a joke dumbass

boutons_
02-16-2009, 05:46 AM
The NBA Doesn't Care, The NBA sucks

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Joke of a game, I'd prefer watching a Clippers-Bucks game than what this has turned into.

m33p0
02-16-2009, 06:10 AM
The All-Star Game was horrible. Just glorified playground basketball with no defense. The league tries to sell it but I'm curious to see the TV ratings. Nobody takes it seriously and i think the NBA has to rethink the format. I'd be in favor of a US vs. World All-Stars game, at least I think it would be more competitive and bear some resemblance to an actual basketball game.. unfortunately, the NBA will most likely stick to "tradition" even if its just become a big joke. Rant over.:wow
not gonna happen especially with players from contending teams.

a change of perspective from the superstars would help a lot. unlike in the 80s where the stars of the game cared about putting on a show, the current crop does not care. for them, the weekend ends as soon as they get voted in. it's the fans who voted them in - the players have to make it work for the fans.

Rogue
02-16-2009, 06:34 AM
You are a joke dumbass
you can help fix the all-star weekend, louis, with your creativity and your finger that has been erecting here since you joined our forum. your finger erects harder and longer even than your dick I think.

Muser
02-16-2009, 07:00 AM
It's just a bit of fun...?

InK
02-16-2009, 07:06 AM
I kinda like the MLB thing, where the winner takes home field advantage for the Finals.

hater
02-16-2009, 08:11 AM
I agree the game was boring as shit. I rather watch the boring Spurs play

Kevin Durant should have been in that shit. he would have kicked ass

raspsa
02-16-2009, 08:45 AM
You are a joke dumbass

Come to think of it, the ASG reminds me a lot of how the Suns play..:lol:lol all show, no substance:lol:lol

Kamnik
02-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Asg really needs some changes... I dont know which ones.

But atm:

1. it is boring
2. nobody cares about it
3. i doubt many people watch it

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Dump the dunk contest and replace it with a game of one-on-three, featuring Charles Barkley and three midgets.

FreeMason
02-16-2009, 09:50 AM
lol! This ASG was more competetive from the beginning since any one I can remember in the last 10 years.

It only fell apart at the end of the 3rd once the West had locked it up. No defense? It was steal and block city for most of the game.

hater
02-16-2009, 09:53 AM
IMO there is no true superstar anymore. I mean a guy who is clearly better than everyone else. Kobe is the closest thing to it but I can't bring myself to like him.

Lebron? sucks. dude missed like 35 dunks last night. everyone else is pretty much same skill level.

these days Durant and Derrick Rose are my only hope.

Muser
02-16-2009, 09:54 AM
It's not the ASG that was the problem.

As it's been said in the Bball forum, The dunk contest was the biggest POS.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 02:12 PM
The guys on cnnsi were almost unanimous : Make it a one day deal, and just play the game with minimal intros like a regular game.

Dex
02-16-2009, 03:01 PM
This year's ASG was boring because it seemed like only one team cared about playing defense. The West packed it into the paint and the East, for a team full of superstars, couldn't buy a jumpshot. For some reason, the East never responded, and let the West have a dunkfest.

Once you're out to a 20 point lead with 2 minutes left, there's nothing left to do but garbage time basketball.

gingerwave
02-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Joke of a game, I'd prefer watching a Clippers-Bucks game than what this has turned into.

I don't know about watching a Clippers vs Bucks game but the All-Star game is a joke.

angel_luv
02-16-2009, 03:11 PM
The problem with the All Star game is that most of the guys who compete in it are too consumed with their own stats.

The game would be cooler if there was a lot less attempts at stat padding and a lot more focus by players on creating cool plays for their teammates.
Whoever has the most assists should at least be considered when choosing the all star MVP in my opinion, since that is the one who made the team better.

Show me something different.
I already know that all the all stars excel at being the go to guys when it comes to scoring points.

tp2021
02-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I agree with you angel. Assists/passing is one of my favorite things to watch when it comes to basketball, regardless of the type of game.

Behrooz24
02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Up the prize $

baseline bum
02-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Jason Kidd should get a lifetime pass as starting PG for the West. Back in his Phoenix days the ASG was incredible because he'd be constantly feeding Kobe, Duncan, Garnett, Shaq, and Webber for alley-oops and easy dunks.

JamStone
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
All star games are exhibition games. It's not a big deal that the game was for the most part boring. Players don't want to get hurt and they go for the experience. Why force it to be more competitive? It's still one of the better all star games in pro sports.

If there is a change that needs to be made, I would change designations on all star rosters. Right now, voting separates players by dividing them up to "guards," "forwards," and centers. With more and more of today's centers becoming hybrid power forwards and small forwards and shooting guards becoming more and more like the same position, I would change those designations on the ballot. This year, the West had 7 PFs/Cs and the East had 10 perimeter players and two big men.

I would change the designations so that voters had to select one "PG," two "swing men" (SGs and SFs), and two "big men" (PFs and Cs) to balance the rosters out a little better. Don't know if that would make a huge difference, but it might.

JamStone
02-16-2009, 03:44 PM
All star games are exhibition games. It's not a big deal that the game was for the most part boring. Players don't want to get hurt and they go for the experience. Why force it to be more competitive? It's still one of the better all star games in pro sports.

If there is a change that needs to be made, I would change designations on all star rosters. Right now, voting separates players by dividing them up to "guards," "forwards," and centers. With more and more of today's centers becoming hybrid power forwards and small forwards and shooting guards becoming more and more like the same position, I would change those designations on the ballot. This year, the West had 7 PFs/Cs and the East had 10 perimeter players and two big men.

I would change the designations so that voters had to select one "PG," two "swing men" (SGs and SFs), and two "big men" (PFs and Cs) to balance the rosters out a little better. Don't know if that would make a huge difference, but it might.

galvatron3000
02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
All Star Game was good to me at first ,it just started too late and I was sleepy before the game ended. The East barely played their bigs (Dwight and KG) for long stretches when Shaq was on the floor the East had all perimeter players with no center, I think Rashard Lewis was their center so Shaq had a filed day in the paint and they had no interior defense or scoring to match the West who just allowed them to shoot 3's.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
ignoring the brainwashing and horrible marketing, the actual game suffers due to lack of showmanship IMO..

the all-star game is for entertainment, but there weren't many entertaining players on the floor..

Kobe CAN be entertaining, but he wasn't..he was just jacking up J after J..

Lebron isn't entertaining..he repeats the same dunks..it took him like 8 tries to complete an off the backboard that VC and McGrady did in 1 try..he was also jacking up shots..

complimentary players..Rashard Lewis, Mo Williams, and other guys that are only there because of their teams..they aren't all-star players..

the only entertaining guys on the court were Shaq, Paul, and Howard..TP could have been, but he didn't get the ball enough..

obviously the all-star game would be best if the players were actually competing, but that no longer happens anymore..so the next best thing is entertainment..earlier in this decade, we had Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Jason Kidd, Steve Francis, Allen Iverson in his prime..with others of course..these guys are high fliers and entertainers, they get excited to entertain the crowds..

ginomvp
02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
You are a joke dumbass
i think u may be just an idiot kid who has nothing better to do than sit at ur computer and talk shit all day. kid grow up and get a life. ur annoying as hell.

ginomvp
02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
one way to fix the asg would be not to have it in a faggy ass city like phoenix imo.

boutons_
02-16-2009, 09:33 PM
NBA All Star Game Ratings Up (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/16/nba-all-star-game-ratings_n_167404.html)

from HuffingtonPost Full Feed (http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.huffingtonpost.com%2Fhuffington post%2Fraw_feed) by The Huffington Post News Editors

NEW YORK -- On the heels of record ratings for the Boston Celtics-Los Angeles Lakers game earlier this month, TNT's All-Star Game ratings are on a roll.

Sunday's All-Star Game averaged 6.8 million viewers, Nielsen Media Research said Monday afternoon. That's up 8% compared with last year. The NBA's West beat the East, 146-119, on the strength of Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, who were voted co-MVPs.

raspsa
02-16-2009, 11:07 PM
NBA All Star Game Ratings Up (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/16/nba-all-star-game-ratings_n_167404.html)

from HuffingtonPost Full Feed (http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.huffingtonpost.com%2Fhuffington post%2Fraw_feed) by The Huffington Post News Editors

NEW YORK -- On the heels of record ratings for the Boston Celtics-Los Angeles Lakers game earlier this month, TNT's All-Star Game ratings are on a roll.

Sunday's All-Star Game averaged 6.8 million viewers, Nielsen Media Research said Monday afternoon. That's up 8% compared with last year. The NBA's West beat the East, 146-119, on the strength of Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, who were voted co-MVPs.

Now this really surprises me..

Myrak
02-16-2009, 11:38 PM
It does not surprise me.

boutons_
02-16-2009, 11:59 PM
"Now this really surprises me.."

people are economizing, staying home, NBA All Stars are CHEAP (viewing)

raspsa
02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
"Now this really surprises me.."

people are economizing, staying home, NBA All Stars are CHEAP (viewing)

makes sense.

Man In Black
02-17-2009, 12:37 AM
It cost me $20 bucks to watch All-Star Saturday in 3-D at a theater here in San Diego. It was a cool things to see things pop out towards me. If they offered that on a High-Def TV, I'd watch it more for sure. Also, if they picked better players for HORSE, that would be the shit. Kevin Durant would've gotten his ass kicked by Manu. Actually, if I can put him in the way back machine to compete against the likes of George Gervin, Paul Westphal, and last winner of HORSE-Pistol Pete Maravich...he would've gotten his ass kicked then too. No creativity whatsover. And with regards to a 1 on 1 tourney, it would have to be something in where over a few months or in the pre-season, a tournament ladder is done and at the All-Star Break, the final is played. Bob Lanier won the last NBA sanctioned 1-on-1 event against Jojo White. Bob told me the story on a plane ride from Phoenix to San Antonio for the 2007 Finals. It's cool that I watched it but what's cooler is that he tells me the ins and outs of how it was played. He won $5000 for playing that and he just took the smaller White(6'4") inside and just backed him down and in. I asked him if Kobe Bryant could beat Tim Duncan and he felt that Tim would do the same exact thing that he did to Jojo. He also added that Tim's J was better than his.

Austin_Toros
02-17-2009, 12:43 AM
The league tries to sell it but I'm curious to see the TV ratings.

apparently it something like the most views ever