PDA

View Full Version : Everybody has a 2010 Plan. Where do we fit?

wildbill2u
02-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I know that all these fabulous players and some pretty decent ones get free agency in 2010.
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/The_NBA_2010_Free_Agent_Class_and_Whos_Shopping/389384

A lot of teams will be chasing the biggest names with the usual suspects, LA, Chicago, N.Y. Miami having the best chances to land the biggies m because of money and lifestyle issues.

I notice some players like Amare are already being shopped this year to get ready for the 2010 free agency and I suspect that the other clubs will be trying to lock in their stars before then. (Good luck, Cleveland)

Manu and Mason are up so I assume we'll try to sign them early.
Other than that what's OUR plan? Where do we fit in all this high-dollar auction that is coming up? Are we going to snipe at a lesser player while the big boys get caught up in the Superstar action?

This is gonna get craaaaazzzzy

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Just my $0.02, but I think the Spurs 2010 plan consists of trading away their contracts that expire in 2010 in this coming offseason in 2009 for a solid player with a contract that goes beyond 2010. Manu needs a contract extension this offseason and there's no way for the Spurs to clear enough cap room to make a big splash once they give him that extension. Especially considering that the whole economic mess means that the salary cap isn't going to grow all that much between now and then. Some are projecting that the cap in 2010 might even be less than it is now.

The 2010 free agent market is going to be a good one to stay out of, IMO. Three teams are going to be very happy they got Lebron, Wade or Bosh and everyone else is going to go into a panic.

The Spurs should just give Manu a 2 year extension, go after Rasheed this offseason with a 3 year full MLE offer, punt on the whole 2010 fiasco and set themselves up for a cap run in 2012 when Duncan, Manu's and (hopefully) Rasheed's deals would expire.

Civilfatman
02-16-2009, 09:45 AM
We would have to give up Manu and mason to sign any high profile free agent that summer.

If we resign Manu with a typical 8.3% increase ($11,550,000) and give Mason the midlevel ($5,500,000), we wont have more than the midlevel to give out to a free agent. The salaries on the books would equal $52.35 Million and I would assume the salary cap that year would be around $57 Million.

The 2010 free agent plan is bullshit, we are not signing any high profile free agents outside possibly Rasheed Wallace in 2009. Even then I think he will be like Maggette in the sense that he will be interested in us untill somebody offers him a better deal.

I think our FO is setting us up, with the flexiblity under the luxury tax, for possible trades during that summer to get a player of significance. But if that is the case, who can you include in the trade? The only guys under contract would be Parker, Duncan, Hill, Mahinimi, and hopefully Mason and Ginobili.

I really think there is no summer of 2010 plan and I think if they do anything it will be this season or next because those are the seasons they actually have expendable salaries they can move.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Hopefully they'll utilize their expiring deals and nab someone this summer, but Pop and R.C. can be pretty stubborn and it wouldn't surprise me to have us endure another summer like the one we chased all the premier guys (Kidd, O'Neal, etc.) and then had to come back around to lesser acquisitions.

2010 is foolish for the Spurs. Every other team is clearing cap room, there's only so many premier FAs, and the majority of those other cities are going to be more desirable to FAs than SA. If we don't make a move this summer we'll be overpaying for lesser players next summer.

Agloco
02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
The overwhelming consideration is the economy. Will it have recovered by 2010? It's pretty damn stagnant and most projections say that we will have a hangover until at least the summer of that year. It's the reason you see teams like NO shopping Chandler for apparently no logical reason.

My opinion is that the FO is setting us up to get the franchise through the recession in one piece. All of the expirings in the next year or two are a testament to that. The 2010 FA market is a distant second.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 10:57 AM
CG: A tidbit from Hollinger on what might happen to the cap & tax in the near future.

• Finally, let me share a juicy tip from a league source on the state of the salary cap. Basically, the situation will be worse than many people expect, and the luxury-tax level next season will be set even lower than what several teams are currently planning for. The implications will be huge as we head into next season.

Here's the more interesting part of what I was told: Next season's luxury tax might just be the tip of the iceberg. The salary cap (and thus the tax level) could drop massively in 2010; my source used the term "bloodbath."

This would have huge effects on the pursuit of big-game free agents, of course, but also on the luxury-tax level for that season … which could push many more teams over the line and lead to fire-sale-type trades.

All this would be a prelude to the labor negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement in 2011. If money gets as tight as some project, things could get ugly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=All-Star-Notebook-090215

exstatic
02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
My guesses are Joe Johnson or Chris Bosh. Bosh will be 26, and JJ will be 29 in 2010.

lurker23
02-16-2009, 11:16 AM
My guesses are Joe Johnson or Chris Bosh. Bosh will be 26, and JJ will be 29 in 2010.

If we retain our cap space going into that summer, those would be the two I'd target as well (with the obvious caveat that you tell LeBron he's more than welcome to join the Spurs if he wants to play in a smaller market for a championship).

exstatic
02-16-2009, 11:17 AM
My opinion is that the FO is setting us up to get the franchise through the recession in one piece. All of the expirings in the next year or two are a testament to that. The 2010 FA market is a distant second.

Yeah, except they started this in the summer of 2007 right after the championship when a lot of the 2008 class re-signed with their teams. They signed Bonner and Oberto to 3 year deals and re-worked Bowen to 2010, too. The economic bust wasn't even on the horizon. Make no mistake, this was set up to reel in a big fish for the Spurs. What it turns out to be used for could be another story, but it was never intended as a cushion to ride out an economic storm.

benefactor
02-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Though I would love to have Bosh I think we will probably be outbid for him. I have always felt Joe Johnson would be a good target and with him turning 29 he could be lured away to a contender knowing that now is probably his best opportunity to sign a contract with a team that could possibly get him a ring.

But we said that about Maggette too.....

exstatic
02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Though I would love to have Bosh I think we will probably be outbid for him. I have always felt Joe Johnson would be a good target and with him turning 29 he could be lured away to a contender knowing that now is probably his best opportunity to sign a contract with a team that could possibly get him a ring.

But we said that about Maggette too.....
Bosh is making good coin right now on a bad team. We'll see if he tires of that. I'm not sure anyone else, other than Toronto, will be able to "outbid" us. Everyone is pretty much limited by the same MAX ceiling of salary and years. The Spurs will have the cap room to go toe to toe with anyone.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Bosh is making good coin right now on a bad team. We'll see if he tires of that. I'm not sure anyone else, other than Toronto, will be able to "outbid" us. Everyone is pretty much limited by the same MAX ceiling of salary and years. The Spurs will have the cap room to go toe to toe with anyone.

Not unless they're prepared to run off Manu and Mason.

mountainballer
02-16-2009, 12:41 PM

no. as CG said, cap wise they need to drop Manu and Mason.
but the more important point will be SA and Tim's age. Tim in his prime plus max money plus a Pop road trip thru Slovenia once was enough to get plan E or F, namely Rasho.
2010? Tim will be 35 and player searching for a superstar to ride him to a ring will doubt his ability to do this for some more years. (even if he had some more productive years).
and I heard SA isn't exactly like NY or LA, when talking about an attractive promotion market for FAs.
they are definitely not toe to toe.

picnroll
02-16-2009, 12:43 PM
CG: A tidbit from Hollinger on what might happen to the cap & tax in the near future.

• Finally, let me share a juicy tip from a league source on the state of the salary cap. Basically, the situation will be worse than many people expect, and the luxury-tax level next season will be set even lower than what several teams are currently planning for. The implications will be huge as we head into next season.

Here's the more interesting part of what I was told: Next season's luxury tax might just be the tip of the iceberg. The salary cap (and thus the tax level) could drop massively in 2010; my source used the term "bloodbath."

This would have huge effects on the pursuit of big-game free agents, of course, but also on the luxury-tax level for that season … which could push many more teams over the line and lead to fire-sale-type trades.

All this would be a prelude to the labor negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement in 2011. If money gets as tight as some project, things could get ugly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=All-Star-Notebook-090215

That's what I'm thinking. These owners have to be hurting, some massively. For instance, last June CAT was at 80 now it' 30. And league revenue must be falling off a cliff and will fall further.

Another thing to factor in

— Most significant, Stern and Hunter both acknowledged that they’ve been talking in advance of the expiration of the league’s current collective bargaining agreement. The agreement runs through 2010-11 (the league has the right to extend it a year), but both sides acknowledged that, with the worldwide economic downturn, the agreement may need to be altered before it expires—which would be an unprecedented move.

“I can’t tell you that we are close to reaching a deal,” Hunter said. “But we have been talking, and I’m obviously going to be as diligent as I can be on behalf of our players. I can say to you that we are anxious to reach a deal. I’m going to do everything within my power—everything within reason to reach a deal—but I’m going to be an aggressive negotiator on behalf of the players.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sternrenamesawardforruss&prov=tsn&type=lgns

picnroll
02-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Factors tht might influence 2010:

1. Multiple teams are lining up for the megastars.
2. Unless they were shorting the market or investing in gold, owners have taken a massive in their net worth.
3. Reasonable chance we’re entering a long financial winter (prolonged severe recession/depression)
4. If so franchise revenue will decline, ad revenue will decline, franchise value will decline.
5. CBA will be renegotiated to take effect in 2011 I believe and those negotiations are likely going to be hard (lock out/strike?). Owners undoubtedly have already laid out some game plan and their spending for 2010 probably takes into account the landscape they envision post-CBA agreement. Maybe shorter years, lower max, maybe things like revenue sharing, who knows but it’ll be factored in and make most owners cautious in 2009 and 2010. For instance would someone want to lay on massive salary and then have a CBA negotiated with extremely punitive measures for those over the cap.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Factors tht might influence 2010:

1. Multiple teams are lining up for the megastars.
2. Unless they were shorting the market or investing in gold, owners have taken a massive in their net worth.
3. Reasonable chance we’re entering a long financial winter (prolonged severe recession/depression)
4. If so franchise revenue will decline, ad revenue will decline, franchise value will decline.
5. CBA will be renegotiated to take effect in 2011 I believe and those negotiations are likely going to be hard (lock out/strike?). Owners undoubtedly have already laid out some game plan and their spending for 2010 probably takes into account the landscape they envision post-CBA agreement. Maybe shorter years, lower max, maybe things like revenue sharing, who knows but it’ll be factored in and make most owners cautious in 2009 and 2010. For instance would someone want to lay on massive salary and then have a CBA negotiated with extremely punitive measures for those over the cap.

That's a good list. The dangerous thing for small market teams like San Antonio is that in this environment any team who is willing to take on salary is going to be able to really steal talent from teams whose owners are feeling the financial strain. We're probably going to see more Gasol/Camby type trades where teams dump players just to free themselves from the financial commitment.

Could also be a pretty rough stretch for second tier free agents.

picnroll
02-16-2009, 01:29 PM
That's a good list. The dangerous thing for small market teams like San Antonio is that in this environment any team who is willing to take on salary is going to be able to really steal talent from teams whose owners are feeling the financial strain. We're probably going to see more Gasol/Camby type trades where teams dump players just to free themselves from the financial commitment.

Could also be a pretty rough stretch for second tier free agents.
Since there are more small market and mid-tier market owners than big market owners I'm hoping something like revenue sharing gets shoved down the throats of the Buss's, Dolan's, Allen's, Cuban's. Otherwise for me, if it plays out where big market temas can stock up and small markets have to dump, it's syonara NBA.

2YiZ
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I envy any team without a 2010 plan. I bet a minimum 70% of the big name FAs keep their jerseys.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 02:30 PM

no. as CG said, cap wise they need to drop Manu and Mason.
but the more important point will be SA and Tim's age. Tim in his prime plus max money plus a Pop road trip thru Slovenia once was enough to get plan E or F, namely Rasho.
2010? Tim will be 35 and player searching for a superstar to ride him to a ring will doubt his ability to do this for some more years. (even if he had some more productive years).
and I heard SA isn't exactly like NY or LA, when talking about an attractive promotion market for FAs.
they are definitely not toe to toe.

You can't build a team around a 30 YO SG and a 33 YO SG (Manu and Mase in 2010) when Tim is gone. That's what 2010 is all about. They've been doing little re-loads on the fly, but hard choices will have to be made if the Spurs want to secure the future of the franchise. Over the past 6 years, Manu has definitely made summertime decisions that were good for him, but detrimental to the Spurs and his career longevity. Those chickens may now be coming home to roost. Don't be shocked by out of the box thinking like letting Manu go, trading Tony to Toronto for Bosh and going with Hill at PG, etc. I doubt Toronto would get a better offer than that for a S&T, and we'd have the inside track on Bosh if he's interested. It would re-load a franchise type player in SA and cut payroll. We'd only really be paying Bosh and Tim.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM
You can't build a team around a 30 YO SG and a 33 YO SG (Manu and Mase in 2010) when Tim is gone. That's what 2010 is all about. They've been doing little re-loads on the fly, but hard choices will have to be made if the Spurs want to secure the future of the franchise. Over the past 6 years, Manu has definitely made summertime decisions that were good for him, but detrimental to the Spurs and his career longevity. Those chickens may now be coming home to roost. Don't be shocked by out of the box thinking like letting Manu go, trading Tony to Toronto for Bosh and going with Hill at PG, etc. I doubt Toronto would get a better offer than that for a S&T, and we'd have the inside track on Bosh if he's interested. It would re-load a franchise type player in SA and cut payroll. We'd only really be paying Bosh and Tim.

As any homeless guy in a rainstorm will tell you, sometimes life is better inside the box.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 02:41 PM
As any homeless guy in a rainstorm will tell you, sometimes life is better inside the box.

Sometimes you can walk across the street to a nice warm shelter with food and cots. Beats the shit out of a box.

stxspurs
02-16-2009, 02:42 PM
ian might be worth a damn by then.....who knows

picnroll
02-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Don't be shocked by out of the box thinking like letting Manu go, trading Tony to Toronto for Bosh and going with Hill at PG, etc. I doubt Toronto would get a better offer than that for a S&T, and we'd have the inside track on Bosh if he's interested. It would re-load a franchise type player in SA and cut payroll. We'd only really be paying Bosh and Tim.

I suspect the major stars will be looking for:

1. A major market with cap space and
2. The ability of the signing team to match them up with another major star

SA won't be able to meet either of those requirements.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 03:16 PM
I suspect the major stars will be looking for:

1. A major market with cap space and
2. The ability of the signing team to match them up with another major star

SA won't be able to meet either of those requirements.

How many teams will? How many teams may actually use their cap room on 2010 now in this economic climate?

baseline bum
02-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Why would they trade Parker for Bosh if they could just sign him outright? No one ever gets a decent deal in a sign and trade when their star can just walk to the other team on his own. That'd be a great way for Colangelo to get blacklisted by the NBAPA if he takes a hardline stance to make sign and trades impossible.

I think I'd rather sign Manu for two more seasons though unless the team can acquire one of Bosh, Stoudemire, James, and Wade. Then go into full lottery mode and rebuild from the draft once Tim retires. I certainly don't want to see them throwing big deals at mid-level talent like they did with Nesterovic.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 03:35 PM
How many teams will? How many teams may actually use their cap room on 2010 now in this economic climate?

So none of the big market teams like New York, New Jersey, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Miami and Atlanta are going to want to use the cap space they have the potential to have, but the Spurs are? Come on.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
So none of the big market teams like New York, New Jersey, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Miami and Atlanta are going to want to use the cap space they have the potential to have, but the Spurs are? Come on.

I was asking a question, and it was not rhetorical. There will, however, be teams with the room that will not use it. I don't know which ones. Do you?

I think NY will for sure, NJ maybe not, PHO maybe not (Sarver seems cheap), and DAL and HOU would have to jettision all of their stars to buy in that market. I'm not sure they're going to ditch Yao and Dirk.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Why would they trade Parker for Bosh if they could just sign him outright? No one ever gets a decent deal in a sign and trade when their star can just walk to the other team on his own. That'd be a great way for Colangelo to get blacklisted by the NBAPA if he takes a hardline stance to make sign and trades impossible.

I think I'd rather sign Manu for two more seasons though unless the team can acquire one of Bosh, Stoudemire, James, and Wade. Then go into full lottery mode and rebuild from the draft once Tim retires. I certainly don't want to see them throwing big deals at mid-level talent like they did with Nesterovic.

bb, you're one of the smartest people on the board, so don't be offended when I ask you an honest question, OK?

Are you even paying attention to the economy? I'm not sure SA can PAY three players at that point in time. Hill is available as a cheaper alternative to Parker, so you court Bosh with your cap room, get him to pressure TOR into a S&T, and you throw Parker's hefty salary at them. I don't think they'll be too upset to get a multiple AllStar back, we still have money to fill out the roster, we get our new star, and stay in business.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I was asking a question, and it was not rhetorical. There will, however, be teams with the room that will not use it. I don't know which ones. Do you?

Teams who have cap room and lose out on Lebron/Wade/Bosh might decide to not spend, but I don't think those three guys need to worry about getting multiple max contract offers.

baseline bum
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
bb, you're one of the smartest people on the board, so don't be offended when I ask you an honest question, OK?

Are you even paying attention to the economy? I'm not sure SA can PAY three players at that point in time. Hill is available as a cheaper alternative to Parker, so you court Bosh with your cap room, get him to pressure TOR into a S&T, and you throw Parker's hefty salary at them. I don't think they'll be too upset to get a multiple AllStar back, we still have money to fill out the roster, we get our new star, and stay in business.

I'd rather they just dump everyone and go into the lottery than pay Bosh a long-term deal and cut everyone else but Duncan. Either go balls-out for the title or let Tim pick where he wants to go and trade him there, let Manu walk, and tank for draft picks. I'd rather see the Spurs be very good or very bad than get themselves stuck in the middle of the pack.

picnroll
02-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I'd rather they just dump everyone and go into the lottery than pay Bosh a long-term deal and cut everyone else but Duncan. Either go balls-out for the title or let Tim pick where he wants to go and trade him there, let Manu walk, and tank for draft picks. I'd rather see the Spurs be very good or very bad than get themselves stuck in the middle of the pack.
I'm with going balls out lottery. I'd trade Manu, even Parker for picks or young talent. I'd give Duncan his option, play it out with the Spurs or get traded to the team of his choice to close out his career with a shot at more rings. I'd rather stink but have hope for the future than be stuck for five years as a late lottery team.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Not a Bosh fan, eh?

I just think we'll be out of band-aids by then, and even the TT&M combo will be sliding back into the pack.

pad300
02-16-2009, 05:00 PM
There are really 2 schools with regards to the Spurs 2010 plan. 1) WIN THEN - Duncan is signed until 2012, IIRC, the championship window lasts as long as he is here. Therefore, load up to put as much talent as possible around him, even at the expense of crashing hard afterwards (being one of the worst teams in the league). 2) BUILD FOR THE FUTURE - A window based on TD is already closed. Free agent acquisitions should be based around a future team core of Tony + 2010 FA, with TD being complementary (similarly with Manu if he resigns).

The current economy may force a 3ed school 3) STAYING ALIVE - where economic considerations for the franchise (& the NBA) mean dropping salary to the point where capspace in 2010 is unused...I'm not going to try an say if a school 3 policy will be followed - that's an ownership decision, because they have access to the books.

School 1) says go for a veteran who will complement Tim's remaining time, who will hopefully come cheaper with the promise of championship shots. Potential 2010 FA's who fit the description: Dirk, Joe Johnson, Yao. All are big names who aren't too old to get a last big payday (unlike say Camby or Pierce in 2010), who have no rings and might just be getting hungry.

School 2) says get a younger player, almost certainly a big, who will work with Tony to build towards another championship contender. Potential 2010 FA's who fit the description: Bosh, Lebron, Wade, Chandler (maybe), Amare (maybe), Millsap, Lee (Last 2 assuming they end up with the qualifying offer this summer).

There are also the secondary FA's to consider, a couple of whom might end up underpaid and making a big difference; eg. Mcgrady, Camby, Manu...

Assuming School 3 is not an issue, I favor school 1 personally. In NBA terms, actually achieving championships correlates VERY highly with high lottery picks, in particular #1 picks. I think ride TD and then a big crash will result in a shorter recovery cycle. I think school 2 will likely lead to a cycle of mediocrity...

My dream 2010 goes like this : with ~$36 Million on the books (TD, Tony, Hill, Mahinmi - who has become a usable bench level big, 2010 1st round pick). The cap is approximately 58 Million. There is a cap hold of roughly 16,000,000 for Manu. They resign Manu to a reasonable 3 year contract ($8Million, $8Million, $8Million). (44 Million on the books). They sign Dirk for 3 years/33 Million (Yes, he could get more from Cuban, but he wants Real ring shot). (55 Million on the books - they can just barely do this. Prior to signing dirk, cap hold for 6 minimum FA's is 6*427000 ~ 2,600,000). Use the remaining below salary cap space to fill out the roster, together with the MLE, and LLE.

Duncan/Mahinimi
Dirk
MLE FA
Manu
Tony/Hill
+ LLE FA, 2010 1st round pick, assorted Vet min players(likely to include Hairston, Gist, 1 or 2 2009 second round picks)...

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Teams under the cap don't get cap exceptions.

Tully365
02-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Nice post pad300...

My main concern is the idea of waiting out this season and next to get, say, Chris Bosh in 2010. I hope that Duncan's longevity is more like Kareem's than Shaq's, but it's impossible to know. I'd guess, based on styles of play, body type, and other factors that it will be somewhere in between those two, but again, we won't know until we get there. But if Duncan's drop-off is anything close to that of Shaq, Ben Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal, or many others, 2010 could be too late. I just think the Spurs have too much talent now to compromise the next two playoff runs because of the 2010 FA bonanza.

StoneBuddha
02-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Nice post pad300...

I just think the Spurs have too much talent now to compromise the next two playoff runs because of the 2010 FA bonanza.

I agree. You know the saying, a bird in hand...

I hope the Spurs are contrarians in regards to 2010.

Odds are, they won't win one of the prizes in the 2010 bonanza. The better odds of success are to get some assests from teams who are looking to clear cap room for that. I hope they are contrarians in regards to 2010.

ss1986v2
02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
my take has always been a pessimistic one. i dont think we have a shot at the cream of the 2010 crop, and im not sure id break the bank on the 2nd tier guys if it means gutting the roster. assuming manu and mason are still contributing members of our core by them, id rather simply keep them around (if not, all bets off).

assuming we do nothing dramatic this season (and i doubt we do), i think the more prudent route would be to try and package our expiring deals and limited assets next year to try and get in on someone else slashing payroll to get into the 2010 market. then add in one MLE type player over the next two year, because i doubt we spend the full MLE in back to back years being at/over the tax line. plus any potential draft choices (2nd rounders + 2010 1st, if not traded) and possible international stashes (gist + splitter, while still probably doubtful). and maybe your stray vet min type looking to add to a championship caliber team.

02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
for the 2010 plan to work, spurs have sign ginobili to much less or not sign him at all. otherwise, the 2010 plan is a time to resign original spurs' players.

Rogue
02-16-2009, 05:42 PM
I tend to believe those big names will remain in their teams that they are playing on, then al of their chasers will find themselves being fooled in 10.

Mr Bones
02-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Some 2009 Free Agents that might fit (and their shortcomings):

Chris Andersen (not a typical Spur profile... but I like him)
Ron Artest (do I even have to say it?)
Charlie Villanueva ( rep for being lazy on D/ probably too expensive)
Mouhamed Sene (foul-prone/limited offensively)
Joe Smith (senior citizen, almost)
Chris Wilcox (no D)
Marcin Gortat (Restricted FA, any offer could be matched)
Trevor Ariza (probably will get bigger offer than MLE)

wildbill2u
02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Anyone see any major sign and trades in the offing before the deadline. Some of these teams with good free agents in 2010 could get caught in 2010 without a seat at the table when the music stops.

It might make more sense to try and move them now and get something instead of zip?

02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
chris bosh keeps coming up as a name. i don't really like bosh that much because of his defense. his offensive game is good but defensively, he's not the bigman to anchor any defense. also, i think his game kind of reminds me of kevin garnett just without the defense or rebounding.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2009, 06:54 PM
there's absolutely no chance we're getting Bosh..he's going to get a max contract from a team that overpays him, probably Toronto..

ss' plan sounds pretty good..I HIGHLY doubt we'll get a big name, and I don't really want one..hopefully Tony will have improved even more by then, and will be ready to take the role as the primary player on the team..Duncan will still be a great player at that time, although no longer the dominant player he is today..Manu should still be good as well..

I like signing a young MLE player to help..hopefully George will have developed some more by then..hopefully we'll have Hairston, Mahinmi, and Gist healthy and on the roster by then..

Parker, Hill, Mason, Hairston, Gist, Duncan, Mahinmi, Manu, Bonner, a MLE player, a player acquired in a trade next year, and a past his prime veteran signing for cheap, sounds like a pretty good roster to me..

Thompson
02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
As long as we're saying hopefully, hopefully we'll have Splitter by then to go along with a healthy Mahinmi.

ginomvp
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
there's absolutely no chance we're getting Bosh..he's going to get a max contract from a team that overpays him, probably Toronto..

ss' plan sounds pretty good..I HIGHLY doubt we'll get a big name, and I don't really want one..hopefully Tony will have improved even more by then, and will be ready to take the role as the primary player on the team..Duncan will still be a great player at that time, although no longer the dominant player he is today..Manu should still be good as well..

I like signing a young MLE player to help..hopefully George will have developed some more by then..hopefully we'll have Hairston, Mahinmi, and Gist healthy and on the roster by then..

Parker, Hill, Mason, Hairston, Gist, Duncan, Mahinmi, Manu, Bonner, a MLE player, a player acquired in a trade next year, and a past his prime veteran signing for cheap, sounds like a pretty good roster to me..
i agree.

02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
if james wants multiple championships, there's no better place than right next to duncan and parker. pipe dream as it may be, but there is no other team with cap space in 2010 that can offer a better chance for a championship than the spurs. duncan will stay for at least two more years after 2010 and parker will make a great wingman for james for years to come. plus in 2010, all the spurs' draft and stash + young picks will finally develop. hairston, hill, splitter, mahinmi, mason, and gist have the potential to be at least solid role players.

ginomvp
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
if james wants multiple championships, there's no better place than right next to duncan and parker. pipe dream as it may be, but there is no other team with cap space in 2010 that can offer a better chance for a championship than the spurs. duncan will stay for at least two more years after 2010 and parker will make a great wingman for james for years to come. plus in 2010, all the spurs' draft and stash + young picks will finally develop. hairston, hill, splitter, mahinmi, mason, and gist have the potential to be at least solid role players.
to be honest i dont think james would be a great addition tyo the spurs. he demands the ball too much and he demands even more attention. as great as he is i dont think he would be a great fit here. beside all the guy thonks about is money and himself.

02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
to be honest i dont think james would be a great addition tyo the spurs. he demands the ball too much and he demands even more attention. as great as he is i dont think he would be a great fit here. beside all the guy thonks about is money and himself.

i don't think james is the type of player that demands attention. attention definitely goes to him, but to say that he demands it is a bit harsh. he's a player that wants to win and understands the value of defense. he does get the ball a lot but that's because the cavs aren't a team with a lot of options. with mo williams on the team, james has no problem letting williams take over games while playing a secondary role. he's also getting a lot of double digit assists this season and in past seasons.

i have no problem with james becoming the main option on the spurs because by 2010, he will obviously be better than duncan and parker. surround him with three point shooters, and the spurs will be unstoppable. pipe dream though. spurs can offer a max contract but cleavland can offer more and a longer contract. bigger markets can provide better endorsement deals.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 07:50 PM
There are only two possible destinations for Lebron in 2010. Neither of them are San Antonio.

Ditty
02-17-2009, 02:08 AM
first hoepfully the economy gets better and there will be a real 2010 free agent market

the spurs supposdly i heard should have $25 million enough to sign 2 big players to long term deals i say we can work with ginobil about a huge pay cut about a 3 year 9 million contract would be pefect for him but the 3rd year be our decision jsut inc ase if duncan decides to call it quits by 2012 which i hope he retires until he's 40 because i don't want pop to go where i want him to get 1,000 wins and hopefully we can match the bulls 6 championships or better when it's said and done and if mason keeps playing well then we can keep him like a brent barry useage

my personal and most likely free agent to give us interest is chris bosh first because he's from texas more from the dallas area and plus texas dosen't have a state tax like canada and plus he gets to play along a 35 year old tim duncan and hopefully learn from him to get more better

my guess this offseason is to probably go after trevor ariza to replace bruce would be really nice giving him the full MLE and somehow doing a sign and trade with pistons for rasheed walalce would be nice also but that might not happen espically if the salary cap dosen't increase

and also when tim duncan's contract goes off the books in 2012 i hope we go after al jefferson or lamarcus aldridge or how bout greg oden if he dosen't become a bust he could be our steal when shaq was signed by the lakers from the magic that would be nice espically with all the blazer stuff that went down this year

and last but not least to keep tony parker in a spurs uniform the rest of his carrer i can't see eva going for anyone besides the spurs
dream 2010 lineup:
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Trevor Ariza
Geroge Hill
Tony Parker

i say we go small in our front court

rasheed wallace
ian mihimmi
james gist
manu ginobili
malik hairston
well probably pick another guard in 2010 draft if we don't sign a future shooting guard
roger mason
victor sanikidze he'll be the 12th man also
Sergei Karaulov to see how he can do but he'll probably be riding the bench the whole time ha
and hopefully sign another guy in the 2010 free agent to help us out like a joe johnson would be really nice with chris bosh
and also can't forget this year's second round draft picks dang we'll be packed hopefull 2 out of 3 of them are kids from overseas and the other who is a big guy that could be a steal in this years draft in the second round

and i left out tiago splitter because i believe he'll be trade sorry guys

sorry for my bad grammer ha

Chieflion
02-17-2009, 05:00 AM
Dwayne Wade!!!

FuzzyLumpkins
02-17-2009, 06:25 AM

Bosh is a 20/10 young post player. Thats pretty much the most coveted thing in basketball today.

I would trade Manu and Mason for Bosh and not even have to think about it.

coyotes_geek
02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Bosh is a 20/10 young post player. Thats pretty much the most coveted thing in basketball today.

But you're not trading Manu and Mason for Bosh. You're trading Manu and Mason for a chance at signing Bosh. What if Bosh doesn't sign here? Manu isn't going to wait around to see whether or not the Spurs get Bosh, especially since the only shot at Bosh in 2010 involves telling Manu to piss off when he asks for an extension in 2009.

4lifecowboy
02-17-2009, 10:25 AM
But you're not trading Manu and Mason for Bosh. You're trading Manu and Mason for a chance at signing Bosh. What if Bosh doesn't sign here? Manu isn't going to wait around to see whether or not the Spurs get Bosh, especially since the only shot at Bosh in 2010 involves telling Manu to piss off when he asks for an extension in 2009.

Bosh or Bust Baby

coyotes_geek
02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Bosh or Bust Baby

Considering that in 2010 Bosh will probably be getting a call from Wade saying "join me in Miami" and one from Lebron saying "let's both go to New York" I'm afraid the odds of that decision coming up "bust" are pretty good.

mountainballer
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Considering that in 2010 Bosh will probably be getting a call from Wade saying "join me in Miami" and one from Lebron saying "let's both go to New York" I'm afraid the odds of that decision coming up "bust" are pretty good.

the Magic very likely don't have a plan how to be a player in 2010, but if they find a way to clear enough cap space (by a Lewis for expirings trade), I think there is also a chance that a call from his best fried Dwight Howard would help to bring in Bosh. (Bosh called Howard and Josh Powell his best friends).

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
the Magic very likely don't have a plan how to be a player in 2010, but if they find a way to clear enough cap space (by a Lewis for expirings trade), I think there is also a chance that a call from his best fried Dwight Howard would help to bring in Bosh. (Bosh called Howard and Josh Powell his best friends).

You're right but there's no way anyone would want to acquire his ridiculous contract. The Magic outbid themselves and ironically Lewis is probably going to be the reason why they won't win a title.

4lifecowboy
02-17-2009, 11:32 AM
He may be homesick and Dallas is right up the road. Not to mention the chance to play for a five star organization, and learn under the greatest player of this era.

mountainballer
02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
You're right but there's no way anyone would want to acquire his ridiculous contract. The Magic outbid themselves and ironically Lewis is probably going to be the reason why they won't win a title.

totally agree. the Lewis contract is probably the most ridiculous signing of the last 5 years. they would need a teaser like a top 3 pick or a young top talent to package with Lewis, so that other teams are interested. both they don't have and they won't get.
the Lewis contract might even be the reason why Dwight Howard will walk away 2012, when he realized that he won't win a title with this team.

mountainballer
02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
He may be homesick and Dallas is right up the road. Not to mention the chance to play for a five star organization, and learn under the greatest player of this era.

he might just go to the Mavs if he is that homesick. believe it or not, but the Mavs have some options to clear cap space 2010, if they focus on this. (Dampier's contract isn't guaranteed and they might not use the TO for Josh)

4lifecowboy
02-17-2009, 11:48 AM
he might just go to the Mavs if he is that homesick. believe it or not, but the Mavs have some options to clear cap space 2010, if they focus on this. (Dampier's contract isn't guaranteed and they might not use the TO for Josh)

Now your reachin, we still have TP and a first class FO, and POP. Between the two there is no comparison.

mountainballer
02-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Now your reachin, we still have TP and a first class FO, and POP. Between the two there is no comparison.

sorry, but claiming we have a shot at Bosh in 2010 is no less reaching than that he might want to go to Dallas.
2003 we had a brand new ring, a young Tim, even younger TP and Manu, a boatload of money, Pop and the same first class FO.
what did it bring in? Rasho! on an overpriced contract.
premium FAs just don't go to SA. that's sad, but that's what it is.

coyotes_geek
02-17-2009, 12:16 PM

What's a reach is believing that the Spurs are going to deliberately piss off Manu and forego any significant roster moves between now and summer 2010 just so they can cling onto the Chris Bosh dream.

Manu's going to get an extension this offseason and then the Spurs will make up their minds whether or not to use their MLE in 2009, or try to have just enough cap space to beat the MLE in 2010.

4lifecowboy
02-17-2009, 12:26 PM
What's a reach is believing that the Spurs are going to deliberately piss off Manu and forego any significant roster moves between now and summer 2010 just so they can cling onto the Chris Bosh dream.

Manu's going to get an extension this offseason and then the Spurs will make up their minds whether or not to use their MLE in 2009, or try to have just enough cap space to beat the MLE in 2010.

That has been the plan, WTF are you talkin about. It's been no secret they have lined up all contracts so they could be a players in the '10 FA market. I'm simply sayin Bosh should be and probably is the best fit and most obtainable.

rascal
02-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Agree. Bosh is a max caliber frontline player. Those are in high demand.

rascal
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM

Agree. They will pay manu so there goes any max player for the 2010 plan.

coyotes_geek
02-17-2009, 01:02 PM
That has been the plan, WTF are you talkin about. It's been no secret they have lined up all contracts so they could be a players in the '10 FA market. I'm simply sayin Bosh should be and probably is the best fit and most obtainable.

There's different type of players in the FA market. If the Spurs wanted to have a max contract to throw around then they severely hindered their chances when they gave Tim Duncan his extension. If they wanted to have enough cap room to beat the MLE, which gives you more money to spend than the majority of teams out there, then they can still do that.

Ironic timing here with the breaking news about Manu being out with injury tonight. If the Spurs have concerns about Manu's long term health then that does change things significantly.

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
I would also never pay Bosh the MAX neither..I've gotten to watch him closely over the years..while he's a great player, and he WILL get max money, he doesn't deserve it at this point..he's not a #1 option in this league, similar to Stoudemire..

there are only 5-10 guys that deserve the MAX in the NBA, and we already have one of them..