PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think getting a ring for winning the Gold Medal is lame???

smahmood26
02-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I thought that was just tacky. The gold medal itself should be enough, why in the world do we have to sit there and watch the same guys get the same credit over and over again. I know basketball gets rings for everything on every level but do that behind closed doors. Winning the gold and bringing "credibility" back to the US was great, but then we show the world that again we are more fascinated with glitz, glamor, and self recognition. The world has caught up to us in basketball and we have proven we are back on top, but leave it at that. At the very least fly all the damn players out there so they all can get it as a "TEAM"

DBMethos
02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
I made a small note of that in the game blog. I mean, it's an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL. Why in the world would they need a completely inconsequential ring to go along with it?

angel_luv
02-16-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree that the rings are over the top, but any excuse for new jewelry I guess. :lol

scanry
02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Colangelo is an attention whore.

ploto
02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
If Duncan had been on the team, you would think it was great to be recognized.You are just mad it was more praise for Kobe, LeBron, and Chris.

tlongII
02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
If Duncan had been on the team, you would think it was great to be recognized.You are just mad it was more praise for Kobe, LeBron, and Chris.

z0sa
02-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Didn't only 6 off the roster get rings?

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 12:06 PM
I think the Spurs deserve a special trophy for having won the Larry OBrien trophy 4 times.

smahmood26
02-16-2009, 12:06 PM

If Duncan were on the team HE would think it was lame

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Didn't only 6 off the roster get rings?

That's what I was wondering. I've got no problems recognizing those guys, but shouldn't the rest of the Olympic team get that recognition too?

Thunder Dan
02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I thought it was bullshit, and I think it's bullshit that they are praising these guys so mcuh. Seriously, Colangalo's "we owe these guys a debt of gratitude" (while they are playing around in the background) speech was bullshit. Those guys make more money than I will ever see in my life, they are playing a freakin game with all All Stars on their team against teams with maybe one guy in the NBA...and you want me to act like it's a big deal? Shit, there are people doing great things in this world- but beating a bunch of other teams with scrubs isn't one. Don't act like these guys are owed anything other than that gold medal. They play a stupid game for entertainment and we as fans owe nothing to them. I'm not standing up to congratulate them for doing something they are supposed to do. And to the players: stop acting like this is such a big fucking deal. When someone asks you what is more important to you, a gold medal or a Championship, don't say Gold medal because it makes you look stupid. How is going out with 12 All Stars and beating teams full of scubs an achievement? I'm sick of it. I love basketball, but let's not act like you are curing cancer. If I go to the gym tonight and play a team of mentally challenged kids in wheel chairs and beat the crap out of them I'm not going to act like it's a big achievement. Let's stop with this madness of acting like it was a big deal

Thunder Dan
02-16-2009, 12:17 PM
now if Canada went out and won the gold, or Iran, then I could see getting excited

scanry
02-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I thought it was bullshit, and I think it's bullshit that they are praising these guys so mcuh. Seriously, Colangalo's "we owe these guys a debt of gratitude" (while they are playing around in the background) speech was bullshit. Those guys make more money than I will ever see in my life, they are playing a freakin game with all All Stars on their team against teams with maybe one guy in the NBA...and you want me to act like it's a big deal? Shit, there are people doing great things in this world- but beating a bunch of other teams with scrubs isn't one. Don't act like these guys are owed anything other than that gold medal. They play a stupid game for entertainment and we as fans owe nothing to them. I'm not standing up to congratulate them for doing something they are supposed to do. And to the players: stop acting like this is such a big fucking deal. When someone asks you what is more important to you, a gold medal or a Championship, don't say Gold medal because it makes you look stupid. How is going out with 12 All Stars and beating teams full of scubs an achievement? I'm sick of it. I love basketball, but let's not act like you are curing cancer. If I go to the gym tonight and play a team of mentally challenged kids in wheel chairs and beat the crap out of them I'm not going to act like it's a big achievement. Let's stop with this madness of acting like it was a big deal

So you think Spain & Argentina are equivalent to a team of mentally challenged kids? :lol

That being said, i agree with you on the fake appreciation. BTW Argentina almost beat them without Ginobili and Spain could've won if they had more offense.

Thunder Dan
02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
So you think Spain & Argentina are equivalent to a team of mentally challenged kids? :lol

That being said, i agree with you on the fake appreciation. BTW Argentina almost beat them without Ginobili and Spain could've won if they had more offense.

I'm saying that me and my buddies taking on the kids in wheelchairs is comparable to 12 All Stars and 5 Hall of Famers taking on anyone in the Olympics. See, the Dream Team knew this and is why they didn't make such a big deal about it when they won in 92. Team USA was 12 deep- Argentina wasn't 12 men deep. I mean Boozer was the 11th man and never played, he would have been a focus on those other teams. If anything the Americans underachieved by letting any team get withing 25 of them

Girasuck
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
What was bullshit is that the entire team wasn't there. Either the entire team received the rings together or don't do it at all.

JamStone
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Why in the world would they need a completely inconsequential ring to go along with it?

To sell on eBay when they're 50 and gambled all their millions away...

As for the entire team being there, a lot of NBA players that are not invited to the All Star break want to get away with their wives and families and take vacations. Few would want to go there just to get a ring at half time if they're not participating in anything else. They'd rather be on the beach of Hawai'i or Jamaica.

Thunder Dan
02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I will never understand though why they made up the tradition of giving rings to teams winning a gold medal. The gold medal is the damn prize, not some stupid ring. They should save the rings for guys in the Olympics that actually accomplished something great. The original Dream Team didn't make such a big deal of winning a Gold because they knew they were beating teams that sucked. You don't hear Jordan saying how life changing the Olympics were.

docend24
02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Is thisw for real? So I guess olympic Gold medal is a piece of crap. Poor Phelps:)

smahmood26
02-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Also, it was pretty lame to bring out the International guys who competed.

smahmood26
Is thisw for real? So I guess olympic Gold medal is a piece of crap. Poor Phelps:)

Gold Medal not crap, ring for winning medal=crap

z0sa

his 8 rings take time to make.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Did he think it was lame to be the leader and captain of team that didnt win the medal?

He probably thought it was lame that the 2nd and 3rd best players on his team were a couple of 20 year olds that Larry Brown refused to play.

IronMexican

:wowA Bobcat fan.

angel_luv
That's what I was wondering. I've got no problems recognizing those guys, but shouldn't the rest of the Olympic team get that recognition too?

I assume the rest will get theirs at a later date- perhaps presented at their team's home arena by their coaches.
Still since the league or whoever had the ceremony at the All Star game, they ought to have included everyone in it.

angel_luv
02-16-2009, 01:32 PM
To sell on eBay when they're 50 and gambled all their millions away...

As for the entire team being there, a lot of NBA players that are not invited to the All Star break want to get away with their wives and families and take vacations. Few would want to go there just to get a ring at half time if they're not participating in anything else. They'd rather be on the beach of Hawai'i or Jamaica.

That is a good point. I had not thought of that.

slowchild25
02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
It's an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL. Why in the world would they need a completely inconsequential ring to go along with it?

Because there is very few times when you can wear you an Olympic Gold Medal around your neck and pull it off. A ring is more understated and tasteful. We all know NBA players are not all about wearing giant shiny medallions around their necks and are all about looking classy.

angel_luv
02-16-2009, 02:25 PM
We all know NBA players are not all about wearing giant shiny medallions around their necks and are all about looking classy.

:lol :lol