PDA

View Full Version : Is Shaq kissing too much a$$

scanry
02-16-2009, 11:53 AM
He's literally kissing Kobe's & Phil's ass. :sleep

I think he's given up on the Suns, like he did in Miami. Since his team is not going to make the playoffs, I guess he should demand a trade to a contender like last year.

I used to give Shaq the benefit of the doubt during the Shaq-Kobe feud, but i think Lakers really did the right thing by trading Shaq.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-16-2009, 11:56 AM
I can't blame him for giving up on a team more concerned with having fun with BFF's and being THE MAN!!! than winning a title. I just think it's wrong that he's making it so transparent.

He won't go back to LA, in the back of Kobe's head he's really sick of hearing he can't win without Shaq.

hater
02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
that's Shaq right there.

Shortly, he will start to throw the Suns under the bus and request to be traded.

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
From once being the most dominant force in basketball, Shaq has now been reduced to a pathetic spotlight-hogger and ass-kisser. If he hadn't been such a big jerk, I'd almost feel sorry for him. Personally, I'm not one who thinks he's clever, funny or unique. He's just got a big mouth and is The BIG INSECURE.

He also suffers from selective amnesia. Does he not remember all the drama the he and Kobe created while they were teammates? Does he not remember the petty jealousies between them? Does he not remember his ill-fated, underground rap that was blasted all over YouTube last year?

If he thinks that Kobe would EVER, EVER allow him to come back to Fakerland, he's as delusional as his listed weight (325 lbs). Maybe it's Kobe's turn to ask Shaq, "tell me how my ass tastes?"

pauls931
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
The interview on the bench almost made me puke. I like Shaq, but come on, the underground video says it all.

TheMACHINE
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
The interview on the bench almost made me puke. I like Shaq, but come on, the underground video says it all.

Shaq probably got butt hurt when Kobe answered "no" to the nostalgic question..

:lol

I rather not have shaq back....it might hurt the chemistry and will definately hurt the speed of the second squad.

scanry
02-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Shaq probably got butt hurt when Kobe answered "no" to the nostalgic question..

:lol

I rather not have shaq back....it might hurt the chemistry and will definately hurt the speed of the second squad.

might???

Who you kidding? You know what Shaq said when he was traded to the Suns? That he'd be the 2nd,3rd, or the 4th option. But at the beginning of this season, he wanted more touches.

Shaq changes his mind in a split second. BTW he has a huge ego, and it will eventually conflict with Kobe's.

IronMexican
02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I wonder how many titles Duncan has if Shaq never entered the league.

Purple & Gold
02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Bynum and Shaq would be monsters for opposing centers. After his contract is up or if he gets bought out I'll be the first one to welcome him back to the Lakeshow.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Shaq is smart enough to figure out that the team he plays for isn't nearly good enough to back up his mouth, no matter how well he plays. Hence the humble attitude. Kobe knows that if he just goes along with it that he gets to see Shaq kiss his arse and gets praised for taking the high road at the same time.

Plus I'm sure Stern made it known to both how much he wanted a made for TV kiss and make up session.

scanry
02-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Duncan got his title before Shaq did. BTW Duncan didn't ride the coattails of another player for his 4th. He still is the center piece of the Spurs, and unlike Shaq he didn't demand more touches and in the process ruin the team's chemistry. :sleep

You might like Shaq, but don't you think his recent ass kissing is a bit much? I am a little disgusted, and it shows that he doesn't have any self respect after how he dissed Kobe over the years.

scanry
02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Bynum and Shaq would be monsters for opposing centers. After his contract is up or if he gets bought out I'll be the first one to welcome him back to the Lakeshow.

You think Shaq will contribute let alone play at the age of 39? :lol

cnyc3
02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
i think thats a legit question.. duncan would have won a lot more if shaq never entered the league.. and vice versa

IronMexican
02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Whatever he does, he gets scrutinized. He talks shit, he's an ass. He gives props, he's kissing ass. You guys would never be happy.

j-money24
02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
im pretty sure inside kobe he wud not want shaq back
he wants to win the big one without shaq so the media can stfu.

IronMexican
02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
And Purple & Gold has the right mind set. You take the guys who help you win.

scanry
02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Whatever he does, he gets scrutinized. He talks shit, he's an ass. He gives props, he's kissing ass. You guys would never be happy.

You might not like our reactions, but don't you think the Shaq ass kissing & Kobe-Shaq reunion was being shoved down our throats? :sleep

People watch the All-Star game for entertainment, not for the Shaq-Kobe love fest. It was so fucking fake and i'm glad that Kobe said "no" to the magnolia question after the all-star game press conference.

Purple & Gold
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
You think Shaq will contribute let alone play at the age of 39? :lol

If Mutombo can still contribute I don't see why Shaq can't. Big guys can play lnger then perimeter players. Sometimes all they need to do is be big. And you can't tell me he'd be any worse then Mbenga and Mihm.

nkdlunch
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I feel sorry for Shaq. He tried so hard to take the spotlight last night. Yes, he sort of succedded. But with the help of the NBA and all the allstars of course. It's still sad to see how much he tries now that he is the big non-relevant during the season.

Purple & Gold
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
And Purple & Gold has the right mind set. You take the guys who help you win.

Yup it's all about winnng Championships. I could give a shit about peoples feelings being hurt and not wanting to forgive. It's all about winning more and more Rings.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Yup it's all about winnng Championships. I could give a shut about peoples feelings being hurt and not wanting to forgive. It's all about winning more and more Rings.

Yep. If Shaq got bought out tomorrow the Spurs would be going after him just as hard as the lakers would. Maybe even harder given the need. And most Spur fans would be perfectly okay with it if we got him.

Red Hawk #21
02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
It was fun to watch Shaq and Kobe last night but there is no way Kobe would want Shaq back though.

IronMexican
02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Shaq NEVER said Wade was better than Kobe. Shaq said Wade was the best teammate he's ever had. Kobe certainly isn't a model teammate.

Ditty
02-16-2009, 01:58 PM

how many title the surs would won without kobe i say we should of won maybe in 2001 and 2004 and we would of probsbly lost last year to boston

TheMACHINE
02-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Shaq is gonna help the Lakers win? Sorry Iron and P&G, you guys are living as if it were 6years ago.

Pelicans78
02-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Kareem never fussed like Kobe did. Kobe always wanted to be the guy and once said Shaq's job is to rebound and defend. Kobe is nothing like Kareem. Kobe has been an asshole for most of his career which is why he will never be revered like Jordan or even Lebron.

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I find it ironic that Shaq has left a trail of "scored earth" everytime he's left a team. He'll do the same to the Suns, if he ever gets out. Now he wants to go back to the team that he scorched first? Give me a break.

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Then why is Shaq beggin to come back to play with someone as horrible as Kobe? Magic and Kareem had their issues, but Magic was big enough to take back seat to Kareem.

And come on. After seeing what happened in the Olympics and twice this season, Lebron is not even in the same stratosphere as Kobe and Jordan. Get a clue man.

Hmmm. Since I don't follow the Fakers, I've never heard that before. I'm not surprised though. Out of curiousity, what issues did Magic and Kareem have with one another.

Pelicans78
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Then why is Shaq beggin to come back to play with someone as horrible as Kobe? Magic and Kareem had their issues, but Magic was big enough to take back seat to Kareem.

And come on. After seeing what happened in the Olympics and twice this season, Lebron is not even in the same stratosphere as Kobe and Jordan. Get a clue man.

Kareem and Magic never really had issues. How come Phil criticized Kobe in his book? Everyone knew Kobe had the issues. He wanted to be like Jordan and wanted to carry a franchise on his back. Shaq was in his way. He wanted to be the man and failed miserably after Shaq left. Before the Gasol robbery, they were destined to be a 3rd-5th seed, even with Bynum healthy.

I'm not talking about skills. Kobe isn't liked as well as Jordan was or as Lebron is now. He can never undue his reputation as being selfish or with his arrest a few years ago. He will be recognized as a great player, but won't have the iconic status as Jordan, mainly because he's been an asshole most of his career and people don't like assholes.

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Going all the way back to him not getting along with Chris Jackson at LSU.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that either. That's why I call him the "BIG INSECURE". He can't get along with anyone who has as much spotlight or pub as he has. Just like when he manufactured a feud with D-Rob, while he was in high school! He claimed that D-Rob turned him down for an autograph. Which, not surprisingly, turned out to be a big lie. If anyone knows anything about Robinson, it's that he's more of the most engaging athletes/people you'll ever meet.

Pelicans78
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Hmmm. Since I don't follow the Fakers, I've never heard that before. I'm not surprised though. Out of curiousity, what issues did Magic and Kareem have with one another.

None, he's just making it up so it will make Kobe less of an asshole.

hater
02-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Magic's rookie season he did not like the flow and tempo of the team, which was run by Paul Westhead. Magic wanted to run and gun, and Kareem who was in his 30's at the time wanted to play a slow paced game. After they won the title in 1980, Magic threatened to retire if Westhead wasnt fired. Guess who was fired?

Magic eventually got his showtime era but he understood that Kareem was the go to man, which is why you always heard Magic refer to Kareem as captain. Magic was the showman, and Kareem was the steady go to guy you can count on during clutch situations. Their relationship was much similar to Kobe's and Shaq's, except Kobe was the more younger and more maturer. Kareem has somewhat of a smug attitude if you will. He'd much rather have his nose in a book than have it between some chics legs like Magic. However you want to look at it they were polar opposites, but they made it work.

People give Magic a pass because he won, but Magic ran two coaches out of town... Westhead and Riley. This is not a knock on Magic, but Im just pointing out it wasnt all peaches and cream on that team.

Kobe was not only the best player, but the hardest woker on the Lakers. Notice how his career took off after Shaq left? All Kobe cared about was winning, and he felt like if he had an in-shape Shaq they would never lose. Kobe once said it was a time when he would come to practice and no one would even speak to him. Shaq had caused a division on the team to the point where players chose which side they were on. Horry left because of this. Lets not forget how Van Exel was shipped out because of Shaq.

Not to mention all of the lame players that Shaq demanded be brought to the team to please Shaq. Dennis Scott, J.R. Reid, Samaki Walker, and a few others.

Kareem and Magic eventually set aside their personalities to own a decade. Kobe and Shaq let their personalities destroy a dynasty. Kobe never wanted to leave LA, he just wanted to get away from Shaq and PJ. Buss made the right decision.

If Kobe was such a horrible guy, why would PJ and Shaq come back to play with him? At this point, the Lakers dont need Shaq to come in and disrupt the flow of things.

yeah, that pretty much sums up how things went in LA. Kobe is completely innocent in the whole situation :rolleyes

TheMACHINE
02-16-2009, 03:38 PM
yeah, that pretty much sums up how things went in LA. Kobe is completely innocent in the whole situation :rolleyes

he' s not completely innocent, but why would the Lakers want Shaq back anyways.

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Magic's rookie season he did not like the flow and tempo of the team, which was run by Paul Westhead. Magic wanted to run and gun, and Kareem who was in his 30's at the time wanted to play a slow paced game. After they won the title in 1980, Magic threatened to retire if Westhead wasnt fired. Guess who was fired? ..
Very similar circumstances.

People give Magic a pass because he won, but Magic ran two coaches out of town... Westhead and Riley. This is not a knock on Magic, but Im just pointing out it wasnt all peaches and cream on that team..
Didn't know Magic ran out Riley. I thought they were tight to the end. I know they're still tight today. What the hell happened there?

Kobe was not only the best player, but the hardest woker on the Lakers. Notice how his career took off after Shaq left? All Kobe cared about was winning, and he felt like if he had an in-shape Shaq they would never lose. Kobe once said it was a time when he would come to practice and no one would even speak to him. Shaq had caused a division on the team to the point where players chose which side they were on. Horry left because of this. Lets not forget how Van Exel was shipped out because of Shaq.
I thought Horry left because he was being scapegoated for the poor year that he had. What kind of beef could Shaq have possibly had with Nick the Quick?

Not to mention all of the lame players that Shaq demanded be brought to the team to please Shaq. Dennis Scott, J.R. Reid, Samaki Walker, and a few others.

Don't forget Brian Shaw. I do remember he loudly requested the Fakers sign him from their days in Orlando.

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Shaq feels threatened by anyone who can threaten his popularity. Chris Jackson was hailed at LSU and the NCAA when he and Shaq played, but they didnt get along and was stomped by GA Tech in the tournament.

When Shaq was in his second season with the Magic, the team wanted to draft Chris Webber, but Shaq demanded they bring Penny in. Webber was the talk of the town coming out of college and would have stolen the spotlight from Shaq. Turns out Penny turned into a star, and Shaq turned on him.

Shaq leaves Orlando and comes to LA and was treated like a God. Jerry West brings in Kobe to build a dynasty, and as soon as Kobe starts to grow and get popular, Shaq starts saying LA was his team. Notice how you have never heard of such bullshit with any other two stars... only Shaq.

David Robinson was probably one of the more mild mannered, respectable guys in the hisotry of the league, and yet Shaq had to make up a false dislike for D-Rob just to compete against him. Shaq would have loved to diss Duncan but Duncan owned his ass in many of games, just like Hakeem, so Shaq is forced to respect those guys.

Shaq has some serious character flaws. He buys friendships as he goes. He reminds me of a pretty woman thats praise much, but as soon as she gets in the room with other pretty women, she disrupts the atmosphere to get all the attention. Some of you know what Im talking about.

It's amazing how Shaq gets such a media pass simply because he's quick with a quote or a comment or that he has 147 nicknames for himself. I'm not saying Kobe is without blood on his hands either, but it's very easy to make him the lone bad guy.

YellowFever
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM

That is pretty much the way things went on between Shaq and Kobe.

Why the rolling of the eyes?

Do you have a different persepctive of how things went?

We'd love to hear about it.

scanry
02-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Magic was pissed at Riley for his two-a-day practices, and when he and Byron Scott both pulled hamstrings during the Lakers threepeat run against the Pistons, tempers had boiled over. Riley was considered the best coach in the league with the best team in the league, and he bolts because he felt he had lost the respect of his team. Cooper confirmed this in an interview once when he said, "Magic was the coach of the team, we listened to Magic. If Riley drew up a play, Magic would scratch that play and make his own." This was a response that Coop gave while someone was praising Riley for the showtime era.

Horry once said in LA that he couldnt take it in LA with all the egos, and guys fighting over money. Shaq was the only one fighting over money.

Nick was quoted as chanting while on the bench "Cancun here I come" while the Lakers were getting knocked out of the playoffs against Utah. Shaq publicly demanded Nick be traded, and he was...:lol

:lol:lol:lol

Wow... :lol

BTW keep em coming. I'm loving your hard drive stories. Have any more??

scanry
02-16-2009, 04:12 PM
That is pretty much the way things went on between Shaq and Kobe.

Why the rolling of the eyes?

Do you have a different persepctive of how things went?

We'd love to hear about it.

Contribute with a story you mofo...:lol:lol

Who cares about what that guy thinks anyway. He has Kobe on rape alert lock, so might as well ignore his comments.

BTW keep em comin lakarluva...

2Cleva
02-16-2009, 04:18 PM
You know that look a guy has when he had a great relationship with a girl but now he can't stand the bitch.

That's the look Kobe has everytime he has to be with Shaq.

Shaq's not going back to LA.

scanry
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
You are right. Americans love stupic, so the media feeds them their share. Like I said, Shaq has some serious character flaws. Why would he even mention Kareem's and Ewing's name in his Kobe How My Ass Taste vid. Its jealousy. Shaq also admited that he didnt like Alonzo before they played on the same team in Miami. Alonzo's response was, "you not suppose to like the oposing players."

I would love to see the Lakers go on and win another title while Shaq is still playing, because his ego was so big he thought the team would never recover from him demanding to be traded. Why would he want to come back to an organization he called cut throat anyway.

People may think I dislike Shaq, but Im just loyal to my Lakers. Shaq has no loyalty, Kobe either, but atleast Kobe stuck with the team when things were horrible.

I mean, imagine Ducan jealous of Parker for winning a finals MVP. Duncan is going down as the greatest power foward in the history of the game, but he lets his teammates shine, and you can tell he wants them to get recognition.

I don't think Duncan cares about recognition. I recall him saying recently that he is proud of the fact that Manu & Tony developed and it will only help him in his twilight years.

I think every superstar has an ego, but it always seemed that Shaq had the biggest. He is the most insecure BB player i've ever seen.

scanry
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
You know that look a guy has when he had a great relationship with a girl but now he can't stand the bitch.

That's the look Kobe has everytime he has to be with Shaq.

Shaq's not going back to LA.

I don't think they ever were that close even during that 3-peat.

I'm glad that we had a player like Robinson rather than a Shaq when Duncan was drafted.

YellowFever
02-16-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't think Duncan cares about recognition. I recall him saying recently that he is proud of the fact that Manu & Tony developed and it will only help him in his twilight years.

I think every superstar has an ego, but it always seemed that Shaq had the biggest. He is the most insecure BB player i've ever seen.

You guys might laugh all you want at this statement but if shaq had anywhere near the mental makeup of Duncan, the Lakers might be working on their 5th or 6th championship this decade right now.

RsxPiimp
02-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Kareem never fussed like Kobe did. Kobe always wanted to be the guy and once said Shaq's job is to rebound and defend. Kobe is nothing like Kareem. Kobe has been an asshole for most of his career which is why he will never be revered like Jordan or even Lebron.

mike is the biggest asshole of his generation

scanry
02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
You guys might laugh all you want at this statement but if shaq had anywhere near the mental makeup of Duncan, the Lakers might be working on their 5th or 6th championship this decade right now.

Duncan still beat you guys with a bunch of scrubs in 2003. BTW that 2004 series was hard to watch as our sharp shooters were clanking iron after iron (thanks Hedo).

I don't think you would've beaten us in 2005. We were on a mission and we had better players than the year before. We also had size.

scanry
02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I dont think Kobe ever disliked Shaq as a person. Shaq is hard to hate. I just think Shaq creates an environment that revolves everything around himself, and Kobe wasnt willing to play along, which caused the rift in their relationship.

Kobe has an opt out coming up. I have a hard time seeing Buss bringing in Shaq knowing Kobe could bolt. It would all come down to Kobe's approval, which is ironic...:lol

You think PHX is dumb enough to buyout Shaq after this season????:lol

BTW i thought NBA players can longer be on a max contract after the age of 36.

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 04:45 PM
You can even go back to this rap chic that Shaq was fucking in Atlanta. She cuts the pussy off, and Shaq threatens her career... lol. That guy behaves like hes 12, and on meds.

Wow! Riveting stuff. Can you divulge who said rap chick was?

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Shaq does indeed have his personality flaws. For one, he's very childish and immature - even though he's 36. His lame comedic actions indicate that he has a cartoon mind, which endear him to parents, children and the media. He tries too hard to be funny and it comes off forced - thereby making him look like a buffon. That poorly delivered rap, last year, was the absolute end. The mere fact that he would stoop to such an act shows just how petty and immature he is. This from a supposed role model, father and veteran NBA great, who supposedly prides himself on having benefited from his father military discipline Can anyone imagine Erving, Jabbar, Robinson, Bird, Jordan or Magic ever stooping to such an act at the end of their careers - or at all?

Secondly, his false bravado is a very transparent attempt to hide his insecurities. Which probably explains why he's never gotten along with any other great player he's played with. It just doesn't make sense that he has had beefs with Chris Jackson, Penny Hardaway, Kobe Bryant, et all. The old adage comes to mind that "if it stinks everywhere you go, maybe it's you."

I've noticed he seems very preoccupied with his legacy nowadays. He wants to have his jersey retired at very stop he's been. However, when asked about the subject of his legacy, he states, "I try not to think about it". Then in the next breath, he claims "I thought a lot about it heading into this year. Which jersey I would go in the Hall with?" Huh? Which one is it, Big Cactus?

I'll give his greedy ass credit for one thing - once he got that HUGE contract with the Fakers in '96, he was smart to keep demanding extensions. This ensured he never had to take a pay cut. Which is why you've got a 36 year-old, past-his-prime center,. hoarding up salary cap space by making an ungodly 20mil per annum. Yet giving only minimum effort at times and not being able to play B2B games.

SpursDynasty
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Shaq is losing his edge for being too nice. Giving props to David Robinson?

Rogue
02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I think our mavs should offer suns dampier and stack for him.

cobbler
02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Shaq NEVER said Wade was better than Kobe. Shaq said Wade was the best teammate he's ever had. Kobe certainly isn't a model teammate.

Do you honestly think Shaq would be throwing all this praise on the Lakers, Jackson, and Kobe if the Lakers were a 8th seed?

NOT A CHANCE!!!!!!

Shaq is about Shaq.... PERIOD. He's pathetic. '

Could have been the best center of all time... and due to his piss ass work ethic he barely cracks the top 5 if that.

Pathetic!

cobbler
02-16-2009, 08:20 PM
He wanted to be the man and failed miserably after Shaq left. Before the Gasol robbery, they were destined to be a 3rd-5th seed, even with Bynum healthy.

I'm not talking about skills. Kobe isn't liked as well as Jordan was or as Lebron is now. He can never undue his reputation as being selfish or with his arrest a few years ago. He will be recognized as a great player, but won't have the iconic status as Jordan, mainly because he's been an asshole most of his career and people don't like assholes.

The Lakers were in first place in the west when Bynum went down, after he went down pre Gasol, and post Gasol so I am not sure how you come up with 3-5th seed.

Kobe often took the high road with Shaq. But Shaq is the loveable goof so Kobe was the bad guy. His competitive nature also worked against him just as it did Jordan. Jordan was NOT loved by his teamates and competitors. Respected? Yes. Jordan was the nike media darling. Perceptions are not reality. Just as the perceptions during the Shaq/Kobe era. The real Shaq is showing through now though and I think many are realizing tha Kobe took a lot of unwarranted blame. Shaq has crapped on every team he has ever played for and will do so again with the Suns. None of us knows the real persons. We know what the media portrays. Some just buy into it much easier than others.

cobbler
02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Shaq once made a comment, "If you dont like me, then something must be wrong with you." This was in reference of he and Kobe not getting along, and I kept thinking :wow

or the classic.... "Kobe doesn't know how to play team ball.... this is MY team and the ball should be going through me"

Pelicans78
02-16-2009, 08:31 PM
The Lakers were in first place in the west when Bynum went down, after he went down pre Gasol, and post Gasol so I am not sure how you come up with 3-5th seed.

Kobe often took the high road with Shaq. But Shaq is the loveable goof so Kobe was the bad guy. His competitive nature also worked against him just as it did Jordan. Jordan was NOT loved by his teamates and competitors. Respected? Yes. Jordan was the nike media darling. Perceptions are not reality. Just as the perceptions during the Shaq/Kobe era. The real Shaq is showing through now though and I think many are realizing tha Kobe took a lot of unwarranted blame. Shaq has crapped on every team he has ever played for and will do so again with the Suns. None of us knows the real persons. We know what the media portrays. Some just buy into much easier than others.

That's not true. Phoenix were number one at the time and the Hornets were number 2 right before their 10 game winning streak.

adidas11
02-16-2009, 08:44 PM
People are conveniently forgetting the selfish bullshit that Kobe used to do with the Lakers back when Shaq was there. Shaq and the rest of the team just wanted him to play team ball, and Kobe stubbornly refused to do that.

He did it so much, that during the 2000-2001 season, Phil Jackson contemplated benching Kobe, even though he was one of the leading scorers in the league. The only reason he left him in was because he needed his defense on the perimeter.

Kobe was the source of friction for the entire team back then. Ask any of the old school players from that team (Horry, Horace Grant, Rick Fox, Ron Harper, AC Green, etc.), and they ALL sided with Shaq.

Lakers>Spurs
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
People are conveniently forgetting the selfish bullshit that Kobe used to do with the Lakers back when Shaq was there. Shaq and the rest of the team just wanted him to play team ball, and Kobe stubbornly refused to do that.

He did it so much, that during the 2000-2001 season, Phil Jackson contemplated benching Kobe, even though he was one of the leading scorers in the league. The only reason he left him in was because he needed his defense on the perimeter.

Kobe was the source of friction for the entire team back then. Ask any of the old school players from that team (Horry, Horace Grant, Rick Fox, Ron Harper, AC Green, etc.), and they ALL sided with Shaq.

:toast

FreeMason
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Shaq. You've made a lot of money in your career big fella.

Now it's time to stomp that asshole in L.A. once and for all. Hit him where it hurts the most Shaq.

Come to S.A. and send Kobe fishing! There is no better way to seek your revenge. A couple more years of Kobe not winning his ring and he will implode the Lakers AGAIN.

Lakers>Spurs
02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
If Shaq ever went to SA, I'd never root for him again.

And Cobb, quit Shaq hating.

Lakers>Spurs
02-16-2009, 09:25 PM
What a god damn beast he was in '00. First in points, second in boards, third in blocks:wow

adidas11
02-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Like Ive said before. Whe Shaq was leading the Lakers, we were getting swept out by Utah. When Kobe took over, the league became our toilet.

Actually, that's the Lakers were getting swept by Utah and San Antonio before Phil arrived, and after he arrived (and laid down the law that Shaq was the focal point of the offense), then the Lakers became unbeatable.

Lakers>Spurs
02-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Kobe didn't take over till the 04-05 season. That led LA to an 8th seed before he got hurt.

What happens if Bynum gets traded for Kidd? I guarantee Kobe would be walking this Summer.

Kobe flip-flops about as much as Shaq.

ElNono
02-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Like Ive said before. Whe Shaq was leading the Lakers, we were getting swept out by Utah. When Kobe took over, the league became our toilet.

You really mean Phil Jackson...

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 10:50 PM
The simple fact that Shaq demanded 30mil a year during a year when he knew the team had to sign Kobe says a lot about his character as well. Im not defending Kobe in any of this, but to say that Kobe was not a team player is rediculous!!! Shaq had the highest scoring average of any center in NBA finals history, and yet he still complained about touches.

Sounds like a certain "diva" wide receiver, who plays for the NFL's most visible franchise. He also behaves like a petulant child, as constantly complains about his touches too. He will also throw any teammate "under the bus" to do so.

jonnybravo
02-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Very similar circumstances.

Didn't know Magic ran out Riley. I thought they were tight to the end. I know they're still tight today. What the hell happened there?

I thought Horry left because he was being scapegoated for the poor year that he had. What kind of beef could Shaq have possibly had with Nick the Quick?

Don't forget Brian Shaw. I do remember he loudly requested the Fakers sign him from their days in Orlando.

As far as Horry, you guys are reading way too much into it.

For his entire tenure as the patriach of the Lakers, Buss never shied away from paying the stars but rarely would do the same to role players.

The moment it "appeared" HOrry was done, his ass $5/year ass was gone.

jonnybravo
02-16-2009, 11:40 PM
People conviently forget that the Lakers didnt win any titles with Shaq as the go to guy until Kobe became the assasin that led Shaq to become jealous and leave. Shaq played 3 seasons with LA and didnt sniff a title. Kobe takes over and they win three in a row. But just because you guys memory seem to be fuzzy, lets take a trip down memory lane with the Big Egomaniac!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaquille_O'Neal

Los Angeles Lakers
After the 1995–96 season, O'Neal left the Orlando Magic to join the Los Angeles Lakers after being enticed by a seven-year, $121 million contract. The announcement was made in Atlanta at the 1996 Summer Olympics.

O'Neal joined a young Laker squad that had recently returned to the playoffs, but of which little was expected. O'Neal's arrival vastly changed expectations, but he missed a significant number of games due to injury in the 1996-97 season and several players had difficulty meshing with the new focal point of the offense. By 1997–98, key role players Rick Fox and Robert Horry had been added by Laker GM Jerry West. This group meshed well and won 61 regular season games. However, in both of his first two seasons in Los Angeles, O'Neal suffered a lopsided play-off defeat by the Utah Jazz. The Lakers lost the 1997 conference semifinals 4-1 and 1998 conference finals 4-0.
During a shootaround prior to the season opener versus the Utah Jazz in 1997, O'Neal got into a spat with Utah center Greg Ostertag, slapping him and sending him tumbling to the floor. O'Neal was suspended for the incident. He did not play in the game, due to an abdominal injury.

The Lakers were clearly a team on the rise with the tandem of O'Neal and teenage superstar Kobe Bryant. However, the 1998–99 season was marked by nearly constant change within the Lakers. Long-time Lakers point guard Nick Van Exel was traded to the Denver Nuggets after a dispute with O'Neal. His former backcourt partner Eddie Jones was packaged with back-up center Elden Campbell for Glen Rice to satisfy a demand by O'Neal for a shooter. Coach Del Harris was fired and former Chicago Bulls forward Dennis Rodman was signed, but Rodman only lasted 23 games before leaving. The result was no better as the Lakers were swept by the San Antonio Spurs in the second round of the Western Conference playoffs. The Spurs would go on to win their first league title that year.

In 1999, the Lakers hired Phil Jackson as their new head coach, and the team's fortunes soon changed. Utilizing Jackson's triangle offense, O'Neal and Bryant went on to enjoy tremendous success on the court, as they led the Los Angeles Lakers to three consecutive NBA titles (2000, 2001, 2002). O'Neal was named MVP of the NBA Finals all three times and has the highest scoring average for a center in NBA Finals history.

O'Neal was also voted the 1999–2000 regular season Most Valuable Player, coming just one vote short of becoming the first unanimous MVP in NBA history. Fred Hickman, then of CNN, was the sole voter who did not cast his first place vote for O'Neal, instead choosing Allen Iverson, then of the Philadelphia 76ers. O'Neal also won the scoring title that year while finishing second in rebounds and third in blocked shots.

In the summer of 2001, holding a basketball camp on the campus of Louisiana State University, O'Neal was challenged by LSU alumnus and current Boston Celtics player Glen "Big Baby" Davis, then 15 years of age and attending high school, to a friendly wrestling match, in which O'Neal, weighing 350 lb (160 kg; 25 st), was lifted and body-slammed to the ground, leaving an impression on him.[6] In January 2002 he was involved in a spectacular on-court brawl in a game against the Chicago Bulls, punching center Brad Miller after an intentional foul to prevent a basket and resulting in a melee with Miller, forward Charles Oakley and several other players.[7] O'Neal was suspended for three games without pay and given a $15,000 fine.[8]

Shaquille O'Neal at the White House greeting President Bush with his fellow Lakers.After the Lakers fell to 5th seed and failed to reach the Finals in 2003, the team made a concerted off-season effort to improve its roster. They sought the free agent services of forward legend Karl Malone and aging guard Gary Payton, but due to salary cap restrictions, could not offer either one nearly as much money as he could have made with other teams. O'Neal assisted in the recruitment efforts and personally persuaded both men to join the team. Ultimately, each of them signed, forgoing larger salaries in favor of a chance to win an NBA championship, something neither had accomplished in his career (which neither would achieve with the Lakers). At the beginning of the 2003–04 season, with two years left on his contract at the time, O'Neal informed the team of his desire for a substantially larger extension to his contract. O'Neal remained persistently vocal about this desire, but Laker management was hesitant to meet his demands amid concerns about his work ethic, the possibility of further injuries, and a general decline in his game due to age. It is widely believed that there was also concern about O'Neal's relationship with Kobe Bryant, as the two had exchanged public barbs during the off-season. With Bryant scheduled to become a free agent at the end of that season, many believed he would not choose to remain with the Lakers as O'Neal's sidekick.

The Lakers did eventually offer O'Neal a large contract in February 2004 (according to the book Madmen's Ball by Mark Heisler) under which he would have unquestionably continued to remain the highest paid player in the league, but he reportedly refused after feeling his services were not needed.
After the Lakers' loss to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 NBA Finals, O'Neal was angered by comments made by Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak regarding O'Neal's future with the club, as well as by the departure of Lakers coach Phil Jackson at the request of Dr. Buss. O'Neal made comments indicating that he felt the team's decisions were centered on a desire to appease Bryant to the exclusion of all other concerns, and O'Neal promptly demanded a trade. The Dallas Mavericks and their team owner Mark Cuban were extremely interested in O'Neal and were willing to make a trade with the Lakers, but Kupchak wanted Dirk Nowitzki, the Mavs' superstar, in return. Cuban refused to let go of Nowitzki and the Lakers ended trade talks with Dallas. However, Miami showed interest and gradually a trade agreement was made.

The simple fact that Shaq demanded 30mil a year during a year when he knew the team had to sign Kobe says a lot about his character as well. Im not defending Kobe in any of this, but to say that Kobe was not a team player is rediculous!!! Shaq had the highest scoring average of any center in NBA finals history, and yet he still complained about touches.

Lalaluva - I have a feeling you followed the Lakers like me, which is WAY before the threepeat years. Unlike some people, my best years as a Lakers fan isn't relegated to listening to Shaq fellate himself. Makes me fucken sick actually. In fact, if you guys dig through Flea's blogs in regards to this current Lakers team...he feels exactly like I do. It has the spirit and joy that was missing from the 3-peat team and is VERY similar in that regard to the Magic crew I grew up watching.

cobbler
02-16-2009, 11:46 PM
If Shaq ever went to SA, I'd never root for him again.

And Cobb, quit Shaq hating.

I cannot stand the BIG HYPOCRITE...

Sorry

cobbler
02-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Lalaluva - I have a feeling you followed the Lakers like me, which is WAY before the threepeat years. Unlike some people, my best years as a Lakers fan isn't relegated to listening to Shaq fellate himself. Makes me fucken sick actually. In fact, if you guys dig through Flea's blogs in regards to this current Lakers team...he feels exactly like I do. It has the spirit and joy that was missing from the 3-peat team and is VERY similar in that regard to the Magic crew I grew up watching.

.... and go figure. This team that is really a joy to watch, who are always laughing and supporting each other, who you can see are having fun, has that malcontent non team player Kobe right smack in the middle laughing with them. Yet the "team guy" went on to Miami.... then trashed them when he got out of shape and demanded a trade just like he did his previous 2 teams before that. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm If it looks like, feels like, smells like...

IronMexican
02-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Neither Shaq or Kobe was/is a team guy. If either one were, they would still be on the same team, and one wouldn't be making max money.