PDA

View Full Version : FCC Decision Could Impact Some Spurs Fans

duncan228
02-16-2009, 03:18 PM
FCC decision could impact some Spurs fans (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2009/02/16/daily4.html)
San Antonio Business Journal
by W. Scott Bailey

The San Antonio Spurs say the team’s television broadcast partner, KMYS (My 35), has received permission from the Federal Communications Commission to terminate its analog signal effective Feb. 17 at 11:59 p.m.

That switch is a part of the planned digital television transition originally planned to take place on Feb. 17 but which has since been delayed until June 12. The decision could impact some Spurs fans’ ability to view games on KMYS.

The Spurs-New York Knicks game that evening will not be impacted. But Spurs officials say fans who are currently viewing games on that channel via an antenna or rabbit-ears will no longer be able to receive a television signal from KMYS after its Feb. 17 conversion.

“We hope our viewers will take the necessary steps to ensure they do not miss any Spurs action on KMYS,” says Spurs Executive Vice President of Corporate Partnership and Broadcasting Lawrence Payne.

Despite Congress voting to delay the DTV transition, numerous broadcasters have petitioned the FCC to grant them permission to end analog broadcasting on Feb. 17.

Viewers will need digital TV sets, digital converter boxes or a subscription to a service, such as satellite or cable, to continue to receive a signal once broadcasters switch from analog to digital.

KMYS is slated to broadcast 12 more Spurs games after Feb. 17. They include key Western Conference match-ups against Dallas and Portland.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 03:27 PM
It costs extra money to broadcast a dual signal, and I'm sure they only budgeted until the original turnover date this month. The independents would be hit much harder by this than network affiliates.

No matter when they do this, people are going to be left behind. I thought delaying the mandatory switch was a bad idea.

CubanMustGo
02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Anyone who didn't get their D/A converters after years of non-stop bombardment saying the conversion was happening this month deserves to lose their signal.

braeden0613
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Anyone who didn't get their D/A converters after years of non-stop bombardment saying the conversion was happening this month deserves to lose their signal.
No kidding...I've wanted to shoot the tv for months now

Dex
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I like how this article makes it sound like this is targetting the Spurs and their fans specifically. Anybody who doesn't update is gonna lose their shows, Spurs related or not.

No beer and no TV make Homer something something...