PDA

View Full Version : NFL, No Longer NBA, Haven For Thug Life

duncan228
02-16-2009, 03:30 PM
NFL, no longer NBA, haven for thug life (http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11385706)
By Mike Freeman
CBSSports.com National Columnist

PHOENIX -- As you spent time around NBA players this weekend there was an inescapable conclusion: These are a bunch of really good guys.

As you read about yet another NFL player getting busted by the police, see Buffalo's Marshawn Lynch charged with carrying a concealed weapon in a car, you again believe a conclusion reached some time ago: the NFL continues to be goon-filled.

Professional basketball was once (mostly wrongly) considered the epicenter for the Thug Life. Now, the NFL is (mostly correctly) viewed as Bone Thugs-N-Harmony 2.0.

The NFL is now the TFL: Thug Football League, and the NBA is now the NBA: Nerd Basketball Association.

The NFL and NBA have switched personas and stereotypes. Finally, after years of being allowed a major pass for the violent acts of its players, football is being held more accountable by the media and fans, and the ugly acts being constantly perpetrated by its players are beginning to stick.

The NBA is different. As the Allen Iversons and Ron Artests fade into Bolivian, as Mike Tyson would say, the new NBA is being overrun by smart, PR-conscious athletes with fewer and fewer blemishes. Dwight Howard is arguably the league's most popular player not named LeBron or Kobe. He's a 6-foot-11 geek and good dude whose primary goal seems to be to make fans enjoy themselves.

The day there's a warrant out for Chris Paul's arrest is the day someone proves the moon landing was faked.

On and on I could go. Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Yao Ming and dozens of other NBA players are the type of people women could bring home to mom. Meanwhile, NFL players are busy kidnapping moms.

Even former NBA players have revamped their images while football players destroy theirs. Magic Johnson went from a player who acquired HIV through an alleged promiscuous lifestyle into a successful businessman heroically fighting the disease.

And does anyone even remember that Kobe Bryant was once accused of a vicious rape?

James is one of the most scrutinized athletes on the planet and the worst you can say about him is that he doesn't take strong stances on practically any matter. If that's the ugliest remark that can be said about James, he's doing pretty well.

This isn't to say that NBA players are perfect. That would be foolish. So would stating there are no good guys in professional football. Of course there are.

But the TFL continues to embarrass itself. From Plaxico "Gunsmoke" Burress to Pacman "Crimetime" Jones. Recently, Pittsburgh kicker Jeff Reed was cited for disorderly conduct and criminal mischief after teaching a gas station towel dispenser who was boss. The best receiver in the sport, Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald, was accused of domestic violence.

The examples are plentiful and recent and it takes just five minutes on the Internet to compile a list with the aid of various websites. Buffalo's Ko Simpson was accused of hindering police as they tried to make an arrest. San Diego's Vincent Jackson was arrested yet again for suspicion of DUI. Dallas player Anthony Spencer was arrested on a charge of public intoxication and disorderly conduct. Jonathan Vilma of New Orleans was arrested on a charge of reckless driving and resisting arrest. Those arrests came just a handful of days into the month of January.

But wait.

There's more.

Pittsburgh tight end Jonathan Dekker was arrested on a charge of obstruction of justice. Seattle linebacker Leroy Hill was arrested on a charge of marijuana possession after police found him asleep behind the wheel of a car. Kansas City tight end Michael Merritt was arrested on suspicion of marijuana possession.

There was a time when players were scared of commissioner Roger Goodell. That time has clearly elapsed. They're no longer listening to Goodell's pleas to conduct their personal lives in a more professional manner or fear his once epic beat downs of offending asses.

The accusation against Lynch is typical of some TFL players. We all make mistakes, but many of these guys make repeated and serious ones, never learning from their original screw up. Lynch is lucky he even has an NFL career. He was accused of hit-and-run last year and gutlessly took his time admitting that he was behind the wheel of a car that struck a Canadian woman.

After an incident in which he could've killed someone, does Lynch keep his head low and his gonads out of the vice? Nope. He allegedly packs a concealed weapon and is busted by police.

And you know what? I think fans -- finally -- are tiring of the stupidity and the antics. It has taken awhile but fans are finally getting fed up and caring about more than the impact of a player's arrest on his fantasy value.

The new NFL is the old NBA and the new NBA is the old NFL.

Or should I say, TFL.

Red Hawk #21
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Thug Life!! TFL lol

j-money24
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
thug life motherfucker lol

Spur-Addict
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
NFL, no longer NBA, haven for thug life (http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11385706)
By Mike Freeman
CBSSports.com National Columnist

PHOENIX -- As you spent time around NBA players this weekend there was an inescapable conclusion: These are a bunch of really good guys.

And does anyone even remember that Kobe Bryant was once accused of a vicious rape?

Yes, yes people do remember.

Borosai
02-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm sure the NBA would have just as many "thugs" if they had larger rosters.

I must say I am really disappointed in Lynch. He's such a positive presence on the field, but he's fucking up as much as anyone off the field (well, almost). Two offseasons, two incidences: not good.

IronMexican
02-16-2009, 03:51 PM
ThUg LyF3

mavs>spurs2
02-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Kobe didn't rape anyone it was all bullshit

PM5K
02-16-2009, 04:28 PM
You have to give players credit for understanding that having a clean image is going to generate them an incredible amount of income from sponsors.

Look at the sponsorships that Chris Brown and Michael Phelps lost as an example of what I mean.

At the same time I think the dress code change by Stern helped change the perception of NBA players, even if it wasn't totally correct.

lefty
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Kobe didn't rape anyone it was all bullshit

He raped the Knicks recently

duncan228
02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
At the same time I think the dress code change by Stern helped change the perception of NBA players, even if it wasn't totally correct.

I agree. I think the players look great now, and the image they project is much different since they began to dress up a little.

IronMexican
02-16-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't get the dress code. Dress however you want. I wont see Kobe with a grill in his mouth and suddenly want one.

gaKNOW!blee
02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Plenty of people carry guns, not just thugs.

SpursDynasty
02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I think the fact that so many NBA players behave actually hurts the league in a competitive standpoint.

From a marketing standpoint I guess it will work for players not to have that edge.

But who wants to watch a game where players behave classy? We want a playoff series where players talk trash and get into confrontations. If LeBron played with some edge he might not go out against Kobe and go 5-for-20 from the floor.

IronMexican
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
SD, accept my friend request.

manufor3
02-16-2009, 05:54 PM

yes

Biggems
02-16-2009, 08:33 PM
i guess the author missed Jason Richardson and Rafer Alston

m33p0
02-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Eddy Curry.

TDMVPDPOY
02-17-2009, 10:33 AM
sarcasm hahaha vicious hahahaa

mogrovejo
02-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I agree. I think the players look great now, and the image they project is much different since they began to dress up a little.

Also agreed.

Gary Payton called it a racist maneuver, but it's proved to be a good move.

---

I don't follow the NFL, but the NBA image in this regards has improved somewhat. There are plenty of high-character players and more guys giving back to their communities. For example, the first year All-Stars: Granger is awesome, a philanthropist with an amazing personal story, but kids like Nelson, Williams and Harris are also decent.