PDA

View Full Version : when did the NBA become so corny?..

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I love the NBA, obviously..but what a disgusting all-star weekend..the marketing is killing this league..when did the NBA become so corny?..

all weekend, we had Kobe and Shaq shoved down our throats..are we supposed to believe this fake act they both put on? NOT EVEN A YEAR AGO, Shaq randomly comes up with a rap insulting Kobe, and asking him to taste his ass..then all of a sudden, they're friends? are we supposed to believe these guys don't hate each other? it was corny as hell..this isn't Full House, this is the NBA..

Kobe clearly goes out of his way to win the MVP..anybody that watched can agree..but seriously, shoved down our throats..and what a coincidence, they get co-MVPs..LOL..

the dunk contest is full of gimmicks, and rigged judges, considering how they rated Dwight Howard from the beginning..then of course the marketing whore Lebron James has to take over it all by telling us he'll be in it next year..

obviously a few weeks ago they shoved the Lebron vs. Kobe matchup down our throats..I don't mind that, since they're great players, but the halftime show was fake as hell, with horrible jokes and acting..

they shove 4 players down our throats..Kobe is an alleged rapist that throws his teammates under the bus, Lebron is a marketing whore that shits on charitable efforts from guys like Marbury, Wade allegedly has STDs and throws sex orgies, and Dwight Howard puts on a fake Christian act and impregnates random cheerleaders out out of wedlock..

it's annoying to watch any national NBA broadcast and have to hear all this shit..led by annoying, biased announcers, like Reggie Miller, Doug Collins and Mark Jackson..

being a Spurs fan, I'm used to real opinions..everybody knows how Pop reacts to the media, and just last week, we had a very honest interview from Tony, as usual..

when did the NBA become so fake and corny?..it really seems like people are acting nowadays..

lefty
02-16-2009, 04:36 PM

(When Stern took over as commish)

xtremesteven33
02-16-2009, 04:38 PM
:worthy:

SenorSpur
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
It defintely over-hyped, over-marketed and has way too many forced gimmicks. To me, it's become a speed-bump level interruption to the NBA season. Makes me puke, which is why I don't watch it.

Tully365
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd rather just see Janet Jackson's nipple again, to be perfectly honest.

NRHector
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
David Stern just became a three ring circus MC.:flag:

Tully365
02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
charitable efforts from guys like Marbury

:lol It's easy to be generous when you are being paid 20 million dollars to do nothing.

urunobili
02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
LeBron will do the dunk contest next year because he is an attention whore... and because it'll be at the new cowboys stadium...

baseline bum
02-16-2009, 04:46 PM
That "for the children" halftime show made me want to puke my fucking guts out. Why can't anyone be a man and get up and say 'fuck the kids!' ?

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
seriously though..watch all-star games in the 90's, and the early 2000's..it was different..as the years go by, it has become clear that Stern is trying to cash in on the "Jordan era"..he's trying to make new Jordans in Wade, Lebron, and Kobe..he's trying to make a new Shaq in Dwight Howard..

in the 90's, the all-star games were more competitive, and they weren't such a show..the reason being that Jordan was the only guy receiving this hype..we didn't hear the same about Hakeem, Malone, Ewing, Admiral and the other legends that were playing at the time..today's NBA is completely centered around a few individuals and their teams..

the early 2000's were different as well..we had guys like Vince Carter and T-Mac that actually put on shows on the court in these all-star games, instead of being media whores..the NBA was staying away from Kobe after the Colorado incident..it really started changing when Lebron started making the teams, and Wade became a superstar in 2006..it's all marketing and whoring out to the media now..

NRHector
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
That "for the children" halftime show made me want to puke my fucking guts out. Why can't anyone be a man and get up and say 'fuck the kids!' ?hey come on now I have kids

Tully365
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
C'mon now-- Lebron is a great young player and deserves the attention. When he didn't participate in the dunk contest, lots of people said he was scared, or selfish... but now he's an attention whore for agreeing to participate? I don't think that's a fair way to look at it. Millions of fans have wanted to see him in the contest since he was 19.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
it has nothing to do with kids..the NBA should do stuff for kids, obviously..but really, do you want your kids growing up, looking up to rapists and media whores?..

z0sa
how come you even put ".." after a question mark?

On the actual subject: it's because the NBA is a business. They want entertainment, not substance.

HarlemHeat37
C'mon now-- Lebron is a great young player and deserves the attention. When he didn't participate in the dunk contest, lots of people said he was scared, or selfish... but now he's an attention whore for agreeing to participate? I don't think that's a fair way to look at it. Millions of fans have wanted to see him in the contest since he was 19.

so you're saying Lebron couldn't have waited to make the announcement, instead of doing it DURING the actual dunk contest? come on now..

I realize he was asked about it, but it was obviously planned, just like everything else at these events nowadays..

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I love the NBA, obviously..but what a disgusting all-star weekend..the marketing is killing this league..when did the NBA become so corny?..

all weekend, we had Kobe and Shaq shoved down our throats..are we supposed to believe this fake act they both put on? NOT EVEN A YEAR AGO, Shaq randomly comes up with a rap insulting Kobe, and asking him to taste his ass..then all of a sudden, they're friends? are we supposed to believe these guys don't hate each other? it was corny as hell..this isn't Full House, this is the NBA..

Kobe clearly goes out of his way to win the MVP..anybody that watched can agree..but seriously, shoved down our throats..and what a coincidence, they get co-MVPs..LOL..

the dunk contest is full of gimmicks, and rigged judges, considering how they rated Dwight Howard from the beginning..then of course the marketing whore Lebron James has to take over it all by telling us he'll be in it next year..

obviously a few weeks ago they shoved the Lebron vs. Kobe matchup down our throats..I don't mind that, since they're great players, but the halftime show was fake as hell, with horrible jokes and acting..

they shove 4 players down our throats..Kobe is an alleged rapist that throws his teammates under the bus, Lebron is a marketing whore that shits on charitable efforts from guys like Marbury, Wade allegedly has STDs and throws sex orgies, and Dwight Howard puts on a fake Christian act and impregnates random cheerleaders out out of wedlock..

it's annoying to watch any national NBA broadcast and have to hear all this shit..led by annoying, biased announcers, like Reggie Miller, Doug Collins and Mark Jackson..

being a Spurs fan, I'm used to real opinions..everybody knows how Pop reacts to the media, and just last week, we had a very honest interview from Tony, as usual..

when did the NBA become so fake and corny?..it really seems like people are acting nowadays..

Couldn't agree with you more. It's gotten so lame. Especially all the Saturday stuff. The dunk contest has gotten so scripted and ridiculous. The 3pt shootout as a contest is okay, but it lacks the star power to get fans excited. The shooting stars contest is, well, the shooting stars contest. The skills competition just doesn't make for good TV because the way to win it is to just take your time and relax, which on TV makes it look like you're not in a hurry or trying all that hard. The rookie-sophmore game is cool for about 10 minutes, but those players are usually too young to figure out how to put on the all-star show. So that just leaves the game itself, which if we're lucky will have a competitive 4th quarter every other year.

Spork KIller
02-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Spurm fans are pathetic...damn your team is so Boooriiing!!

lefty
02-16-2009, 04:55 PM

You know what's not boring?

Winning championships :lobt2:

Tully365
02-16-2009, 04:55 PM
so you're saying Lebron couldn't have waited to make the announcement, instead of doing it DURING the actual dunk contest? come on now..

I realize he was asked about it, but it was obviously planned, just like everything else at these events nowadays..

You have a point, but to be honest I think it all started with Jordan, who made lots of money encouraging kids to eat junk food and spend lots of their parents' money on extravagantly priced Nikes... To me, that's where the marketing aspect of the NBA really started to go crazy.

Spork KIller
02-16-2009, 04:56 PM
You know what's not boring?

Winning championships :lobt2:

:lol Not anymore....thats it

no more fluke titles for you bitches!

Tully365
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Geez Spork killer, get a new act. It's sooo tired. We get it: you hate the Spurs. Now go ask mommy for some more ritalin and try to stay on topic.

lefty
02-16-2009, 05:01 PM
:lol Not anymore....thats it

no more fluke titles for you bitches!

You know what's entertaining?

Watching the Suns house falling apart

kace
02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
look at the recap video on NBA.com and all you'll see will be KB and LBJ, with a little bit of Shaq. hell there was more than 20 great players on the court and all you got is LBJ and KB.

not even great plays, but some classic J's that are only in the video because KB or LBJ have made them.

EDIT: and not even one of the two alley-oops that tony threw to Roy and CP3 in the ASG TOP 10.

that's why it's so sweet to be a spurs fan. when come the PO, no one can ignore us anymore even if they would.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2009, 05:11 PM
honestly though..at least when Michael was being marketed heavily, he was winning championships..they put on fake-ass halftime shows and all-star game bullshit shows with Kobe and Lebron reading off a script, when neither of these guys have ever won anything as #1 options..what the fuck are they marketing? one guy shits on his teammates when they don't satisfy him, while the other guy is heavily protected by refs, and can't even make a consistent jumper..that's some nice marketing..

this league is heavily behind the NFL, and it's no surprise..this league is even behind the MLB, a league full of cheaters and lies..

stop shoving players down our throats..stop shoving fakeness down our throats..stop shoving guys that represent everything bad with society..

Spork KIller
02-16-2009, 05:13 PM
honestly though..at least when Michael was being marketed heavily, he was winning championships..they put on fake-ass halftime shows and all-star game bullshit shows with Kobe and Lebron reading off a script, when neither of these guys have ever won anything as #1 options..

this league is heavily behind the NFL, and it's no surprise..this league is even behind the MLB, a league full of cheaters and lies..

Ironic, talking about cheaters?

hahaha :lol

If 2007 rings a bell just ask your own pathetic team.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Ironic, talking about cheaters?

hahaha :lol

If 2007 rings a bell just ask your own pathetic team.

wait..you mean David Stern making a decision based on a RULE that was set in stone? OMG!!..what a cheater!!..

maybe if Amare Stoudemire had a higher IQ than my testicles, he would have known there was a rule LOL..

Spork KIller
02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
wait..you mean David Stern making a decision based on a RULE that was set in stone? OMG!!..what a cheater!!..

maybe if Amare Stoudemire had a higher IQ than my testicles, he would have known there was a rule LOL..

Well, maybe if Tim Donaghy wasn't reffing Game 3 :lol

tp2021
02-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I like All-star weekend. Even the celebrity game. Why, I can't say, because I don't exactly know...

02-16-2009, 05:23 PM
reminds me more and more of the WWE. these story lines are getting riddiculous. first they shove boston vs. lakers rivalry down our throats even though the majority of NBA fans don't even remember the original rivalry. the last time boston and lakers met in the finals before 2008, i was just learning how to freakin talk. these lakers and celtics team members probably don't even remember the rivalry either. so the NBA hypes up all this animosity between two teams that are playing against each other in the finals for the FIRST time. that's not a rivalry, just crazy marketing.

then they bring out dwight howard to replace shaq. tried to prop up howard through rigging the slam dunk contest, which he still lost due to fan voting. when shaq shows that he's irreplaceable, they go back to a shaq and kobe lovefest. and then during the all star game, all the media could show were james and bryant images.

SpursDynasty
02-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Good post....I have been very upset with the league this year. Not only is the on-the-court talent deteriorating, but Kobe and LeBron and Dwight being shoved down our throats is getting old. On ESPN they were discussing how Shaq has been the main personality/fun/etc. of the league all this time and since he'll be on the way out soon, they are predicting that Dwight Howard will be the next guy to fill that personality element of the NBA. Dark days are ahead for this league.

With the fall of the entertainment factor of the league (Phoenix), the shoving down our throats of Kobe/Lebron yet the inability of either player to win a championship, players being boneheads off the court (Josh Howard/Jason Richardson), a player being in the ASG for 11 minutes and winning the ASG MVP award (as stated, it was all to help add to the Kobe/Shaq reunion fluff), I wouldn't be surprised to see this league fold before too long.

honestfool84
02-16-2009, 05:39 PM
as much as i agree with the original poster, and hate how the league has deteriorated since jordan retired, i could care less as long as the spurs keep winning rings.

Mr Bones
02-16-2009, 06:03 PM

:lol maybe his own assistant coaches trying to hold him back should've given him a hint that what he was doing was wrong!

Dex
02-16-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20090215/ESTWST/recap.html

Read the AP writeup.

70% of the article about the ALL-STAR GAME is about Shaq and Kobe's little MVP moment. Then there is some brief mention in the end about the 20-something superstars that played and what actually happened in the game.

I wouldn't expect Tim and Tony to get much mentioned from NBA.com anyways, but instead of an objective breakdown of the game, you get this unadulterated drivel? About an outcome which only made a mockery of the voting process in the first place?

Methinks somebody is seeing too many dollar signs.

jonnybravo
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I rather just see Janet Jackson's nipple again, to be perfectly honest.

I'll pass on those flapjacks.

ginomvp
02-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, maybe if Tim Donaghy wasn't reffing Game 3 :lol
you are just another typical classless suns fan. of course i don't blame you for disliking the spurs since they beat the suns easily every year that they play them in the playoffs. but dude show a little class because you just make every suns fan look bad with your constant hate and ignorance.

daslicer
02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Has anybody ever heard the term jumped the shark? Its a term used for TV sitcoms when the sitcom goes way off tangent due to running out of ideas that they drastically alter the show completely to the point where it loses all of its credibility. To me the NBA jumped the shark the moment they joined with ABC. The marketing along with the product has been pretty shitty since that transitioned occured. I just think the NBA has run out of ideas and thats why you see these stupid storylines shoved down their throat. STern is not good at marketing and relies on the Jordan marketing model which is hype up 1 player to carry the league and nobody else. Right now Lebron and Kobe are both getting equaly hype but I get the vibe in a few years it will be Lebron's league and even Kobe will be kicked to curve which is the only positive to look forward to lol. Unforutnately this model is crap and only works when you have a once in a life time p layer like MJ. The NBA needs to copy the NFL when it comes to marketing and just hype up winning teams over a long period of time.

The NBA marketing department is crap I pray one day somehow people are forced to watch a Portland vs Milwaukee finals. That type of scenario would expose how shitty the marketing department is. LOL at the thought of seeing Stephen A bitching about having to go to Portland and Milwaukee.

raspsa
02-16-2009, 08:05 PM
I found it funny that all the commentators were saying that Howard dunked on a 12-ft rim.. Iy looked like 11 feet to me watching from half way around the world.. sad that they can't even be straight about simple facts and even sadder that audiences seem to just lap it up..

LakerHater
02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
:wrongf

Spursfan092120
02-16-2009, 09:35 PM
I rather just see Janet Jackson's nipple again, to be perfectly honest.

:lmao:lmao:lmao
Myself, my wife, my brother in law, and my dog laughed at that...that was priceless...

Spursfan092120
02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I found it funny that all the commentators were saying that Howard dunked on a 12-ft rim.. Iy looked like 11 feet to me watching from half way around the world.. sad that they can't even be straight about simple facts and even sadder that audiences seem to just lap it up..

hmm...looked like 12 foot to me.

exstatic
02-16-2009, 10:01 PM
2000, in answer to the OP. 1998 was MJ's last ASG, and there wasn't one in 1999, so 2000 is the cutoff for me.

calaway
02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
:tu

superbigtime
02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
I love the NBA...but just the part played on the court. The over-hyped matchups have reach the point of being ridiculous. It seems that Chris Paul is the voice and face of the NBA's marketing machine because he's fairly clean cut and speaks well, but I'm not a fans of his personally. So many of these guys look like gangbangers or prisoners, like the entire Denver team. I'm just fortunate to be a Spurs fan. I am very sick of the refs, the LA-Boston overhyped rivalry and the idiotic analysts. I don't know how the less successful small market teams have any fans at all.

I would not want to watch the NBA AllStar weekend with my Father (What's the matter with these people son?) or my kids. It's best to just stick with Spurs games.

One additional gripe...what's with all the props Dwight Howard used in the Dunk Contest?

raspsa
02-16-2009, 10:48 PM
hmm...looked like 12 foot to me.

looked like 11 feet to me.. also read on another forum that people thought it was 11 feet.. can anyone who actually attended the game give their input please?

MacGyver
02-17-2009, 05:13 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20090215/ESTWST/recap.html

Read the AP writeup.

70% of the article about the ALL-STAR GAME is about Shaq and Kobe's little MVP moment. Then there is some brief mention in the end about the 20-something superstars that played and what actually happened in the game.

I wouldn't expect Tim and Tony to get much mentioned from NBA.com anyways, but instead of an objective breakdown of the game, you get this unadulterated drivel? About an outcome which only made a mockery of the voting process in the first place?

Methinks somebody is seeing too many dollar signs.

Mentioned

20x O'Neal
13x Bryant
3x Paul
2x Amare, LeBron
1x Howard, Pierce, Wade, Paul, Roy, Gasol, Parker

:blah

703 Spurz
02-17-2009, 10:51 AM

So don't watch it, like me.

703 Spurz
02-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Still no girlfriend huh?

LockBeard
02-17-2009, 11:01 AM
ESPN is a cancer on Sports.

afireinside20
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Yup the whole KB and LBJ thing is getting really old already. As are the Shaq and other NBA players being seen as good guys. Fuck them!! Tim Duncan and Tony Parker in my opinion are the epitome of class in the league. As are the Spurs team, they play true team ball, not like some gay ass team in LA that get all the hype.:lol