PDA

View Full Version : Post-All Star Break predictions

SpursDynasty
02-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I'll be putting some predictions here for the top 9 West teams as well as Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando.

The Western Conference

1. Lakers (42-10) - These guys have been fake all season long. I don't know what it is, but this team just doesn't have it but continues to win games due to the officiating, much like the 2006-2007 Mavs who won 67. I think much of the league is suffering from a pre-concieved notion that they can't compete with the Lakers, so when the game time comes, they simply don't try. It won't last much longer. They are not that good defensively, they are 20th in the league in points allowed per game. The reason they are winning games is because they are 1st in the league in points scored per game. But what happens if some of those shots don't go down? With exactly 30 games to go, I would expect about a 15-15 record the rest of way, leaving them at 57-25, same record as last year. Again, if teams would actually show up and stop playing Mickey Mouse Basketball against the Lakers, these clowns wouldn't be 42-10. No team with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum as their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers will ever win a championship.

2. Spurs (35-16) - We are 2 games ahead of where we were at this same point in our last championship season...we were 33-18 in 2007 and everyone here said we were done and look what happened. If any other team were 35-16 people would be crowning them the next NBA champions. But for the Spurs to be 35-16, we are just doing what we're supposed to do, fly under the radar all year while other teams run up the score to get 60 wins, and injure their starting center over a layup vs. the Grizzlies. 31 games to go, 25-6 the rest of the way, 60-22 final record.

3. Denver (36-17) - Here's where irrelevance starts to kick in as far as the West playoff picture goes. I have a hard time seeing why this Denver team should finish with anything better than a 49-33 record. That means 13-16 the rest of the way. I think having to be Carmelo Anthony's teammate is the worst thing that could have happened to Chauncey Billups' career. This team had 2 All-Star starters in 2008 and the Defensive Player of the Year and look where all that got them. I don't really care for this team as this is about as irrelevant as any 3rd place team in pro sports history can get.

4. Portland (32-20) - First of all, Brandon Roy being selected an All-Star is a big indicator that the league lacks depth and talent. If this were the 90's NBA, no way Brandon Roy would be an All-Star. He wouldn't even be a player or a bench player. Brandon Roy would have been lucky to even be a water boy if today's NBA was like the 90's. Greg Oden? Enough said. LaMarcus Aldridge wants to talk about not being soft, then goes out and averages 9 points and 5 rebounds a game. How about Joel Pryzbilla....this guy tries to stand up to Tyson Chandler, then has his grandma write a letter to the league because Chandler was bullying him. I thought a scrub like Rajon Rondo shoving Kobe as if he's actually a significant player was the league's low point until I remembered this. 30 games to go, 16-14 the rest of the way, 48-34 finish.

5. Houston (32-21) - I don't know which team is in worse shape, these guys or Phoenix. Why don't they just dissolve this franchise, and let the league absorb the players into their rosters? In the process, T-Mac should be banned from the NBA. That guy is a disgrace to professional basketball. And to think this team actually won 22 straight last year. Biggest fluke in the history of mankind. I don't care where this team finishes, they could lose the rest of the regular season and I wouldn't be surprised. A 7'6" center who can probably get any shot he wanted, yet you have McGrady, Artest, and Rafer Alston, shooting percentages of 38.8%, 38.8% and 37.1%, playing more minutes per game than Yao. Not THE worst team in the NBA but probably the stupidest.

6. New Orleans (30-20) - I'm sure everyone, as well as myself, had high expectations for this team at the beginning of the year. But then they went out and played 50 games and showed everyone that last year was a fluke. These guys are a full 5 games behind where they were last year (35-15). They'd have to go 26-6 just to tie last year's record. It's not happening. 21-12 the rest of the way, 51-31 final record. Not much else to say other than this team was indeed a fluke.

7. Dallas (31-21) - I still can't see how this team got to the Finals in 2006 and won 67 games the next year. Dirk, Howard, Terry, and Dampier are the same core from those years...Another team quickly heading down the drain. Why they haven't tried to move Dirk is beyond me. This isn't 2007 and he's not the MVP anymore. And he'll never lead this Dallas team to a championship. Just because he got a couple of shit shots to go down from 2005-2007, doesn't mean he's untouchable. They can trade him for perhaps another All-Star caliber player and make a playoff run. Oh well, I guess Cuban wants another 50-32 year. How about a first round playoff matchup with the Spurs, just for entertainment?

8. Utah (30-23) - Without all the injuries, this is a 42-11 team. Not much else to say other than this is one team that I can see that isn't afraid of the Lakers. They'll be in the playoffs, and L.A. better hope they don't run into these guys in the first round. 49-33 final record only because of the slow start.

9. Phoenix (28-23) - It's sad to see what has happened to this franchise as a whole. But I think the disappointment comes from unrealistic expectations. There's no way that this franchise was ever capable of winning a championship, except for 2006 when they faced a soft Dallas team in the WCF's. Unfortunately for them, Amare was out that year. From 2004-2008, this was a fun team to watch, but I don't know what the hell people were thinking when saying that this team could ever win a championship. It simply was never going to happen. They could still have D'Antoni as coach, and the lineup of Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, and Boris Diaw, and they still wouldn't have won a championship. This team suffers from what Dallas suffered from: Hitting a couple of shit shots at the right times, therefore thinking they could actually win a championship. Oh well. They need to trade Nash and Amare, rebuild the franchise and tank out the rest of the season, come back in about five years for another shot. As for this year, don't be shocked if they finish below .500.

The Eastern Conference

1. Boston Celtics (44-11) - These guys had it all. A 66-16 season the year before, the NBA Championship, and a 27-2 start to this season. Then they went out and played shit basketball for the Lakers and it's pretty much been over since then. 17-9 since starting 27-2? I don't know about these guys anymore. As solid as a team can be in the NBA but the fact that they let a scrub Laker team beat them twice raises some suspicion about whether or not their 2008 championship was indeed a fluke. You let Pau Gasol average 22 points a game in two meetings and you have no business being called elite anymore. Sorry Boston. Will finish 61-21 only because of a fast start to the season.

2. Cleveland (40-11) - Again, another team that shouldn't be referred to as elite. This is probably the worst 40-11 team in NBA history. Someone tell me why LeBron is an MVP candidate, because I just don't see it. He has repeatedly had brickfests against the teams that matter. 5-for-20 from the floor against the last game against the Lakers. Mo Williams an All-Star? Please. It took two All-Stars getting injured in order for him to make it. 17.6 PPG, but only on 47% shooting...he's not balanced enough: 3.3 rebounds and 4.1 assists...not All-Star numbers. In fact, his All-Star selection and 17.6 points are flukes. Why was getting selected to the ASG so important for him anyways? It's not like anyone knows who he is. I'll mention it here since there's no where else to mention it, but why was Danny Granger an All-Star this year? Why waste time with him? He played 10 minutes in the ASG and took one shot and scored 2 points. Further evidence that the league is in need of more talent. Cleveland's final record: 55-27

3. Orlando (38-13) - These guys wanted to go around acting like they are badasses, and then Jameer Nelson ends his season over trying to grab a rebound away from Erick Dampier. Fail. 54-28 final record. As for Dwight Howard, what happened to winning the dunk contest? :lol

Xylus
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
The Suns are...making............the.....................

I can't finish that sentence.

IronMexican
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Only 25-6? I really don't see SA losing another game this season.

lil_penny
02-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Excellent!

Ghazi
02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
:clap:

djohn2oo8
02-16-2009, 08:14 PM
How can anything be predicted with the presence of injuries?

ElNono
02-16-2009, 08:23 PM
:bking

Jess
02-16-2009, 08:25 PM
L.A., Denver, and Portland going .500 the rest of the way is a Spurs fan pipedream.

BlackSwordsMan
02-16-2009, 08:50 PM
lol

Girasuck
02-16-2009, 09:28 PM
8. Utah (30-23) - Without all the injuries, this is a 42-11 team. Not much else to say other than this is one team that I can see that isn't afraid of the Lakers. They'll be in the playoffs, and L.A. better hope they don't run into these guys in the first round. 49-33 final record only because of the slow start.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

BRHornet45
02-16-2009, 09:36 PM
son how in the hell can you say that New Orleans was a fluke? I can understand you saying that they are not as good as they were last year AT THIS POINT, but are you serious? a fluke??? do you have any idea how many injuries the Hornets have had this year? yet they are still only 5 games behind where they were last year....... they will still win 52+ games and will be higher than the 6th seed.

layupdrill
02-16-2009, 09:48 PM
L.A., Denver, and Portland going .500 the rest of the way is a Spurs fan pipedream.

I thought I was the only one who saw that

ElNono
02-16-2009, 09:56 PM
son how in the hell can you say that New Orleans was a fluke? I can understand you saying that they are not as good as they were last year AT THIS POINT, but are you serious? a fluke??? do you have any idea how many injuries the Hornets have had this year? yet they are still only 5 games behind where they were last year....... they will still win 52+ games and will be higher than the 6th seed.

I remember the times David West was a contributor, not a cancer... I mean, West's injury was actually a blessing!!!

BRHornet45
02-16-2009, 10:01 PM
I remember the times David West was a contributor, not a cancer... I mean, West's injury was actually a blessing!!!

LOL I can't argue with that son!

djohn2oo8
02-16-2009, 10:13 PM

Because with one injury to Chris Paul :nutkick:

and their offense falls to shit

Lakers999
02-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I'll be putting some predictions here for the top 9 West teams as well as Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando.

The Western Conference

1. Lakers (42-10) - These guys have been fake all season long. I don't know what it is, but this team just doesn't have it but continues to win games due to the officiating, much like the 2006-2007 Mavs who won 67. I think much of the league is suffering from a pre-concieved notion that they can't compete with the Lakers, so when the game time comes, they simply don't try. It won't last much longer. They are not that good defensively, they are 20th in the league in points allowed per game. The reason they are winning games is because they are 1st in the league in points scored per game. But what happens if some of those shots don't go down? With exactly 30 games to go, I would expect about a 15-15 record the rest of way, leaving them at 57-25, same record as last year. Again, if teams would actually show up and stop playing Mickey Mouse Basketball against the Lakers, these clowns wouldn't be 42-10. No team with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum as their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers will ever win a championship.

your write up is complete shit. I can just feel the hate steaming out of your ears.. I can see the green jealousy in your eyes, and I can hear the bitter saddness coming out of your trap knowing the fear that your spurs will get eliminated by the lakers....AGAIN!!! the lakers have done a good job rebuilding around kobe with the best front court in the league. this is the only team in the league right now that can turn it up in the fourth quarter while being down by 10. they have great team chemistry and prolly the best bench in the league... ya you can go on the notion that defense wins championships but the lakers offense can break down pretty much any team defense... and they themselves can turn the defense on whenever they feel compelled to.

All I see right now is that you hate kobe, you hate the lakers, or you hate the city of LA and you just may hate the fans... in the end... after all this shit I read thats exactly what you are... a PURE HATER nothing more nothing less..

Ghazi
02-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Nuggets, Spurs, Lakers, Mavs, Jazz, and Blazers/Rockets/Cavs/Magic have had worse injuries than the Hornets. :king

ElNono
02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
your write up is complete shit. I can just feel the hate steaming out of your ears.. I can see the green jealousy in your eyes, and I can hear the bitter saddness coming out of your trap knowing the fear that your spurs will get eliminated by the lakers....AGAIN!!! the lakers have done a good job rebuilding around kobe with the best front court in the league. this is the only team in the league right now that can turn it up in the fourth quarter while being down by 10. they have great team chemistry and prolly the best bench in the league... ya you can go on the notion that defense wins championships but the lakers offense can break down pretty much any team defense... and they themselves can turn the defense on whenever they feel compelled to.

All I see right now is that you hate kobe, you hate the lakers, or you hate the city of LA and you just may hate the fans... in the end... after all this shit I read thats exactly what you are... a PURE HATER nothing more nothing less..

Didn't we hear all this back in '04? Anyways, he's just hating the team he's supposed to hate. No surprises there.

Lakers>Spurs
02-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Didn't we hear all this back in '04? Anyways, he's just hating the team he's supposed to hate. No surprises there.

Gold job going back 5 years.

ElNono
02-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Gold job going back 5 years.

That would be 2 years less than the last time the Lakers won a NBA championship. I would have loved to quote 2007, but Kobe and Phil were getting their asses handed to them by the Phoenix Suns in the first round...

Lakers>Spurs
02-16-2009, 10:57 PM
And how does that 2004 team even resemble this 09 team? You know what happens when someone can't really find a way to knock a team? They bring up some old shit. Kind of like what you just said.

ElNono
02-16-2009, 11:02 PM
And how does that 2004 team even resemble this 09 team? You know what happens when someone can't really find a way to knock a team? They bring up some old shit. Kind of like what you just said.

Who is comparing teams? I'm comparing bitter Laker fans telling us how their team is better, and how hateful and bitter we are because 'The Spurs are done'.
Please. We heard it in '04, then in '06. Just pointing out that your material is pretty old.

ginobili's bald spot
02-16-2009, 11:07 PM
You let Pau Gasol average 22 points a game in two meetings and you have no business being called elite anymore. Sorry Boston. Will finish 61-21 only because of a fast start to the season.

Interesting.

Pau Gasol points per 48 vs the Celtics is....25.7

Pau Gasol points per 48 vs the Spurs is.....25.7

:wow I guess the Spurs have no business being called elite anymore.

Lakers>Spurs
02-16-2009, 11:11 PM
My material? I called the Spurs done? Please enlighten me where.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Based on that review the only Western Conf. teams that will play well in the second half of the season are the Spurs and the Jazz. I didn't realize the conference had regressed so far.

Biggems
02-16-2009, 11:16 PM
I see the Spurs getting as close as 3 games of the Lakers, but never getting closer and eventually losing the top seed by 4 games.

1 Lakers
2 Spurs
3-8 who cares

it will be Lakers vs Spurs again in the WCF. although the Spurs will be a huge underdog....I will pick them in 6.

ElNono
02-16-2009, 11:20 PM
My material? I called the Spurs done? Please enlighten me where.

Really? The whole Spurs will get eliminated by the Lakers part pretty much says it all. I mean, why even bother playing if you say we're gonna lose. :rolleyes
The OP made some predictions (some of them outrageous, as usual), but you fell right into his trap, calling him bitter and playing the confidence card.
I'm confident in in my team too. I think if we're healthy we can beat anybody out there, including the Lakers.

Lakers>Spurs
02-16-2009, 11:26 PM
You know me and Lakers999 are two different people.

ElNono
02-16-2009, 11:47 PM
You know me and Lakers999 are two different people.

You did a pretty good job answering my post to him...

cobbler
02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Really? The whole Spurs will get eliminated by the Lakers part pretty much says it all. I mean, why even bother playing if you say we're gonna lose. :rolleyes
The OP made some predictions (some of them outrageous, as usual), but you fell right into his trap, calling him bitter and playing the confidence card.
I'm confident in in my team too. I think if we're healthy we can beat anybody out there, including the Lakers.

Confident and delusional are completely different! :lmao

SpursDynasty
02-17-2009, 12:32 AM
The Spurs are the favorites to win the championship this year. The Lakers are the underdogs.

ginobili's bald spot
02-17-2009, 03:32 AM
The Spurs are the favorites to win the championship this year. The Lakers are the underdogs.

How can the Spurs even be considered elite let alone "favorites" when they allow Pau to score at the exact same rate as the Celtics? According to your own criteria that makes them not elite.

bostonguy
02-17-2009, 04:47 AM
1. Boston Celtics (44-11) - These guys had it all. A 66-16 season the year before, the NBA Championship, and a 27-2 start to this season. Then they went out and played shit basketball for the Lakers and it's pretty much been over since then. 17-9 since starting 27-2? I don't know about these guys anymore. As solid as a team can be in the NBA but the fact that they let a scrub Laker team beat them twice raises some suspicion about whether or not their 2008 championship was indeed a fluke. You let Pau Gasol average 22 points a game in two meetings and you have no business being called elite anymore. Sorry Boston. Will finish 61-21 only because of a fast start to the season.

:tu:tu Glad you are back dawg!

ElNono
02-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Confident and delusional are completely different! :lmao

Exactly what I was thinking! This guy thinks the Lakers are going to beat the Spurs... I mean, LOL!!!

sonic21
02-17-2009, 08:13 AM
I agree 100% with your predictions SD :tu

Rogue
02-17-2009, 08:57 AM
The Spurs and Mavs team are the favorites to win the championship this year. The Lakers are the dogs.
:lol

LEONARD
02-17-2009, 11:44 AM
SD back spreading more shit...woohoo!!

LEONARD
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
10/31/08

1. 59-23 spurs - we were the oldest team last season. We needed to get younger. We got younger. Sure, no new superstars, but we can't ask for more than already having 3 legitimate all-stars on the team. Td, tp, bowen, and manu are still here. Once again experience will carry us. Unless horry had another big shot left in him, we won't necessarily miss his 2.5 points a game. The guy's a legend and has more rings than jordan, but his time has passed. Barry played only 31 games for us and gave us 7.1 points a game. Seriously guys, why is this year's team worse than any previous years?

2. 56-26 hornets - these guys are a regular season team and more or less will finish with the same record as last season. Out in 2nd round. We'll see chris paul flop his way to at least 1/3 of his scoring average. A couple of alley oops with tyson chandler, a couple of jump shots from david west...they'll be out in the 2nd round vs. A team like utah or so.

3. 55-27 jazz - not much to say here other than this is a solid team. They don't get as much love from the refs as new orleans, so they'll finish slightly behind.

4. 53-29 suns - i put these guys this high simply because there aren't any other teams besides sa, no, and utah that are better. They should make the most of shaq while he's still there. They beat us already but without our starting center and manu. Not much to make of that yet.

5. 52-30 lakers - this team had to have derek fisher ask utah to release him from his contract so he could concentrate on his daughter...then run to la and join the team. Utah fans are right to boo fisher every time he steps into that arena. Then the gasol deal. Sorry, but i still don't see the big deal about this team. This is a team that lost the finals, including a 39-point loss in game 6. Yet this team is getting more love than the actual champs. This team has one legitimate all-star in kobe. The rest are filler.

5. 44-38 mavericks - again, this is a regular season team that used to win 60+ games, but now that they have jason kidd, they're a regular season team that wins 44 games.

7. 43-39 rockets

8. 42-40 warriors - there aren't anymore non-junk teams left in the west past these guys. I still don't know what to expect out of this team. Baron davis is gone but corey maggette is now on the team.

LEONARD
02-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Preseason predictions - 10/31/08

1. 59-23 Spurs
2. 56-26 Hornets
3. 55-27 Jazz
4. 53-29 Suns
5. 52-30 Lakers
5. 44-38 Mavericks
7. 43-39 Rockets
8. 42-40 Warriors

Standings - 2/16/09

1. Lakers (42-10)
2. Spurs (35-16)
3. Denver (36-17)
4. Portland (32-20)
5. Houston (32-21)
6. New Orleans (30-20)
7. Dallas (31-21)
8. Utah (30-23)
9. Phoenix (28-23)

NEW Predictions - 2/16/09

1. Spurs 60-22
2. Lakers 57-25
3. New Orleans 51-31
4. Dallas 50-32
5. Denver 49-33
6. Utah 49-33
7. Houston ??
8. Portland 48-34
9. Phoenix 40-42

Do we get another round of predictions in April or so, Jeff?? :rollin

When in doubt, makes TONS Of predictions, then you claim yourself as a genius when 1 of 50 hits... :lmao

Fermixalot
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Only 25-6? I really don't see SA losing another game this season.

Your sig is awesome.

Red Hawk #21
02-17-2009, 12:50 PM
1. Lakers (42-10) - These guys have been fake all season long. I don't know what it is, but this team just doesn't have it but continues to win games due to the officiating, much like the 2006-2007 Mavs who won 67. I think much of the league is suffering from a pre-concieved notion that they can't compete with the Lakers, so when the game time comes, they simply don't try. It won't last much longer. They are not that good defensively, they are 20th in the league in points allowed per game. The reason they are winning games is because they are 1st in the league in points scored per game. But
what happens if some of those shots don't go down? With exactly 30 games to go, I would expect about a 15-15 record the rest of way, leaving them at 57-25, same record as last year. Again, if teams would actually show up and stop playing Mickey Mouse Basketball against the Lakers, these clowns wouldn't be 42-10. No team with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum as their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers will ever win a championship.

Portland (32-20) - First of all, Brandon Roy being selected an All-Star is a big indicator that the league lacks depth and talent. If this were the 90's NBA, no way Brandon Roy would be an All-Star. He wouldn't even be a player or a bench player. Brandon Roy would have been lucky to even be a water boy if today's NBA was like the 90's. Greg Oden? Enough said. LaMarcus Aldridge wants to talk about not being soft, then goes out and averages 9 points and 5 rebounds a game. How about Joel Pryzbilla....this guy tries to stand up to Tyson Chandler, then has his grandma write a letter to the league because Chandler was bullying him. I thought a scrub like Rajon Rondo shoving Kobe as if he's actually a significant player was the league's low point until I remembered this. 30 games to go, 16-14 the rest of the way, 48-34 finish.

ROFL!!

Allanon
02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
You can pretty much pen in the Lakers for the #1 seed in the West.

Lakers will probably win the West by about 10+ games if teams continue on the same pace as they are now.

Lakers would have to go close to .500 the rest of the way for the Spurs (or any team) to catch up. Assuming, of course, that teams don't go on 22 game winning streaks.

BUMP
02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
that would be a pretty entertaining first round if the seeds stood as they are now.

LA vs a healthy Utah
SA vs Dallas
Denver vs NO
Portland vs Houston

Girasuck
02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
that would be a pretty entertaining first round if the seeds stood as they are now.

LA vs a healthy Utah
SA vs Dallas
Denver vs NO
Portland vs Houston

Which won't be the case because a healthy Utah won't end up as the 8 seed. I think we'll end up as the 4 or 5 seed.

sook
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
eat shit

LEONARD
02-17-2009, 06:41 PM
eat shit

:rollin

Agloco
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
3. Orlando (38-13) - These guys wanted to go around acting like they are badasses, and then Jameer Nelson ends his season over trying to grab a rebound away from Erick Dampier. Fail. 54-28 final record. As for Dwight Howard, what happened to winning the dunk contest? :lol

ROFL :lmao

LEONARD
02-18-2009, 10:35 AM
2. Spurs (35-16) - 31 games to go, 25-6 the rest of the way, 60-22 final record.

Good start, jinx'r...loss @ the Knicks :lol