PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Nearing Another Milestone....

Galileo
02-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Duncan Nearing Another Milestone....

It looks like Tim Duncan is a cinch to be named 1st-Team, All-NBA this season for the 10th time. Ten is a nice round number.

Here's the all-time list:

12 selections

none

11 selections

Karl Malone

10 selections

Kareem Abdul-Jabber

Jerry West

Bob Cousy

Bob Pettit

Michael Jordan

Elgin Baylor

Tim Duncan this season

That's it

The all-NBA team is in many ways the NBA's most prestigous award as it goes all the back to the beginning of the league, even before they had the MVP or rookie-of-the year, or any other awards at all.

I think Duncan has a good chance to tie or beat Karl Malone as well over the next two seasons. There aren't many NBA players who have 1st-Team, All-NBA potential at forward.

The list

Lebron James will be 1st team if he doesn't get injured

OTHERS

Carmelo Anthony - has potential to do it.

Dirk - still could do it, but his team sucks and they are fucked by the salary cap

LaMarkus Aldredge - has outside chance

Bargnani - virtually no chance

Michael Beasley - doesn't look like he's going to even be an all-star at this point

Carlos Boozer - injured again, very good, but not a shotblocker and team needs to win more

Elton Brand - past his prime and injury prone

Kevin Garnett - starting to slow down, stat freak hay-days are over

Pau Gasol - very good, but has already peaked

Al Harrington - good, but not good enough

Al Horford - has potential, but probably not enough to be better than Duncan over the next two or three years, and hasn't improved much this year

Al Jefferson - injured, and team needs to win a lot more

Paul Milsap - would have to really improve even more than he already has, and team needs to win more

Emeka Okafor - has already peaked, it seems

David West - good, but not good enough and has already peaked

David Lee - a surprise, but would have to imprve stats and do it on a good team, not likely

COLLEGE & HIGH SCHOOL PROSPECTS

Blake Griffin is the best, and he's not good enough to jump into the NBA a make 1st team, All-NBA right away like Tim did.

So I don't think I missed anyone. Basically, even if Duncan starts to drop off a little the next year or two, I don't see any way for anything to stop Tim from breaking Malone's record, unless Tim gets injured.

What does the crew think?

I'm sick of re-hashing trade rumors.

All-NBA and All-ABA Selections by Player
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_league_by_player.html

ginomvp
02-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Duncan Nearing Another Milestone....

It looks like Tim Duncan is a cinch to be named 1st-Team, All-NBA this season for the 10th time. Ten is a nice round number.

Here's the all-time list:

12 selections

none

11 selections

Karl Malone

10 selections

Kareem Abdul-Jabber

Jerry West

Bob Cousy

Bob Pettit

Michael Jordan

Elgin Baylor

Tim Duncan this season

That's it

The all-NBA team is in many ways the NBA's most prestigous award as it goes all the back to the beginning of the league, even before they had the MVP or rookie-of-the year, or any other awards at all.

I think Duncan has a good chance to tie or beat Karl Malone as well over the next two seasons. There aren't many NBA players who have 1st-Team, All-NBA potential at forward.

The list

Lebron James will be 1st team if he doesn't get injured

OTHERS

Carmelo Anthony - has potential to do it.

Dirk - still could do it, but his team sucks and they are fucked by the salary cap

LaMarkus Aldredge - has outside chance

Bargnani - virtually no chance

Michael Beasley - doesn't look like he's going to even be an all-star at this point

Carlos Boozer - injured again, very good, but not a shotblocker and team needs to win more

Elton Brand - past his prime and injury prone

Kevin Garnett - starting to slow down, stat freak hay-days are over

Pau Gasol - very good, but has already peaked

Al Harrington - good, but not good enough

Al Horford - has potential, but probably not enough to be better than Duncan over the next two or three years, and hasn't improved much this year

Al Jefferson - injured, and team needs to win a lot more

Paul Milsap - would have to really improve even more than he already has, and team needs to win more

Emeka Okafor - has already peaked, it seems

David West - good, but not good enough and has already peaked

David Lee - a surprise, but would have to imprve stats and do it on a good team, not likely

COLLEGE & HIGH SCHOOL PROSPECTS

Blake Griffin is the best, and he's not good enough to jump into the NBA a make 1st team, All-NBA right away like Tim did.

So I don't think I missed anyone. Basically, even if Duncan starts to drop off a little the next year or two, I don't see any way for anything to stop Tim from breaking Malone's record, unless Tim gets injured.

What does the crew think?

I'm sick of re-hashing trade rumors.
i think he can definetly do that. i just wish the guy got a little more fan fare about it. if it was lebron or kobe u would never hear the end of it.

lefty
02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
I can't believe Duncan228 didn't post that one :wow:wow:wow

BlackSwordsMan
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
meaningless stat

duncan228
02-16-2009, 08:54 PM
The number of first team All NBA and All Defensive NBA teams are an amazing accomplishment. Duncan is so consistent, and he has been for so long, that it's easy for even us to take him for granted. His resume is incredible now, it's going to be mind boggling by the time he's done.

Thanks for the post Galileo, it's a wonderful milestone.

Unholy Turkey
02-16-2009, 09:05 PM
meaningless stat

How?

I'd LOVE to have anyone with even a pinch of Duncan's leadership on the Rockets.

angelbelow
02-16-2009, 09:10 PM
meaningless stat

so what does?

Galileo
02-16-2009, 09:32 PM
The number of first team All NBA and All Defensive NBA teams are an amazing accomplishment. Duncan is so consistent, and he has been for so long, that it's easy for even us to take him for granted. His resume is incredible now, it's going to be mind boggling by the time he's done.

Thanks for the post Galileo, it's a wonderful milestone.

Thanks, duncan 228.

Duncan was pegged to make 1st team in 2006 as well, but his planter fascillis injury slowed him the last third of the season and he fell below Lebron in a close vote. He was close last year as well.

Here's another bullshit headline:

NBA to resume with Bryant harboring title hopes
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArwJ.7.n8AyMFuNUxPUubO28vLYF?slug=ap-second-halflookahead&prov=ap&type=lgns

This is a featured story on the yahoo NBA homepage. This shit really makes me barf. What about Duncan eying his 5th title? Duncan is not even mentioned in the article. This is a pure example of media bias. They do this all the time in politics where its easier to get away with, but they do it in sports, too.

There's nothing I'd like to see more than another Spurs title this year. Then maybe they might start talking about whether Duncan can match Jordan.

As it stands now, Duncan is harboring hopes that he can match Magic with 5 titles.

Duncan has already brought more teammates a ring than Jordan, because Duncan's rings are more spread out and the team had more turnover than the Bulls (a big credit to Duncan).

But of the 2007 Spurs, only 8 remain. If 12 play in the playoffs, then Duncan could be getting four more guys an NBA ring. And that's assuming that the Spurs don't make a trade.

The real key for Tim to break Malone's record is the for the Spurs to stay at a 55-60 wins level, or at least a 50 win level minimum. Tim will be 1st team if the Spurs keep winning for the next two years even if Tim's points and/or rebounds drop 1 or 2. A couple years ago the NBA was LOADED with great forwards, but that seems to have thinned out fast.

What Tim wants is wins anyways, he doesn't care about awards (but we Spurs fans do).

Go Tim! Go Spurs! Eye the Five!

Galileo
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I meant to post this earlier:

All-NBA and All-ABA Selections by Player
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_league_by_player.html

TDMVPDPOY
02-16-2009, 11:09 PM
lol kmalone had no challenge at the PF or forward spot in general in his days...

while duncan has to go up against guys like webber, KG, DIRK, BRAND, JERMAINE and now guys like carmelo, lebron and shit are fighting to be forward spots also....

Joe Schmoogins
02-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan be the first to 12

m33p0
02-16-2009, 11:22 PM
lol kmalone had no challenge at the PF or forward spot in general in his days...

while duncan has to go up against guys like webber, KG, DIRK, BRAND, JERMAINE and now guys like carmelo, lebron and shit are fighting to be forward spots also....
well, there was charles barkley.... uhm.... uhm.... dennis rodman.... uhm... buck williams.... uhm... did i mention charles barkley?

mystargtr34
02-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Kareem had Wilt at C earlier in his career, and then Moses Malone beat him out a few times.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 11:29 PM
How does Abdul-Jabar not have like 15 or 18 first team all NBA?

Or Wilt with 13 or 14?

Looks like Willis Reed and Kareem kept Wilt off the list Wilt's last few years.

Thomas82
02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan be the first to 12

I think he can do it.

coyotes_geek
02-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Some useless trivia inspired by browsing the basketball reference link provided earlier.

Without cheating, who can tell me which player off this list has the most appearances on the 1st Team All-NBA?

James Worthy
Kevin Johnson
Vince Carter
Adrian Dantley
Paul Pierce
Robert Parish
Reggie Miller
Lattrell Spreewell

pwilliam
02-17-2009, 12:18 AM
another milestone: duncan will be the FIRST nba player to be named to the all-defensive team for the 12th time, if he get named this year, which is highly likely.

LockBeard
02-17-2009, 01:18 AM
He'll break Malone's 1st-team record.

Thomas82
02-17-2009, 01:37 AM
He'll break Malone's 1st-team record.

No doubt.

Galileo
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Some useless trivia inspired by browsing the basketball reference link provided earlier.

Without cheating, who can tell me which player off this list has the most appearances on the 1st Team All-NBA?

James Worthy
Kevin Johnson
Vince Carter
Adrian Dantley
Paul Pierce
Robert Parish
Reggie Miller
Lattrell Spreewell

I know Spreewell had one. I doubt the others had any.

MoSpur
02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Absolutely awesome.