PDA

View Full Version : 'Old' Spurs Emerge As A Contender -- Again

duncan228
02-16-2009, 11:52 PM
'Old' Spurs emerge as a contender -- again (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_11718881)
By Steve Luhm
The Salt Lake Tribune

All-Star point guard Tony Parker has one word for everyone who thought age might finally be catching up with the San Antonio Spurs.

Scoreboard.

After an outbreak of early-season injuries, the Spurs exit the All-Star break looking like one of four teams with a legitimate shot at an NBA championship.

Old?

So is Bruce Springsteen.

So is the U.S. Constitution.

But they're both doing fairly well, too.

"I like the direction we are going," said Parker. "I think we're in the right track. We're playing very good basketball right now. We've had some big wins on the road -- Utah, Boston. So we're going in the right direction. We just have to keep it going."

San Antonio trails the Lakers by 6½ games in the Western Conference, but the Spurs have opened a four-game lead in the rugged Southwest Division and looked primed for another deep playoff run.

That's why Parker smiles when asked about those who thought the Spurs, who have won four championships since 1999, were too old to contend again.

"People always say that about us," he said. "But it's OK because we know whatever happens, we're always going to be solid.

"We have a great core, a great organization, a great system. So we really don't pay attention to that. We just go out there and play hard and see what happens."

Tim Duncan remains the leader of the Spurs. He averages 20.8 points and, in a league without Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, Duncan would be mentioned in every MVP discussion.

"Some people believe they can beat San Antonio this year," said Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. "But now they have to go out and prove it. And that won't be easy. … I would hate to count them out [because] San Antonio knows how to win. Those players -- especially Duncan, Parker and Ginobili -- they believe they're going to win."

Maybe that's why the Spurs are 9-3 this season in games decided by three points or less.

And why they are 4-0 in overtime.

Still, Parker admits the Lakers have been the West's dominant team during the first 3½ months of the regular season.

L.A. is 42-10, which puts the Lakers on a 66-win pace.

"At this point," said forward Lamar Odom, "we feel like we're not going to beat ourselves. You are going to have to beat us."

According to Derek Fisher, the Lakers' consistency has been a key to their success: "We haven't had very many nights this year when you can look back and say, 'They just weren't there. They didn't compete. They didn't give everything they had.'"

After the Jazz scored a 113-109 win over the Lakers last week, Fisher still found a silver lining.

"In the past, I think the Jazz would have probably found a way to crack that game open and run away with it," he said. "But I think we showed some mental and physical toughness to keep ourselves in the game."

SouthTexasRancher
02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Nice find, duncan228......always good to read a positive article from another city. I have to admit when it comes to class Utah is at the top of the list that has Phoenix at the bottom.

Mr Bones
02-17-2009, 12:58 AM
No matter what the Spurs do, people keep repeating the cliched "they're old" mantra. With Mason and Bonner starting, Hill playing close to 20 minutes a game, Bowen playing fewer minutes, and no more Horry or Barry, the Spurs have gotten significantly younger, but lazy sportswriters keep falling back on the only thing they know... the "old" label. The Big 3 of the Celtics, Mavericks, and especially the Suns are all older than the big 3 of the Spurs. Manu had his best nba year ever just last season, Parker is a long ways off from thirty, and Duncan's the same 20/10 guy he has always been. I subscribe to the "they're one big man short of a perfect roster" theory, but I think the age thing means nothing this season at all.

Trainwreck2100
02-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Nice find, duncan228......always good to read a positive article from another city. I have to admit when it comes to class Utah is at the top of the list that has Phoenix at the bottom.

Fuck Utah

YODA
02-17-2009, 01:05 AM
No matter what the Spurs do, people keep repeating the cliched "they're old" mantra. With Mason and Bonner starting, Hill playing close to 20 minutes a game, Bowen playing fewer minutes, and no more Horry or Barry, the Spurs have gotten significantly younger, but lazy sportswriters keep falling back on the only thing they know... the "old" label. The Big 3 of the Celtics, Mavericks, and especially the Suns are all older than the big 3 of the Spurs. Manu had his best nba year ever just last season, Parker is a long ways off from thirty, and Duncan's the same 20/10 guy he has always been. I subscribe to the "they're one big man short of a perfect roster" theory, but I think the age thing means nothing this season at all.

Agreed on the age issue and the one big man short theory. I also think alot of us on here concur with that. That center situation worries the hell out of me. Can we compete with what we got? Absolutly, but can we take it all? My gut says no, but my heart says yes.

02-17-2009, 01:30 AM
sigh.. another "spurs are old but don't count them out" cliche article.

wisnub
02-17-2009, 03:15 AM
'Old' Spurs emerge as a contender -- again (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_11718881)
By Steve Luhm
The Salt Lake Tribune

All-Star point guard Tony Parker has one word for everyone who thought age might finally be catching up with the San Antonio Spurs.

Scoreboard.

After an outbreak of early-season injuries, the Spurs exit the All-Star break looking like one of four teams with a legitimate shot at an NBA championship.

Old?

So is Bruce Springsteen.

So is the U.S. Constitution.

But they're both doing fairly well, too.

"I like the direction we are going," said Parker. "I think we're in the right track. We're playing very good basketball right now. We've had some big wins on the road -- Utah, Boston. So we're going in the right direction. We just have to keep it going."

San Antonio trails the Lakers by 6½ games in the Western Conference, but the Spurs have opened a four-game lead in the rugged Southwest Division and looked primed for another deep playoff run.

That's why Parker smiles when asked about those who thought the Spurs, who have won four championships since 1999, were too old to contend again.

"People always say that about us," he said. "But it's OK because we know whatever happens, we're always going to be solid.

"We have a great core, a great organization, a great system. So we really don't pay attention to that. We just go out there and play hard and see what happens."

Tim Duncan remains the leader of the Spurs. He averages 20.8 points and, in a league without Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, Duncan would be mentioned in every MVP discussion.

"Some people believe they can beat San Antonio this year," said Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. "But now they have to go out and prove it. And that won't be easy. … I would hate to count them out [because] San Antonio knows how to win. Those players -- especially Duncan, Parker and Ginobili -- they believe they're going to win."

Maybe that's why the Spurs are 9-3 this season in games decided by three points or less.

And why they are 4-0 in overtime.

Still, Parker admits the Lakers have been the West's dominant team during the first 3½ months of the regular season.

L.A. is 42-10, which puts the Lakers on a 66-win pace.

"At this point," said forward Lamar Odom, "we feel like we're not going to beat ourselves. You are going to have to beat us."

According to Derek Fisher, the Lakers' consistency has been a key to their success: "We haven't had very many nights this year when you can look back and say, 'They just weren't there. They didn't compete. They didn't give everything they had.'"

After the Jazz scored a 113-109 win over the Lakers last week, Fisher still found a silver lining.

"In the past, I think the Jazz would have probably found a way to crack that game open and run away with it," he said. "But I think we showed some mental and physical toughness to keep ourselves in the game."

Its nice to get recognition from other city..but Steve Luhm didnt know Spurs progress on roster. Spurs IS NOT OLD TEAM ANYMORE. He just either stupid ignorant or misinformed; Tony Parker, Roger Mason Jr, Matt Bonner, George Hill are all impact players on Spurs and they are young. I wouldnt include Mahinmi coz he still hurt. Sun is actually older than us, Mavs too. THis guy need more research

stéphane
02-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Thanks 228.
So Jeff's cousin is writer in Utah...

sheriee84
02-17-2009, 04:18 AM
According to the media, the Spurs have been "old" since 2002... hmmm.... i'll take old and wise over young and stupid...