PDA

View Full Version : We Love Our Team

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:15 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/021709dnspomavslede.3b3b91c.html

Big trade For Dallas Mavericks seen as unlikely

10:06 PM CST on Monday, February 16, 2009

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

The Dallas Mavericks and other teams in the NBA are in the process of separating fact from fiction as trade talk gets serious with the deadline approaching.

The question is whether any of the names filtering about make sense for them.

New Jersey's Vince Carter, Phoenix's Shaquille O'Neal and Minnesota's Mike Miller may sound delicious, but any chance of the Mavericks dealing for them is remote.

More likely, according to a pair of NBA sources, is that the Mavericks would pull off a smaller deal for a player who would be solidly in their playing rotation.

The teams that seem to be on everybody's speed dial are Oklahoma City and Portland.

Oklahoma City has several players who own expiring contracts, and the team's financial situation is such that it may be willing to take on some salary in return for players such as Chris Wilcox, Joe Smith and Earl Watson, a point guard believed to be on the Mavericks' watch list.

Portland, meanwhile, has the $12 million expiring contract of Raef LaFrentz to use as bait, and the Blazers believe they are only a key player away from being championship worthy as the nucleus of Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jerryd Bayless and Greg Oden continues to grow.

The Mavericks have one key asset to dangle – Jerry Stackhouse and his $7 million contract, which is guaranteed for only $2 million next season. Like other teams, they will probably weigh their options as long as possible before Thursday's 2 p.m. deadline.

As far as the marquee names go, one of the sources said Carter may have a decent shot of ending up in San Antonio or Chicago, although staying in New Jersey seems more likely.

Similarly, Miller seems destined to remain in Minnesota, and O'Neal, along with Amare Stoudemire, may be off the block with the coaching change Monday in Phoenix. Terry Porter was fired, and Alvin Gentry, who worked with Mike D'Antoni in the uptempo style for years, was promoted.

Sacramento is offering nearly everybody on its team with the exception of Kevin Martin – with John Salmons or Francisco Garcia the players that would most likely appeal to the Mavericks.

One player unlikely to move is Bobby Jackson, who is in the final year of his contract worth $6 million and is a face of the franchise in Sacramento.

Chicago has several players who could be moved, including shooter Ben Gordon and point guard Kirk Hinrich, if a team is willing to take on his hefty contract.

duncan228
02-17-2009, 01:19 AM
We Love Our Team

:cheer :cheer

Ghazi
02-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Good.

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:21 AM
first round exits are the best! :cheer

LockBeard
02-17-2009, 01:23 AM
At least get Stackhouse or Terry to punch Fisher in the balls for us.

Ghazi
02-17-2009, 01:23 AM
first round exits are the best! :cheer

No trade out there could give us anything more than a playoff series win honestly, IMO atleast.

So 1st round exit, 2nd round exit, sometimes I think it'd be nice to experience 10-12 Mavs playoff games than 5-6. But meh.

Especially since it appears our ceiling is 4th seed, meaning 2nd round L to Lakers.

I just find it funny you mock the 'we love our team' mantra, when the last time they said this, they made the Kidd trade, which you seem to have liked, and it turns out we probably should've made a better deal :toast

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:24 AM
It's amazing how bad the Mavs scouts have gotten.

San Antonio has managed to get solid role players who actually contribute over the years, either through free agency or the draft. George Hill, Roger Mason, Matt Bonner, and on and on and on.

Meanwhile Dallas has gotten crap like Nick Fazekas, Devean George, Trenton Hassell, and Greg Buckner.

Other than Brandon Bass, what great role player has Donnie Nelson acquired?

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:26 AM
No trade out there could give us anything more than a playoff series win honestly, IMO atleast.

Oh there's plenty of trades out there that will put us right there with San Antonio and Los Angeles. The Mavs front office just loves their team too much to do them.

Ghazi
02-17-2009, 01:28 AM
SA scouts? please. Matt Bonner? Roger Mason? You're just listing names, not good players.

The only thing SA has ever done is tank a season and luck its way into a #1 draft pick :toast

Lakers, now theres a front office you can applaud. 4 years removed from Shaq they've built a team set for now and the future, with brilliant trades for Ariza and Gasol, drafting of Bynum and Farmar, etc.

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:28 AM
I just find it funny you mock the 'we love our team' mantra, when the last time they said this, they made the Kidd trade, which you seem to have liked, and it turns out we probably should've made a better deal :toast

The mistake wasn't trading for Kidd, the mistake was putting all their trust in Avery when they were just going to fire him 3 months later.

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:30 AM
SA scouts? please. Matt Bonner? Roger Mason? You're just listing names, not good players.

LMAO Roger Mason is exactly the player the Mavs needed this offseason, and they let him go to the Spurs while they threw all their cash at Diop.

Xylus
02-17-2009, 01:31 AM
It's as bad being a Mavs fan these days as it is a Suns fan.

Difference is, the Mavericks refuse to make a single move, while the Suns just trade away all their solid role players.

Ghazi
02-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Oh there's plenty of trades out there that will put us right there with San Antonio and Los Angeles. The Mavs front office just loves their team too much to do them.

Maybe San Antonio, since they have a fluke record and should probably have 2-3 more losses if not for bullshit shots. Thus, they've only played 2 games better than us.

The Lakers on the other hand. 11 games better than us, that's a pretty convincing gap. A value for value trade doesn't slice into that gap, a Gasol like trade would, and Gasol trades dont grow on trees.

Anywho, the only name appealing to me is Shaq. VC? Salmons? Miller? Davis? yeahhh thats not gonna make our beloved Mavs elite.

Its da same story every time we've played the Lakers since Gasol trade. We tease our beloved fanbase into thinking we're on their level, then they shift to another gear we cant match and eat our leads up.

No trade would change the fact that our best player is Dirk, and their best player is Kobe... PLUS they have superior coaching, superior depth, superior 2nd fiddle (Gasol). etc.

Anywho, I hope we get a trade done, but if not "we'll go to war with what we GOT" as Dirk said (1st round exit :().

Ditty
02-17-2009, 01:33 AM

The only thing SA has ever done is tank a season and luck its way into a #1 draft pick :toast

Lakers, now theres a front office you can applaud. 4 years removed from Shaq they've built a team set for now and the future, with brilliant trades for Ariza and Gasol, drafting of Bynum and Farmar, etc.

wow i guess you haven't seen spurs game this year

mavs>spurs2
02-17-2009, 01:33 AM
If the deadline passes and we do nothing then I'm changing my team affiliation for good. Actually, I probably won't watch NBA anymore

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:34 AM
It's as bad being a Mavs fan these days as it is a Suns fan.

Difference is, the Mavericks refuse to make a single move, while the Suns just trade away all their solid role players.

And to think, not even 2 years ago, Suns fans & Mavs fans despised each other because each of us thought the other team was the only roadblock to a championship (besides the Spurs). Now we're united in misery and the only people we despise are the owners of our teams.

Xylus
02-17-2009, 01:36 AM
And to think, not even 2 years ago, Suns fans & Mavs fans despised each other because each of us thought the other team was the only roadblock to a championship (besides the Spurs). Now we're united in misery and the only people we despise are the owners of our teams.

It's true. One of my greatest pleasures as an NBA fan was watching the Warriors beat the Mavs in the 1st round, and now I'd rather see your team in the Finals than any team other than the Suns.

I used to think stretch was an epic douche, but now I don't mind him so much.

Ghazi
02-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Cuban shouldn't be compared to Sarver.

IronMexican
02-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I used to hate Dallas and PHX. Now, I feel bad for them not winning a title.

Let's hope these Lakers don't face the same fate and get that "Close, but no cookie" badge.

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Cuban shouldn't be compared to Sarver.

They're both morons who don't know how to run a team, they've got that in common.

Xylus
02-17-2009, 01:38 AM
They're both intrusive, distracting presences during games.

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Let's hope these Lakers don't face the same fate and get that "Close, but no cookie" badge.

:lmao yeah, sure, it would really suck if the fucking Lakers didn't win a title.

IronMexican
02-17-2009, 01:41 AM
:lol

It's not my fault the team I root for are the Yankees of bball. Plus, I know what it's like as a fan to see your team close to getting a title but falling just short for a couple years before age kicks in.

Rogue
02-17-2009, 01:42 AM
LMAO Roger Mason is exactly the player the Mavs needed this offseason, and they let him go to the Spurs while they threw all their cash at Diop.
that just reflects how urgent our team is for a good center. our squad is good enough to bring us a ticket to the playoffs, but it can hardly survive in the post season where the games are much tougher and more physical. Dampier/Howard for O'Neal looks pretty attractive to suns as long as they have already returned to D'Antoni's systerm.

Ghazi
02-17-2009, 01:43 AM
monosylab more like whininglab1k

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 01:46 AM
monosylab more like whininglab1k

I'll just let this post speak for itself.

IronMexican
02-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Ghazi. More like Gayzi

Ghazi
02-17-2009, 01:56 AM
One minute we should blow it up, the next minute we're a trade away from being on the Spurs/Lakers level, even if our best player isn't a "leader" (w/e da fuck that means).

Im just saying :bking:king

championships dont grow on trees, 7 teams with them in the past 25 years. thats basically 75% of the league without a title in last 25 years.

But I dont lose much sleep on that. The 2006 Finals were tainted by bullshit whistles and fluke shots, that's the only reason our boys dont have a ring.

But that's the same reason everyone complains about the FO. Cause we almost tasted sweet sweet victory, but were denied due to bullshit whistles and fluke shots. So now we're upset at our decline because it was a good run without a ring.

But the decline is somewhat overstated. it just happens, just as it did to the Kings/Blazers earlier this decade, and as its happening to the Pistons/Suns/Mavs and to a lesser degree the Spurs now.

The Magic/Celtics/Lakers/Cavs weren't very good 2-3 years ago and now are the class of the league.

When you go from elite to "just good" as the Mavs are, it's usually hard to get back to elite status. Chances are, we'd have to be really shitty to ever become elite again.

Also I wonder what everyones feeling would be if we actually ended up winning that Boston game. 4th place doesn't sound as bad as 7th place. But at this point since 4-7 are separated by 1 game, those numbers really are irrelevant.

Not that I think winning or losing that game would've changed the state of the team, but it goes to show how knee jerk people are. :toast

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
One minute we should blow it up, the next minute we're a trade away from being on the Spurs/Lakers level, even if our best player isn't a "leader" (w/e da fuck that means).

championships dont grow on trees, 7 teams with them in the past 25 years. thats basically 75% of the league without a title in last 25 years.

But I dont lose much sleep on that. The 2006 Finals were tainted by bullshit whistles and fluke shots, that's the only reason our boys dont have a ring.

But that's the same reason everyone complains about the FO. Cause we almost tasted sweet sweet victory, but were denied due to bullshit whistles and fluke shots. So now we're upset at our decline because it was a good run without a ring.

But the decline is somewhat overstated. it just happens, just as it did to the Kings/Blazers earlier this decade, and as its happening to the Pistons/Suns/Mavs and to a lesser degree the Spurs now.

The Magic/Celtics/Lakers/Cavs weren't very good 2-3 years ago and now are the class of the league.

When you go from elite to "just good" as the Mavs are, it's usually hard to get back to elite status. Chances are, we'd have to be really shitty to ever become elite again.

Also I wonder what everyones feeling would be if we actually ended up winning that Boston game. 4th place doesn't sound as bad as 7th place. But at this point since 4-7 are separated by 1 game, those numbers really are irrelevant.

Not that I think winning or losing that game would've changed the state of the team, but it goes to show how knee jerk people are. :toast

I havent' bothered to read this post yet but I'm sure it's more bullshit, excuse making, and "we love our team".

ElNono
02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I havent' bothered to read this post yet but I'm sure it's more bullshit, excuse making, and "we love our team".

Why bother? Mavs are 'expected' to be kicked out in the first round.
And no, you can't revolt against that idea. You don't love our team if you do.

Ghazi
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
You guys are right. We're a Mike Miller or John Salmons or Vince muthufuckin Carter away from competing with the Lakers and Spurs. Acquiring one of these players washes away our pedestrian defense and roster flaws. :king

ElNono
02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Let's stand pat and wait for 2010... in the meantime I'll keep loving our team
:cheer

Brickhouse
02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
That exact line of thinking "not doing anything BUT Gasol-like deals" is why the Mavs are going to enjoy another first round exit.

Standing pat only confirms that Mark and Donnie are incompetent douches who are too in love with their own players, which is why Josh Howard is still here...the new excuse being that Darrell Armstrong is going to rejuvenate him.
So last year the Kidd trade was to win now, but every line from the FO these days is being a player in 2010. The fucktards in the FO are just feeding the fans more BS for another wasted season and more to come.

BlackSwordsMan
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I-10 rivarly! We love our team

djohn2oo8
02-17-2009, 02:08 PM

Why don't you stop living in the past!!! Bitchin about calls won't win you a title any more than having an injury riddled team.

Ghazi
02-17-2009, 02:44 PM
2010? Forget about 2010

As for now, what great deal can we make? Our "push all the chips in" move WAS the Kidd trade last year.

What are our assets?

Stackhouse? better expirings.

J-Ho? Any trade involving J-Ho is likely lateral, unless its for a big, but then that leaves us depleted at swingmen.

young talent? Bass... who I think is kinda important to the team, but alas, better young talent anyway.

Draft picks? Gone.

You all are whining and moaning, as if you guys know whats actually going on during the phone calls with other front offices?

If we don't make a trade, it doesn't mean the FO were content with the situation. But sometimes it IS better to stand pat than make a trade for the sake of making a trade.

Too much whining anyway. Our best case scenario is getting a 4 seed, 1 playoff series win, and getting swiftly beaten by the Lakers. I'm not sure if any trade could've upgraded our "best case scenario". There is no trade out there that changes the fact that Kobe/Gasol is a far more impressive tandem than Dirk/Terry, the fact that the Lakers have a deeper bench, better coaching, better offense, better defense, and would have HCA and we have historically struggled in Staples.etc.

I compare us to the Lakers because we do haev a "championship or bust" mindset, right? The West goes through the Lakers, who own us regardless of whether a trade was accomplished or not.

SO yeah... as vexing as standing pat may be, let's get real here, we're not catching the Lakers. And quite frankly, I still think we can win a single playoff series even without a trade, only if we get 4/5 seed though v Rockets/Blazers (maybe Hornets now that Chandler is gone, but Paul really owns us IDK).

BUMP
02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
our mantra or Cuban's over the years was to spend a lot of money to land big names and keep the team competitive i was fine with that (Antoine Walker, Van Exel, Lafrentz, Antwawn Jamison, Jason Kidd, almost getting Shaq, Danny Fortson [at the time], Jerry Stackhouse, etc.) most panned out pretty well so im shocked to see that they didnt pull the trigger on a Davis/Kaman for Kidd deal

dallaskd
02-17-2009, 06:02 PM
It's amazing how bad the Mavs scouts have gotten.

San Antonio has managed to get solid role players who actually contribute over the years, either through free agency or the draft. George Hill, Roger Mason, Matt Bonner, and on and on and on.

Meanwhile Dallas has gotten crap like Nick Fazekas, Devean George, Trenton Hassell, and Greg Buckner.

Other than Brandon Bass, what great role player has Donnie Nelson acquired?

Barea isnt bad. Diop was a good pickup the first time around. And Daniels was a steal until we overpayed him.

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Barea isnt bad. Diop was a good pickup the first time around. And Daniels was a steal until we overpayed him.

Diop & Daniels were found when Nellie was still around. Barea's taken 3 years to be a barely serviceable homeless man's Jason Terry.

sribb43
02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
i dont know whats more comical the Mavs slogan "We Love our Team" or Mavs fans hoping that we acquire our savior John Salmons from the Kings

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
i dont know whats more comical the Mavs slogan "We Love our Team" or Mavs fans hoping that we acquire our savior John Salmons from the Kings

John Salmons isn't the grand slam that Shaq/Mike Miller/Gerald Wallace would be, but it would be a very nice 2-RBI double. I'm all for getting Salmons, especially if Stack+more crap is all it takes.

sribb43
02-17-2009, 06:09 PM
John Salmons isn't the grand slam that Shaq/Mike Miller/Gerald Wallace would be, but it would be a very nice 2-RBI double. I'm all for getting Salmons, especially if Stack+more crap is all it takes.

Sure the Stack +trash for Salmons is a no brainer but what if the Kings demand you to take on Beno's deal

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Sure the Stack +trash for Salmons is a no brainer but what if it requires you to take on Beno's deal

I wouldn't care but I'm sure Cuban does. If he already was stupid enough to reject Davis/Kaman for Kidd, I'm sure he'd poop all over any deal that gives us back bad contracts in addition to significantly improved talent.

monosylab1k
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
The only deal I'm not at all jazzed about is anything for Brad Miller. Why exactly would we want a guy who can't defend in the paint, has no post game, no athleticism, and would do nothing but get in Dirk's way? Oh, he can "pass".....because that's what this team really needs.

sribb43
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
The only deal I'm not at all jazzed about is anything for Brad Miller. Why exactly would we want a guy who can't defend in the paint, has no post game, and would do nothing but get in Dirk's way?

If Miller cant play the high post then he is worthless on offense which means he is completely worthless bc he plays no D. Dirk aint going down low so B. Miller has no business on the mavs

dallaskd
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
J-Ho really needs to post up more. He was doing work down there last year.

sribb43
02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I still would like the mavs to pursue M. Miller for Stack + (insert mavs spare). Salmons is nice but he cant spread the floor Mike Miller....however i am surprised at Salmons shooting from the outside this season...based on his career numbers, he is nothing close to his 42% from 3 this season

sribb43
02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
J-Ho really needs to post up more. He was doing work down there last year.

we've seen more of this in recent games...imo if J-ho is your 4th option then you are fine...Dirk, JET, _____, J-Ho

monosylab1k
02-19-2009, 01:29 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/021909dnspomavsmoore.4179add.html

No deal for Dallas Mavericks in lackluster trade market

The Mavericks were players in trade talks with the Sacramento Kings about John Salmons. How seriously they were in the game is open to debate.

They apparently had Jerry Stackhouse on the table, perhaps paired with one of their young big men – possibly Brandon Bass.

That would have required Sacramento to send along another player to make the money work. But it all became a moot point when the Kings sent Salmons and Brad Miller to Chicago for a package of players.

Clearly, the Kings had bigger fish to fry than what the Mavericks had in their aquarium.

And now?

"I don't know that there's a whole lot more that's going to be done," owner Mark Cuban said. "Everybody's looking to do the same thing, save money and to save cap room [for the future]. It's hard to do both."

If the Mavericks pull off anything today before the 2 p.m. trade deadline, it is not expected to be anything earth-shaking. What their inactivity means – and what a general lack of movement throughout the league indicates – is that next summer is going to be outrageous in terms of teams trying to shed even more payroll.

As Cuban said, when teams start realizing that season-ticket renewals aren't pouring in like they usually do, purse strings will get even tighter. Cuban tries to play the role of the owner who can pull the trigger when he thinks it's the right thing to do. But when the deals simply aren't out there, it makes doing nothing the only sensible course.

monosylab1k
02-19-2009, 01:30 AM
:lmao the trade market was being described as a golden opportunity for another Gasol-type deal just 24 hours ago by Cuban. Now suddenly the market is "lackluster" simply because, yet again, the Mavs try and lowball Sacramento and end up getting bit in the ass.

Fuck Mark Cuban.

monosylab1k
02-19-2009, 01:31 AM
This is some goddamn bullshit. The Mavs will never be great with Mark Cuban running the show.

Ghazi
02-19-2009, 01:40 AM
This is some goddamn bullshit. The Mavs will never be great with Mark Cuban running the show.

:cry:cry:cry:cry

mattb_25
02-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Man, as much as I hoped we'd make a deal I figured this would happen after that debacle this summer. Fucking MBT is the stupidest shit ever. It's so fucking crazy how much Cuban has changed from before. He used to be badass, now he is the biggest ass douche behind Donnie. Well, there's still hope though, don't forget that we get the All star 18ppg player in Stack back and ALSO Jet.... :rolleyes O man what the fuck am I talking about, here's to another wasted year for Dirk and the Mavs!! :whine

At least I can root for the Thunder who actually look like they have a bright future :lol:lol:lol

Lars
02-19-2009, 01:44 AM
What trade did you want them to make?

mattb_25
02-19-2009, 01:52 AM
Trade for T-mac..

monosylab1k
02-19-2009, 01:53 AM
:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

monosylab1k
02-19-2009, 01:54 AM
What trade did you want them to make?

John Salmons was there to be had, but the Mavs found incompetence so easily achieved that the Bulls outbid them.

monosylab1k
02-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Wait, I forgot, we're getting Dwyane Wade in 2010.

And Chris Bosh will sign for the MLE because everybody wants to play for the Mavs, as evidenced by Erick Dampier, Devean George, Eddie Jones, Gana Diop, Greg Buckner, and all the other great free agents we've picked up.

Dirk will play for free, too.

Ghazi
02-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Mono for armchair GM of the YEAR!

monosylab1k
02-19-2009, 01:58 AM
Mono for armchair GM of the YEAR!

So do you alternate your pom-poms on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis?

Lars
02-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Hey you might still have a shot in the playoffs, Mavs seem to have been playing well lately.

Ghazi
02-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Armchair GM of the muthafuckin year monoslab1k!

Ghazi
02-19-2009, 02:07 AM
Hey you might still have a shot in the playoffs, Mavs seem to have been playing well lately.

At the end of the day, it probably really didn't matter. Barring fluke shots or injuries, the Lakers are winning the West this year. Trade or no trade, our best case scenario is a 4/5 seed and a playoff series win. That is still achievable, but that would just mean we lose in 4-5 to Lakers in 2nd round.

A trade may have solidified our chances of getting into that position, but would it have actually improved our ceiling? I doubt it.

Furthermore, how were we trying to "lowball" Sacramento as Mono put it. If Stackhouse was on the table, if Bass was on the table, who the hell else is supposed to be on the table? J-Ho is absolutely off limits for a player of John muthafuckin salmons caliber. Let's not pretend like the Mavs are laden with assets and are opting not to use them.

Anywho, there's still 13 hours left. So WHO KNOWS!

Lars
02-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Well my guess is you guys land Denver or San Antonio in the first round. Both are beatable, especially if Ginobli is out for the year. Its plausable, yet unlikely, you make it to the WCF.

I wouldn't wish for trades, just to make trades.

sribb43
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
2010 Biatch....The revival of the Dallas Mavericks

mogrovejo
02-19-2009, 09:39 AM
The Mavs had (and have) two options: radicalize and go for a full rebuild (around who? that's a difficult question, because Dirk may be too old already) or stand pat and see this core can do in the playoffs. Other options would imply to give away talent or eat bad contracts/give away good contracts in a way that would limit their options going on and that's not good, IMO.

sribb43
02-19-2009, 10:06 AM
With JET out 4 more weeks the Mavs need to do something to add another scorer bc they have some tough road games coming up between now and march...if nothing is done i fear this team will be the odd team out

SenorSpur
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Put down the Hatorade. Your criticism of the Spurs is misplaced - as usual. Along the way, you neglected to mention that the Celtics literally tanked the season on their way to the second worst record in the 1996-97 season and had the best odds (36 percent) of winning the lottery with two picks. Meaning the Celtics had a far better chance of landing the top pick, than did the Spurs. After all was said and done, Celtics ended up with picks #3 and #6 and the Spurs won the top pick. Don't hate on the Spurs simply because the lottery balls fell our way.

Instead, you should direct your venom towards your own FO. Let's start with the same 1997 draft. Turns out your team had two 1st round picks of their own. How did they spend them? Try Kelvin Cato and the great Chris Anstey (hailed as best running big man in the NBA, by the great Don Nelson). In recent years, how about your Mavs drafting Nick Fazekas and Mo Ager in recent years, then shipping them out as trade fodder. Or courting and signing the likes of free agent types Trenton Hassell, Anthony Johnson, and Austin Croshere. And probably their biggest and most recent blunder, the recent trading away of a young PG in Devin Harris for an old PG in Jason Kidd, along with two 1st round picks. In the process, adding more fat to an already-bloated, top-heavy payroll and making an old roster even older. That was just dumb. To compound matters, they followed that up with the brilliant, offseason of blowing their MLE wad on Desgana Diop, in yet another stroke of free agent idiocy.

Get that green monster off your back and lay blame where it really belongs - with the owner and FO of your own team.

Ghazi
02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
I stand by my muthafuckin opinion.

:toast

Pelicans78
02-19-2009, 12:38 PM

:flag: :lol

Brickhouse
02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Put down the Hatorade. Your criticism of the Spurs is misplaced - as usual. Along the way, you neglected to mention that the Celtics literally tanked the season on their way to the second worst record in the 1996-97 season and had the best odds (36 percent) of winning the lottery with two picks. Meaning the Celtics had a far better chance of landing the top pick, than did the Spurs. After all was said and done, Celtics ended up with picks #3 and #6 and the Spurs won the top pick. Don't hate on the Spurs simply because the lottery balls fell our way.

Instead, you should direct your venom towards your own FO. Let's start with the same 1997 draft. Turns out your team had two 1st round picks of their own. How did they spend them? Try Kelvin Cato and the great Chris Anstey (hailed as best running big man in the NBA, by the great Don Nelson). In recent years, how about your Mavs drafting Nick Fazekas and Mo Ager in recent years, then shipping them out as trade fodder. Or courting and signing the likes of free agent types Trenton Hassell, Anthony Johnson, and Austin Croshere. And probably their biggest and most recent blunder, the recent trading away of a young PG in Devin Harris for an old PG in Jason Kidd, along with two 1st round picks. In the process, adding more fat to an already-bloated, top-heavy payroll and making an old roster even older. That was just dumb. To compound matters, they followed that up with the brilliant, offseason of blowing their MLE wad on Desgana Diop, in yet another stroke of free agent idiocy.

Get that green monster off your back and lay blame where it really belongs - with the owner and FO of your own team.

Good post. Ghazi won't understand though, b/c you didn't use the word "fluke" every sentence.

Brickhouse
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM

:blah:blah :cheer:cheer:gpower

sribb43
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
"He likes us and we like him, and in those cases, things usually work out. He also likes to win a championship. ''....Mavs GM Donnie Nelson

Devean George :cheer
Doug Chrisite :cheer
Gerald Green :cheer
Greg Buckner :cheer
Eddie Jones :cheer
Anthony Johnson :cheer
Austin Croshere :cheer
Matt Carroll :cheer
Gana Diop :cheer
Ryan Hollins :cheer
James Singleton :cheer
Shawne Williams :cheer
Trenton Hassell :cheer
Mo Ager :cheer

Trainwreck2100
02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
"He likes us and we like him, and in those cases, things usually work out. He also likes to win a championship. ''....Mavs GM Donnie Nelson

Devean George :cheer
Doug Chrisite :cheer
Gerald Green :cheer
Greg Buckner :cheer
Eddie Jones :cheer
Anthony Johnson :cheer
Austin Croshere :cheer
Matt Carroll :cheer
Gana Diop :cheer
Ryan Hollins :cheer
James Singleton :cheer
Shawne Williams :cheer
Trenton Hassell :cheer
Mo Ager :cheer

That's nothing if not a muderer's row right there

sribb43
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
:cheer"We love our team":cheer

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07fh0P2ebQ3OC/610x.jpg

SenorSpur
02-19-2009, 10:17 PM

You can stand by your opinion, alright. In fact, you can put a chokehold leash on the muthafucker and call it what it really is - a dogshit opinion. :toast

ElNono
02-20-2009, 12:04 AM
I don't know what are you bitches whining about, considering you have the second best player in the entire NBA.

Yorae
02-20-2009, 06:47 AM

Oh did you fucking forget we have manu and tony you motherfucking faggot. You clearly have the same logic as sporkkiller. At least he has mentally deranged so he's got an excuse. Unless you are too....

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 07:49 AM
The Mavs still have plenty of veteran savvy and players with the ability to knock down timely 3's, such as Devean 'Championship Pedigree' George.

Ghazi
02-20-2009, 08:21 AM
I still feel the decline of our beloved mavs is a little overstated.

Granted, in 2006 we were the true NBA champions if not for bullshit shots by D-Whistle the primadonna wheelchair bitch sex addict drama queen who doesn't deserve his ring, and bullshit whistles by Bennett Salvatore the scum of the Earth, but quite frankly we were a little lucky that year. For one, we needed Manu's dumb foul in a game we blew a 20 PT lead in, for two the Suns were without Amare, and for three the 2006 Miami Cheat who don't deserve their ring was a cupcake opponent (although a lot of East teams except for Pistons/Celtics in last decade have been).

Assuming all the chips didn't fall our way that year, and assuming D-Whistle didn't hit his bullshit shots and Salvatore didn't blow his bullshit whistles, the "state of the Mavs" wouldn't appear as gloomy right now. Either we lose in the 2nd round and thus never tease the fans into thinking we're a Finals team, or we win the Finals and fans are content with our current state, since the Mavs are just 3 years removed from a championship.

But, it HAS been 3 years since that year. NBA teams have a product life cycle and have natural declines. From 60 to 67 to 51 to ... 50-51 again this year? It's not as bad as it sounds.

I'm not happy with it by any means, and perhaps with a brighter FO we would be in a little better shape, but it really is just the "cyclical" nature of the NBA. Every few years new contenders emerge to replace the old contenders. New mediocre teams replace the old mediocre teams, new atrocious teams replace the old atrocious teams. Etc.