PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Seek Exorcism Of Defensive Demons

duncan228
02-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Spurs seek exorcism of defensive demons (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_seek_exorcism_of_defensive_demons.html)
Jeff McDonald

NEW YORK — When it comes to peeking in on his team’s defensive ranking these days, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is a lot like an 8-year-old watching a monster movie.

He really wants to look. He just can’t bear to do it.

“It scares me to look,” Popovich said. “I just know we’re significantly lower than we have been in the past.”

In 11 full seasons on the Spurs’ bench, Popovich never has coached a team that finished outside the top five in field-goal percentage defense, the statistic he considers to be most telling of a team’s defensive competence.

One can imagine Popovich peeking at the leaguewide stat sheet through fingers over his eyes, then recoiling in horror at what jumps off the page: The Spurs allow foes to shoot 45.8 percent, 18th best in the NBA.

“We’re used to being top two or three every year,” Popovich said. “That’s obviously not the case right now.”

On the surface, there is much to like about the Spurs as they head into the regular season’s home stretch. At 35-16, they are four games ahead of the field in the Southwest Division, and have established themselves as a strong No. 2 to the L.A. Lakers in the Western Conference.

But Popovich — whose team, fresh off the All-Star break, resumes its rodeo road trip tonight against the Knicks — knows the Spurs will be judged solely on how deep they can play into the postseason. For that reason, he will continue to nitpick his team toward perfection.

Good thing for the Spurs there is plenty of room, and plenty of time, for improvement.

Four months into the season, they are still breaking in three players new to their regular rotation — Roger Mason Jr., George Hill and Matt Bonner.

Team defense is like a ballet. Each performer must perform his steps exactly right, in perfect time. If one dancer pirouettes instead of plies, “Swan Lake” just doesn’t look the same.

As such, the Spurs’ most glaring defensive troubles haven’t been glaring at all. They have been subtle. A blown rotation here, a failed close-out there. A missed assignment, a brain-lock on a double-team.

“We have three guys still learning the system,” Popovich said, “and it shows.”

Mason, who has emerged as the starting shooting guard after arriving via free agency during the summer, says the Spurs’ defensive system — with its unique rotation rules — is unlike anything he’s ever seen.

“It’s very different from what other teams do,” Mason said. “Like night and day.”

Hill, a rookie who has surfaced as the top backup to Tony Parker at the point, is one of the Spurs’ top on-the-ball defenders. Yet he still struggles with the team defensive concepts at times.

Bonner, a sharpshooting center in his third season with the Spurs, is further immersed in the team’s defensive scheme than the two newcomers to the system.

“There’s probably something wrong with me if I’m not at least starting to get the hang of it by now,” Bonner said.

Even Bonner, little-used until this season, still has much to learn.

“As he goes through the league, he’s learning how to play different guys,” Popovich said. “That’s something you only learn by playing.”

Tonight at Madison Square Garden, against a Knicks team averaging better than 105 points per game, the Spurs’ will find a sturdy test for their defense. They also will find a fitting reminder of how well they can play on that end of the court when they put it all together.

On Nov. 11 at the AT&T Center, the Spurs played what Popovich at the time called “our best defensive game of the season,” beating the high-octane Knicks 92-80 with both Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker on the bench with injuries.

Popovich hopes for a repeat performance in New York, then another repeat after that, and another after that.

Until that field-goal percentage ranking stops scaring him.

“It’s just a process we’re going through,” Popovich said. “At one point, we were 27th. Hopefully, we can be in the top 10 by the time playoffs come.”

Road trip recap

The Spurs are 3-2 thus far on their rodeo road trip, with three games remaining:

DATE — RESULT — HIGHLIGHT

*Feb. 2 — Spurs 110, Warriors 105 (OT) — Ginobili has season-high 32
*Feb. 3 — Nuggets 104, Spurs 96 — Spurs' Big Three all sit out
*Feb. 8 — Spurs 105, Celtics 99 — Spurs 11 straight in last 0:45
*Feb. 10 — Spurs 108, Nets 93 — Bonner has 22 points
*Feb. 11 — Raptors 91, Spurs 89 — Parker misses shot at buzzer
*Left: Tonight at Knicks, Thursday at Pistons, Saturday at Wizards

phyzik
02-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Pop is the man!

m33p0
02-17-2009, 03:08 AM
“It’s just a process we’re going through,” Popovich said. “At one point, we were 27th. Hopefully, we can be in the top 10 by the time playoffs come.”
unreal.

Mr Bones
02-17-2009, 03:34 AM
...the Spurs’ defensive system — with its unique rotation rules — is unlike anything he’s ever seen.

“It’s very different from what other teams do,” Mason said. “Like night and day.”

:toast Exactly...

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Meh. With the failed D innovations to start the season, as well as so many minutes this year going to new players(Farmer, Hairston, Croshere, AT, Hill, Mason, Blake), and having Bonner AND Fin in the starting lineup, as well as Fab and KT taking so long to dethaw, being better than 9th in opponent FG% to end the season will be a huge achievement.

Plus, with The Gist gracing Timmy with his presence next season, all bets are off.

raspsa
02-17-2009, 05:09 AM

What exactly is so different about how the Spurs play defense. Its well known that they like to funnel penetrating foes toward Duncan and othe other bigs, they try to be quick to close out the perimeter threats.. but how different and difficult is it really to learn the Spurs defensive scheme? I don't think these guys have low BB IQsand I think they are all motivated.

jmard5
02-17-2009, 05:31 AM

What exactly is so different about how the Spurs play defense. Its well known that they like to funnel penetrating foes toward Duncan and othe other bigs, they try to be quick to close out the perimeter threats.. but how different and difficult is it really to learn the Spurs defensive scheme? I don't think these guys have low BB IQsand I think they are all motivated.

Obviously, there's more to it than just funneling players into the big men. If it is that easy, then more teams should be easily doing that by now.

I hope you're just being funny. :p:

JPB
02-17-2009, 05:56 AM

Rotations.

Players has to be at the right place at the right time, or the whole defense is screwed.
To do so, steps and movements has to be a bit different from "usual" defense movements.

raspsa
02-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Rotations.

Players has to be at the right place at the right time, or the whole defense is screwed.
To do so, steps and movements has to be a bit different from "usual" defense movements.

I'm just trying to understand the Spurs struggles this year. Granted they're trying to integrate the new guys. Manu and Parker came back from injuries.. that must have something to do with it.. perhaps the bigger factor is the limited playing time Bowen has had and to a certain degree Oberto's reduced role..

mudyez
02-17-2009, 07:39 AM
yeah...its as simple as that: bowen stoll is one of the best defenders and giving him less playing time has a lot to do with the situation...same with bonner the other way around...and while I'm not against playing more offensively, I think we should try to get the defense where it needs to be come playoff time...maybe playing bowen and thomas as starters or at least giving them more time on the court