PDA

View Full Version : Ok now seriously....

texbumTHElife
03-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Is there a mass ref conspiracy versus us? This is like 5-6 game snow where the refs have just totally bent us over and had there way with us.

Walton Buys Off Me
03-06-2005, 09:08 PM
I still wanna know where Stern finds these idiots......they set the game back fifty years.

texbumTHElife
03-06-2005, 09:10 PM
I mean, I do realize its a very difficult job vut something just hasnt seemed right since the All-Star break. Not only are we playing light complete ass on offense and defense but the refs seem to be hatin like crazy.

I guess I am just looking for anyone else who has noticed this or agrees with me.

NCaliSpurs
03-06-2005, 10:25 PM
I think in usual circumstances, I would call you crazy.

But beginning with that Grizzlies game, they have been a lot more "objective", wink wink.

TwoHandJam
03-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Horry's 3 shot "foul" at the half was the highlight of the night I thought.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh geez, I had forgot about Horry's "foul." Tonight's refs sucked.

T Park
03-07-2005, 12:29 AM
The NBA refs, are the worst officiating crews in sports.

PERIOD.

TIMVP and Smeagol, and all them can defend those jerkoffs for years.

The refs suck period.

Its a joke.

timvp
03-07-2005, 03:54 AM
Only weak teams, players and fans lean on the refs as a reason for a loss. Basketball is a tough game to ref and NBA refs are some of the best in the world.

Don't hate.

orhe
03-07-2005, 04:31 AM
yeah come on... throughout the league fans call the spurs as the sterns...
they hate us for "getting" too many calls
etc etc
there's always two sides to a coin :)

texbumTHElife
03-07-2005, 04:37 AM
First of all I did acknowledge the fact that its a very difficult job. Second of all I made sure to mention I have only felt this way since the All-Star break. I think Tim Duncan gets away with as many or more fouls than anyone else in the league. With that said I wonder if there way of making up for giving Tim tons of slack down low is by calling pety stuff on the rest of the team.

timvp, we didnt lose so it would be kind of hard for me to lean on the refs for a loss. I have been pretty vocal about the fact that I think the Spurs havent been playing up to their potential and that is the usual reason for close games and losses. I have however noticed a dramatic trend lately with very inconsisten officiating. Maybe the reason I think the Spurs games are so suspect is because I dont get to see a lot of other games. Perhaps all of the NBA has been getting this horrible officiating. I am not sure. I just know the officiating of Spurs games in particular has been terrible.

san antonio spurs
03-07-2005, 06:19 AM
so we got some kings fans here AKA cry babies.
________
PRILOSEC SETTLEMENT UPDATE (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

Kaster
03-07-2005, 06:28 AM
Main Entry: iro·ny
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler
1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony
2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance

xcoriate
03-07-2005, 06:43 AM
Over 82 game for 30 teams it generally evens out, the refs have a tough job.

Nba refs are indeed some of the best in the world.

Complaining about reffing is a weak cop out, it fails to look at where the real weaknesses stood.

MosesGuthrie
03-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Nice to see a Laker fan defining irony. Straight from the "if anyone should know, we should" file.

TwoHandJam
03-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Over 82 game for 30 teams it generally evens out, the refs have a tough job.

Nba refs are indeed some of the best in the world.

Complaining about reffing is a weak cop out, it fails to look at where the real weaknesses stood.
No, weak is the regurgitated mantra that there is nothing wrong with the reffing in the NBA. The truth is that any organization that polices itself is doomed to corruption and mediocrity. How many officials have been canned over the years, a handful? And these have been the absolute worst of the lot where even the masses knew they sucked.

This whole business of reffing "performance evaluations" that goes on behind closed doors and is overseen by the "director of officials" - a referee himself, is bullshit. There is a reason that the "brotherhood" of police officers for example is overseen by the dept. of internal affairs - a neutral 3rd party organization, imagine that. But I guess NBA officials can be counted on to police their own with no accountability to any neutral body.

What's really weak is guys like timvp claiming that people complain only when they lose. Hello? We won last night and the refs totally sucked ass on both sides.

No one is denying that basketball is an incredibly difficult sport to officiate but I'm convinced the NBA can do a much better job. They do have some of the best in the business but they also have a lot of chaff among the wheat. Saying that "it all evens out over a season" is the real cop out. Basketball fans shouldn't have to settle for mediocrity.

I've already discussed some things the NBA can do to improve here. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11599)

maxpower
03-07-2005, 10:40 AM
The issue started about the conspiracy the refs had against the Spurs. That is different from how good or bad the refs are in general. Different issues.

I didn't feel yesterday's game was called anti-Spur. I've felt that some games but not yesterday. As a matter of fact I did feel at one point if I were a Jazz fan I would be cursing the officials to high heaven, mainly during the stretch where Manu and whatshisface were going back and forth. I think as an opposing fan I would have said Manu was overfaking that final foul when he was grabbed by the arm on his way toward the sideline near center court which caused him to fall and slide into the scorer's table.
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I just didn't get the feeling of a concerted effort from the officials against the Spurs.

Jimcs50
03-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Horry did hit the wrist, that was a foul. Horry did not ever argue, he was embarassed, but he did not argue.

The worst screwup was the refs forgetting that Harpring only got 1 FT instead of 2. They called a jump ball and had Utah gotten the tip and scored, it might have been a 4 pt play.

Also they missed 2 traveling calls on one possession that led to a basket and a foul, when it should have been Spurs ball.

Rummpd
03-07-2005, 11:22 AM
"First of all I did acknowledge the fact that its a very difficult job. Second of all I made sure to mention I have only felt this way since the All-Star break. I think Tim Duncan gets away with as many or more fouls than anyone else in the league. With that said I wonder if there way of making up for giving Tim tons of slack down low is by calling pety stuff on the rest of the team.
timvp, we didnt lose so it would be kind of hard for me to lean on the refs for a loss. I have been pretty vocal about the fact that I think the Spurs havent been playing up to their potential and that is the usual reason for close games and losses. I have however noticed a dramatic trend lately with very inconsisten officiating. Maybe the reason I think the Spurs games are so suspect is because I dont get to see a lot of other games. Perhaps all of the NBA has been getting this horrible officiating. I am not sure. I just know the officiating of Spurs games in particular has been terrible."

Huh? There is a guy called Shaq that fouls on nearly every offensive play and gets away with murdur etc. Duncan does not get away with fouls, he gets fouled countless times each game that are not called. In the LA series his mauling by Malone et. al. was just absurd.