PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Chandler to Thunder?

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 01:21 PM
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive
The New Orleans Hornets and Oklahoma City are closing in on a deal that will send center Tyson Chandler to the Thunder, according to NBA front-office sources.

Two sources with knowledge of the trade parameters told ESPN.com that the deal is likely to be completed later Tuesday.

Although the entirety of the package New Orleans would receive for Chandler was not immediately known, ESPN.com reported early Monday that the Hornets -- who are looking to move Chandler mostly for financial reasons -- were in talks with the Thunder on a trade that would net the expiring contracts of forwards Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox.

The Thunder also possess numerous draft picks to sweeten trade packages, including five first-round picks in the next two drafts.

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Just thought that you all would like to see this. Any ideas who the Hornets are getting? And does this help the Spurs in the division?

Sigz
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
*To Thunder

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 01:23 PM
*To Thunder

Yes thank you.... kinda got my teams mixed up lol!!!

Spurs Brazil
Hornets have no chance now.

Chandler worked very well with CP3

Manufan909
Fuck, I wanted him or Wilcox. Damn, they're both out of the pic if this shit goes down.

dougp
Fix the title, it's a bit confusing

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Fix the title, it's a bit confusing

lol i know, not sure how though... im still a noob here

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 01:25 PM
:toast aha, fixed it. MUAHAHAHA!!! Sorry for the confusion all. :toast

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 01:28 PM
How do you fix it, Idk since i've never fucked up a thread title before.

I Love Me Some Me
02-17-2009, 01:29 PM
What's Chandler make, and whaddaya say Presti throws us a bone and sends him over here for Mahimni and some spare parts?

Darkwaters
02-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Good move for the Hornets. Chandler is a good player, but more importantly, hes a member of the very popular Oklahoma City Hornets squad of yesteryear. Having him in a Thunder uni will help on the fanfront.

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 01:30 PM
How do you fix it, Idk since i've never fucked up a thread title before.

Edit the first post.

z0sa
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Chandler was NO's only chance at stopping Tim 1on1 - they often doubled still, but only when Tyson was getting into (foul) trouble. Now they dont got jack to stop Tim.

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I am really curious as to who is included in the package.

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Was anyone else hoping for Chandler, or am I alone?

DBMethos
02-17-2009, 01:35 PM
I have no problem with NO shipping Chandler to OKC. None whatsoever. :toast

xellos88330
Was anyone else hoping for Chandler, or am I alone?

I was wanting him. Wasn't likely, but still would have been nice.

xtremesteven33
Thank you Byron :toast

Mr Bones
02-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Sad that New Orleans, while selling out every game at home, and after dealing with Katrina, still has to dump salary to save money. Chris Paul won't be happy. I saw an interview with him last year where he said he hoped that he and Chandler would play their entire careers together.

mudyez
02-17-2009, 01:36 PM
no more cp3 to chandler hoops?

:(

really nice young core the thunder have...props to presti

timvp
02-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you Byron :toast

?

timvp
02-17-2009, 01:47 PM
This is part of the reason why I didn't jump on the "Hornets are the future champs" bandwagon last season. Inconsistent, injury prone players with a relatively poor owner is just asking for the team to be broken up.

I will sleep peacefully tonight if we never have to see that Paul to Chandler alleyoop again :D

xtremesteven33
02-17-2009, 01:47 PM
?

Chandler was the best guard on Duncan in the NBA.

Manufan909
02-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I want TP9 to Tyson oops.:depressed

SO timvp, are you going to write game thoughts for the Raptor game?

tmtcsc
02-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Agreed. They just threw in the towel to save $$. Bad deal.
W/O Chandler, the Hornets will be even easier to beat.

tlongII
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm certainly happy about this move as it removes the Hornets from our playoff path. Big Ups to Sam Presti! :tu

Darkwaters
02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
So begins the Hilton Armstrong era.

Might be a rough era in New Orleans.

timvp
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Chandler was the best guard on Duncan in the NBA.Byron is the coach. I'm sure he took this news kicking and screaming.

Especially when it comes to matching up with Duncan :hat

ss1986v2
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
its a bad trade for the hornets from a talent perspective. but they save a good bit of cash with it, so i get it.

and maybe im alone, but id be willing to bet that if wilcox is ever going to be marginally good, then its chris paul thats going to drag it out of him. look what he did to chandler when he first showed up in new orleans. i really think paul can make just about anyone look good. plus joe smith aint chopped liver either.

MoSpur
02-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Why is NOLA clearing cap space? Are they rebuilding?

timvp
02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Why is NOLA clearing cap space? Are they rebuilding?They're broke.

tmtcsc
02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
plus joe smith aint chopped liver either.

Joe Smith 2009 is chopped something.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-17-2009, 02:15 PM
It's amazing what Presti is doing in OKC... and on top of this they have 5 first round picks in the next 2 years.

Twisted_Dawg
02-17-2009, 02:16 PM
I am wondering where the league, Nike, and the networks will move Cp3 to when his contract expires?

Twisted_Dawg
02-17-2009, 02:16 PM
They're broke.

They're broke dicks.

crc21209
02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Well there goes a possibility of Chandler, Wilcox, or Smith here. Hmmmm....Sheed anyone? lol

02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
funny how they signed posey to a five year contract then chuck chandler away for money reasons. chandler was getting pretty good as a defender against duncan. now that he's gone, it's one less team to worry about in the future.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Chandler was the best guard on Duncan in the NBA.

That would be Rasheed Wallace or Kurt Thomas.

DPG21920
02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
The trade is done.

The Oklahoma City Thunder have completed a trade for New Orleans Hornets center Tyson Chandler, an NBA source said Tuesday.

The Hornets had been looking to trade Chandler, who has two more years worth $25.4 million left on his contract, for salary-cap relief. The Thunder give up forwards Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith and the draft rights to DeVon Hardin.

crc21209
02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Done Deal.

Sources: Thunder get Chandler

The New Orleans Hornets and Oklahoma City Thunder have completed a deal that sends center Tyson Chandler to the Thunder, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources with knowledge of the trade parameters told ESPN.com that the deal was
approved by the league office Tuesday afternoon, with the Hornets receiving forwards
Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox in exchange for their best interior defender.

The deal has yet to be announced by the teams, but sources say that the Hornets will also receive the draft rights to Devon Hardin, who was selected No. 50 overall by the Thunder in the 2008 draft.

The Hornets play Tuesday night against the Thunder in Oklahoma City but the players involved in the trade are not expected to participate in the game.

ESPN.com reported early Monday that the Hornets -- who have been looking to move Chandler mostly for financial reasons -- were in talks with the Thunder on a trade that would net the expiring contracts of Smith and Wilcox. Thunder general manager Sam Presti is a long-time admirer of Chandler dating to his time with the San Antonio Spurs.

The Thunder also possess numerous draft picks to sweeten trade packages -- including five first-round picks in the next two drafts -- but Presti was able to land an accomplished center to complement his promising young trio of Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Jeff Green without surrendering any major draft considerations.

With a payroll at nearly $67 million this season and scheduled to reach almost $77 million next season, New Orleans felt it had to part with Chandler before Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline regardless, even though dealing away the 26-year-old almost certainly takes the Hornets out of serious playoff contention in the West.

The Hornets were widely projected as a dark-horse title contender entering the season but hit the All-Star break as the No. 6 team in the West at 30-20 after a variety of injuries and struggles to cope with raised expectations. Chandler has been bothered all season by foot troubles and is averaging just 8.8 points and 8.3 rebounds, compared to 11.8 points and 11.7 rebounds last season.

With the Hornets unable to generate trade interest in Peja Stojakovic and unwilling to part with either Chris Paul or David West, New Orleans elected to take this deal to erase Chandler's $12.3 million salary next season from its payroll. Chandler has the right to become a free agent after the 2009-10 season in the unlikely event that he chooses to walk away from his $13.2 million salary in 2010-11.

At the Hornets' Tuesday morning shootaround in Oklahoma City, West told the New Orleans Times Picayune that he was hoping his team would resist the trade interest in Chandler.

"I don't know if that's somebody we can afford to lose,'' West told the newspaper. "So I'm not sold on that idea. You just don't find a 7-foot-1 athlete like that and he's the only 7-footer we have. Especially if we're planning on making a run into the playoffs, we're going to need size to compete with Portland, San Antonio and the Lakers. I'm not sure that would help us.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3913301

pad300
02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
If this deal is only the Expirings for Chandler, then SAS should try/have tried to hijack chandler. His contract is better than VC's (whom we are supposedly interested in), and he fits better positionally.

Assuming only expirings, OKC is sending 11.5$ million of expirings for 11.3 Million of Chandler... Net loss for NO this year of 0.2 Million...

SAS could put together a package that could save NO money this year and effectively expires (the cba says we would need to send back a minimum of 8.96 Million). Oberto, Vaughn, Thomas, + Cash to buy out Oberto's partial Guarantee is a better financial deal for NO... They buy out Oberto (and I assume he resigns with us...). If need be, include splitter's rights. Alternatively, a similar package could be made with Oberto, Finley, Bowen. With either Bowen or OBerto being bought out, preferably Bowen.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
It's amazing what Presti is doing in OKC... and on top of this they have 5 first round picks in the next 2 years.

I agree here, they might suck right now but they'll be contenders in a few years. The one concern about Chandler is how he needs to be involved in the offense in order to be good on defense, similar to a lot of big men. Back in Chicago he was crappy at both ends, Chris Paul getting him those 10-12 points got him going on defense.

Brandon Jennings would give them a small but effective lineup:

PG - Jennings
SG - Westbrook
SF - Durant
PF - Green
C - Chandler

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
If this deal is only the Expirings for Chandler, then SAS should try/have tried to hijack chandler. His contract is better than VC's (whom we are supposedly interested in), and he fits better positionally.

I'm sure New Orleans learned from Phoenix's mistake of trading with Sam Presti and put a certain clause in the deal about who Chandler can be traded to. If they seriously did nothing to get in the way of Presti dealing Chandler to SA after seeing the KT situation last year, all I have to say is, that's irresponsible.

toki9
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
And the Thunder and the Hornets play each other tonight...that's gotta be weird...

urunobili
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
I think the Hornets now have 2 very good big men... both Smith and Wilcox could give us some problems... I think the Hornets shredded salary and stood pat...

DBMethos
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
C'mon Sam...do it!

Duncan2177
02-17-2009, 02:39 PM
The hornets are idiots.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Hey the Suns playoff chances go up now, yay!!!!

WildcardManu
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Wtf 5 first round picks over the next 2 seasons for OKC.

timvp
02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
The Hornets will still be really good but there's no way this trade doesn't make them worse.

K-State Spur
02-17-2009, 02:54 PM

offensively that's an upgrade. smith gives them a guy who can hit an occasional jumpshot (something i never saw chandler do once in his entire career), and wilcox can finish those alley-oops almost as well.

but they just lost their only real defensive-minded post and shot-blocker. historically - including this year - the Spurs have gone on a lay-up drill every time Chandler has been out of the game.

WildcardManu
02-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm sure New Orleans learned from Phoenix's mistake of trading with Sam Presti and put a certain clause in the deal about who Chandler can be traded to. If they seriously did nothing to get in the way of Presti dealing Chandler to SA after seeing the KT situation last year, all I have to say is, that's irresponsible.

Chandler to SA, make it happen.

K-State Spur
02-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure I like this trade from the Thunder perspective.

Chandler is a very good defensive big (although he really doesn't block as many shots as you'd think), but without Chris Paul - he's maybe the worst offensive center in the league (at least of 5s playing on contenders).

Without those alley-oops finishes, he basically Sagana Diop...at almost twice the salary.

K-State Spur
02-17-2009, 03:00 PM

We wouldn't touch that salary with a 250 foot pole.

WildcardManu
02-17-2009, 03:02 PM
We wouldn't touch that salary with a 250 foot pole.

:lol

timvp
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM

Chandler is a very good defensive big (although he really doesn't block as many shots as you'd think), but without Chris Paul - he's maybe the worst offensive center in the league (at least of 5s playing on contenders).

Without those alley-oops finishes, he basically Sagana Diop...at an even HIGHER salary.Durant doesn't pass anyways. Might as well tell Chandler to hit the offensive boards and try to score that way.

And for a team that has drafted about a half dozen centers in the last few years, filling that hole with an NBA level player is a big move in the right direction. Especially considering that Chandler is still young.

Buddy Holly
02-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Sad that New Orleans, while selling out every game at home

They don't sell out every home game.

Buddy Holly
02-17-2009, 03:05 PM

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=dbyr9f

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Without those alley-oops finishes, he basically Sagana Diop...at almost twice the salary.

And the thing about Chandler is he loses a lot of defensive intensity when he's not involved in the offense. I don't get why so many big men are like that but they are.

K-State Spur
02-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Durant doesn't pass anyways. Might as well tell Chandler to hit the offensive boards and try to score that way.

And for a team that has drafted about a half dozen centers in the last few years, filling that hole with an NBA level player is a big move in the right direction. Especially considering that Chandler is still young.

It's not so much that I hate the move from a basketball perspective. OKC has 3 young scorers, with a couple more possibly developing.

But man, $12 million/year through 2011 for a guy to hit the boards and block 1.5 shots per game?

I know they have room under the cap with all those rookie deals, but still...

Should have just traded for Diop and you get 85% of the production for 50% the price. ...And you're still overpaying.

lefty
02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
this is part of the reason why i didn't jump on the "hornets are the future champs" bandwagon last season. Inconsistent, injury prone players with a relatively poor owner is just asking for the team to be broken up.

I will sleep peacefully tonight if we never have to see that paul to chandler alleyoop again :d

+1

bigdog
02-17-2009, 03:13 PM
well, the hornets should be easier to beat now. i got so sick and tired of seeing any play that involved CP3 and Chandler.

I'm just hoping that CP3 doesn't create that kind of chemistry with Wilcox.

Texas_Ranger
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM
well Sean Marks will now have to make some aleyoops.

SenorSpur
02-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Just thought that you all would like to see this. Any ideas who the Hornets are getting? And does this help the Spurs in the division?

Hornets owner George Shinn is a dumb-ass. He just killed his team's hopes of advancing. Definitely helps the Spurs in the division, but probably reduces any possible hopes of the Spurs getting a big via trade.

MoSpur
02-17-2009, 03:31 PM
The alley-oops from CP3 to Chandler killed the Spurs. It seemd like they could run that play every third possesion and it would work for them.

Mr Bones
02-17-2009, 03:31 PM
This trade should serve as a cautionary tale that highlights how difficult it is to build and maintain a championship caliber team-- something the Spurs have done for nearly two straight decades now, but the Hornets were only able to do for a tad over one full season.
The Thunder look very good now too, but remember, all of their positive attributes are mere potential-- they are still a team with a record of 13-40 afterall-- and have a long way to go before ever being mentioned in the same breath with any of the Spurs' teams of the last decade.

SenorSpur
02-17-2009, 03:33 PM
This trade should serve as a cautionary tale that highlights how difficult it is to build and maintain a championship caliber team-- something the Spurs have done for nearly two straight decades now, but the Hornets were only able to do for a tad over one full season.
The Thunder look very good now too, but remember, all of their positive attributes are mere potential-- they are still a team with a record of 13-40 afterall-- and have a long way to go before ever being mentioned in the same breath with any of the Spurs' teams of the last decade.

Agreed. But imagine how the fortunes of that franchise will turn if they somehow win the NBA draft lottery and the right to select OU's Blake Griffin.

Mr Bones
02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Agreed. But imagine how the fortunes of that franchise will turn if they somehow win the NBA draft lottery and the right to select OU's Blake Griffin.

Very true. I want to emphasize that I do think OK is doing a great job of rebuilding. I'm not criticizing them at all. I just had a little epiphany there that I, like probably most Spurs' fans, can easily forget sometimes how good the Spurs are and have been.

mardigan
02-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Damn, that would be scary.

Mr Bones
02-17-2009, 03:46 PM
New Orleans' record this year with Chandler in line up: 21-11
Without him: 9-9

Mr Bones
02-17-2009, 03:53 PM
They don't sell out every home game.

:toast Nice catch-- my mistake... I was remembering an article about how attendance was up, but I rechecked and, like you said, they don't sell out every home game.

Creation88
02-17-2009, 03:55 PM
cross the hornets off the list.

Blackjack
02-17-2009, 04:03 PM
It's not so much that I hate the move from a basketball perspective. OKC has 3 young scorers, with a couple more possibly developing.

But man, $12 million/year through 2011 for a guy to hit the boards and block 1.5 shots per game?

I know they have room under the cap with all those rookie deals, but still...

Should have just traded for Diop and you get 85% of the production for 50% the price. ...And you're still overpaying.

:tu

The Spurs, with Presti, did attempt on more than one occassion to aquire Chandler, so it does allow the mind to wonder...

I agree with the notion of the Spurs avoiding that albatross of a contract, and your general assessment of Chandler as a whole, but hearing Tim's roundtable interview with espn radio, he basically described Chandler to the "T" of his first name.(Athletic, energetic, shot-blocking/rebounding big, that can run the floor)

I don't believe we're going to see Presti turn around and trade him to the Spurs, but I'd be lying if there wasn't a little place in the back of my mind thinking, "Ya know, what would be a better Fah-Q to the league, from Pop and one of his deciples, than pulling their own Gasol deal, after all the hubub surrounding the trade from last year?":smokin

well Sean Marks will now have to make some aleyoops.

Wilcox might just get himself a nice big contract with this relocation.

I've said it before, but Wilcox is capable of doing a pretty good Amare impersonation on a given night. You give him a point-guard, the caliber of CP3, that can spoon-feed him the way Nash does for Amare?

Like I said, Wilcox could be looking at a nice fat check next year.

Bruno
02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
This trade clearly show what everybody is saying : buyers are in the driver seat for this deadline. Chandler is a good player with a big but not horrible contract and Thunder got him for average players with expiring contracts.

If Spurs are ready to take players with post 2010 contracts, they will be able to get quality players(s), even with their limited assets.

xtremesteven33
02-17-2009, 04:09 PM
This trade clearly show what everybody is saying : buyers are in the driver seat for this deadline. Chandler is a good player with a big but not horrible contract and Thunder got him for average players with expiring contracts.

If Spurs are ready to take players with post 2010 contracts, they will be able to get quality players(s), even with their limited assets.

Marcus Camby??

SenorSpur
02-17-2009, 04:10 PM

True. Remember how Denver basically gave away Marcus Camby to the Clippers.

DDS4
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
1) Devin Harris goes East? check
2) Suns imploding? check
3) No more CP3 alley-oops to Chandler? check

Not too shabby.....

tmtcsc
02-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Marcus Camby??

That would put us over the top for sure. Done deal. He's the # 1 realistic candidate I would want for this team.

baseline bum
02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Come on RC; Horry for Posey! Saves the Hornets $19.5 million for a guy they probably regret signing.

baseline bum
02-17-2009, 04:27 PM
1) Devin Harris goes East? check
2) Suns imploding? check
3) No more CP3 alley-oops to Chandler? check

Not too shabby.....

Too bad it was completely offset by Pao Gasol going West for absolutely nothing. :pctoss

1Parker1
02-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Chandler wasn't doing anything for the Hornets this season and has been very inconsistent all season long.

PDXSpursFan
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
this trade is the price that the Hornets FO have to pay for overpaying Peja 2 year ago :bang

baseline bum
02-17-2009, 04:53 PM
I think it's a good move for NO. No way Chandler's worth $25 million over the next two seasons; not when he's averaging 9 points and 8 boards in 30 minutes a night while being spoonfed by Chris Paul. Paul reminds me a bit of Stockton in his ability to make bad players look decent.

crc21209
02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
I think this helps the Spurs greatly, because we could never seem to stop that damn alley oop in last years playoffs, and Wilcox and Smith are easier to guard than Chandler, and theyre not as tough defensively as Chandler was either.

EricB
02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
The only reason this is a downfall for New Orleans, is their defense just became really bad. Look at the Spurs game back in January as an example. Ginobili and Parker drove at will on the Hornets, and I'm afraid now the Hornets are a 1 round and done team again. Just like they were in 2005.

easy7
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
It is a done deal.
Thunder get Chandler from Hornets
link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3913301

baseline bum
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
This trade is the greatest thing to ever happen to Chris Wilcox. I predict Chris Paul is going to make a lot of money for Wilcox on his next contract in the next couple of months.

EricB
02-17-2009, 05:12 PM
This trade is the greatest thing to ever happen to Chris Wilcox. I predict Chris Paul is going to make a lot of money for Wilcox on his next contract in the next couple of months.

Wilcox 2009 = Beno Udrih 2008

mudyez
02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
really like it for presti:
chandler
green
durant
insert random shooter
westbrook

...thats a darn good lineup in a few years

EricB
02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah the Thunder are REALLY setting themselves up to be a good team next year.

Presti is recovering from a mediocre off season.

DPG21920
02-17-2009, 06:44 PM
chandler
green
durant
insert random shooter
westbrook

Except if Green is your PF, then he is going to get murdered.

xellos88330
02-17-2009, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't mind OKC having something to cheer about.

LongtimeSpursFan
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Pretty much guarantees a Spurs-Lakers WCF! I dont see any team that can beat the Spurs or Lakers in a 7 game series.

BRHornet45
02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
sons stop saying that New Orleans is "broke" .... they are making profit and have been since last season. The Hornets are NO DIFFERENT than MOST other NBA teams in that they did not want to pay over the luxury tax next season. Paul will be getting NBA top dollar starting next season, Peja's $14-15 million, West, and Chandler would have put the Hornets well over the salary cap. MOST NBA teams are trying to avoid going over. We can blame Peja's bullshit inflated salary for this. He isn't worth half of what he makes. At the time of the signing, they knew they overpaid, but now it is biting them in the ass. It just sucks that we couldn't have found a desperate team in need of a 3 point shooter and dump Peja.

Chandler was a HUGE key to the Hornets success .... I will even say that he was the 2nd best player on the team behind Paul. His offense may not show it, but the chemistry he had with Paul and his defensive presence under the basket was priceless.

Ocotillo
02-17-2009, 08:27 PM
chandler
green
durant
insert random shooter
westbrook

They need Bonner.

intlspurshk
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Does that mean OKC big men are available

ESP the newly signed center from Europe

TDMVPDPOY
02-17-2009, 11:55 PM
wilcox is a avg offensive player, but he attacks the rim real hard which is good about him, he will try and dunk it on every possession to score or draw a foul, he brings the toughness.....

duncan228
02-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Instant Analysis: Hornets-Thunder trade (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Instant_Analysis_Hornets-Thunder_trade.html)
Express-News

Express-News NBA writer Mike Monroe takes a look at Tuesday’s trade that sent Tyson Chandler from the Hornets to the Thunder:

The Hornets took the Spurs to a seventh game in their Western Conference playoff series last spring behind Chris Paul and David West, but Tyson Chandler’s ability to keep Tim Duncan from dominating in the low post was no small factor in a series Gregg Popovich admitted he was shocked the Spurs won.

At 7-foot-1, Chandler is the fastest, most athletic big man in the NBA since David Robinson. He’s no future Hall of Famer, as Robinson is, but he is a gifted interior defender and a tireless rebounder.

Now, Chandler is headed to Oklahoma City, and in return the Hornets got an aging Joe Smith — whose lasting legacy will be the illegal contract he negotiated with the Timberwolves — and Chris Wilcox, career underachiever.

New Orleans also will get DeVon Hardin, a second-round pick out of California in last year’s draft who never signed with Oklahoma City. But that will be small consolation for Hornets players and fans who will rightly conclude that their 2009 NBA Finals dream just ended.

This was a deal rooted firmly in the recession, and it is not unfair to ask if the Hornets’ future in New Orleans must once again be questioned. Chandler has not had as good a season as the Hornets had hoped, but his $12.3 million contract, not disappointing play, drove this trade.

Thunder general manager Sam Presti continues to show why Gregg Popovich once called him the Spurs’ resident genius. If the season began tomorrow, the Thunder would be a Western Conference playoff contender, and Presti still has a bunch of first-round draft picks stockpiled.

BWS-1994
02-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Does that mean OKC big men are available

ESP the newly signed center from Europe

Nenad Krstic.

I was also thinking that maybe he or Nick Collison are now expendable?

Manufan909
02-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Get one of them RC!!!

TDMVPDPOY
02-18-2009, 02:17 AM
imagine if the thunder signs someone like boozer......

they be setup perfectly....

02-18-2009, 02:32 AM
too bad lakers seem to be immune to luxury tax concerns. they will already be over the luxury tax with only 8 players next year. i keep reading that the luxury tax threshold will actually go down next year, putting more teams in the red area. lakers should trade gasol for cap relief.

crc21209
02-18-2009, 02:39 AM
Hornets Offered Chandler To Bulls

Tyson Chandler was offered back to Chicago for Joakim Noah and the expiring contract of Drew Gooden before New Orleans dealt the former Bull to Oklahoma City, Mike McGraw of the Daily Herald is reporting.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57338/20090218/hornets_offered_chandler_to_bulls/#

popshark86
02-18-2009, 05:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3__lnOGJAA

tmtcsc
02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Chandler wasn't doing anything for the Hornets this season and has been very inconsistent all season long.

That's directly correlated to the Hornets struggles this season, IMO.

SenorSpur
02-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Instant Analysis: Hornets-Thunder trade (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Instant_Analysis_Hornets-Thunder_trade.html)
Express-News

Express-News NBA writer Mike Monroe takes a look at Tuesday’s trade that sent Tyson Chandler from the Hornets to the Thunder:

The Hornets took the Spurs to a seventh game in their Western Conference playoff series last spring behind Chris Paul and David West, but Tyson Chandler’s ability to keep Tim Duncan from dominating in the low post was no small factor in a series Gregg Popovich admitted he was shocked the Spurs won.

At 7-foot-1, Chandler is the fastest, most athletic big man in the NBA since David Robinson. He’s no future Hall of Famer, as Robinson is, but he is a gifted interior defender and a tireless rebounder.

Now, Chandler is headed to Oklahoma City, and in return the Hornets got an aging Joe Smith — whose lasting legacy will be the illegal contract he negotiated with the Timberwolves — and Chris Wilcox, career underachiever.

New Orleans also will get DeVon Hardin, a second-round pick out of California in last year’s draft who never signed with Oklahoma City. But that will be small consolation for Hornets players and fans who will rightly conclude that their 2009 NBA Finals dream just ended.

This was a deal rooted firmly in the recession, and it is not unfair to ask if the Hornets’ future in New Orleans must once again be questioned. Chandler has not had as good a season as the Hornets had hoped, but his $12.3 million contract, not disappointing play, drove this trade.

Thunder general manager Sam Presti continues to show why Gregg Popovich once called him the Spurs’ resident genius. If the season began tomorrow, the Thunder would be a Western Conference playoff contender, and Presti still has a bunch of first-round draft picks stockpiled.

It burns me up that the Thunder were able obtain Chandler and not have to give up one of those precious 1st round picks they have stockpiled. Meanwhile, the Spurs obtained KT last year, from them, and were virtually held hostage for their 2009 1st round pick. :bang

Steve-O-Matic
02-18-2009, 11:01 PM
ESPN is reporting this trade has been riscinded.

SenorSpur
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Wow! Do the Spurs have a chance?