PDA

View Full Version : NBA: The Four Best Teams Down The Stretch

duncan228
02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
NBA: The four best teams down the stretch (http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11722008?source=rss)
By Lorem Ipsum
The Salt Lake Tribune

1. L.A. Lakers

The Skinny » The Lakers are the highest scoring team in the league (108.6), but they also rank first in rebounding and fifth in defensive field-goal percentage. They can win with offense or defense and they can win on the road, where they are 18-6. Finally, Kobe Bryant remains one of the game's most cold-blooded closers.

"The Lakers will be hard to catch. But you never know what can happen in the playoffs." -- Spurs guard Tony Parker.

Odds of winning it all » 2-to-1

2. Boston Celtics

The Skinny » The Celtics aren't as deep as the other contenders, but the Big Three of Kevin Garnett, Paul Piece and Ray Allen has them atop the East again. One of the best defensive teams in the league, Boston holds its opponents to 92 points per game on 42 percent shooting, which keeps Boston in every game. They've lost only four times by more than 10 points.

"People respect the fact we won last year, but that doesn't get us anywhere now." -- Celtics forward Paul Pierce

Odds of winning it all » 3-to-1

3. San Antonio Spurs

The Skinny » The Spurs started slowly because of injuries to Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, but they have again emerged as the Lakers' primary challenger in the West. Always good defensively because of Tim Duncan's presence near the basket, the

Spurs have opened up the offense with the three-point shooting of Matt Bonner and Roger Mason.

"San Antonio is a team that's been around. … They have the heart of a lion." -- Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan.

Odds of winning it all » 4-to-1

4. Cleveland Cavaliers

The Skinny » The Cavs will go as far as LeBron James takes them, which could be all the way. Mo Williams has helped take some pressure off James, and the return of Delonte West from injury will help down the stretch. The Cavaliers play 10 of their next 14 games on the road, including once at Boston.

"We just need to be healthy. If we are, we feel like we will beat anybody." -- Cavaliers point guard Mo Williams

Odds of winning it all » 5-to-1

--

Closing fast

Denver » The addition of All-Star point guard Chauncey Billups has legitimized the Nuggets, who still must prove they can win a playoff series with Carmelo Anthony as the primary option on offense.

Portland » Nobody expected the young Trail Blazers to be so good so soon, but Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge have them battling for home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

BlackSwordsMan
02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
FEED THE SHEED will put spurs at 1

SpursDynasty
02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Cleveland? No. Mo Williams? No. MO WILLIAMS IS NOT AN ALL STAR.

Allanon
02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
If Manu's fully healthy for the Playoffs, it could mean problems for the Bynum-less Lakers. But if Bynum's healthy, the Spurs need to get another big man.

xtremesteven33
02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
If Manu's fully healthy for the Playoffs, it could mean problems for the Bynum-less Lakers. But if Bynum's healthy, the Spurs need to get another big man.

You really think Bynums gonna miss the playoffs????

Kobulingam
02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
So this guy's odds for "ANOTHER TEAM" winning it all is 19-1.

Allanon
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
You really think Bynums gonna miss the playoffs????

Nah, I think (hope?) Bynum's gonna be back...probably no later than 1st week of April.

But for whatever reason, Bynum's a slow healer so the Lakers might go into the Playoffs without him, and that's worrisome. Laker odds drop drastically vs the Spurs without Bynum.

Galileo
02-17-2009, 05:17 PM
NBA: The four best teams down the stretch (http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11722008?source=rss)
By Lorem Ipsum
The Salt Lake Tribune

1. L.A. Lakers

The Skinny » The Lakers are the highest scoring team in the league (108.6), but they also rank first in rebounding and fifth in defensive field-goal percentage. They can win with offense or defense and they can win on the road, where they are 18-6. Finally, Kobe Bryant remains one of the game's most cold-blooded closers.

"The Lakers will be hard to catch. But you never know what can happen in the playoffs." -- Spurs guard Tony Parker.

2. Boston Celtics

The Skinny » The Celtics aren't as deep as the other contenders, but the Big Three of Kevin Garnett, Paul Piece and Ray Allen has them atop the East again. One of the best defensive teams in the league, Boston holds its opponents to 92 points per game on 42 percent shooting, which keeps Boston in every game. They've lost only four times by more than 10 points.

"People respect the fact we won last year, but that doesn't get us anywhere now." -- Celtics forward Paul Pierce

3. San Antonio Spurs

The Skinny » The Spurs started slowly because of injuries to Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, but they have again emerged as the Lakers' primary challenger in the West. Always good defensively because of Tim Duncan's presence near the basket, the

Spurs have opened up the offense with the three-point shooting of Matt Bonner and Roger Mason.

"San Antonio is a team that's been around. … They have the heart of a lion." -- Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan.

4. Cleveland Cavaliers

The Skinny » The Cavs will go as far as LeBron James takes them, which could be all the way. Mo Williams has helped take some pressure off James, and the return of Delonte West from injury will help down the stretch. The Cavaliers play 10 of their next 14 games on the road, including once at Boston.

"We just need to be healthy. If we are, we feel like we will beat anybody." -- Cavaliers point guard Mo Williams

--

Closing fast

Denver » The addition of All-Star point guard Chauncey Billups has legitimized the Nuggets, who still must prove they can win a playoff series with Carmelo Anthony as the primary option on offense.

Portland » Nobody expected the young Trail Blazers to be so good so soon, but Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge have them battling for home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

Down the stretch they come!

pad300
02-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Bynum won’t start running – not even on weight resistance machines – until doctors give him a clean bill of health on the injury that the player described as a “medium to high level” tear of the MCL. Until then, Bynum’s day consists of icing, laser treatments and range of motion exercises 3-5 times a day
http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2009/02/16/lakers-bynum-hasnt-started-resistance-training-yet/

Dont' know if it means anything or not, but I wouldn't call it good news on the Bynum health front...

Allanon
02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2009/02/16/lakers-bynum-hasnt-started-resistance-training-yet/

Dont' know if it means anything or not, but I wouldn't call it good news on the Bynum health front...

Yeah, it's not good news, he was supposed to start running on Monday but that's been pushed back it seems.

Unlike last year, I"m not holding out waiting for Bynum. With Bynum, I don't think there's a team in the NBA that can beat them in 7 games.

Lakers can still win it all even without Bynum but the path has gotten substantially harder.

hater
02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Jazz

Agloco
02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Jazz
http://www.adhaiku.com/images/dosequis_interesting.jpg
NO

afireinside20
02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
1.Spurs - I think by the time the playoffs come the Spurs will be very hot!! Their gonna be there like always, under the radar to all those ESPN jerks and the idiots on TNT, and BLAM, their gonna start picking off teams again!! The Spurs definetely need more respect.

2.Lakers - These guys, love em or hate em, are a good team. They'll be second with or without Bynum.

3.Celtics - What can you say about the World Champs? These guys are just a good team too, I expect them to also be rolling when the playoffs come around. For sure their taking the East again.

4.Cleveland - Team will probably be rolling too, if Lebron keeps playing well, which is very likely.

PM5K
02-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Why aren't the Magic "Closing fast"?

SouthTexasRancher
03-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Finally, a Laker fan with common sense and not wildass junior high hype like so many of the other Laker posters on sports message boards. I, for one, am looking forward to what could be a great WC Finals between the Lakers and Spurs. What our Spurs need to understand at that point is we do NOT want a 7th game in that series because Kobe will go off like never before and Wilt's 100 point game could be in trouble!

Agloco
03-03-2009, 07:07 PM
By Lorem Ipsum
The Salt Lake Tribune

1. L.A. Lakers

2. Boston Celtics

3. San Antonio Spurs

4. Cleveland Cavaliers

--

Closing fast

A glaring omission here would be Utah...

They are the only undefeated team since the break. Guess I spoke too soon.

ElNono
03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
By Lorem Ipsum

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

mystargtr34
03-03-2009, 07:32 PM
I think the Cavs are slightly better than SA honestly. Theyre defense is miles ahead of ours, and unless the Spurs knuckle down to 'moderate-Spurs defense', then i think the Lakers, Celtics and Cavs are all better.

1. Lakers
2. Cavs
3. Celtics
4. Spurs

Galileo
03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
The Lakers started 7-0. We started 2-5.

Since then, the Spurs are 38-14, and the Fakers are 41-12, not much difference.

The first 7 games of the NBA regular season are about as important as the first 7 steps of the marathon.

ulosturedge
03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I think the Cavs are slightly better than SA honestly. Theyre defense is miles ahead of ours, and unless the Spurs knuckle down to 'moderate-Spurs defense', then i think the Lakers, Celtics and Cavs are all better.

1. Lakers
2. Cavs
3. Celtics
4. Spurs

The Cavs haven't won it all thats why I think they put the Spurs ahead of them. There is no substitute for having championship experience. If you are having flashbacks of the last game against the cavs; remember that we were without Tim or Manu.

Under the assumption that all our key players will be healthy come playoff time; the only team I truly fear is the Lakers. They give us more problems then any of the top teams in the league. Not to say those other teams can't beat the Spurs but I think they are all on par with the Spurs where as the Lakers seem to have a leg up to the rest of the competition.

HarlemHeat37
03-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't believe the Lakers have a leg up on Boston and Cleveland, but they are definitely our worst matchup due to Bynum..if we get past LA, I have no doubts we'll beat whoever comes out of the East..beating the Lakers will be tough as hell if Bynum is playing and healthy though..

mystargtr34
03-03-2009, 08:10 PM
The Cavs haven't won it all thats why I think they put the Spurs ahead of them. There is no substitute for having championship experience. If you are having flashbacks of the last game against the cavs; remember that we were without Tim or Manu.

Under the assumption that all our key players will be healthy come playoff time; the only team I truly fear is the Lakers. They give us more problems then any of the top teams in the league. Not to say those other teams can't beat the Spurs but I think they are all on par with the Spurs where as the Lakers seem to have a leg up to the rest of the competition.

It had 0 to do with the last matchup with the Cavs. They have consistantly been MUCH better than the Spurs defensively all year. When they were swept they didnt have anything remotely close to a Championship level second option. Most of that roster was there in 2007 so they know what to expect.

Its close, but if a series between the teams started today with both teams healthy, i think the Cavs might come out on top. Having said that, i think the Spurs have more room for improvement, especially defensively.

crc21209
03-03-2009, 08:55 PM
It seems more and more of a lock that the Lakers are gonna have the #1 seed. And if things stick the way they are, they will play either Dallas or Phoenix in the 1st round. I think both teams could give the Lakers some trouble, moreso Phoenix, the playoffs are going to be pretty interesting.

MarHill
03-03-2009, 09:33 PM

1. Lakers
2. Cavs
3. Celtics
4. Spurs

I disagree! The Spurs are better than the Cavs with a healthy Manu along with Tim and Tony. The Cavs have gotten better since 2007...no doubt! But they are still fourth on this list.

1. Lakers
2. Celtics
3. Spurs
4. Cavs

Manu-of-steel
03-03-2009, 10:15 PM
A glaring omission here would be Utah...

They are the only undefeated team since the break. Guess I spoke too soon.

True. Watch out for the jazz because they are quietly rounding into form. Although I always like our chances against the jazz.

Manu-of-steel
03-03-2009, 10:19 PM

I am optimistic about our chances against the lakers. Add to that our signing of gooden, we can at least have a descent big man to guard the likes of odom/gasol. Let's get it on.