PDA

View Full Version : Why are struggling teams unwilling to part with their big names?

SpursDynasty
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't get it...why is Dirk untouchable? The Mavs are 31-21. The days of the Mavs being a 60 win team with Dirk are over....why can't teams take risks and make some big moves? The guy makes some shit shots in 2006 and all of a sudden Cuban wants to act like he's the MJ or Kobe of his franchise.

How about Phoenix? To say that Nash is untouchable is idiotic. He was a 2 time MVP, but was three years ago. And it's become clear that Nash cannot be effective in a system other than run and gun. Phoenix is not even in the playoff picture right now. If you're going to trade Amare, then trade him already. I'm tired of seeing Amare trade rumor threads. Amare does not want to be a Phoenix Sun anymore. And Shaq should be on the way out too.

New Orleans should think about moving Chris Paul or David West. I've been watching NOH this season and they are no where near their competitiveness and intensity of last season. Again, this team makes some bullshit shots last year and all of a sudden Paul and West become "untouchable".

And Houston..imagine what they could bring to the Rockets by shipping out Yao and McGrady. To me Houston is the most in need of a rebuilding. It wouldn't even be rebuilding if they're willing to move Yao. Where has Yao gotten this team in 7 seasons? No where. It's clear that Yao as a Rocket will not work. Imagine what could have been of Yao's career if he didn't end up in a shit franchise. I think they need to do a new rule in the draft lottery. Put all 30 teams in it, and give each team an equal chance at the #1 pick. The fact that #1 picks have to go to shit franchises really ruins their careers. There are some #1 picks that would have been shit regardless of where they end up, such as LeBron James and Dwight Howard, but let's say Yao in 2002 went to the Sacramento Kings or the Spurs, imagine what could have been made of his career.

Even the Spurs could afford to move someone. We aren't exactly struggling, and we are currently the favorites to win the championship, but we want to get an extra big or an extra power player, yet we aren't willing to move anyone. Let's face it, Manu did a lot for us, and no disrespect to Manu, he was a big part of our three championships, but he isn't helping the Spurs anymore. We needed him to show up against the Lakers last year in the WCF's and he failed to do so. We wanted him to rest this summer and not play in the Olympics, and he failed to do that as well. Again, no disrespect to Manu.

But no instead all of these teams want to sit on their asses and keep their so-called untouchable players.

This league has become stale this season. Worst All-Star weekend in history that I can remember.

BUMP
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
why is Tim Duncan untouchable?

Spurs arent getting past the Lakers this year anyway....

Lars
02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Because Yao, for example brings in tons of money. NBA franchises are businesses.

dirk4mvp
02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
And Houston..imagine what they could bring to the Rockets by shipping out Yao and McGrady. To me Houston is the most in need of a rebuilding. It wouldn't even be rebuilding if they're willing to move Yao. Where has Yao gotten this team in 7 seasons? No where. It's clear that Yao as a Rocket will not work. Imagine what could have been of Yao's career if he didn't end up in a shit franchise. I think they need to do a new rule in the draft lottery. Put all 30 teams in it, and give each team an equal chance at the #1 pick. The fact that #1 picks have to go to shit franchises really ruins their careers. There are some #1 picks that would have been shit regardless of where they end up, such as LeBron James and Dwight Howard, but let's say Yao in 2002 went to the Sacramento Kings or the Spurs, imagine what could have been made of his career.

:lol

scanry
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM

You think the Spurs would get an equal value if they trade him. :lol

I'm pretty sure the Spurs wouldn't trade Duncan for the whole Mavs roster.

Thunder Dan
02-17-2009, 04:58 PM
that's what I'm saying! It's bullshit the Clippers, the fucking Clippers, won't trade Marcus fucking Camby

LEONARD
02-17-2009, 05:16 PM
The guy makes some shit shots in 2006 and all of a sudden Cuban wants to act like he's the MJ or Kobe of his franchise.

Talk about minimizing a HoF'rs career... :lol

Genius...

dallaskd
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I like how you say no disrespect for Manu, but not to anyone else.

vicphoenix13
02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
How about Phoenix? To say that Nash is untouchable is idiotic. He was a 2 time MVP, but was three years ago. And it's become clear that Nash cannot be effective in a system other than run and gun. Phoenix is not even in the playoff picture right now. If you're going to trade Amare, then trade him already. I'm tired of seeing Amare trade rumor threads. Amare does not want to be a Phoenix Sun anymore. And Shaq should be on the way out too.

Nash is a draw for the Suns franchise. If the Suns trade him, they lose fans and money. That's something Robert Sarver can't afford. Also, who do the Suns have to replace Nash at point guard? Until the Suns have a decent point guard in waiting or he becomes a free agent, Nash will be in Phoenix.

Cane
02-17-2009, 06:09 PM
When you trade star players you generally don't get back what you gave. Its only if a team is in dire need of cap space or is total rebuilding mode will stars be traded.

And if your star player is a team captain and has a good reputation in the locker room it'd be a devastating hit to morale to see him traded away for trash players.

Indazone
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
As far as Houston goes. Everyone not named Yao is expendable. Yao with the right pieces around him could actually do some great damage. Like imagine if Yao had a great point guard instead of that second rate Rafer Alston? What if Yao had Amare next to him? What if Yao had someone with his head screwed on straight instead of T-Mac and could score?? Someone like..oh Ray Allen. Anyway, you get my drift. Yao is a franchise player that you build around. The pieces around Yao right now are close but it's not good enough. 20 million a year going to T-Mac doesn't help.

Rogue
02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
houston rockets team has already been uncurable since their No.1 decided to leave and started to shit rockets fans, artest has a big ambition in his mind but he can still not rescue his team all by himself. Yao is playing in NBA on the only purpose of earning our dollars... shane is a gentleman who is playing the opposite style of defense to bowen's, but a great defender is always wasted if he is not on a great team like spurs. Houston owns pieces of young talents, most of whom don't want to waste their talent in houston. they have enough time to wait for the expirements of their contracts, and will definitely leave houston for those real great teams once they can do that, and realize their dreams with real superstars instead of fakers like tmac and yao.

Our beloved mavs should have won the championship of 06, but our championship was deprived by "bullshit whistles and fluke shots". Dirk is still as good as he was in 06, but his teammates have slipped a lot since then. Howard's athletism has been badly erosed by roor while Dampier has also gotten worse due to age. JET is our 6th man and did a good job before breaking his finger, who knows if the damn finger injury will affact him who is living on his sharp shooting. Now we just need a decent center to accomplish our unbeatable ship, and there are actually plenty of centers out there on sale. Kaman, chandler, rasheed, Joe smith... Our team will definitely dominate the west after acquiring a good center, and win a championship this season. We love our team.

BUMP
02-17-2009, 09:45 PM
You think the Spurs would get an equal value if they trade him. :lol

I'm pretty sure the Spurs wouldn't trade Duncan for the whole Mavs roster.

doesnt matter. nobody is getting past LA this year, might as well rebuild

Indazone
02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
houston rockets team has already been uncurable since their No.1 decided to leave and started to shit rockets fans, artest has a big ambition in his mind but he can still not rescue his team all by himself. Yao is playing in NBA on the only purpose of earning our dollars... shane is a gentleman who is playing the opposite style of defense to bowen's, but a great defender is always wasted if he is not on a great team like spurs. Houston owns pieces of young talents, most of whom don't want to waste their talent in houston. they have enough time to wait for the expirements of their contracts, and will definitely leave houston for those real great teams once they can do that, and realize their dreams with real superstars instead of fakers like tmac and yao.

Our beloved mavs should have won the championship of 06, but our championship was deprived by "bullshit whistles and fluke shots". Dirk is still as good as he was in 06, but his teammates have slipped a lot since then. Howard's athletism has been badly erosed by roor while Dampier has also gotten worse due to age. JET is our 6th man and did a good job before breaking his finger, who knows if the damn finger injury will affact him who is living on his sharp shooting. Now we just need a decent center to accomplish our unbeatable ship, and there are actually plenty of centers out there on sale. Kaman, chandler, rasheed, Joe smith... Our team will definitely dominate the west after acquiring a good center, and win a championship this season. We love our team.

There is only one center capable of doing that for your team and his name is Yao. Too bad it'll never happen. :lol

lefty
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM

H-a-t-e-r
L-o-s-e-r

Jmoney
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM
So with your idea lets say the Lakers winners of 3 straight NBA champs lands the first pick. Now they sign him. Usually for a 1st year 1st pick player they get 3-5 mil for the first year and 4-5 mil the next and a 2 year team option of similiar numbers. Now lets say last year. Instead of Portland winning the lotto how about the Spurs? Of course they pick Oden first with the said contract. What team in there right mind is going to let that happen? No team in the NBA want's to see the any of the Top3 picks to go to a team that just won it all. Not only would that be insanely stupid but now draft picks trading wise during a season ain't worth a crap cause its all equal. The fact is the system in place now does the job well with the exception of the fans suffering when teams tank at the end of the year. Really if a team tanks at the end of the year sitting starters for no reason making absurb cases to play it's free agents so it can address who it wants to keep. That shit needs to go. You feel sorry for these guys and them being on shit teams not going anywhere? I sure as hell don't those guys make 20 mil a year to play a game for half a year. Not only that if they didn't sign such absurd contracts to begin WITH. Help would be alot easier to get. Imagine if you will in the late 90's early 2000 If Kobe didn't sign his insane contract for 20 mil a year or KG didn't sign his absurd contract for 20 mil a year. If KG doesn't take up so much of the cap space and allows the TEAM to get other players he probally would of won prior to being a celtic. It wasn't till guys like David and Tim said you know what we will take LESS money so you can spread it to other guys and get us in a better place to win. HOLY SHIT WHAT A CONCEPT!!!! The cap was invented to create better situations and more competive play amongst other teams. Instead it limited some teams because players said I'm the number one guy pay me 1/3rd of the entire cap of a team. I'm sorry it's a team game it takes more than one guy to win. Not even MJ could do it on his own.

pauls931
02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I think Orlando should dump the cancer known as Dwight Howard, loser can't even beat a 3' Nate Robinson in a dunk contest.