PDA

View Full Version : Why Pop loves Finley

anonoftheinternets
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Watching this knicks game among all teh spurs games, I finally understand pop's man crush on finley.

NO ONE PASSES THE BALL TO DUNCAN IN THE LOW POST LIKE FINLEY. You ppl shud appreciate finley. He makes duncan so much better. Since duncan can catch without losing his position and can go to work. Everytime Hill passes the ball duncan loses his driblle, when mason passes the ball, he loses his position, with parker it is decent but with finley its like butter. Duncan looks very comfortable out there.

lefty
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Actually, Pop gives him minutes because Findog has this compromising picture:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2990/popolakersgb7.jpg

exstatic
02-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Watching this knicks game among all teh spurs games, I finally understand pop's man crush on finley.

NO ONE PASSES THE BALL TO DUNCAN IN THE LOW POST LIKE FINLEY. You ppl shud appreciate finley. He makes duncan so much better. Since duncan can catch without losing his position and can go to work. Everytime Hill passes the ball duncan loses his driblle, when mason passes the ball, he loses his position, with parker it is decent but with finley its like butter. Duncan looks very comfortable out there.

Finley is WITHOUT A DOUBT the worst post entry passer on the team. How you see what you think you see is beyond me.

scanry
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
He fucking sucked tonight on Offense and Defense.

God he's awful.

Spurs Brazil
02-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Finley played 1 good game in 2009 and that's it.

It's Bruce time

Josepatches_
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM

What a joke

Texas_Ranger
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Trade this fucking Finley!!

Quiet Strength
02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Finley is awful damn its annoying that he gets so many minutes. He doesn't do anything on the court.. no defense... no offense... nothing. Its like there are only 4 spurs players on the court when he is playing.

Texas_Ranger
02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Udoka should get Finley's minutes, and I'm sure he would play better!!

Quiet Strength
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Udoka should get Finley's minutes, and I'm sure he would play better!!

Bill land would play better than finley

dastrey
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Dont worry. He will hit 1 big shot in a big game and we will forgive him for playing bad the next 15 games.

benefactor
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
In other news...Hairston gets a DNP against a team that plays very little interior defense.

Manu-of-steel
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
what happened to malik hairston?

ManuTP9
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Dont worry. He will hit 1 big shot in a big game and we will forgive him for playing bad the next 15 games.

:lol true

xtremesteven33
02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Finley has no business playing right now..

Very unfair to Parker and Duncan getting NO HELP from this man.

Quiet Strength
02-17-2009, 10:27 PM
what happened to malik hairston?

It was too hard for him to get playing time since finley was having a monster game

SenorSpur
02-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Finley is awful damn its annoying that he gets so many minutes. He doesn't do anything on the court.. no defense... no offense... nothing. Its like there are only 4 spurs players on the court when he is playing.

...and don't forget his myriad of bone-headed passes that often result in turnovers.

Muser
02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Bruce Bowen - 3 - 5 FG, 2 - 3 3 pointers in 30:49 ended with 8 points

Finley - 4-13 FG, 0-5 3 pointers in 32:48 ended with 9 points

What else needs to be said?

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Finley's actually one of the worst passers I've ever seen..he's by far the worst inbounds passer I've ever seen as well..

I've already made my feelings clear about him..he shouldn't be playing more than 10-15 minutes on an NBA team..starting? get the fuck out of here..he can't shoot anymore, which is all he's supposed to be able to do..horrible defender, can't pass, takes bad shots..

this guy should be a fucking 10th man, not an NBA starter..I'm almost at the point where I'd prefer Ime over him..

Mugen
02-17-2009, 10:30 PM
i dont understand when pop subs Finley in for Bowen on offensive possessions when Bruce was shooting pretty well from the 3 tonight.

right now, id rather have bruce taking big shots in the 4th than finley. Fin's D is just awfu.

Spurs Brazil
02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Finley's actually one of the worst passers I've ever seen..he's by far the worst inbounds passer I've ever seen as well..

I've already made my feelings clear about him..he shouldn't be playing more than 10-15 minutes on an NBA team..starting? get the fuck out of here..he can't shoot anymore, which is all he's supposed to be able to do..horrible defender, can't pass, takes bad shots..

this guy should be a fucking 10th man, not an NBA starter..I'm almost at the point where I'd prefer Ime over him..

And it's happening the same thing as last season. He started well and then got worst and worst resulting in that horrible Lakers series.

benefactor
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Almost THIRTY THREE FUCKING MINUTES.

I feel better now.

loveforthegame
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I sure hope Finley doesn't veto a trade but it might be fun just to see the boards reaction.

justinandimcool
02-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Better off having Hairston in there for 33 minutes. It was unbelieveable watching Finley do nothing out there tonight.

ElNono
02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Finley shooting slump is the size of the grand canyon by now. I understand Pop not being confident in Hairston, but play Bowen or even Hill instead.

Baseline
02-17-2009, 10:37 PM
The only positive to this game tonight is that it makes the case against Finley that much more obvious.

The guy has been killing us for two years now. Why that fact is lost on our coach, I have no idea.

But I will say that that it doesn't surprise me that we're looking at a guy like Vince Carter. My hope is that if Carter becomes a Spur, Michael Finley will not sniff the floor again in the Silver and Black.

SenorSpur
02-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Hate to say it, but Finley is a major "achilles heel" as a starter for this team. It kills me that Pop keeps looking at the defensive statistics and wondering why the team has slipped. As players get older, their reactions get slower. That means slower rotations, inability to properly close out on shooters, can't get to loose balls as much and unable to stay in front of your man. We saw it with Horry last year.

I don't want to blame the entire defensive slippage on Finley, but having both him and Bonner as starters, there's going to be slippage. That's 2/5 of your starting 5 that are very poor defenders. Bonners has gotten better and has earned his starting promotion. However, it's hard to justify why Finley gets so many minutes, when he's struggling with his shot. He certainly shouldn't be starting.

I agree with those who mentioned that Pop should split Fin's minutes between Ime and Hairston.

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2009, 10:42 PM
I love Vince, but it's not even about that..

I keep hoping that after every bad Finley game, Pop will come to his senses, but he just doesn't..I have no idea what it's going to take for him to see Finley in the same way that we see him..

even without a trade..

play Bowen more, play Hairston more, play George at the 2..there isn't a worse option than Finley right now..

Pop is a genius, but I don't understand how he doesn't see the reason for our D slipping..he's replacing a great perimeter defender with a horrible defender..

SenorSpur
02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
The only positive to this game tonight is that it makes the case against Finley that much more obvious.

The guy has been killing us for two years now. Why that fact is lost on our coach, I have no idea.

But I will say that that it doesn't surprise me that we're looking at a guy like Vince Carter. My hope is that if Carter becomes a Spur, Michael Finley will not sniff the floor again in the Silver and Black.

Why add another very poor defender onto a team that continues to struggle defensively? That's part of the problem now. Pop has sold out for more offense (Bonner and Finley). However, Finley keeps betraying that trust.

If the Spurs are gonna go after a perimeter guy - John Salmons.

loveforthegame
02-17-2009, 10:46 PM
It's not just inserting Bowen into the starting lineup that would help the team but I think it would benefit Finley coming off the bench too.

ElNono
02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
It's not just inserting Bowen into the starting lineup that would help the team but I think it would benefit Finley coming off the bench too.

Finley became a starter and sent Manu to the bench because he was sucking coming off the bench. Now he's sucking as a starter. Maybe we should promote him to GM?

benefactor
02-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Before the season started, this is exactly what most of us said would kill us if it happened. Finley has been averaging almost 28 minutes per game. That is just too much.

Hopefully this is only because Pop is overwhelmingly committed to resting Bowen. 28 MPG of Finley in the playoffs is suicide.

SouthTexasRancher
02-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Trade this fucking Finley!!

Along with Ime Udoka, Jacque Vaughn, Fabricio Oberrto, Ian Mahimi and even Malik Hairston if it'll help get us a decent deal. And trade Bowen if needed to make a trade work as long as that team releases him so he can re-sign with us in 30 days for one more playoff run before he goes to pasture. We have way too many guys who can't shoot straight, defend, block out, rebound, steal, block shots and play NBA ball in general. But, they are good at making lots of mental mistakes.

This losing to weak teams in the East is getting old. Our guys better get their asses in gear!

loveforthegame
02-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Finley became a starter and sent Manu to the bench because he was sucking coming off the bench. Now he's sucking as a starter. Maybe we should promote him to GM?

There was a stretch last season that Finley played well off the bench. I think it could work again especially with his minutes down.

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2009, 11:14 PM
there are only 4 players that are 35 years old and older that play 20+ MPG..

Jason Kidd, Shaquille O'Neal, Grant Hill, and Michael Finley..

one of these names doesn't fit..

ElNono
02-17-2009, 11:16 PM
there are only 4 players that are 35 years old and older that play 20+ MPG..

Jason Kidd, Shaquille O'Neal, Grant Hill, and Michael Finley..

one of these names doesn't fit..

I would say two of those names don't fit...

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2009, 11:18 PM
that's what I would have thought earlier, but Grant Hill has been great this season..

Brent Barry is playing 18 MPG, he's the only other "SG" on the list..that's around what Mike should be playing..

ElNono
02-17-2009, 11:21 PM
that's what I would have thought earlier, but Grant Hill has been great this season..

Brent Barry is playing 18 MPG, he's the only other "SG" on the list..that's around what Mike should be playing..

I'm actually thinking Kidd as the other odd one out...

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Kidd is putting up 9 PPG, 8 APG, 6 RPG with a very good 40% from 3 point range..he also plays good D vs. SGs..you can't really ask for more from a 35-year old PG..more importantly, he's an ultimate hustle guy..

I can definitely ask for more from Finley though..he lacks effort and results..

ElNono
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Kidd is putting up 9 PPG, 8 APG, 6 RPG with a very good 40% from 3 point range..he also plays good D vs. SGs..you can't really ask for more from a 35-year old PG..more importantly, he's an ultimate hustle guy..

I can definitely ask for more from Finley though..he lacks effort and results..

OK, you can leave Kidd in there. As far as Finley, I don't think effort is what it is. We always knew he was not a good defender, and he mostly offset that with offense. He's also playing SF, which basically puts him out of position.
But his offense has been dry for a long time now, and he ain't getting any better on defense. He actually did get some rebounds out there, that shows he still cares. But I think he's just washed up at this point. A lot like Horry last year.

dastrey
02-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Bonner's Defense>Finley's Defense
Bonner's Offense>>>>Finley's Offense

Finley is probably the worst starting SF in the league. An old Grant Hill would have probably given the Spurs 3-4 extra wins this year.

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I don't blame Finley, I blame Pop..

Finley could be a good contributor if he's playing 15 MPG..he wouldn't have so much wear and tear on his body, he'd have more rest, he could come on to be an offensive spark, he wouldn't have as much responsibility..

Agloco
02-17-2009, 11:31 PM

LOL......sad but true.

Not only that, if we're lucky we'll get to see an entire thread started by Sequ about how godlike Finley is.

Ocotillo
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Finley's spot should be in a suit, behind the bench, on IR.

scanry
02-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I think our line up should look like this..

Starting Lineup
C-Duncan
PF-Thomas
SF-Bonner/Bowen (Depending on the matchups)
SG-Mason
PG-Parker

Bench
Manu
Hill
Hairston
Oberto
Finley
Udoka

HarlemHeat37
02-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Bonner can't play SF, he would get murdered..

if it was up to me..

C- Duncan..34 MPG..
PF- Thomas..20 MPG..
SF- Bowen..25 MPG..
SG- Mason..30 MPG..
PG- Parker..33 MPG..

Ginobili..25 MPG..
Bonner..20 MPG..
Oberto..10 MPG..
Finley..15 MPG..
Hairston..9 MPG..
Hill..20 MPG..
Udoka..

obviously depending on certain matchups, too..it would also change in the playoffs..

TDMVPDPOY
02-18-2009, 12:30 AM
we shouldve shipped his ass out of here when we got him his ring.....

now we are stuck with his contract and consent approval to be traded to anything....LAME

TDMVPDPOY
we shouldve shipped his ass out of here when we got him his ring.....

now we are stuck with his contract and consent approval to be traded to anything....LAME

The Truth #6
Just wait till Finley starts next year...

Manufan909
We heard the first time.

Borosai
02-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Michael "The Invisible Mancrush" Finley.

crc21209
02-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Michael Finley...at this point...I love the man as a person and in 07' I'm happy we won a ring for him...but...hes DONE. I mean all he does now is take about two dribbles and brings back his foot and is forced to pass the ball...he NEVER EVER drives in the lane anymore ever! What happened to the Fin who was slammin' all over Ericka Dampier and Dirk in 06'? His time has passed, and his ass needs to get out of the starting lineup. He doesnt even make his occasional 3's anymore!

Our starting line-up should be:

PG- TP
SG- Mason
SF- Bowen
PF- TD
C- Thomas/Bonner (depending on match-ups)

Bowen GREATLY improves this teams D when hes in there...rotations look better...perimeter D looks better...everything...Bowen HAS TO START.

GSH
02-18-2009, 10:01 AM
When Finley has the ball in his hands, he can't do anything but pass it to Tim. Gee... do you think any of the other teams have figured that out?

And, no, Michael Finley does not make Tim Duncan better. He does make the opposing players look good fairly often, though. That's gotta count for something.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Poor Finley getting bashed by everyone.

You're not fair to him, he's always been streaky and he's actually had a great month of December. Yea, he's kind of sucking right now and probably doesn't deserve the minutes he gets but don't jump on his back, it's not like he's always been shooting lights out and now all of a sudden he doesn't care about winning or giving his best effort.

He'll eventually find his form again, hopefully in the playoffs.

WalterBenitez
02-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Finley sucks

SenorSpur
02-18-2009, 10:25 AM
The Spurs margin of error is very slim - even against poor teams. Players who do not perform consistently only contribute to that slim margin of error. The Spurs have some dead weight on this team. Finley is part of that. Either replace him on the roster or limit his minutes.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
The Spurs margin of error is very slim - even against poor teams. Players who do not perform consistently only contribute to that slim margin of error. The Spurs have some dead weight on this team. Finley is part of that. Either replace him on the roster or limit his minutes.

True. Without Finley's 9/10 ppg this margin of error becomes even smaller so it's important that he gets back to playing like he did until december.

SenorSpur
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Frankly, I'm sick of Finley's inconsistency. The Spurs have managed to win in spite of it. However, it's not going to get any better with him. If he's going to stay on the roster, he needs to be benched when he's stinking it up - just like any other player. If Udoka and Hairston remain on the roster after the deadline, I'd rather see them and Bowen "eat up" Finley's minutes, when he's struggling.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Neither Udoka, nor Hairston will provide what Finley could during the playoffs. We need Fin to be playing well because he gets much more respect from opposition defenders than Bowen ever has.

It's not about dropping Fin, it's about getting him in rhythm.

SenorSpur
02-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Neither Udoka, nor Hairston will provide what Finley could during the playoffs. We need Fin to be playing well because he gets much more respect from opposition defenders than Bowen ever has.

It's not about dropping Fin, it's about getting him in rhythm.

Finley cannot be counted on for consistent play. That's not who he's been and that's not who he is. If the Spurs cannot get a reserve big via trade, I'd rather have Salmons.

Chomag
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Frankly, I'm sick of Finley's inconsistency. The Spurs have managed to win in spite of it. However, it's not going to get any better with him. If he's going to stay on the roster, he needs to be benched when he's stinking it up - just like any other player. If Udoka and Hairston remain on the roster after the deadline, I'd rather see them and Bowen "eat up" Finley's minutes, when he's struggling.

I agree. And how Fair is it when players like Hairston, and Hill do the same thing in game they are pulled out immediately. Those guys should be in there learning from those rookie mistakes. They have legit excuses to having bad games where as finely really has no excuse to be stinking up the place.

HarlemHeat37
02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Hairston can put the ball on the floor, he dunks, and he gets in for rebounds..that's enough for me to warrant playing him ahead of Finley, who does nothing when he isn't making shots..

I'm just fucking tired of this dude..

DarrinS
02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the OP was being sarcastic.

coyotes_geek
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Well, right about now Pop loves Finley because he's healthy.

DarrinS
02-18-2009, 06:22 PM
I think Pop gets along with Finley because they are about the same age.