View Full Version : Hollinger: The Run-And-Gun Suns Have Returned

Xylus
02-18-2009, 04:44 AM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090217

http://a.espncdn.com//photo/2009/0217/nba_g_sunsbench_576.jpg

The Run-And-Gun Suns Have Returned
By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- The Suns said they'd need an adjustment period before they could reinstate their former "Seven Seconds or Less" playing style.

It lasted one possession.

After running a halfcourt set for Shaquille O'Neal off the opening tip, the Suns scored in seven seconds or less on their second trip ... and the third ... and the fourth ...and then, after a turnover, the sixth. As they did, a sensation started sweeping over the crowd:

Holy &@#!$ ... we're back!

Four times in five trips the Suns went down and scored in under seven seconds -- their previous pastime under former coach Mike D'Antoni -- and they didn't stop there. With new coach Alvin Gentry reinstating the team's old system, Phoenix ran after makes, ran after misses, and ran past the hapless Clippers for a torrent of layups en route to a 140-100 rout. Only four teams have scored more points in regulation in the past 10 years.

Their routine under Terry Porter of milking all 24 seconds to get post-ups for Shaq? Forget it. Those first four transition scores tonight took them 21 seconds ... combined.

By the end of the first quarter, they had a season-high 41 points. In the second, they had four straight trips in which they scored in under five seconds, highlighted by a spectacular Nash-to-Louis Amundson alley-oop. After that sequence the home crowd broke out in a delirious ovation -- half shock that this was really happening, half ecstasy that their old team was back. The players' reactions were similar, with the entire bench running out to halfcourt during timeouts to share elated high fives.

"We just ran and played free" said Amare Stoudemire. "It felt totally different."

And your halftime score: Suns 81, Clippers 49. Phoenix shot 75.9 percent in the first half, had 27 fast-break points, had 21 assists on 31 field goals (seven by Steve Nash), and had more points in the paint (50) than their opponent had altogether (49).

It was the first time in nearly a year that a team had consecutive 40-point quarters, and the two 40-point quarters matched the Suns' previous season total.

Wait, it gets better. They didn't have Jason Richardson, only had Stoudemire for nine of those first-half minutes due to fouls, and gave Nash a nice, long six minute rest. But even when Goran Dragic, Alando Tucker and Jared Dudley were running the show, the run-and-gun Suns got whatever shot they wanted, and got it with shocking speed.

Remind me again why they didn't want to play this way?

"Alvin wanted us to play loose and up-tempo, and I think that was contagious," said Nash, who a day earlier said his team had "the weight of the world on its shoulders."

"We got out and ran more. You could see guys enjoyed it a little more."

OK, now for the caveats. It was only the Clippers, at home, without Marcus Camby (home in L.A. with an inner ear infection). L.A. clearly had no interest in playing this game, although it did show some interest in boxing. Zach Randolph was ejected in the first quarter when he knocked down Amundson underneath, kneed him, taunted him, and then punched him in the face -- a quartet of infractions that likely will result in a multigame suspension. Conveniently for Phoenix, the two teams play again Wednesday.

"I don't know what he was trying to do," said Amundson.

"Zach's crazy," added Matt Barnes. "At least we don't have to deal with him tomorrow."

And while the Suns were running the Clips off the court, some scuttlebutt remained that Stoudemire could be had for the right price. Of course, that was before the game. After this explosion, they might want to stand pat no matter what offers they get.

Moreover the offense wasn't the only thing that stood out on this night. Phoenix actually seemed more stoked about defending than they've looked in some time -- Stoudemire included. The Suns held the Clips to 100 points -- a feat given the game's torrid pace -- and limited L.A. to just three offensive rebounds and 43.4 percent shooting.

"We did a good job in our rotations tonight," said Gentry. "We battled in the inside and tried to keep the ball out of their hands."

Yes, there will be sterner tests for Gentry's Suns than this back-to-back set against the Clips, and Phoenix ended the night still in ninth place in the Western Conference. And for all the Suns accomplished Tuesday, they said to a man that they still had plenty of work to do on their spacing and conditioning if they were going to re-hash the glory days of the D'Antoni Era for more than 48 minutes.

"It's one game and we still have a lot of work to do," said Gentry. "We're not ready to crown ourselves NBA champs yet, OK?"

Yet you could tell by the mood in the locker room that something had changed very much for the better. The standings may say they're 29-23 and ninth in the West. Tuesday said something very different -- the Suns are back, baby, and they're going to be hell on wheels from here on out.

Ghazi
02-18-2009, 05:06 AM
Gonna be runnin and gunnin all the way to the muthafuckin CHAMPIONSHIP:lobt2:

No more bullshit technicality suspensions to stand in the way

baseline bum
02-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Good to see. Having been a Spurs fan in the 80s, I love transition basketball and hope the Suns get back on track.

Chieflion
02-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Gentry>>>>>>>>Porter.

ElNono
02-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Gonna be runnin and gunnin all the way to the muthafuckin CHAMPIONSHIP:lobt2:

No more bullshit technicality suspensions to stand in the way

You gotta be the worst bandwagon jumper in the entire forum. I would guess it has to do with your team being irrelevant again?

sribb43
02-18-2009, 08:36 AM
That nice but it still wont work in the playoffs...Suns can join the Mavs in another 1st round exit

Bob Lanier
02-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Gentry>>>>>>>>Porter.
Thanks for the insightful argument, chief.

Chieflion
02-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the insightful argument, chief.
I believe I could have added a few more > in that statement. However, it is still only one game.

The whole article could just be summarised as Gentry owns Porter.

sonic21
02-18-2009, 09:11 AM
that's nice, maybe they'll win the rating championship again

pauls931
02-18-2009, 09:21 AM
It's nice to see. I think the trick for the playoffs is to see how to utilize shaq... defensively and when the games slow down. Let the game dictate how shaq is used, don't go into games with a preconception of "we need to pound it into shaq x times, run this set, that set, pound it some more".

The system Porter put in (maybe was forced to put in) required slowing down the offsense and that was about it. He didn't have the right pieces to put together what he wanted on defense (whatever it was).

Ratings champions? Well despite the will to win, play defense etc, the NBA is about one thing. Money.

Thunder Dan
02-18-2009, 09:38 AM
now they can be the ARods of the NBA again

MI21
02-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Why would they trade Amare if they are going to play this way?

pauls931
02-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Why would they trade Amare if they are going to play this way?

They're idiots? That's all I can come up with...

N4th4n
02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I would rather leave in the first round with a fun team then bow out with an excruciatingly boring team. You guys can all fuck off =). It is amazing how bitter people can be when they see others start to have a bit of fun.

MI21
02-18-2009, 10:02 AM
They're idiots? That's all I can come up with...

Well, I can understand the case for trading Amare if they were going to play more half court, "normal" basketball and not caring about defense. But if they are cloning the Seven Secends or Less idea, then what is the use. They would be idiots if that is how they are planning to play...

Thunder Dan
02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I would rather leave in the first round with a fun team then bow out with an excruciatingly boring team. You guys can all fuck off =). It is amazing how bitter people can be when they see others start to have a bit of fun.

so you would rather win 70 games knowing it will never lead to a championship than win 50 knowing that you have a solid chance to win a championship? Wow, why even have a team?

stretch
02-18-2009, 11:04 AM
whats with the chode blowing over 1 game against a shitty ass team?

Dex
02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
whats with the chode blowing over 1 game against a shitty ass team?

They're happy cuz' they went fast.

Phoenix Suns have Ricky Bobby syndrome.

TDMVPDPOY
02-18-2009, 11:11 AM
if they going to continue playin like this, they need to get rid of shaqs contract

Jmoney
02-18-2009, 11:14 AM
So fire D'Antoni to try and change the way things are done. Have a winning record making some progress abit slowly fire the coach. Replace with D'Antoni system assistant and bring back the old system. Cause the old system got you how many final apperances?

Thunder Dan
02-18-2009, 11:17 AM
So fire D'Antoni to try and change the way things are done. Have a winning record making some progress abit slowly fire the coach. Replace with D'Antoni system assistant and bring back the old system. Cause the old system got you how many final apperances?

that's what I'm saying

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 11:45 AM
so you would rather win 70 games knowing it will never lead to a championship than win 50 knowing that you have a solid chance to win a championship? Wow, why even have a team?

You don't really think the 28-23 Suns led by Terry Porter had a chance at winning a championship....did you?

PS - they were worse defensively under Porter than under D'antoni.

Thunder Dan
02-18-2009, 11:48 AM
You don't really think the 28-23 Suns led by Terry Porter had a chance at winning a championship....did you?

PS - they were worse defensively under Porter than under D'antoni.

you can't expect a guy to come in and change a team around with someone elses guys in 1/2 the season. That's ridiculous. You have to have a couple drafts and FA classes in order to get your guys in.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
you can't expect a guy to come in and change a team around with someone elses guys in 1/2 the season. That's ridiculous. You have to have a couple drafts and FA classes in order to get your guys in.

That's true on most occasions, but Porter demonstrated such a complete lack of ability and leadership that he had to go. Plenty of guys on that team who never played under D'antoni hated Porter.

lil_penny
02-18-2009, 12:30 PM

Bingo!

Red Hawk #21
02-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Shaq's ego might get bruised from this?

turiaf for president
02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
hornets are the odd team out of the playoffs now. lakers spurs nuggets suns jazz blazers mavs and rockets

lefty
02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, Clippers D is impressive

Indazone
02-18-2009, 12:47 PM
The entire NBA applauds this move.

lurker
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Shaq's ego might get bruised from this?
He was having just as much fun as everyone else.

Xylus
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
This current Suns roster will never be a defensive team, I don't care what coach you put them under. Nash, Stoudemire, Barbosa, JRich... these guys are all scorers. And the guys who do play some defense (Shaq, Hill, Barnes), aren't lockdown defenders by any means.

We're not going to win a championship this year, obviously. So you might as well entertain your fans before you lose in the postseason.

Oh, and the Suns might not have made the postseason under Porter, so tell me again why firing him was a bad move? Anyone who says Porter should have been given another chance clearly hasn't watched much of the Suns this year. Porter love = Blatant Suns bashing.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Porter love = Blatant Suns bashing.

I agree, and no exceptions whatsoever. If you're saying the Suns were dumb to fire Porter, then you're bashing the Suns and just saying they should have done the opposite of what they did for no reason.

Red Hawk #21
02-18-2009, 01:18 PM
He was having just as much fun as everyone else.

You don't think Shaq enjoyed when they consistently isolated for him in almost every game? In the run n Gun style he's going to be less involved

pauls931
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
You don't think Shaq enjoyed when they consistently isolated for him in almost every game? In the run n Gun style he's going to be less involved

Shaq should have two jobs.

1. Be on the court when nash is out.
2. Guard Duncan.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
You don't think Shaq enjoyed when he they consistently isolated for him in almost every game? In the run n Gun style he's going to be less involved

He openly said he shouldn't be getting this many touches, he was having just as much fun as anyone else last night. He loved playing for D'antoni.

kcplayboi_26
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
just my opinion but i think they should run like last night but when nothing comes open on the fast break then get in the half court set and pound it with shaq, make sure everyone is cutting hard cuz we knw shaq can pass well. either do that or pick and roll with amare, other than that run it down teams throats......my opinion

lurker
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
You act like this is the first time Shaq will be playing with the run & gun Suns. He played with them last season, and he played pretty damn well and had a blast doing it. I don't remember him making any complaints about not being involved enough.

N4th4n
02-18-2009, 02:54 PM

You are an Idiot if you thought we were in the running this year. You are a total fucking moron if you thought we were going to be a championship team any time in the near future. Porter was totaly wrong for this team. Ya I would rather have fun half a year out of the next four rather then no fun.

MateoNeygro
02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
It was one fucking game. Yah 140 is a lot of points but it was one game. The Nuggets once scored 168 in one game. Big deal. The Suns suck.

MateoNeygro
02-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah, Clippers D is impressive

Amen. :toast

Xylus
02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
it was one fucking game. Yah 140 is a lot of points but it was one game. The nuggets once scored 168 in one game. Big deal. The suns suck.

140 > 4

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
140 > 4

:lmao

well done.

Amarelooms
02-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Amare looms :elephant

Like how my boy is doing a Hook 'em horns sign too....

Ghazi
02-18-2009, 07:14 PM
You gotta be the worst bandwagon jumper in the entire forum. I would guess it has to do with your team being irrelevant again?

Go KNICKS!

Showtime24 LAKERS
02-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Alvin Gentry aint stupid, he knows he probably wont get the job in phoenix; so he is gonna position himself to win as many games as possible, so he is gonna run and gun the entire time. This team is a better team when they are gunning

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Alvin Gentry aint stupid, he knows he probably wont get the job in phoenix

He knows Sarver is gonna low ball him no matter how good he does, so he needs to do extremely well if he wants to get paid.

m33p0
02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
this is certainly better than what porter was trying to cook up.

Findog
02-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Run n' gun, baby!

SenorSpur
02-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Question for Suns fans and followers:

Now that Gentry has returned the team to its former run-and-gun philosophy, how long do you think it will take for the "Big Cactus" to start moaning, groaning and bitching about his touches?

Recall when he got there, he claimed he "only wanted to fit in" and that he was brought there to head up the "Amare Stoudamire" project. Of course, we know how that turned out, as he became the focus of the half-court, post-up, offense under Porter. Now, that Nash is back to running the fun-n-gun, will this suit the Big man? Thoughts?

Ghazi
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Run and Gun more like Run and Done YEAHHHHHH.

I kid, I kid. :toast

pauls931
02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Question for Suns fans and followers:

Now that Gentry has returned the team to its former run-and-gun philosophy, how long do you think it will take for the "Big Cactus" to start moaning, groaning and bitching about his touches?

Recall when he got there, he claimed he "only wanted to fit in" and that he was brought there to head up the "Amare Stoudamire" project. Of course, we know how that turned out, as he became the focus of the half-court, post-up, offense under Porter. Now, that Nash is back to running the fun-n-gun, will this suit the Big man? Thoughts?

Winning will help cover that, also the Cactus has to accept that he's there for defense and covering when nash is off the floor. I didn't watch last night's game or even know who won, but I'm hoping gentry tries this idea rather than keeping nash and shaq on the floor at the same time.

When shaq is on the floor at the same time as nash, he needs to rebound and get the ball up the court as fast as possible, if SSOL does not work, fall into a half court set and let shaq get in position.

A nice thing to see with the run and gun is it gives them a chance to attack defenses before they are set hence utilizing shaq and amare better.

sribb43
02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Sunday will be a nice test for the old/new look suns...the Celtics come to town

SenorSpur
02-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Winning will help cover that, also the Cactus has to accept that he's there for defense and covering when nash is off the floor. I didn't watch last night's game or even know who won, but I'm hoping gentry tries this idea rather than keeping nash and shaq on the floor at the same time.

When shaq is on the floor at the same time as nash, he needs to rebound and get the ball up the court as fast as possible, if SSOL does not work, fall into a half court set and let shaq get in position.

A nice thing to see with the run and gun is it gives them a chance to attack defenses before they are set hence utilizing shaq and amare better.

Easier said than done. Shaq has never been one to readily accept a diminished role.

pauls931
02-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Easier said than done. Shaq has never been one to readily accept a diminished role.

Hopefully he has grown since his LA days and Amare's ego is less than Kobe's. (questionable...) If he wants to win, he'll accept this role and have astronomical rebounding numbers.