PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Dick Stockon

TheWriter
03-06-2005, 10:53 PM
1994 was when Sean came back from the kidney...? :rolleyes

Dumb dumb dumb.

exstatic
03-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Stockton isn't the brightest bulb in the fixture, but he's one of the greatest PBP guys, EVER.

Uncle Donnie
03-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Old age comes with the privilege of being allowed to fuck up once in a while. He's still much better than most of the play by play guys out there today.

T Park
03-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Stockton is pathetic.

He USED to be good.

Put him out to pasture already for christ sake.

exstatic
03-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Still better than 90% of PBP guys out there. He's forgotten more than that substitute stiff that the Spurs use ever knew.

I thought of you tonight TPark on my drive home, listening to the beginning of the Sean tribute. They re-ran the last play of game 5 vs NY, where Sean trapped Spree under the basket, and they didn't use the Jay Howard PBP. I knew that would piss you off. :lol

nacho estrada
03-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Dick Stockton was calling the Finals games in the 80's like LA vs Boston series on CBS.. He's the first commentator I ever heard and although he may be a bit past his prime, he's one of the most knowledgeable NBA pay by play men in NBA history.

exstatic
03-07-2005, 12:30 AM
If you're not Pat Tallman or Jay Howard, TPark thinks you suck.

T Park
03-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Ex, that wouldn't have pissed me off.

It pisses me off when morons try to say Schoening is decent, or OK.

Once again, Stockton being good in the PAST, doesn't mean SHIT now.

Bill Land is pretty good.

Dave Barnett was THE BEST. Dave Barnett rocked on play by play.

Manu20
03-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Dick Stockton is a great commentator eventhough he calls Manu "Mano". :lol At least that is what I hear.

T Park
03-07-2005, 01:22 AM

of course.

Listening to Beno Udrick Mano Ginobili all night is fantastic.

Take what I say to extremes, whatfuckingever.

Experiment2100
03-07-2005, 01:28 AM
I agree that they coule do better than Schoning. I'm just happy they got rid if that guy with the huge nose a couple years ago, he really sucked.

Mark in Austin
03-07-2005, 02:34 AM
If Dick Stockton was still any good, he'd be working for one of the major media market teams, or network.

It is possible to respect the contribution he has made to basketball and still acknowledge that he's reminding us a lot of Hank Aaron and Muhammed Ali's last performances - a lot of stumbling around, a lot of denial, not much grace.

TheWriter
03-07-2005, 05:27 AM
Dick Stockton still does network games. For Football and the NBA.

Mark in Austin
03-07-2005, 06:03 AM
I didn't know he was still doing network NBA games.

MosesGuthrie
03-07-2005, 08:41 AM

That part I agree with. Stan Kelly is a tool.

Jimcs50
03-07-2005, 08:58 AM
He still has it. He made a great quip in the last 4 mins when he said the Spurs are keeping it close so the fans have to stay til the end, in order to keep them from leaving and missing Sean's ceremony. Sean liked that and it probably relaxed Sean some. :)

T Park
03-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah Jim, Stockton still has it.

Moses,

Id be all for bringing in a young, fresher PA announcer, someone who announces players names with some excitement, unlike Stan Kelly's boring stupid ass shit.

MosesGuthrie
03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
I am all for that too....sadly...the trend seems to be more annoying PA guys...the Detroit guy comes to mind.

SpurYank
03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Dick Stockton adds a little class to the small market town that San Antonio represents to the rest of the country. He still does NFL football and most major professional sports on TV.

Even Sean Elliott acknowledged that. What makes all you critiquers so knowledgeable? Whenever I see Stockton doing the game for the Spurs, from up here in the big market East, I always think it's a plus for San Antonio. Like him or not, he carries a little bit of prestige and sophistication with him.

The best S.A. ever had was Terry Stembridge, probably when most of you were in grade school. 'Course, he was on only on radio.

nacho estrada
03-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I am all for that too....sadly...the trend seems to be more annoying PA guys...the Detroit guy comes to mind.

Exactly who I was thinking of when that was said.. BBBBBB BEEEENNN WWWWAAAALLLLLACE!!!! WTF IS that STUTTER ABOUT!!

cherylsteele
03-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Oh yeah Jim, Stockton still has it.

Moses,

Id be all for bringing in a young, fresher PA announcer, someone who announces players names with some excitement, unlike Stan Kelly's boring stupid ass shit.

Can you not express yourself without using profanities?
How about you making a suggestion instead of ridiculing someone.

I think Dick Stockton is great...along with Sean as the color guy.

I personally don't care too much for Lance Blanks. Schoening is so-so as a radio guy....I remember in the 80's Sam Smith...I liked him quite a bit on radio.

Jimcs50
03-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Can you not express yourself without using profanities?
How about you making a suggestion instead of ridiculing someone.

I think Dick Stockton is great...along with Sean as the color guy.

I personally don't care too much for Lance Blanks. Schoening is so-so as a radio guy....I remember in the 80's Sam Smith...I liked him quite a bit on radio.

I do not think TPark can do any type of retort without using profanities....you just have to accept it.

:)

spurster
03-07-2005, 02:59 PM
He makes a few mistakes, but Dick Stockton's voice conveys excitement for the game. Bill Land is ok. Lance Blanks makes me sleepy.

T Park
03-07-2005, 03:06 PM
TV play by play guy??

If I were the Spurs, id give Dave Barnett whatever hes making plus whatever it would take to get him to do play by play.

I think Dick Stockton is great

That shows your level of intelligence right there of course.

So when did Manu change his name to Mano, and Udrih change his name to Udrick

QUESTION[/QUOTE]

MosesGuthrie
03-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Sam Smith was good, as was Dave Barnett.

MosesGuthrie
03-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Dude, T Park...you can't slam the girl as dumb just because you disagree with her. I have seen people do the same to you and you thought it was unfair...which it was. You're better than that.

T Park
03-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Jay Howard was the best, the awards he won from the Texas media proved that.

Ive listened to alot of play by play and Howard was one of the best.

The guy the Spurs had in 96 97 for one year was pretty good.

Papa and Stockton are THE absolute WORST.

T Park
03-07-2005, 03:14 PM
have seen people do the same to you and you thought it was unfair

No, Im used to it.

I dont think I sent the first salvo in that fight Moses.

Apreciate your support though.

MosesGuthrie
03-07-2005, 03:15 PM
That guy was Ron Thulin and he, IMO, was horrid. I liked Greg Papa.

I did like Jay Howard alot as well.

MosesGuthrie
03-07-2005, 03:16 PM
You did with Cheryl. All she did was say she thought Stockton was great...and for that, of which you disagree, you questioned her intellect.

T Park
03-07-2005, 03:18 PM
she also questioned my posting abilities, once again, she fired the first shot.

Ron Thulin >>>>>>>>>>> Papa + Stockton

Papa made lance blanks sound interesting.

He was also dumber than a mud on a fence.

travis2
03-07-2005, 03:19 PM
...and Udrih change his name to Udrick

QUESTION[/QUOTE]

ummmm...maybe when Beno pronounced his name that way?

Stockton puts too much emphasis on the "ck", but yes, it's really supposed to be there.

(It really should be a softer "ck", more from the throat)

Jimcs50
03-07-2005, 03:22 PM
[/B]

Stockton puts too much emphasis on the "ck", but yes, it's really supposed to be there.

(It really should be a softer "ck", more from the throat)[/QUOTE]

Thanks again, Prof Peabody. :)

T Park
03-07-2005, 03:25 PM
travis, then I guess the 99.9% of us that are pronoucing it Udree are wrong.

Schoening, Stan Kelley, the coaching staff......

Uncle Donnie
03-07-2005, 03:26 PM
I'll take Stockton over Joel Myers 7 days a week and twice on Sunday, partner.

travis2
03-07-2005, 03:27 PM
travis, then I guess the 99.9% of us that are pronoucing it Udree are wrong.

Schoening, Stan Kelley, the coaching staff......

Maybe so.

Ask Beno. He's the one who said it, and I heard it with my own ears. And I wasn't the only one.

travis2
03-07-2005, 03:28 PM

(It really should be a softer "ck", more from the throat)

Thanks again, Prof Peabody. :)[/QUOTE]

Now go sit down, Sherman...

T Park
03-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Someone should start correcting coach Bud, Carlisimo, Newman, and them.

THey obviously dont know shit.

Jimcs50
03-07-2005, 03:31 PM

Travis will do that. He is good at correcting us.

travis2
03-07-2005, 03:33 PM

People mispronounce names all the time. Chill out.

T Park
03-07-2005, 03:34 PM
no I find it funny someone on an internet message board knows a guy better than the assitant coaches of his own fuckin team.

travis2
Travis will do that. He is good at correcting us.

Only because I'm right and you're wrong, Jim. :)

Kori Ellis
Everyone pronounces Udrih differently all the time. Pop even sometimes says OODRICK. The problem is that "ck" sound is so soft and we don't really have that sound in English, so it's easier (and Beno even says it this way sometimes) to say OODREE. Most people around the Spurs say it that way, but technically it isn't exactly correct.

Just call him BAY-NO!

Jimcs50
03-07-2005, 03:35 PM
no I find it funny someone on an internet message board knows a guy better than the assitant coaches of his own fuckin team.

TPark, Travis knows more than you do in every subject you can choose...never doubt him.

travis2
03-07-2005, 03:36 PM

TPark, get a life, OK?

Beno pronounced on FSN, while interviewed by Brian Anderson, for all the world to hear. I even posted it when it happened, because there was an on-going discussion concerning that very topic.

I'm so sorry they didn't put out a personal press release so you could be sure and tune in, all right?

You need to find something more important to argue about.

travis2
03-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Everyone pronounces Udrih differently all the time. Pop even sometimes says OODRICK. The problem is that "ck" sound is so soft and we don't really have that sound in English, so it's easier (and Beno even says it this way sometimes) to say OODREE. Most people around the Spurs say it that way, but technically it isn't exactly correct.

Just call him BAY-NO!

What she said.

Slomo
03-07-2005, 03:38 PM
As far as I can remeber there is at least two long threads on this subject.

There's a thread on this subject already! (http://showthread.php?t=6057&highlight=confused)

And here is how Beno himself says it: Link to video. (http://videoimg.woai.com/htm/woai4player.htm?Art_ID=57122)

There is no need for the k substitution at the end if you can say "hello" you can say Udrih (try saying oodree-hello and just leave the "ello" part out).

T Park
03-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Your opinion, I could care less if he did.

Im gonna take the pronounciation of the fuckin coaches over a internet wizkid.

Travis knows more than you do in every subject you can choose

yippie for him, should I be impressed by that.

Slomo
03-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Oh and Kori explained it best! (for a non-Slovenian that is :p)

T Park
03-07-2005, 03:40 PM
You need to find something more important to argue about

if its not important why do you keep arguing.

gracias

Jimcs50
03-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Travis, forget about it. TPark will never aloow a discrepant opinion get by without going ballistic about it.

travis2
03-07-2005, 03:43 PM
if its not important why do you keep arguing.

gracias

Oh, I dunno...sometimes I feel like being a spectator, and sometimes I feel like being a rope supplier.

Today I feel like being a rope supplier.

:lol

Jimcs50
03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
http://www.sighco.com/cgi-bin/image/templates/getarope_big.gif

cherylsteele
03-07-2005, 08:06 PM
TV play by play guy??

If I were the Spurs, id give Dave Barnett whatever hes making plus whatever it would take to get him to do play by play.

That shows your level of intelligence right there of course.

So when did Manu change his name to Mano, and Udrih change his name to Udrick

QUESTION[/QUOTE]

Stockton has forgotten alot more about the game than it looks like you ever knew or will know.

Dave Barnett was not all you make him out to be. I remember him doing a Spurs gave a few years ago he couldn't remember the name of either team playing.....nor could he look and see how much time was on the clock. This, BTW, also happen on a few other occasions.

I am not going to hold that against Barnett, but if you want to be picky about dates gone by, and that Stockton was mistaken then than fine....but make sure that when you bring up an alternative that you be ready to back up your choice the same way you denounce others.

I also thought Coby Dietriech was a pretty good analyst as well.