PDA

View Full Version : WAR on cell phones

SpurGal
09-23-2004, 01:14 AM
What If It's an emergency? :shock

MONTERREY, Mexico (Reuters) - Some Mexican churches are using state-of-the-art technology developed by Israeli electronic warfare experts to silence cell phones that ring during mass, church officials said on Tuesday.

Four churches in the northern city of Monterrey, which lies some two hours by car south of the Texas border, are using equipment made by Israeli telecoms equipment firm Netline Communications Technologies to block incoming calls during services.

"Before we had the system, it was very uncomfortable hearing calls coming in during the celebration of mass. But now it's 95 percent quiet," said Bulmaro Carranza, a caretaker at the city's Baroque-style Sacred Heart church.

Johnny Blaze 47
09-23-2004, 02:20 AM
How hard is it for people to simply put their phones on vibrate?

The only real time I leave my ringer on is in my house since I usually have other noises going on and in the truck while I'm driving (unless I have it in my shirt pocket), but then, as soon as I get off of my truck, I immediately put it on vibrate and in my pocket.

That's one major thing that gets my goat here at school.

maxpower
09-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Some people are just idiots. They have no concept of the world around.

I feel the same way ..especially at movie theaters. I think some people just "need" to feel wanted and have to answer any and every incoming call...if at least to let the caller know they are at the theater. I wonder sometimes if these mensas realize most cell plans have voice mail included for times when one is unable to answer the phone.

Jimcs50
09-23-2004, 11:53 AM
I do not want to be ina a public place and have to listen to some jerk carry on a conversation. There was a reason why they had phone booths. My wife and I were in Barnes and Noble a couple of months ago and this girl was talking rather loudly about her upcoming wedding. Everyone is in there to enjoy browsing through books, magazines, or study and this insensitve bitch is going on and on for anyone within 30ft of her about something that none of us want to listen to. So my wife pulls a chair right up in front of her where the girl was sitting on a bench, I mean 2 ft away, right in her face and starts to look through a magazine, just flipping pages, well, the girl gets the message and leaves....that was so damn sweet. :lol

Useruser666
09-23-2004, 12:26 PM
I thought you were going to say your wife pulls out a chair and WWE's her with it. That would be sweeter!

Useruser666 :eyebrow

Shelly
09-23-2004, 12:34 PM
My husband put a sign up in his waiting room asking people to turn off their cells. Which everyone ignores. When he goes into a room and one of his patients is on the phone and does not hang up, he leaves and makes them wait longer.

My phone has 15 minutes of free time on it. It's for emergencies or if I'm not home and the school needs to get a hold of me, etc. I do not want to be found nor do I want to talk to you while I'm at HEB.

bigzak25
09-23-2004, 01:00 PM
i didn't get a cell phone til i got married....got one each for me and wifey.......it's like a very long leash.

i don't take it into movies, and i don't take it into work....

and i'm not afraid of missing a call. if it's important, they call back.

Shelly
09-23-2004, 01:02 PM
and i'm not afraid of missing a call. if it's important, they call back.

And 95% of the calls aren't. I think cell phones are great. Unfortunately, people abuse them.

SpursWoman
09-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Either I don't have the ringer on, or the battery is dead. :)

Samurai Jane
09-23-2004, 01:50 PM
^^ Me too! :lol My husband is always on my case about it too.

Hook Dem
09-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Ask yourself what you did before cel phones. You probably didn't even go to the pay phone. I think they are just cosmetic in most cases to make one look like they belong. Cut the leash and live again!

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-23-2004, 02:42 PM
**** getting rid of cell phones...I'm not even sure how we did business before cell phones...I know there was a lot of wasted motion...I have been using mobiles since the first Motorola "brick" phones that I paid $1200 for...and it was worth every penny...I have all my employees on company cell phones (that they get to use for personal business also...it's "their" number)...and the phones probably make us an additional $1000 a week by being able to catch guys and divert them to other places without wasted time...

maxpower
09-23-2004, 03:20 PM
www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm (http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm)

I'd get this just for movie theaters.

bigzak25
09-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Cut the leash and live again!

cell phones mean you don't have to check in at all times....

if wifey needs to get a hold of me, just call me.....and it's not like i'm forced to answer....which is another perk. :p

SpurGal
09-23-2004, 03:23 PM
cell phones mean you don't have to check in at all times....

:)

Shelly
09-23-2004, 04:06 PM
or the battery is dead

that too! :lol

DuffMcCartney
09-23-2004, 06:11 PM
I don't have a cell phone...I'm a communist.

SpurGal
09-24-2004, 01:39 AM

:shock

Mark in Austin
09-24-2004, 02:44 AM
How hard is it for people to simply put their phones on vibrate?

But that could lead to impure thoughts in a house of God, especially if somebody just won't stop calling.

Alamo Spurs Fan
09-24-2004, 03:13 AM

Screw you, cheap bastard. Keep a comrade gainfully employed!

Sincerely,
The People's Republic of Verizon

SpurGal
09-24-2004, 07:58 PM
But that could lead to impure thoughts in a house of God, especially if somebody just won't stop calling.

It would be like having an :angel on one shoulder and a :evil on the other.

Pooh
09-24-2004, 08:03 PM
I only use my cell phone when I absolutely have to. Then at night when I have the free minutes. If I was on that plan by Cingluar, my normal minutes would allow me to be on the phone for over a year tops.

SpurGal
09-24-2004, 08:25 PM
I've had Sprint for 7 years now. I'm still waiting for them to offer me an affordable plan. :depressed

DuffMcCartney
09-24-2004, 10:05 PM
I think camera phones are prett kick ass...and I am excited to see what else is gonna come on the market in a few years.

SpursWoman
09-24-2004, 10:23 PM
I've got a camera/video phone. I've got LJ hoola-hooping... :lol

8o

Johnny Blaze 47
09-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Spurswoman, what you need to do the next time your contract is nearly up is to ask for the Retention Dept. at Sprint.

Tell them that your contract is nearly up and you'd like to see what offers they can pass along to you. With your (I'm sure) good standing with them for seven years, they should easily give you an unadvertised plan.

I did that when my first contract was up and they gave me a good plan for the money I was paying. I ended up paying five dollars more (which they liked) for a plan worth $25 more. Basically, as long as they can insure an account where they don't have to put more money out to keep (IE: a new account), they'll work with you.

Blondie4Spurs
09-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Either I don't have the ringer on, or the battery is dead.

:lol that is so true. In all the years I have known Christy she has answered her phone twice! :lol

SpurGal
09-29-2004, 01:17 AM
MRS. ROSE? :shock

SpursWoman
09-29-2004, 01:50 AM
I think you meant that for SpurGal, Johnny... :)

I've had Sprint for about 8 years....I know how to get all kinds of good stuff out of them. :)

Sorry, Jackie.....Tammy actually calls my mother to tell me to answer my damn phone/or charge it/check my messages. :o :lol

Das Texan
09-29-2004, 09:55 AM
I've had Sprint for 7 years now. I'm still waiting for them to offer me an affordable plan.

arent you like 18 or somethin?

so that would mean you've had a fucking cell phone since you were 11.

what the ****.

Jimcs50
09-29-2004, 10:55 AM
SpurGal, sell the Hummer, then you will have enough money to not worry about affordable plans....right?

Useruser666
09-29-2004, 11:08 AM
I had ATT for 7 years. They are the WORST!!!! I now have cingular. Yes, I know they bought ATT, but the ATT service STILL didn't improve! Cingular has good plans for the money and with role over minutes it's tough to beat. You can add extra phones for only $9.99 a month, which is great for families. Their reception and coverage was a MILLION times better than ATT. And I had tried several different phones with ATT and none of them worked worth a damn with their service.

Useruser666 :eyebrow

bigzak25
09-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Two phones, 75 bux, 1000 rollover anytime minutes.

Cingular. 2 year contracts, upgrade phones every two years for cheap.

Johnny Blaze 47
09-29-2004, 11:22 AM
I can't believe I JUST realized that, S-Dub.

I must be :drunk even though I don't. :wacko

Anyway, my long-ass quote was meant for SpurGal.