PDA

View Full Version : Barbosa Trade Rumor....UGGH

Xylus
02-18-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2009/2/17/762517/hey-obama-phoenix-suns-own

Hey Obama, Phoenix Suns owners need some stimulus too
By Phoenix Stan

President Obama touched down in Phoenix this afternoon just hours after signing the massive $790 billion stimulus package. While the Hoopster-in-Chief is here in town for some policy speech on housing foreclosures or something, I am hoping our team's chief executive can grab a few minutes of his time to lobby for a little fiscal love too.

The Phoenix Suns are currently sitting with the 8th highest payroll at $75m this season and are looking at paying about $4m extra for being over the $71m luxury tax line.

Next season the Suns currently have under contract 10 players whose salaries total $76m, and that doesn't include Grant Hill or the other two players the team needs to have on the roster to meet the mandated minimum number of 13 players. That means you are looking at about an $80m payroll.

That's for a season in which it is widely anticipated that the luxury tax line will be lower than it is now. The Suns, if they make no moves, will be looking at a luxury tax bill that would easily be $10m.

What do you think the Suns ownership group -- in this economic climate, facing an almost certain decline in season ticket sales and sponsorship revenue -- is going to do about that? Would you want to pay $10m extra in tax money that goes directly into the pockets of franchise owners who are below the line for a team that has almost no chance of competing for a championship?

I didn't think so.

That brings us to Thursday's trade deadline and Leandro Barbosa. With it looking more and more likely that the Suns will hang on to Amare for the rest of this season, Leandro becomes the one expendable asset on the roster. A guy whose contract is a reasonable $6-$7m per year for the next 3 years. A guy who is coming into his own as a basketball player.

It is my understanding that the discussions are underway to send our Brazilian Blur to Memphis, a team with only $52m on the books which allows them to take The Blur and not have to send back any players at all. You heard that right. We could trade Leandro for a 2nd round pick and that's exactly what might happen.

This would be a horrible, horrible trade. Easily one of the best Sixth Men in the league, and we might trade him for garbage?

crc21209
02-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Lol. Sounds like something the Suns would do. Steve Kerr is royally fucking that team up.

dirk4mvp
02-18-2009, 02:01 PM
lmao suns

Xylus
02-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Lol. Sounds like something the Suns would do. Steve Kerr is royally fucking that team up.

This is all Sarver, man.

lurker
02-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Steve Nash would not be a happy camper.

turiaf for president
02-18-2009, 02:03 PM
well give you mihm and morrison =D

Xylus
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM
well give you mihm and morrison =D

So instead of one piece of garbage, you'd give us two.

crc21209
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM
That would leave the Suns with no bench whatsoever.

lil_penny
02-18-2009, 02:08 PM
lafrentz sound good to you?

ATRAIN
02-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Xylus, you have always been the only suns poster that I didnt hate and for that im sorry for what your team has become over the last 2 years.

Xylus
02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Xylus, you have always been the only suns poster that I didnt hate and for that im sorry for what your team has become over the last 2 years.

I appreciate that, but you're telling me you don't like Spork Killer?

pauls931
02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
He was the one player I wanted to trade before the matrix, bell, and diaw... With them gone, he's become more important.

scanry
02-18-2009, 02:35 PM
This would be a horrible, horrible trade. Easily one of the best Sixth Men in the league, and we might trade him for garbage?

I don't think you're even going to get garbage. :wow

IronMexican
02-18-2009, 02:42 PM
I appreciate that, but you're telling me you don't like Spork Killer?

:rollin

You're easily the coolest Suns fan here. There are a lot of cool Suns fans on this board, though.

And yeah, Phoenix would really fuck themselves up with that trade.

pauls931
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
guess the economy is starting to get at the NBA... Layoffs, crappy deals, popcorn without salt...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm gonna be REALLY fuckin pissed if they trade Barbosa now that he finally has a clue and is turning into a complete player.

Youd

jack sommerset
02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
This economy meltdown is for real bitches. The last thing people are going to do is spend the CRAZY money for a NBA game. It will effect next season BIG time.

pauls931
02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
This economy meltdown is for real bitches. The last thing people are going to do is spend the CRAZY money for a NBA game. It will effect next season BIG time.

One solution is for sports figures be paid in more realistic terms...

Trainwreck2100
02-18-2009, 03:44 PM
know who's gonna be the guy that doesn't show up when they play the Spurs?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 03:50 PM
know who's gonna be the guy that doesn't show up when they play the Spurs?

When Barbosa has played SG against the Spurs, he's been decent. The past 2 playoff series D'antoni for some reason decided to play him at point and it backfired horribly.

turiaf for president
02-18-2009, 04:14 PM
So instead of one piece of garbage, you'd give us two.

yea salaries gotta work =D

lefty
02-18-2009, 04:20 PM

CIA Spurs :hat

TheProfessor
02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
It was bad when it happened with Thomas, but this would be inexcusable.

RonMexico
02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
They would somehow send Barbosa to the Grizzlies for a 2nd round pick and even offer to pay Ivaroni's departure salary + $6m.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Scola thread! Wait...what?

RonMexico
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm gonna be REALLY fuckin pissed if they trade Barbosa now that he finally has a clue and is turning into a complete player.

Youd

He's turning into a better player, but I wouldn't say a complete player yet. He still has the physical tools to be top 5 in steals and he needs to stop shooting the Suns out of quarters and distribute the ball more when he's forced to play PG. He also needs to balance his attempts at thefts with sound close-out defense because the Suns' big men rarely rotate for weak side help.

Last night, however, was one of the more complete games I've seen from him and it was very fun to watch. He's also getting a lot better at finishing near the rim, but he really should learn to embrace contact and get to the line because he often avoids the defenders and then leaves himself with a ridiculous shot attempt. (Needs to watch film of AI from 97-03.)

JMarkJohns
02-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Xylus, you have always been the only suns poster that I didnt hate...

F*ck you! :p:

You're easily the coolest Suns fan here.

Wait... WHAT?! BARBOSA FOR NOTHING?!

No... nevermind... Robert Sarver, FUCK YOU!

Xylus
02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Sorry JMark, you haven't posted enough to be in the running for coolest Suns fan at the present moment. You shouldn't have any trouble retaking the crown, though.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Heavy is the head... no thanks. I like this no pressure posting :)

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I personally think SPORK KILLER!!! Or however he spells it is the shit.

dirk4mvp
02-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Spork Killer isn't that bad. He's a funny version of de Soto.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Sorry JMark, you haven't posted enough to be in the running for coolest Suns fan at the present moment. You shouldn't have any trouble retaking the crown, though.

To join the chorus, You are pretty freakin' awesome... Back when I gave a damn about .net, you, EthanCowen and Vladimir_Taltos were the only ones I ever gave attention to. If you can withstand the nauseating homerism of .net and still be as open minded as you have been, you clearly deserve the praise. You're a far better post than I am for having stomached the grief that site must give you. I know they've hated on me, but I no longer read them, so I never have to face it. Being that I never cared to join their circle jerk, it's just another tip of the cap to you for having done so and still being an incredible post.

Now... enough with the overly-sentimental crap!!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 07:36 PM
planetorange.net is garbage. AZC owns that worthless forum.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2009, 07:37 PM
planetorange.net is garbage. AZC owns that worthless forum.

I was talking about phxsuns.net. I am not on the up and up enough to know if we are still talking about the same site, however...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I was talking about phxsuns.net. I am not on the up and up enough to know if we are still talking about the same site, however...

probably....you seem to be describing planetorange.net, a bunch of homers with no real incite or useful posts.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Nope. Different sites. Probably a lot of crossover, but still two different sites.

http://phxsuns.net/

Is a closed membership site where you must be invited or recommended to join, by and large. Very critical of opposing views. Many times they will gang up and belittle a dissenting opinion until that post stops posting, converts to vomiting sunshine or is banned - yes banned... Don't know if it's still this bad. It used to be.

They have a ton of great Suns info, but too heavy with its rah-rah interpretation of it all. I would often shake my head in disgust while reading threads.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Nope. Different sites. Probably a lot of crossover, but still two different sites.

http://phxsuns.net/

Is a closed membership site where you must be invited or recommended to join, by and large. Very critical of opposing views. Many times they will gang up and belittle a dissenting opinion until that post stops posting, converts to vomiting sunshine or is banned - yes banned... Don't know if it's still this bad. It used to be.

They have a ton of great Suns info, but too heavy with its rah-rah interpretation of it all. I would often shake my head in disgust while reading threads.

planetorange.net is free membership to all but they ban anyone with any non-homer views. I got banned for creating a "Trade Amare" Thread.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2009, 07:50 PM
planetorange.net is free membership to all but they ban anyone with any non-homer views. I got banned for creating a "Trade Amare" Thread.

I spent my early years on ESPN.com and AZcentral.com's original message board espousing the utter worthlessness of phxsuns.net. I'm not very well liked. I have no idea if they even pay any attention to me anymore, but as recently as a few years back they still spoke of me with guile! It was awesome. Obviously they are still running, but i hope my criticism from the outside and Xylus' strength from the inside have helped remold the mentality of the site.

I think boards that don't celebrate differing views are worthless. That's why I parked myself here. Was greeted with a "Hey Fuckhole" reply, but that was awesome as well. Can't see myself posting and not posting here.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 07:54 PM
I spent my early years on ESPN.com and AZcentral.com's original message board espousing the utter worthlessness of phxsuns.net

AZC is where it's at.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
I had over 10,000 posts before they switched models...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I had over 10,000 posts before they switched models...

I'll bet some people posting back then still post there now.

JMarkJohns
02-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Maybe. Tough to say. They basically started the entire process over, so many ended up changing monikers.

IronMexican
02-18-2009, 09:31 PM

Wait... WHAT?! BARBOSA FOR NOTHING?!

No... nevermind... Robert Sarver, FUCK YOU!

You're a cool fan too :toast just like DoK, Xylus and kcplaybboy.

I probably would have hated ALL of you two years ago.

kcplayboi_26
02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
You're a cool fan too :toast just like DoK, Xylus and kcplaybboy.

I probably would have hated ALL of you two years ago.

thanx bro:toast

JMarkJohns
02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
What do I care what a former Lakers-fan-turned-Wizards-fan thinks?! :)