PDA

View Full Version : Salmons/Miller to the Bulls

ss1986v2
02-18-2009, 04:44 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/02/18/bulls.kings.trade/index.html

The Kings agreed on Wednesday to a trade that sends forward John Salmons and center Brad Miller to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for forwards Drew Gooden and Andres Nocioni, according to league sources. The deal will reduce Sacramento's obligations next season, saving the Kings millions on the salary cap and keeping them well under any potential luxury tax payments. Gooden, making $7.15 million this season, will likely come off the team's cap after this year, and now, the team is free of the $5.4 million due to Salmons in 2009 and the $12 million due to Miller in '09.

crc21209
02-18-2009, 04:45 PM
WOW, well there that idea goes. Well guys now NO BIGS are available...any ideas? Besides Sheed.....And Salmons is now outta the picture. So that leaves us with VC, Jefferson, Sheed?

Brazil
02-18-2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/02/18/bulls.kings.trade/index.html

at least one less in the list

DBMethos
Things are happening. C'mon Spurs...make lemonade out of limes!

ManuTP9
shiiiit

crc21209
02-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Well at least Miller and Salmons didnt go to a Western Conference rival ala Portland or someone else.

ss1986v2

:lol

coyotes_geek
Sheed is not on the list. There's no reason for the Pistons to trade him to us. Maybe Vince, maybe RJ, probably neither.

timvp
02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Damn, Salmon was a good option if Carter doesn't work out. Now it's getting close to Carter or bust.

I would consider Nocioni but it just looks like his body is breaking down.

meestahmeestah
02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Damn...woulda been nice if Nocioni was openly available. Pretty sure that means Amare is staying in PHX (or at least not going to Chicago) since Gooden's salary would have made most of the salary component going to PHX and Miller is the veteran big they wanted to trade for.

braeden0613
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
im holding out a little hope for RJ, but at this point i dont see any trades happening

BWS-1994
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
More pressure to the FO.

lurker23
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
I had a feeling they wanted to get rid of them both in one fell swoop. Bulls had better pieces than us.

Just for the fun of it, anyone think something like this would have any legs whatsoever?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bkpwnt

(With Horry resigned at $4.2 instead of trading Thomas.)

I realize this is a lot of guys for Sac to take back, but they get both contracts off their books, ~$6.5 mil in expiring contracts, Oberto's non-guaranteed deal for next year, and can buy out Bowen.

Brazil
02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Damn, Salmon was a good option if Carter doesn't work out. Now it's getting close to Carter or bust.

We go direct for the contrary of the Mason shoot against Boston: No no no ... yeeeesssss, for the trade deadline it will be a yes yes ... yes.... damn no

crc21209
02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
5-Player deal

Sources: Bulls, Kings pull off deal

The Chicago Bulls and Sacramento Kings have reached tentative agreement on a trade sending Andres Nocioni, Drew Gooden and Cedric Simmons to the Kings for Brad Miller and John Salmons, ESPN.com.

One source said the Bulls players were pulled off the team bus Wednesday afternoon and were told they had been traded.

Michael Ruffin of the Bulls also was told be was being traded to Portland in a separate deal, the source added.

Another source said the trade was expected to be finalized by Wednesday evening.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3916703

MarHill
02-18-2009, 04:54 PM
More pressure to the FO.

No pressure!

I just believe the FO were not going over the luxury tax! Especially since the financial climate is not great right now.

Unless, the Spurs get a guy from a salary dump perspective...this is the team they are going with.

:flag:

PDXSpursFan
02-18-2009, 04:54 PM

The problem is that the only limes we have available look like this:

http://www.brettonstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/limes-8x6.jpg

2Cleva
02-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Well at least Miller and Salmons didnt go to a Western Conference rival ala Portland or someone else.

Or San Antonio.

:toast

superbigtime
02-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I think we missed out on this one. Spurs could have done better than this surely. I really hope something is in the works, but it is becoming a fainter hope.

Spurminator
02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Spurs could have done better than this surely.

How?

benefactor
02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
No surprises here. Chicago had a much better offer and was willing to take both.

Unless Detroit wants to just dump Sheed, we will probably bring up Pops and go with what we got.

benefactor
02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
I think we missed out on this one. Spurs could have done better than this surely. I really hope something is in the works, but it is becoming a fainter hope.
You can't be serious.

coyotes_geek
02-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I think we missed out on this one. Spurs could have done better than this surely.

Not really. Best the Spurs could have done would be some kind of 5 player for 2 swap where the Kings end up having to cut a bunch of people. The deal with the Bulls is much cleaner. Plus Nocioni is a guy they can use going forward. All the Spur spare parts would have just been filler. No value there for the Kings once the deal gets made. Getting those guys out of the conference might also have played a part here.

02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Now it's getting close to Carter or bust.
when did the spurs ever get to that??? unless ginobili's injury is more severe.

superbigtime
02-18-2009, 05:05 PM
I think Hill is overvalued by the Spurs FO. And maybe undervalued by other teams. Is Salmons > Mason? He's a better shooter and can score, but RM has shown how clutch he can be. Their game and ball handling abilities are similar. I say it's sort of a tie.

Now is Hill better than Brad Miller? NO. He just has more upside. And around the league this year there have been alot of surprise players. But Miller no question fills an immediate need for the Spurs. He could do ALOT for this team. People who are down on him on some of these posts, I'm just not seeing eye to eye with.

Clippers aren't looking to deal Camby. Unless there's a Vince trade, some long shot D-leaguer in the works, or a Mahinmi return (yeah, right) I think this is our team.

EricB
02-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Yup.

Jefferson IMO is a pipe dream because the Spurs don't have the ending contracts the Bucks want probobly.

benefactor
02-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I think Hill is overvalued by the Spurs FO. And maybe undervalued by other teams. Is Salmons > Mason? He's a better shooter and can score, but RM has shown how clutch he can be. Their game and ball handling abilities are similar. I say it's sort of a tie.

Now is Hill better than Brad Miller? NO. He just has more upside. And around the league this year there have been alot of surprise players. But Miller no question fills an immediate need for the Spurs. He could do ALOT for this team. People who are down on him on some of these posts, I'm just not seeing eye to eye with.

Clippers aren't looking to deal Camby. Unless there's a Vince trade, some long shot D-leaguer in the works, or a Mahinmi return (yeah, right) I think this is our team.
You are forgetting that the Kings got to move both of them with one trade. Please explain how the Spurs could acquire both and offer better.

Oh, and you should stop watching basketball if you think Mason=Salmons.

MarHill
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I believe Spurs fans on this forum were getting way too excited about the possible trades for Sheed, VC, Miller....etc without looking at the financial situation.

It is always easy to spend someone else's money. But, the Spurs like most NBA teams are not going over the cap to pay the luxury tax. Look at what NO just did and basically gave away Tyson Chandler. Look at the Suns and their owner freaking out about the luxury tax. The Kings just traded two of their big money contracts because of the luxury tax.

And their has been more talk about Raef LaFrentz's expiring contract than his playing ability....sheesh!!

Unless, someone is going to dump salary for the Spurs...this is the team they are going with.

:flag:

superbigtime
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm just laying out some thoughts here man.

Borosai
02-18-2009, 05:20 PM
The problem is that the only limes we have available look like this:

http://www.brettonstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/limes-8x6.jpg

Scrote limes. Yum.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
From the Spurs' perspective, so what? Miller was not really what we need, and although I really like Salmons, we were never gonna land him with the dross we have to offer.

Nice move by the Bulls who are giving up very little to land a great player in Salmons, and free up space to continue to develop Ty Thomas.

xellos88330
02-18-2009, 05:36 PM
trade deadline is over at noon tomorrow right?

loveforthegame
02-18-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57362/20090218/blazers_to_acquire_ruffin_for_diogu/

After receiving Michael Ruffin in the John Salmons, Brad Miller trade with Chicago, the Kings will flip him to Portland in exchange for Ike Diogu and approximately $1 million in cash.

Destro
02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
already posted--

coyotes_geek
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
This trade just proves our FO is a joke! If the Bulls got both players for that trash they sent do you mean to tell me we couldnt have got at lease of of them? Looks like we are gonna sit back and be happy being a loser this year, way to waste another year because we are too cheap to make a deal.

The Kings wanted to dump both guys at once and what they got from the Bulls was far better than anything the Spurs had to offer.

EricB
02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
This trade just proves our FO is a joke! If the Bulls got both players for that trash they sent do you mean to tell me we couldnt have got at lease of of them? Looks like we are gonna sit back and be happy being a loser this year, way to waste another year because we are too cheap to make a deal.

Spoken like a true retard.

urunobili
02-18-2009, 08:56 PM
more on the trade:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3916703

The Chicago Bulls and Sacramento Kings have reached tentative agreement on a trade sending Andres Nocioni, Drew Gooden, Michael Ruffin and Cedric Simmons to the Kings for Brad Miller and John Salmons, front-office sources said on Wednesday.

The Kings would then turn around and ship Ruffin to the Portland Trail Blazers for forward Ike Diogu and cash considerations, sources told ESPN's Chris Broussard.

One source told ESPN.com that the Bulls players were pulled off the team bus Wednesday afternoon and were told they had been traded.

"I've been traded before and the way I look at it is it means somebody wants you," Gooden said, according to the Chicago Tribune. "Sacramento has been interested in me for a couple years, so maybe something can work out long-term there. If not, I'm an unrestricted free agent this summer, so I'm auditioning for other teams."

Talks between Sacramento and Chicago moved to an advanced stage this week, as ESPN.com reported earlier Wednesday, after the Kings were unsuccessful packaging Miller and Salmons in a deal with New York.

The Chicago-Sacramento trade is likely to be finalized later Wednesday, but one source close to the process cautioned that the deal could still be expanded to include additional players.

Another source indicated that the Kings had hoped to convince Chicago to accept center Mikki Moore instead of Salmons so Sacramento could trade Salmons in a separate move. The Bulls, though, want Salmons and the Kings did not oppose it because of long-term financial savings they're gaining from the trade.

Miller is averaging 11.9 points and 8.0 rebounds per game for the 11-43 Kings. One of the better passing big men in the league, Miller has made two All-Star teams and actually played for the Bulls from 2000 to '02.

This will be the third team for Salmons in his seven-year career. He is averaging a career-high 18.3 points per game, well above his career mark of 8.3.

The gritty Nocioni has played his entire five-year career with the Bulls, averaging 11.7 points and 5.0 rebounds over that time bouncing between the starting five and the bench. He signed a five-year extension in 2007.

"I'm not surprised," Nocioni said, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. "There have been a lot of rumors. I'm all right. I was waiting for this.

"But I don't feel bad the way I'm leaving. It's not like I did something wrong. I wasn't playing my best this season. But I gave everything to this team. I played hard every day whether in practice or in games. I'm a competitive person and I leave this team the best way I could. The only thing I feel bad about is I'm leaving a good team, good players and good coaches. I really enjoyed being with the Bulls. But this is the NBA life. Things like this can happen."

Gooden was traded to the Bulls last season in the deal that sent Ben Wallace to the Cleveland Cavaliers. He was averaging 13.1 points and 8.6 rebounds in an injury-plagued season. The number that likely interested the Kings the most, however, is the $7.2 million that will come off their books this summer since he has an expiring contract. Simmons also has an expiring contract, so the Kings basically traded the salaries of Miller and Salmons for Nocioni's.

"I enjoyed my time in Chicago," Gooden said, according to the Tribune. "It's a good bunch of guys and great management. They treat players with respect. I just wish we had won more and I had been healthier."

The Sacramento Bee reported on its Web site Wednesday that the Kings also offered Miller and Salmons to New Jersey in a deal that would net Ryan Anderson, Stromile Swift, Trenton Hassell and Eduardo Najera.

Chicago's ability to land Salmons would deeply disappoint two Southwest Division rivals -- Dallas and San Antonio -- which have been chasing the 29-year-old. Portland and Oklahoma City have also been frequently linked with Salmons.

With an offer of Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka, San Antonio viewed Salmons as a far more affordable trade target for its perimeter rotation than Vince Carter. New Jersey's Carter has tempted the small-market Spurs for days but can be absorbed by them only in a hugely expensive and complicated deal.

The Mavericks have been offering Jerry Stackhouse's virtual expiring contract ($7 million this season, only $2 million guaranteed next season) to the Kings since this past summer, when Sacramento was shopping Ron Artest. The biggest obstacle for Dallas on a Salmons deal had been the Kings' insistence that the Mavericks -- lacking draft picks to sweeten the deal -- also take back guard Beno Udrih, who has four years and nearly $27 million remaining on his contract after this season.

There has been another complication for interested parties: Sources revealed Tuesday that Salmons has a 15 percent trade kicker in his contract that requires the team that acquires him to pay him a bonus of nearly $2 million and add that figure to its payroll. Salmons otherwise would rank as one of the league's better bargains, earning just $5.1 million this season while averaging 18.3 points and shooting 47.2 percent from the field and 41.8 percent on 3-pointers.

Spork KIller
02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
WOW, well there that idea goes. Well guys now NO BIGS are available...any ideas? Besides Sheed.....And Salmons is now outta the picture. So that leaves us with VC, Jefferson, Sheed?

You ain't getting shit...bitch!

SequSpur
02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
lmao.. spurs got nothing