PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ginobili feels pressure points

Kori Ellis
03-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Ginobili feels pressure points
Web Posted: 03/07/2005 12:00 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030705.8D.BKNspurs.ginobili.112c57429.html

Tim Duncan clinched two close games for the Spurs in the three games that preceded Sunday's matchup with the Utah Jazz at SBC Center, hitting a buzzer-beating jump shot to beat the Cleveland Cavaliers and another 17-footer to lock up a victory over the Chicago Bulls.

But Duncan was in the Spurs' locker room nursing a sprained right ankle for the final 20 minutes Sunday. That left the crunch-time heroics to Manu Ginobili, a player who welcomes pressure situations.

Sunday's game was in the balance, the Spurs clinging to a 93-91 lead with 39.2 seconds left to play, when Spurs' coach Gregg Popovich called a 20-second timeout to set up a play for Ginobili, his All-Star guard.

Ginobili started a drive from outside the foul circle and pulled up for a shot from the foul line. He missed the shot, but Utah's Raja Bell was called for pushing him, and Ginobili made both free throws, giving the Spurs a four-point cushion with 30.5 seconds left.

It lacked the dramatics of Duncan's game-deciding jumpers, but the play had the same ultimate effect: assuring another Spurs victory.

"Manu's been in a lot of big games," Popovich said, "both in the NBA and overseas for quite a few years now, even though he's a young guy. He doesn't feel pressure. He relishes it. He did a great job tonight, being aggressive and, obviously, going to the line."

Ginobili and Bell waged a spirited battle throughout the game. Bell eventually fouled out when he gave Ginobili a hard shove with 9.7 seconds left. It was Bell's second hard foul on Ginobili. He was called for a flagrant foul late in the first half when he grabbed Ginobili's left arm and spun him into the crowd as Ginobili drove to the basket. The play riled the partisan crowd but also resulted in two foul shots and retention of the ball for the Spurs.

Ginobili didn't get angry. He got even, turning the foul into a four-point mistake by hitting a reverse layin, off a slick pass from Duncan, after making both free throws.

"We know that Utah is a tough team, very aggressive," Ginobili said, diplomatically, of Bell's flagrant foul.

Bell disagreed strenuously with the foul called on him on Ginobili's pull-up jumper with 30.5 seconds left. Asked afterward if he had fouled Ginobili, he turned coy.

"There's not a lot that I can say to you tonight that will allow me to keep my money in my pocket," Bell said, aware the league fines players for negative comments about officiating, "so I won't elaborate on that."

Ginobili said the Spurs knew what to do when Duncan departed with the ankle sprain. He also knew he wanted the ball in the final two minutes.

"Of course, it's very hard, especially the way we play," Ginobili said of losing the team's leading scorer and rebounder. "But we have to keep playing the same way. Everybody's got to start contributing a little more, everybody go to the boards more; everybody sharing the basketball and looking for the open guy.

"Probably Tony and me are going to have the ball in our hands a little more, but I don't think it's going to be such a big difference, except in the clutch. The only difference is going to be in the last couple minutes."

Ginobilli didn't make a shot in the final two minutes, but he was perfect at the foul line in eight attempts.

"Manu was hot tonight," Parker said, "so I was not worried to put the ball in his hands and see what happened."

MaNuMaNiAc
03-07-2005, 02:08 AM
"Manu was hot tonight," Parker said, "so I was not worried to put the ball in his hands and see what happened."
I'd say! lol

Rummpd
03-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Bell is a thug. He should be suspended for that play which could have injured Manu.