PDA

View Full Version : Hornets/Thunder trade nullified

completely deck
02-18-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11637

The Oklahoma City Thunder have rescinded the trade that brought them Tyson Chandler from the New Orleans Hornets. The official word is that Chandler, who has been out nursing an ankle injury, failed his physical upon arrival in Oklahoma City.
New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower says the team will "welcome Chandler back with open arms."

HOOPSWORLD's Steve Kyler is in New Orleans tonight, with the hope being that we could get some interviews and photos of Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith, the newest members of the Hornets. The two didn't suit up, however, and were not made available to the media pre-game, as had been expected.

We now know that the Hornets were waiting for word from OKC that Chandler had passed his physical.
It's expected that the Thunder will make a subsequent deal to move their highly-coveted front court players elsewhere, though it seems unlikely they would land a player of Chandler's caliber with so little time left between now and the trade deadline to work out the details.

Didn't see this posted anywhere

Shastafarian
02-18-2009, 11:02 PM
no way...

Shastafarian
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Let's get Joe Smith here ASAP!

MarHill
02-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Wow that's strange!!!

Holt's Cat
02-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Odd that OKC would nix that. Presti must have something else in the works.

ezau
02-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Who would've thought

tp2021
odd that okc would nix that. Presti must have something else in the works.

with the spurs!

timvp
Damn it. The Paul to Chandler alleyoop lives :pctoss

coyotes_geek
02-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Chandler's ankle must be worse than the Hornets were letting on.

tomtom
02-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Let's get Joe Smith here ASAP!

no and thank you

timvp
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Bowen and a pick for Joe Smith wouldn't hurt the bigman depth. Better yet, maybe Oberto and Udoka for Joe Smith.

Shastafarian
02-18-2009, 11:11 PM
How about some trash for Chandler? We've already got one guy with an ankle problem. Might as well get him a buddy.

timvp
02-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Chandler's ankle must be worse than the Hornets were letting on.My first thought was that his back injury from a few years ago.

Mark in Austin
02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
damn. i had crossed NO off the contender list. They're a totally different team with Chandler.

coyotes_geek
02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
My first thought was that his back injury from a few years ago.

Forgot about the back. You could be right.

Russ
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Buy low -- Chandler with an alleged injury could be a bargain for years.

timvp
damn. i had crossed NO off the contender list. They're a totally different team with Chandler.Exactly. Take Chandler off the Hornets and they aren't much of a contender.

holcs50
No no and no on the joe smith talks. U kidding you want another 33 year old who has not aged well at all. If anything Wilcox would be the way to go for sure! Young (25 i believe) and plays with a lot of energy. Wilcox anyday over j.smith. Joe smith would not make us any better.

coyotes_geek
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM

Would the Hornets really trade him to us though?

timvp
02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
No no and no on the joe smith talks. U kidding you want another 33 year old who has not aged well at all. If anything Wilcox would be the way to go for sure! Young (25 i believe) and plays with a lot of energy. Wilcox anyday over j.smith. Joe smith would not make us any better.The thing with Wilcox is that he blocks less shots than Oberto. The Spurs struggle enough protecting the rim without the human turnstile in the middle.

timvp
Buy low -- Chandler with an alleged injury could be a bargain for years.Not even Shinn is desperate enough to trade Chandler to the Spurs.

Russ
Would the Hornets really trade him to us though?

Looks like a money move. Money trumps passion (in a depression).

Flux451
02-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I like the idea of Joe Smith for Oberto and Udoka.

Spork KIller
02-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I like the idea of Joe Smith for Oberto and Udoka.

:lmao:nope

wisnub
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Lets trade scrubs with Chandler...can we?

Holt's Cat
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Unfortunate turn of events for the Spurs. Presti should send the #1 back just for that.

coyotes_geek
02-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Looks like a money move. Money trumps passion (in a depression).

Definitely a money move, but the Hornets should be able to find someone outside the division who can help them.

Spork KIller
02-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Unfortunate turn of events for the Spurs. Presti should send the #1 back just for that.

Pathetic fuck!

MarHill
02-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Bowen and a pick for Joe Smith wouldn't hurt the bigman depth. Better yet, maybe Oberto and Udoka for Joe Smith.

I'm okay with the 2nd part of this proposed trade!

BWS-1994
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Less than 48 hours to go before the trade deadline if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if the Hornets could immediately find any takers for Chandler?

carlos c
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Maybe this is the Spurs chance to get something good. How bout a SA/OKC/NJ trade? Both OKC and NJ want to shed salary. OKC has $22.4 mil in expiring contracts.

SA: Carter and Earl Watson
NJ: OKC's expiring contracts, Wilcox, and filler
OKC: Hill, Spurs players, picks, and filler

This might be the Spurs chance to get Carter without giving up both Hill and Mason. Spurs get Watson's contract (2 yrs. left- this year and next) off OKC's books and they get picks (Splitter?).

Or maybe use OKC for another player (RJ or Camby).

Spursfan092120
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Pathetic fuck!
Seriously..what would it take to get this guy banned?

timvp
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Less than 16 hours to go before the trade deadline.Fixed.

SenorSpur
02-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Wish there was a way for the Spurs to get Chandler.

coyotes_geek
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Maybe this is the Spurs chance to get something good. How bout a SA/OKC/NJ trade? Both OKC and NJ want to shed salary. OKC has $22.4 mil in expiring contracts.

SA: Carter and Earl Watson
NJ: OKC's expiring contracts, Wilcox, and filler
OKC: Hill, Spurs players, picks, and filler

This might be the Spurs chance to get Carter without giving up both Hill and Mason. Spurs get Watson's contract (2 yrs. left- this year and next) off OKC's books and they get picks (Splitter?).

Or maybe use OKC for another player (RJ or Camby).

If the Spurs want to get Watson and Carter they need to trade away almost $17 mil worth of player salary. Hill makes $1 mil. So the generic "Spurs players" and "filler" is going to have to consist of about 5 guys, or Manu + 2 guys.

BWS-1994
02-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Fixed.

Thanks.

If the Hornets are desperate, who knows who they're willing to get in return of Chandler.

coyotes_geek
02-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Wish there was a way for the Spurs to get Chandler.

Me too, but the team that just picked him up in a "something for nothing" deal just sent him back. That's got to make you a little nervous.

Old School 44
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM

My thought exactly! They make the alleyoop look easy.

When I first saw this trade, I thought, this is almost as good as Kidd for Harris.

PuttPutt
02-18-2009, 11:49 PM
All because Chandler failed his physical. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA PATHETIC!!!

crc21209
02-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Well maybe he wont even be a factor for the Hornets this yr seeing as how he's hurt....Now the Spurs may be able to jump in on Wilcox or Smith, or even a 3 team trade where they could get VC or somethin without giving up Hill or Mase.

SenorSpur
02-18-2009, 11:53 PM
I like Wilcox too. But I'd take either one.

Wilcox and Ely were almost reunited again. I still believe they are the same guy.

meestahmeestah
02-18-2009, 11:56 PM

how about Udoka and Horry sign-and-trade for 3.7M? :toast

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Keep in mind the Thunder were trading Wilcox and Smith, both expiring contracts, for a guy who would have been their starting center for the forseeable future. They're not going to simply trade their expiring contracts for some collection of Spur expiring contracts. If the Spurs want one of those guys they're going to have to throw in something that will hold value for them beyond April of this year. A pick, Hill, Mason, Splitter. And since they've already got our 2009 1st round pick, they'd have to wait until 2011 before we could give them another one.

crc21209
02-19-2009, 12:05 AM
You also gotta keep in mind this is Sam Presti though, he may be willing to cut the Spurs a deal.

mudyez
02-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Me too, but the team that just picked him up in a "something for nothing" deal just sent him back. That's got to make you a little nervous.

there is a difference of taking that risk for a young team and....well...us

it was too good to be true...would have loved chandler with the thunder and off one of the contenders....but I'm pretty sure, we will beat them anyway...

...take a second and imagine chandlers feeling refilling his locker after beeing sent away for nothing!

mudyez
02-19-2009, 12:07 AM
btw.: a lot of sources where confused about this trade going down so early...my bet is, that NO knew there was a big risk (of falling through) and they wanted to have time to do something else!

dbestpro
02-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Chandler trade rescinded. Chandler, Wilcox and Smith still available.

Dex
02-19-2009, 12:28 AM

:smchode:

NRHector
02-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Seriously..what would it take to get this guy banned?ban who?

pad300
02-19-2009, 12:49 AM
How about some trash for Chandler? We've already got one guy with an ankle problem. Might as well get him a buddy.

Indeed, if we are confident that Gino is out for the year, getting Chandler cheap while he is injured would be a real deal. If Gino is out for the year and not replaced, we're not winning a ring. Securing a starting level C, even if he's only going to be useful next season (after healing up), would be a real coup.

Not even Shinn is desperate enough to trade Chandler to the Spurs.

Shinn will do just about anything for money... and I don't see a lot of other teams willing to send expirings back in this economy, particularly for an injured player. Money make the NBA world go around, and sometimes people get desperate. It's certainly worth investigating...

Spursfan092120
02-19-2009, 12:51 AM
ban who?
Spork KIller..dude's a d-bag

El Jefe
02-19-2009, 03:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3917505

After examining Chandler's left big toe, Dr. Carlan Yates, Oklahoma City's team physician, determined that the risk of re-injury was too great to give Chandler a clean bill of health. He therefore advised the Thunder to rescind Tuesday's trade that landed them Chandler for Joe Smith, Chris Wilcox and the rights to Devon Hardin.

In case anyone was curious as to the reason

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2009, 04:01 AM
I would be surprised if New Orleans doesn't pull a trade though, considering they need the financial relief for next year..they'll be losing something..obviously the loss of Chandler would be ideal for us though..

Chris Wilcox is overrated..I'll take Joe Smith though..

Buddy Holly
02-19-2009, 04:07 AM
Maybe Horry can come into play here. He could play for New Orleans legitimately (close to Houston, kind of a contender) so signing him to a large one year deal plus pairing him with a Bowen (who would be waived) is hypothetical.

stéphane
02-19-2009, 05:19 AM

If it's as alive as Chandler knee's health we should be fine.

objective
02-19-2009, 05:20 AM
just say no to Joe Smith.

He's just another washed up stiff.

And that pains me to say, Joe Smith is one of my all time favorite college players. I went to watch Maryland play Temple at the Alamodome just to watch Joe Smith (and he was awesome that game, I think he had something like 32, 15 and 6 or 7 blocks).

He's not even as good as KT was last year. KT last season with seattle had better numbers per 40, and had proven toughness. Smith doesn't even have that.

mudyez
02-19-2009, 05:37 AM
Finally, this question, after the Tyson Chandler trade was rescinded: Is there any chance that Chandler could be traded again by Thursday?

One GM, speaking on condition of anonymity, told me he spoke with the Thunder and thought they were extremely conservative in their diagnosis of Chandler. Although he hadn't seen the medical evidence, he felt, based on his conversations with the Thunder, that the team might have overreacted to the center's turf toe issue.

I don't see it happening, but as I said: the thunder have to be more concerned about his health, than we have too (he wouldn't have to be our future).

source:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

WalterBenitez
02-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Wasn't Chandler that ex Bulls that had a heart condition that came up when they were discusing a contract extension??

mudyez
02-19-2009, 06:51 AM
no, that was curry

spurspokesman
02-19-2009, 07:04 AM
No no and no on the joe smith talks. U kidding you want another 33 year old who has not aged well at all. If anything Wilcox would be the way to go for sure! Young (25 i believe) and plays with a lot of energy. Wilcox anyday over j.smith. Joe smith would not make us any better.
Thank you. Been saying it for months. No guards or swingman. Just an active big to breath life in the frontcourt and open up our shooters

DBMethos
02-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Boooo!

CP3AllDay
02-19-2009, 06:20 PM
All because Chandler failed his physical. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA PATHETIC!!!

It'll be pathetic when y'all get obliterated when the Crescent City Connection returns to San Antonio.

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
It'll be pathetic when y'all get obliterated when the Crescent City Connection returns to San Antonio.

Make sure you enjoy it this year because your owner is going to try to sell Chandler off again once the offseason comes.

Dunc n Dave
02-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Didn't something similar happen with Sean and another team when we traded him?

Anyhow, I am betting we are looking at Wilcox.

Yes, it did happen to Elliott, but No, the Spurs were NOT involved.

It was when Detroit tried to trade Sean to Houston for Robert Horry, but the Rockets rescinded the trade after they found out about Sean's kidney problem. After that, no GM in the league would touch Sean, except the Spurs GM...

That's why the Pistons gave him back to us for nothing (Bill Curley and a pick) the following off season.