02-18-2009, 11:57 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_raja_bell.jpg

Raja Bell | G
Born: Sep 19, 1976
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 215 lbs. / 97,5 kg.
College: Florida International
Years Pro: 8

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/raja_bell/)

A real pain in the ass. Contract is up in 2010. Not a huge upgrade, but if the Spurs make a minor deal I'd like to see them pick him up.

Spursfan092120
02-18-2009, 11:58 PM

Raja Bell | G

A real pain in the ass. Contract is up in 2010. Not a huge upgrade, but if the Spurs make a minor deal I'd like to see them pick him up.

Wow..that would be like signing Satan to a contract...

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 12:03 AM

Raja Bell | G

If Fab+Ime gets that deal done, I'd do it. Possibly even toss in Golden State's 2nd rounder that we have. Not sure that's enough for them though.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 12:04 AM
If Fab+Ime gets that deal done, I'd do it. Possibly even toss in Golden State's 2nd rounder that we have. Not sure that's enough for them though.

Just remember...he was MJ on the court but is Pete Myers off it.

Spur-Addict
02-19-2009, 12:04 AM
That's no good for my fantasy team. He wouldn't sustain production. Right now he's starting and that probably, or maybe might not last if this unlikely scenario were to occur.

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Just remember...he was MJ on the court but is Pete Myers off it.

MJ calling the shots definitely works in our favor.

coachmac87
02-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Raja Bell and signing of Pops sounds good to me.....I can live with that and our perimeter gets better right away...

If Manu is out you start Bell and Bowen bring Mason off the bench for some spark. Finley and Oberto would be ideal for me.

If Manu can some how get healthy we can become very deep with Mason,Manu,HIll,Bonner,Pop

I like the deal..

Bartleby
02-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Got to have another player from the Virgin Islands!

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Id take him in a heartbeat over Finley and Udoka.

Hed be a perfect compliment for this team. But in no way should he be our MAJOR signing tommorow. haha

Bartleby
02-19-2009, 12:20 AM
And he likes guarding Kobe.

lrrr
02-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Can he hit his threes? Check
Defend? Check
Clothesline Kobe? Check

SouthTexasRancher
02-19-2009, 12:49 AM

Raja Bell | G

Well he'd do as a way to get rid of Ime Udoka the Zombie. The trade works by throwing Fab in on the deal. At this point if nothing else is in the works then go for it. If Manu is that seriously injured we have to do something if we want to have even a slight chance in the playoffs.

SouthTexasRancher
02-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Can he hit his threes? Check
Defend? Check
Clothesline Kobe? Check

Clothesline Kobe? Check

Hell yes! Do the deal for that reason alone!!!

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Can he play SF, cuz I want him to start over Fin.

Spurtacus
02-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Bowen and Bell together. That's funny.

Xylus
02-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Dear God, first you take Kurt Thomas and now you want Raja Bell??

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-19-2009, 01:43 AM
back away Spurs :smokin I want the Nuggets to get him. I am pretty sure the Bobcats wont move him though, unless the offer is really good

Kleiza/Hunter/Bobcats 1st rd pick :smokin

Allanon
02-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Spurs have no need for another defensive oriented guard that shoots 3's. Spurs already have WAY too many guards and WAY too many guys shooting jumpshots.

And if you insist on getting a guard to replace Manu, get a slasher type, not another 3 point shooter.

Spurs need

1) Big man
2) Small Forward

EricB
02-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Spurs have no need for another defensive oriented guard that shoots 3's. Spurs already have WAY too many guards and WAY too many guys shooting jumpshots.

And if you insist on getting a guard to replace Manu, get a slasher type, not another 3 point shooter.

Spurs need

1) Big man
2) Small Forward

Ginobili is not getting replaced, and if theres no Carter or Jefferson, this is probobly the best they can do.

I'm for it

EricB

Spurs need

1) Big man
2) Small Forward

Ginobili is not getting replaced, and if theres no Carter or Jefferson, this is probobly the best they can do.

I'm for it :tu

EricB

Spurs need

1) Big man
2) Small Forward

I'm

Allanon
02-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Ginobili is not getting replaced

I'm referring to the rumor that Manu's done for the season, if so, the Spurs probably go with Mason for longer minutes. But push comes to shove, if they really wanted another shooting guard, I think they should get a slasher, not a spot-up shooter liker Bell.

Raja's D on Kobe has slipped in the last year (he's been pretty average and a liability on Offense) so I don't think he's that valuable as a Kobe stopper.

TheDarkSide.
02-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Raja Bell is a fucknig hoss i love watching the defensive minded bobcats. I would be SOOO down with Raja Bell. DO IT

Xylus
02-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Bell would be a perfect addition to Pop's roster.

Mugen
02-19-2009, 02:52 AM
he clotheslined kobe.

my type of guy.

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 02:53 AM
Xylus, is he any good at all at slashing?

Mugen
02-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Xylus, is he any good at all at slashing?

about as good as bruce.

Holt's Cat
07-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Purrrrrrr.

Holt's Cat
07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Spurs need

1) Big man
2) Small Forward

That's done, Puddin.

Doctor J
07-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm referring to the rumor that Manu's done for the season, if so, the Spurs probably go with Mason for longer minutes. But push comes to shove, if they really wanted another shooting guard, I think they should get a slasher, not a spot-up shooter liker Bell.

Where did you hear the rumor that Manu's done for the season from? :wakeup

adrienne
07-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I've missed Raja since he left Dallas. His game and his beautiful face. ;)

raspsa
07-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I've read that Bell isn't quite the same player defensively from a couple of years back.. offensively, he isn't exceptional. I'd prefer someone younger, bigger, longer even if not as experienced as long as he has a defensive mindset. I think Hairston has more upside than Bell.

Buddy Holly
07-11-2009, 09:14 PM

Probably when he was when that player posted that several months ago. :bang

Allanon
07-11-2009, 09:14 PM

Holt's Cat resurrected a thread from February to inform me the Spurs "Finally" got a Big Man and Small Forward :lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-11-2009, 11:46 PM
boris diaw
raja bell

thats who we should look at, why go for the small fish, when you can have the big fish

Buddy Holly
07-11-2009, 11:57 PM
What about this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=km4je2

Demo Dick Marcinko
07-12-2009, 12:29 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

I'd really like this trade. And it would work. Salmons gets 5.1 mill this year, 5.4 next year and 5.8 in 2011. That's a great bargain for a player of his caliber. The only thing is that he has a kicker in contract that if traded the acquiring team has to pay 15% of his salary or roughly 2 mill as a bonus to Salmons. I'm not sure if bonus' count against the cap but Salmons would be nice coming off the best. And remember guys this guy can score. He averaged 18.3 ppg last year. Best of all Chicago is getting 3 expiring contracts. Between Brad Miller and Hughes the bulls have about 24 mill tied up in 2010 and the Bulls fully intend on being a player in the 2010 FA sweepstakes.

"John Salmons has solid ability to score; will look to score; Not looking to attempt threes; Just an average three point gunner; Able to get to the free throw line; Very good free throw shooter; Average shooter; Mediocre off the dribble; Adequate inside; Average running the break; John Salmons is adequate on the offensive glass; Average defensive rebounder; John Salmons is a good passer; Weak handling the ball; John Salmons is very good at picking up steals; Gets an average amount of blocks; Solid defender of outside shots; Very good perimeter defender; Post defense is adequate; Very good transition defender; John Salmons is not overly strong; Has some quickness; John Salmons is a basketball player with some ability and can provide strong minutes off the bench."

ESPN’s scouting report summarizes his abilitie as well:

" In addition to his slashing ability, Salmons is a very good defender who can guard three positions. He’s quick and has good size at 6-7, and ranked in the top third of shooting guards in both blocks and steals per minute. The Kings often used him as the primary stopper against elite scorers, even when Ron Artest was on the court with him, and he held his own in those matchups."

"Offensively, he likes to attack off the dribble for layups or short-range jumpers. He’s a mediocre spot-up shooter and isn’t a good shooter off the dribble, plus he tends to have high turnover rates because he’s driving into traffic so much. However, he’s a good enough dribbler to play point guard in a pinch."

Ok that's my pitch on a player I really like for the Spurs, but I'm gonna quit before some of you accuse me of slobbing on Salmon's nob.:toast:toast

Edit: Sorry I couldn't get the link on ESPN's Trade Machine to go back the page reflecting that a trade of Bonner, Fin and Williams for Salmons would be successful.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2009, 12:33 AM
What about this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=km4je2

Take out Mason and Diop and I'm all for it.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Edit: Sorry I couldn't get the link on ESPN's Trade Machine to go back the page reflecting that a trade of Bonner, Fin and Williams for Salmons would be successful.

The Bulls aren't going to give away Salmons after they just lost Ben Gordon.

Demo Dick Marcinko
07-12-2009, 12:47 AM
The Bulls aren't going to give away Salmons after they just lost Ben Gordon.

I realize you are absolutely spot on. Maybe not now, but right before the trading dead line in Feb when Da Bulls realize at that point they are just pretenders rather then contenders, there's a sliver of a chance that they may consider moving Salmons. If they're serious about being major players in 2010 FA sweepstakes, 3 expiring contracts would sure help their cause. Actually make that 4 expiring contracts. Millers 11.5 mill come off the books in the summer of 2010.

To have a shot at LeBron/Wade/Anthony/Bosh/Stoudemire you gotta think outside the box. Hey stranger things have happened. Who ever thought the Lakers were going to get Gasol gift wrapped for a bag of chips and a diet coke.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Even if it came to that the Bulls can still find a better deal elsewhere. It's not like Finley and Bonner are the only two expiring contracts in the league.

Silvblack21
07-12-2009, 01:38 PM
This guy is golden at covering Kobe. One of, if not the best at doing it in the NBA. Sign him.

Avitus1
07-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Trade Bonner and Fin...

dochay
07-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Raja would be a good fit, especially for Bonner and Finley, almost like getting him for nothing. Would like to get younger though and one more big would be great.

Here's a trade, http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mpg3fx throw in some draft picks to sweeten the SA side and it might be possible. Gets Detroit out of a contract and saves them money, gives Portland a premier SF and a backup SG/PG and also they lose Przybilla's contract.
Would be great to get another true center who rebounds and some young studs at SG and SF.
Not that it would happen but it's fun to imagine. :)

trajik dark
09-26-2009, 01:06 PM
bobcats got raja bell on the trading block, lets ship finley and bonner out and land him

DPG21920
09-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I honestly can say I would not want to trade Finley and Bonner for him. The only reason I might consider it is because it would open up a roster spot on the Spurs. From a talent standpoint, I would rather have Bonner+Finley.

trajik dark
09-26-2009, 01:19 PM
sg- mason,bell,and manu sf-bogans,jefferson,hailslap pf-dyess,ian,blair, c-duncan,theo pg-parker,hill,and williams inactive hairston still leaves room for one signing

loveforthegame
09-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Why would they sign Bogans if they could have gotten Bell instead?

EricB
09-26-2009, 01:24 PM
bobcats got raja bell on the trading block, lets ship finley and bonner out and land him

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

trajik dark
09-26-2009, 01:25 PM
dont know but two good defenders too threw at kobe is a plus

exstatic
09-26-2009, 01:33 PM

That. Wouldn't SA be trying to offload contracts to keep some youngsters this year, if they could?

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I'd rather package Mason/ Finley/ Mahimni for a solid defender like Bell, but a better all around offensive player like Sjax or Nocioni. Bogans game is just like Bell's except Bell's game is a notch above Bogans if that makes any sense. They both do the same things well except Bell has a better shot selection and knows the parameters of his offensive game ( what he can and can't do).

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Raja could fit in this scenario but I don't think its that much of an upgrade now that we got Bogans. (Since both are known for their tough defense and hit the spot up 3.)

I'm willing to bet especially with the signing of Bogans that the Spurs will go into Training camp with 2 things on their mind.

1) Is Mahimni showing progress and ready to produce? Or does Dwayne Jones make him irrelevant? They need to know by October 31st whether or not to pick up Mahimni's option of 1.78 million for the 2010/ 2011 season .

2) With the signing of Bogans I'm sure himself and Mason will have their battles during training camp. Due to the stacked SG/ SF position Spurs FO will find out if Bogans makes Mason really expendable. Given that Mason is do for less minutes and less shots because of the arrival of RJ and a healthy Manu, Spurs best bet to get great value back for Mason could be before the season starts. ( Just a thought)

If Spurs find out that they don't think Mahimni is worth the 1.78 million option and if they feel Bogans makes Mason expendable, then look for the Spurs to package Mason/Finley/ Mahimni type deal for an upgrade in our 3rd SG/SF spot ( Behind Manu and RJ) with someone very versatile on both ends of the floor that can easily play at least 25 MPG. This would make Keith Bogans our 4th wing and Malik Hairston/ George Hill/ Marcus Williams our 5th-7th wing options respectively.

If that happens Spurs could go with something like this going into the season:

Starters

PG- Tony Parker 34 MPG
SG- Manu Ginobili 28 MPG
SF- Richard Jefferson 33 MPG
PF- Antonio McDyess 26 MPG
C- Tim Duncan 32 MPG

Bench
SF/PF- Andres Nocioni 25 MPG * For example*
PF- DeJuan Blair 18 MPG
PG- George Hill 16 MPG
PF/ C- Matt Bonner 12 MPG
SG/SF- Keith Bogans 10 MPG
C- Theo Ratliff 8 MPG

Total 240 MPG (48 MPG at the PG position, 96 on the wings, 96 for the 4/5)

Total Minutes Allocated during the course of a game at all positions is 240 minutes.

12th man- 15th man( 13-14 spots inactive list)- SG/ SF-Malik Hairston SG/SF/PG-Marcus Williams PF-SF Marcus Haislip.

Then leave the 15th spot open.

EricB
09-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Bell's game dropped BADLY last year. Father time caught up and he's showing. Not the defender he once was nor shooter.

CubanSucks
09-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't want him even if we got him for free. I fucking hate that piece of shit

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Bell's game dropped BADLY last year. Father time caught up and he's showing. Not the defender he once was nor shooter.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/raja_bell/career_stats.html

In what department exactly did his game drop BADLY?

From his 2005-2007 stint with the Suns, all their players numbers were at an all time high ( PPG wise) because of the offense being created by the MVP at the time.

His efficiency has been the same ( percentages). I haven't noticed a drop in his game.

Summers
09-26-2009, 02:09 PM
I like him. Plus then we'd have two Crucians on our team and that would be badass.

exstatic
09-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Both his FG% and his 3G% were above career avgs last year. His PHO numbers were incredible (.421/.468) and his CHA numbers weren't too shabby (.440/.395).

I'm not a Bell advocate, but it might actually help you to argue against him if you had a valid point.

HarlemHeat37
09-26-2009, 02:17 PM
His defense has gotten worse, which is expected with age, but his offense was as good as ever last year IMO..

I would take him depending on the deal, and depending on what other players could be had instead of him..we would definitely have to give up some future picks or somebody like Ian for him, otherwise it won't work..I wouldn't give up on Ian just for a shot at Bell though..

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2009, 02:21 PM
His defense has gotten worse, which is expected with age, but his offense was better than ever last year IMO..

That is your opinion. Fact is there is nothing out there to prove his defense has decline significantly like you suggests.

I've watched him play with the Bobcats and I didn't notice that much of a significant difference. Therefore its all speculation and opinionated. So we can agree to disagree on that.

What is a fact is that he has a great team defense BBIQ like Bowen to help us on defense. ( Something we don't have outside of RJ and Manu).

* Bogans is the best outside of RJ and Manu defensively, but with Mason and Finley here he won't see the floor. Therefore he's irrelevant.

benefactor
09-26-2009, 02:52 PM
If we didn't sign Bogans I could see taking a look at him...but now it's probably pointless.

EricB
09-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Both his FG% and his 3G% were above career avgs last year. His PHO numbers were incredible (.421/.468) and his CHA numbers weren't too shabby (.440/.395).

I'm not a Bell advocate, but it might actually help you to argue against him if you had a valid point.

My arguments are valid.

pauls931
09-26-2009, 03:23 PM
about as good as bruce.

yup

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2009, 03:47 PM
My arguments are valid.

See post 63.

Danny.Zhu
09-26-2009, 09:35 PM
I guess if we can get Shane Battier this year then we don't need Raja.

exstatic
09-26-2009, 10:04 PM
My arguments are valid.

One out of two. His shooting is as good as it's ever been. Invalid argument.

anakha
09-26-2009, 10:23 PM
My arguments are valid.

Then back it up with evidence.

K-State Spur
09-27-2009, 12:50 AM

because at this stage in their careers, boggans is a better defender?

two years ago, you might have a point. but apparently nobody here has noticed that bell's defense dropped off more than bowen's did last year. the feet just aren't as quick as they used to be.

K-State Spur
09-27-2009, 12:52 AM
That is your opinion. Fact is there is nothing out there to prove his defense has decline significantly like you suggests.

I've watched him play with the Bobcats and I didn't notice that much of a significant difference. Therefore its all speculation and opinionated. So we can agree to disagree on that.

What is a fact is that he has a great team defense BBIQ like Bowen to help us on defense. ( Something we don't have outside of RJ and Manu).

* Bogans is the best outside of RJ and Manu defensively, but with Mason and Finley here he won't see the floor. Therefore he's irrelevant.

his defense in PHX last year had clearly fallen off. the bobcats actually play decent team defense which would help to hide his deficiencies.

he might still be a competent team defender, but if you're looking for him to go out and hassle the opponent's best wing for 20-30 minutes, those days are past.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2009, 06:15 AM

From 06 and 07 (his best years) what dropped off badly in 09?

Buddy Holly
09-27-2009, 06:16 AM
My arguments are valid.

They're not.

Spursfan092120
09-27-2009, 11:47 AM
reports are saying that bobcats are trying to trade raja bell. bonner, finley for him should work but larry brown could be interested in ian mihinmi. so the next idea would be ian mihinmi, finley & marcus williams; i don't like the second idea because ian mihinmi could be our best shot blocker and still has too much potential. Bonner, Finley & 2010 second round pick should get the deal done, the salaries match up and its good for both teams in terms of money and talent. if not stephen jackson, andres nocioni then why not raja bell.

lineup with raja bell

mcdyess
duncan
jefferson
r. bell
parker

hill
mason
ginobili
blair
mihinmi

haislip
bogans

inactive list

ratliff
hairston
williams

:lobt2:
I don't see Pop starting Bell over Mason.

exstatic
09-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Late to the party. Stand by for the merge....

portnoy1
09-27-2009, 06:29 PM
I would trade Bonner/Mason Jr./Finley to Bobcats for Bell/Diop. That way it clears up 2 things. You have your starting 2 Guard who can shoot/Defend and plays physical and smart ( stays within his abilities ). You have a 7 footer who can rebound and block shots at a decent rate off the bench for 15-20 minutes a game behind Duncan as a Center or With Duncan.

Sdayi135
09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
I would trade Bonner/Mason Jr./Finley to Bobcats for Bell/Diop. That way it clears up 2 things. You have your starting 2 Guard who can shoot/Defend and plays physical and smart ( stays within his abilities ). You have a 7 footer who can rebound and block shots at a decent rate off the bench for 15-20 minutes a game behind Duncan as a Center or With Duncan.

:wtf Diop? You okay, kid?

coyotes_geek
09-27-2009, 08:53 PM
No kidding. Diop is awful and his contract is worse. I'd rather have Fransisco Elson back.

NicolasBatum
03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Raja Bell is free...
too late
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports-headlines/ci_14720998

MaNu4Tres
03-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Raja Bell is free...
too late
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports-headlines/ci_14720998

If Splitter does come over for most of the MLE (Thats a big IF), then I'd consider bringing in Bell over Bogans or Mason for the vet minimum giving us...

Manu, Jefferson, Hairston, Bell, and our draft pick (if its a wing)...as our rotation.

8FOR!3
03-21-2010, 02:28 PM
^^How are we supposed to win a title without our centerpiece? asdf!!1

DPG21920
03-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I am not at all sold on bringing Bell in. I don't think he has much more than Bogan's left in him. If it is the vet min, sure, but even then I don't know what to expect and I would rather have Malik get the minutes.

MaNu4Tres
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM
I am not at all sold on bringing Bell in. I don't think he has much more than Bogan's left in him. If it is the vet min, sure, but even then I don't know what to expect and I would rather have Malik get the minutes.

Malik would still get plenty of minutes. Bell would be a no brainer for the vet minimum if he's healthy.

MmP
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't know his current game at this point of the season. But if he's nearly the guy that defended the Spurs in 07, we should look for him.

Big P
03-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Bell is done..we need younger better players next year.

exstatic
03-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Bell is done..we need younger better players next year.
Unfortunately, those two things are frequently at odds.

TD 21
03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
If Splitter does come over for most of the MLE (Thats a big IF), then I'd consider bringing in Bell over Bogans or Mason for the vet minimum giving us...

Manu, Jefferson, Hairston, Bell, and our draft pick (if its a wing)...as our rotation.

This has been my thinking for some time. I'm not in love with the idea of another 34 year old, un-athletic player joining this team, but I'm a realist and I know there's a good chance that Bell is the best the Spurs can do when it comes to at least temporarily filling the role of wing stopper. That being said, it'll probably take the bi-annual exception to sign him.

We know he'd fit in with the Spurs culture and even at his advanced age (though this is somewhat tough to tell considering he basically hasn't played this season) he should be able to offer better defense than Bogans and better 3-point shooting than Mason has provided this season. That's what the Spurs need, someone to combine defense + 3 point shooting on the wing, so that they can condense their rotation.

Supposedly the Spurs have been interested in Bell all season and if they're smart they should have called his agent today to express interest immediately. Be the first team to contact him, show him that they have serious interest, plant the seed and maybe they can secure his commitment early or at least early in free agency and have one area taken care of.

Big P
03-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Unfortunately, those two things are frequently at odds.

Not when we are talking about raja bell..there are plenty of younger & better players.

TD 21
03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Not when we are talking about raja bell..there are plenty of younger & better players.

There are, but name one that the Spurs could realistically attain, particularly if they sign Splitter with the majority of, if not all of, the mid-level exception first? Bell basically combines Bogans and Mason, only he's better than both at their supposed specialty.

jjktkk
03-22-2010, 01:41 AM
There are, but name one that the Spurs could realistically attain, particularly if they sign Splitter with the majority of, if not all of, the mid-level exception first? Bell basically combines Bogans and Mason, only he's better than both at their supposed specialty.

Matt Barnes? Good defender who is a good 3-point shooter and who can drive to the basket and score. Good size(6'7"). Will be a free agent this Summer.

TD 21
03-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Matt Barnes? Good defender who is a good 3-point shooter and who can drive to the basket and score. Good size(6'7"). Will be a free agent this Summer.

If the money is even close, it's probably unlikely he'd leave the Magic, who are one of the three best teams in the league. Also, he's shooting .318% from 3 this year and .329 from 3 in his career, so he's not a good 3 point shooter, in fact he's a sub par one and a significantly worse one than Bogans. Bell shot .444% from 3 this season (small sample size) and shoots .411% from 3 over his career. He's an excellent 3 point shooter and a more proven defender than Barnes.

jjktkk
03-22-2010, 02:08 AM
If the money is even close, it's probably unlikely he'd leave the Magic, who are one of the three best teams in the league. Also, he's shooting .318% from 3 this year and .329 from 3 in his career, so he's not a good 3 point shooter, in fact he's a sub par one and a significantly worse one than Bogans. Bell shot .444% from 3 this season (small sample size) and shoots .411% from 3 over his career. He's an excellent 3 point shooter and a more proven defender than Barnes.

But Bell will be 35 next year, while Barnes is 4 years younger and is 2 or 3 inches taller. I also worry about Bell's inactivity along with his age, but if the price is right, I'd take a flyer on Bell.

MaNu4Tres
03-22-2010, 02:32 AM
But Bell will be 35 next year, while Barnes is 4 years younger and is 2 or 3 inches taller. I also worry about Bell's inactivity along with his age, but if the price is right, I'd take a flyer on Bell.

Spurs have had multiple chances to sign Barnes and have passed for their reasons. You should exclude him from your notion.

jiggy_55
03-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Sure he's old, but I don't give a crap. This team IS getting younger, so getting a nice rotation player like Bell will be awesome. He could start or come off the bench. Even at his age, his defense should be just fine, while his 3pt shooting is simply awesome (41.1% for his career).
His defense can't be worse than Bogans on most nights, while his 3's are MUCH better. This could drop Bogans entirely from the lineup while we play him and more of Hairston, since Mason will be gone. Hill can get minutes at the 1 and 2, while manu will also alternate between the 2 and 3, hoping he is resigned for next season.

jiggy_55
03-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Sure he's old, but I don't give a crap. This team IS getting younger, so getting a nice rotation player like Bell will be awesome. He could start or come off the bench. Even at his age, his defense should be just fine, while his 3pt shooting is simply awesome (41.1% for his career).
His defense can't be worse than Bogans on most nights, while his 3's are MUCH better. This could drop Bogans entirely from the lineup while we play him and more of Hairston, since Mason will be gone. Hill can get minutes at the 1 and 2, while manu will also alternate between the 2 and 3, hoping he is resigned for next season.

FeZZy
03-22-2010, 06:24 AM
no.

TD 21
03-22-2010, 06:10 PM

That's nice, the reality is Bell is a better fit (and he'll be 34 this year/next season, not 35) and probably still a better player. In terms of a starter, the Spurs more pressing need is at SG than SF (Barnes is an SF and a small ball PF, but lacks the ball skills to play SG). Let's face it, Jefferson is more than likely going to be their starting SF next season (at least until the '11 trade deadline) and he is playing at a decent level fairly consistently now. SG is a different story. The Spurs clearly prefer Ginobili off the bench and Hill is too small to be a full-time starting SG. Bell may not be at his 01-07 defensive level anymore, but he's got to be still at least a notch or two above Bogans and he's a significantly better shooter.

I'm not worried about the inactivity because his wrist will be fine soon and he can play and get/stay in shape throughout the entire summer, this is not a Ginobili summer of '09 case.

TJastal
03-22-2010, 07:05 PM
I heard the spurs have this guy named Hairston who's been playing pretty good ball lately and is looking for more consistent minutes.

Oh, and he's young.. AND he's talented. :lol