PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Time To Experiment: Carmelo-ized Spurs

duncan228
02-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Time to experiment: Carmelo-ized Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Time_to_experiment_Carmelo-ized_Spurs.html)
Buck Harvey

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — If I'm Gregg Popovich, I'm tired of worrying about Vince Carter's arrival and Manu Ginobili's departure.

I'd want to relax and try something different.

Such as, oh, give a few minutes to Malik Hairston.

I'd want to see if D-League success translates, and if an emergency moment in Denver earlier in the month was real. In doing so, I'd also be making sure I don't already have an athletic wing on my roster.

And if I'm Popovich, I'd also like the setting tonight — as Hairston comes home to Detroit for the first time as a pro.

Hairston has played near his family once since leaving home for the University of Oregon. Last season, in his senior year, Hairston and the No. 23 ranked Ducks played at The Palace against a little-known Detroit-area school, Oakland University.

“You won't believe this,” Hairston said. “We lost.”

You won't believe this, but George Hill was standing next to Hairston. Hill heard the story and loved it.

“That means you would have lost to us, too,” Hill playfully told Hairston.

Hill's IUPUI plays in the Summit League, also the conference of the mighty Oakland Golden Grizzlies.

Hairston brushed off Hill. He repeated what he said last December, after the Oakland coach called the win the biggest for the school in a quarter of a century. Hairston said it was still a joy to play at home, on that stage, in front of family.

So Hairston would crave a crack at the Pistons, and he would probably like to show everyone he hasn't changed much. There was a time, after all, when it was assumed Hairston would be playing either for or against the Pistons.

He downplays that now. He says his expectations haven't changed, and that his 18-year-old mind wasn't expanding into fantasy then.

“I knew I wasn't ready for the NBA,” he said.

Still, dreaming then would be a natural reaction. He was the face of a high school powerhouse, Renaissance, and he was among the top recruits in the country in 2004.

Rivals.com listed him as the seventh best prospect overall. No. 1 was Dwight Howard, No. 4 was Al Jefferson and No. 5 was Rudy Gay.

The usual schools lined up for Hairston, and among the finalists were Kansas, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA and Oklahoma. But Hairston had a plan. He wanted to go to a program he could impact as a freshman, the way Carmelo Anthony had the year before with Syracuse.

He said, then, he wanted to “Carmelo-ize” the school he chose.

The line would be repeated over the years — after Oregon failed to go to a Final Four with Hairston.

Unlike Anthony, who was one-and-done, Hairston stayed all four years. Along the way he showed a balanced game of scoring and passing. He was an honorable mention all-Pac 10 as both a sophomore and senior, and he averaged just over 16 points as a senior.

He'd been solid, and sometimes spectacular. In his final game, in the NCAA first round last spring against Mississippi State, Hairston scored 22 points in the loss.

Still, the can't-miss label was gone. He was a second-round choice, another with the odds against him.

One scout says there are “a hundred thousand” of these 6-foot-5 prospects out there. They can be found in Europe and Israel and even the Philippines, all working for a chance.

So why do some, such as Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka, break through? They learn, they show resilience, and they take advantage of what is there.

Enter Hairston. He's on a team in need of some juice on the wing, and he's already shown some. He impressed everyone in the D-League, and the Spurs called him up partly for fear someone else would steal him.

Then, when Popovich rested his stars in Denver, Hairston got some minutes and produced 12 points and five rebounds. He showed a flash or two in New Jersey, too. At times he has the look of Mario Elie, with some muscle and toughness, and he has the McDonald's pedigree that a lot of these grinders often don't have.

So why not reward him, at his home, and take a look at the same time?

I would, if I were Popovich.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Too short.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 01:23 AM
We're screwed.

Dex
02-19-2009, 01:28 AM
We're screwed.

:lol

Duncan2177
02-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Yea lets hope and pray a scrub will have a break out game in detroit. You gotta be fucken kidding me dude. Whatever

Kori Ellis
02-19-2009, 01:33 AM
If I'm Gregg Popovich, I'm tired of worrying about Vince Carter's arrival and Manu Ginobili's departure.

Shouldn't that say "injury" not "departure"? :stirpot:

EricB
02-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Why the hell not?

Whats it hurt?

SenorSpur
Time to see what he's got.

completely deck
Anyone else fall for the trap of thinking Buck was going to have this left field Carmelo trade?

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Shouldn't that say "injury" not "departure"? :stirpot:

I was thinking the same thing.....hmmmmm.....

idk i give up....see you tomorrow Spurstalk.

Yorae
02-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Philippines?

EricB
02-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Buck Harvey has as many sources as Don Harris I think.

BWS-1994
02-19-2009, 01:36 AM
The new savior?

BWS-1994
02-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Philippines?

Most likely some Filipino-American players.

Though yes, a few Filipinos could be considered as "prospects". Not sure if they can translate it to NBA level.

jcrod
02-19-2009, 01:39 AM
We're screwed.

:lol

Yorae
02-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Yeah yeah, I know a lot of fil-ams, I'm just a bit surprise they are, well, prospects....uhm kelly williams, danny seigel???

tmtcsc
02-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Buck Harvey has as many sources as Don Harris I think.

They both rely on Alvin Gentry ? God, is that tired. Enough already. Yes, Don we all know your sister is married to Alvin Gentry, and we all know you sniff his ass for inside info. <Insert losing sound from the Price is Right>

tmtcsc
02-19-2009, 01:43 AM

Though yes, a few Filipinos could be considered as "prospects". Not sure if they can translate it to NBA level.

Manny Paquiao in da house. Mannneee !!!

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2009, 01:43 AM
I've been saying to play Hairston forever now..it's an obvious move..it's like Pop has a fetish for watching old men like Finley do nothing..

ss1986v2
02-19-2009, 01:45 AM
They both rely on Alvin Gentry ? God, is that tired. Enough already. Yes, Don we all know your sister is married to Alvin Gentry, and we all know you sniff his ass for inside info. <Insert losing sound from the Price is Right>

1ytCEuuW2_A

Spur|n|Austin
02-19-2009, 02:00 AM
We'll Buck, glad your not Pop..

Behrooz24
02-19-2009, 02:02 AM
I've been saying to play Hairston forever now..it's an obvious move..it's like Pop has a fetish for watching old men like Finley do nothing..

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/steve_aschburner/12/04/statistics/p1.popovich.jpg
"Hey Fin, How ya doin?!"

BWS-1994
02-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Manny Paquiao in da house. Mannneee !!!

http://http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4314:liga-pilipinas-unwraps-jan-14-and-eyes-are-on-manny-pacquiao&catid=31:sports&Itemid=65

ezau
02-19-2009, 02:26 AM
Philippines?

At best, the Philippines has a few NBA prospects,but still not good enough to play in the NBA.

johngateswhiteley
02-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Too short.

i would totally play Hairston. why the hell not? i like what i've seen from him.

02-19-2009, 02:36 AM
when scanned the threads and saw this, i thought the spurs traded for carmelo.

i forgot hairston was one of the top prospects of his class. his stock plummeted though through his four years at college and often regarded as an underachiever. this means the talent was present so hopefully he becomes motivated enough to develop his game.

Manufan909
02-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Anyone else fall for the trap of thinking Buck was going to have this left field Carmelo trade?

Yes. I was like "no, no, no, wha?". Fucker is crafty, I'll give him that.:lol

The Truth #6
02-19-2009, 03:04 AM
Fin will probably play 48 minutes now.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2009, 03:35 AM
Philippines?

Yeah yeah, I know a lot of fil-ams, I'm just a bit surprise they are, well, prospects....uhm kelly williams, danny seigel???

At best, the Philippines has a few NBA prospects,but still not good enough to play in the NBA.I'm pretty sure he's talking about former American college players in the Philippine Basketball Association.

L.I.T
02-19-2009, 03:58 AM

Probably referring to some of the "import" players from the US that are brought in to play in the Philippine Basketball Association.

As far as I know, there have not been any Filipino players seriously scouted yet.

Edit: What Chumpdumper said.

mudyez
02-19-2009, 04:14 AM
still waiting to hear when carmelo is comming :(

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-19-2009, 04:39 AM

Yup, we're talking about Minutes for Finley or Hairston - I say give them to the future. Finley has been terrible for at least 10 games now - wake up Pop, time for a change.

Oh, and it's nice to read an actual writer like Buck, who has a narrative to his stories (whether you agre with the content or not), as opposed to that hack McDonald.

m33p0
02-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Probably referring to some of the "import" players from the US that are brought in to play in the Philippine Basketball Association.

As far as I know, there have not been any Filipino players seriously scouted yet.

Edit: What Chumpdumper said.
johnny abarrientos. rumor has it he turned down the offer to go state-side to join a training camp coz he knew he'd only be a bench player at best. it was with the jazz i think.

as for imports... the best story is kevin gamble, once a starter for the boston celtics.

benefactor
02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Fin will probably play 48 minutes now.

Mr. Body
02-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Ha Ha Ha. The middle of intense fan speculation about Vince Carter and big time players, Harvey launches some article about Milk Hairston. HAAAAHHAAAA!!!

BWS-1994
02-19-2009, 08:32 AM
johnny abarrientos. rumor has it he turned down the offer to go state-side to join a training camp coz he knew he'd only be a bench player at best. it was with the jazz i think.

as for imports... the best story is kevin gamble, once a starter for the boston celtics.

Kerby Raymundo's name was listed before in a site by NBA scouts. He was considered a prospect in 2001.

Speaking of past imports, Henry James also had a memorable stint for the Atlanta Hawks.