PDA

View Full Version : What do these words mean?

Rapper
02-19-2009, 03:33 AM
what is the meaning of these words and would you mind to explain it to me?

But I'm not sure whether i spell correct or wrong

1 adrenocorticotropic

2 anthropomorphosis

3 floccinaucinihilipilification

4 Antidisestablishmentarianism

And I want to ask you american people a question,'cause all of your native language is english,

My question is that do you guys know all word in english?

I mean when you are looking up your dictionaries, how many words do you understnad? 70% 90% or 100%? because it's so hard for me to understand all english words, plus,it's impossible for me to memorize all words in english so that i'm curious about that actually how many words do you guys understand in your native language?

SAtown
02-19-2009, 03:35 AM
How many words do you know in your native language?

Rapper
02-19-2009, 03:37 AM
How many words do you know in your native language?

good point

I would say ˙70 %

It 's because in our daily life, so many words that we don't need to use so that with the time goes by, most of us don't know what is the meaning of those words especially those ancient chinese words

deadratsam
02-19-2009, 04:37 AM
How do you even know those words?
adrenocorticotropic is some sort of hormone
anthropomorphosis is something like human characteristics, features blah blah blah
floccinaucinihilipilification ... pfft. who cares.
Antidisestablishmentarianism is some stupid politcal or social view or something like that

PuttPutt
02-19-2009, 04:56 AM
anthropomorphosis is something like human characteristics, features blah blah blah
Antidisestablishmentarianism is some stupid politcal or social view or something like that

THat's all you pretty much need to know. perfect explination

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-19-2009, 05:04 AM
Americans don't speak English, they speak American English. You'll find that there are many different dialects of English, although most of the major words are common to every dialect - colloquialisms (everyday phrasing) can differ greatly in meaning depending on the country the English speaker is from.

As for your words, the only one in even semi-common useage would be anthropomorph-ic/-osis, but you'd only hear it rarely. People very occasionally talk about the word "Antidisestablishmentarianism" because it is one of the longer words in the dictionary, but few people know what it means. It refers to "people opposed to proposals to remove the Church of England's status as the state church of England [in the 1800s]". Google is your friend.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-19-2009, 05:05 AM
THat's all you pretty much need to know. perfect explination

Don't listen to the guy who can't spell "explanation". :lol

baseline bum
02-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Americans don't speak English, they speak American English. You'll find that there are many different dialects of English, although most of the major words are common to every dialect - colloquialisms (everyday phrasing) can differ greatly in meaning depending on the country the English speaker is from.

Technically, I wouldn't call American English vs Australian English dialects, because someone who speaks one would almost universally understand the other. Same with Spain Spanish vs Mexican Spanish. Maybe vulgar latin vs the latin of nobilities a few hundred years ago would qualify as dialects, but then again, maybe you'd just call them separate languages too. I don't think there's much difference between the notion of dialect and a separate language.

Rapper
02-19-2009, 07:00 AM

Oh,,thanks

I will write it down on my notebook

Rapper
02-19-2009, 07:02 AM

As for your words, the only one in even semi-common useage would be anthropomorph-ic/-osis, but you'd only hear it rarely. People very occasionally talk about the word "Antidisestablishmentarianism" because it is one of the longer words in the dictionary, but few people know what it means. It refers to "people opposed to proposals to remove the Church of England's status as the state church of England [in the 1800s]". Google is your friend.

Thanks for you detailed explanation about my question

And yes I know there are many different dialects of English But I think that the major difference among those dialects is "accent"

And as for one of your oponions that American english is different from British english, As i mentioned, this is all about "accent" maybe some words are different meaning as well, but most of the words between American english and British english is actually same

Anyway, thanks:toast:toast

Rogue
02-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for you detailed explanation about my question

And yes I know there are many different dialects of English But I think that the major difference among those dialects is "accent"

And as for one of your oponions that American english is different from British english, As i mentioned, this is all about "accent" maybe some words are different meaning as well, but most of the words between American english and British english is actually same

Anyway, thanks:toast:toast
you're welcome. sincerely I don't know where you stole those words from, and I bet you can't and won't ever pronounce them during the rest of your life, though your life is likely to be even longer than turtles.

the difference between american and british english is ignorable, we speak it in different ways though. but none of us use those words in our usual lives, and we never use them in our articles unless we work on relating areas, and none of us has the addiction to post weird words on any kind of forum except those insane guys who have problems with their heads.

Keep it up, friend, I would feel extremely frustrated if you stop embarrassing yourself.

Summers
02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I bet you can't and won't ever pronounce them during the rest of your life

Even though Rogue is very rude, he's right about this point. These are not words that are going to come up in every day conversation. Your English is pretty good Rapper. Just keep practicing.

Rapper
02-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Even though Rogue is very rude, he's right about this point. These are not words that are going to come up in every day conversation. Your English is pretty good Rapper. Just keep practicing.

Hi my best friend on spurstalk:toast

Where have you been these days and how is it going?

Yes I know these words are not going to come up in every day conversation and the reason why I ask you guys this question is just because of my homework, my professor offers these 4 words for me and requests me that I need to find out what do these words mean, so i posted a thread here

Anyway, so good to see you:toast

RandomGuy
02-19-2009, 11:55 AM

1 adrenocorticotropic

2 anthropomorphosis

And I want to ask you american people a question,'cause all of your native language is english,

I mean when you are looking up your dictionaries, how many words do you understnad? 70% 90% or 100%? because it's so hard for me to understand all english words, plus,it's impossible for me to memorize all words in english so that i'm curious about that actually how many words do you guys understand in your native language?

Figuring out what the long words mean is easier if you have a grasp of the parts.

English words, especially scientific ones, tend to use greek roots.

Without looking them up

1 adrenocorticotropic

adreno- having to do with the adrenaline/glandular system
cort- having to do with the immune system
cotropic- area?? (as in Tropic of Cancer) border??

My best guess is that this is an adjective meaning:
"something that is part of the human immune system's glands"

2 anthropomorphosis

Anthro-- human
morphic-- to change
osis-- process of (this is a way of denoting/indicating a gerund, i.e word that isn't a noun into a noun, in this case making an adjective into a noun.

This is the noun form that means:
Process of making or imbuing (giving to) inanimate/non-human objects human characteristics, i.e. in cartoons when a mouse talks, or walks around on it's hind legs, or drives a car.

Damned if I know
-ification indicates another gerund, meaning this word is a noun.
-nihil - is to nullfy/destroy/kill as is annihilate. If memory serves it means something akin to "nothing" in greek.

My best guess, without looking it up:

Some biological process, involving the death or destruction of something, whatever a "flocci" is.

anti- against or opposite
dis- apart or outside
-ism dentotes that the world is a noun, generally an idea or philosophy
establishment a common word for the established order.

This would would then mean "against the idea of seperating one's self from society".

Just break it down into it's component parts.

Rapper
02-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Figuring out what the long words mean is easier if you have a grasp of the parts.

English words, especially scientific ones, tend to use greek roots.

Without looking them up

1 adrenocorticotropic

adreno- having to do with the adrenaline/glandular system
cort- having to do with the immune system
cotropic- area?? (as in Tropic of Cancer) border??

My best guess is that this is an adjective meaning:
"something that is part of the human immune system's glands"

2 anthropomorphosis

Anthro-- human
morphic-- to change
osis-- process of (this is a way of denoting/indicating a gerund, i.e word that isn't a noun into a noun, in this case making an adjective into a noun.

This is the noun form that means:
Process of making or imbuing (giving to) inanimate/non-human objects human characteristics, i.e. in cartoons when a mouse talks, or walks around on it's hind legs, or drives a car.

Damned if I know
-ification indicates another gerund, meaning this word is a noun.
-nihil - is to nullfy/destroy/kill as is annihilate. If memory serves it means something akin to "nothing" in greek.

My best guess, without looking it up:

Some biological process, involving the death or destruction of something, whatever a "flocci" is.

anti- against or opposite
dis- apart or outside
-ism dentotes that the world is a noun, generally an idea or philosophy
establishment a common word for the established order.

This would would then mean "against the idea of seperating one's self from society".

Just break it down into it's component parts.

Perfect, you are so fantastic for explainning it so detailed to me!!!!

I appreciate you for that, I must copy it all in order to hand in my homework to my professor:downspin:

RandomGuy
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM

1 adrenocorticotropic

2 anthropomorphosis

1 adrenocorticotropic

Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH or corticotropin) is a polypeptide tropic hormone produced and secreted by the anterior pituitary gland. It is an important component of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and is often produced in response to biological stress (along with corticotropin-releasing hormone from the hypothalamus). Its principal effects are increased production of androgens and, as its name suggests, cortisol from the adrenal cortex.

-cort is not exactly "immune system", but rather denotes "steroid"
My guess is that this steroid serves some function in the immune system tho'.

2 anthropomorphosis

An`thro`po`mor´pho`sis
n. 1. Transformation into the form of a human being

Rare. the estimation of something as valueless (encountered mainly as an example of one of the longest words in the English language).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1735–45; < L floccī + naucī + nihilī + pilī all meaning “of little or no value, trifling” + -fication

4 antidisestablishmentarianism

Main Entry: antidisestablishmentarianism
Part of Speech: n
Definition: originally, opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England, now opposition to the belief that there should no longer be an official church in a country
Example: When people are asked for the longest word they know, they often say antidisestablishmentarianism.

----------------------------------

Pretty much got at least some part of each word right, if not the entire meaning.

In each case, though, understanding the parts of the words, and the origin (greak, latin, etc) got me closer to understanding the word. If the words were used in context, that would provide another part of understanding an unfamiliar word.

Here is one that most english speakers don't know:

Coffee- origin of this word is arabic, "Qaf"

Arabic denotes possession by adding an "i" (long "e") at the end.

So if you were to ask an arabic speaker holding a cup of Qaf what it was, he/she would say "Qafi", meaning "My Qaf".

If you weren't really up on the specifics of the language, you would then write a letter back to your friends in England/Europe about "Coffee", and not "Coff", as I would guess was done.

RandomGuy
02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Perfect, you are so fantastic for explainning it so detailed to me!!!!

I appreciate you for that, I must copy it all in order to hand in my homework to my professor:downspin:

I would not quite do that, as all of that was simply from my memory. I am good, but not quite perfect.

Your best bet is to try and break the parts of the words up and look them up in some kind of reference book, but you get the idea as to how to figure out what a word means by using the component parts.

English is part of the Germanic family of European languages, but borrows heavily from Latin for a lot of reasons.

In Europe, the first real widespread written language was Latin, from the old Roman Empire.

Latin itself borrowed a lot of words from Greek, when Greece was the most advanced portion of Western civilization.

Over time and centuries ago, Latin was the commonly accepted language of Christianity and was studied by anybody who wanted to learn to read and write.

It then became the language of science, especially since the language "died" with the Roman empire and quit changing, due to lack of living speakers. Living languages like modern American change constantly.

So when you see words that look long or unusual, they are most likely from either Latin or Greek.

Rapper
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I would not quite do that, as all of that was simply from my memory. I am good, but not quite perfect.

Your best bet is to try and break the parts of the words up and look them up in some kind of reference book, but you get the idea as to how to figure out what a word means by using the component parts.

English is part of the Germanic family of European languages, but borrows heavily from Latin for a lot of reasons.

In Europe, the first real widespread written language was Latin, from the old Roman Empire.

Latin itself borrowed a lot of words from Greek, when Greece was the most advanced portion of Western civilization.

Over time and centuries ago, Latin was the commonly accepted language of Christianity and was studied by anybody who wanted to learn to read and write.

It then became the language of science, especially since the language "died" with the Roman empire and quit changing, due to lack of living speakers. Living languages like modern American change constantly.

So when you see words that look long or unusual, they are most likely from either Latin or Greek.

Wow, well said, and this is my first time to hear something about that but good for me though

BTW, your saying style is like a teacher:lol, are you really a teacher????

Anyway, thanks once again

peewee's lovechild
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Technically, I wouldn't call American English vs Australian English dialects, because someone who speaks one would almost universally understand the other. Same with Spain Spanish vs Mexican Spanish. Maybe vulgar latin vs the latin of nobilities a few hundred years ago would qualify as dialects, but then again, maybe you'd just call them separate languages too. I don't think there's much difference between the notion of dialect and a separate language.

Spain Spanish??

What the shit is that?

People in Spain speak Spanish. Although, there are regional dialects in Spain as well. There's Galician, Catalonioan, etc.

People in Mexico speak a dialect of Spanish. There are many variations of Spanish.

Germans have the same thing. There's High German, which most Germans speak, but there's also Bavarian and a couple of other dialects.

The Chinese have this as well. Mandarin Chinese seems to be the most popular dialect, but I believe there's well over 100 dialects in Chinese.

nomanches
02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Spain Spanish??

What the shit is that?

People in Spain speak Spanish. Although, there are regional dialects in Spain as well. There's Galician, Catalonioan, etc.

People in Mexico speak a dialect of Spanish. There are many variations of Spanish.

Germans have the same thing. There's High German, which most Germans speak, but there's also Bavarian and a couple of other dialects.

The Chinese have this as well. Mandarin Chinese seems to be the most popular dialect, but I believe there's well over 100 dialects in Chinese.

Are you saying Galician and Catalan are dialects of Spanish? If so, I don't think you could consider those dialects of the type of Spanish spoken in Spain. I would consider those specific languages.

As to Mexican Spanish....The northern way of speaking in my opinion, is the best sounding.

Rapper
02-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Mandarin Chinese seems to be the most popular dialect, but I believe there's well over 100 dialects in Chinese.

Half wrong half right

Yes Mandarin Chinese is by far the most popular and important language in China nowadays, but how come i say you're "half wrong half right" is that because there are more than 3000 dialects in China nowadays

But all of us know Mandarin despite of accent difference,like you american english, Boston accent, NY accent, southern accent whatever, However, actually to our Chinese, what dialect do we speak is depending on what province do we live in, each province has its own dialect, but as i mentioned,Mandarin definitely dominites all part of China, all of us can speak it, But usually there are just 6 major dialects in China, besides those 6 dialects, other dialects jsut belong to very few part of Chinese people

PS:" one dialect called Cantonese, this is the most signifficant dialect in China except Mandarin . accroding to the lateset report from the news, there are more than 30 million people in the world who speak Cantonese as thier first language or second language.

peewee's lovechild
02-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Half wrong half right

Yes Mandarin Chinese is by far the most popular and important language in China nowadays, but how come i say you're "half wrong half right" is that because there are more than 3000 dialects in China nowadays

But all of us know Mandarin despite of accent difference,like you american english, Boston accent, NY accent, southern accent whatever, However, actuallt to our Chinese, cwhat dialect do we speak is depending on what province do we live in, each province has its own dialect, but as i mentioned,Mandarin definitely dominites all part of China, all of us can speak it, But usually there are just 6 major dialects in China, besides those 6 dialects, other dialects jsut belong to very few part of Chinese people

PS:" one dialect called Cantonese, this is the most signifficant dialect in China except Mandarin . accroding to the lateset report from the news, there are more than 30 million people in the world who speak Cantonese as thier first language or second language.

I did say there was well over 1000 dialects of Chinese. So, I was right.

peewee's lovechild
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Are you saying Galician and Catalan are dialects of Spanish? If so, I don't think you could consider those dialects of the type of Spanish spoken in Spain. I would consider those specific languages.

They are not "specifc languages", they are dialects.

RandomGuy
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Spain Spanish??

What the shit is that?

German has hundreds of dialects. Many of them are dying or dead, but High German should be distinguished between Modern High German and Old High German.

Remember that Germany, before 1860 or so, was composed of 200-300 little to medium sized kingdoms, a result of both the Black plague and the Protestant reformation wars, both of wich destroyed the bulk of the German population, and any social development of that country/society with it.

"Spain Spanish" is actually referred to as "Castillian Spanish".

The differences between the language spoken in Spain and the language spoken in Mexico are very analogous to the differences between American English and British English.

Most Mexicans (to my knowledge) think that Spaniards speak Spanish in an effete, faggy kind of way, just like Americans view hoity-toity British English speakers. :lol

Rapper
02-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I did say there was well over 1000 dialects of Chinese. So, I was right.

Oh sorry for my negect

so yes, you're right

But I got to admire you for your good sense and knowledge in Chinese language, 'cause just a few american people know about that

peewee's lovechild
02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
German has hundreds of dialects. Many of them are dying or dead, but High German should be distinguished between Modern High German and Old High German.

Remember that Germany, before 1860 or so, was composed of 200-300 little to medium sized kingdoms, a result of both the Black plague and the Protestant reformation wars, both of wich destroyed the bulk of the German population, and any social development of that country/society with it.

You are corrrect. I should have made that distinction.

"Spain Spanish" is actually referred to as "Castillian Spanish".

This is true. Castillian Spanish would be the main dialect.

The differences between the language spoken in Spain and the language spoken in Mexico are very analogous to the differences between American English and British English.

Most Mexicans (to my knowledge) think that Spaniards speak Spanish in an effete, faggy kind of way, just like Americans view hoity-toity British English speakers. :lol

This is very true.

RandomGuy
02-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Half wrong half right

But all of us know Mandarin despite of accent difference,like you american english, Boston accent, NY accent, southern accent whatever, However, actually to our Chinese, cwhat dialect do we speak is depending on what province do we live in, each province has its own dialect, but as i mentioned,Mandarin definitely dominites all part of China, all of us can speak it, But usually there are just 6 major dialects in China, besides those 6 dialects, other dialects jsut belong to very few part of Chinese people

Yup. Any large country sewn from the quilt of smaller kingdoms, such as Germany, France, or the much larger China, all tend to have a number of dialects stemming from the periods in which there as little to no contact between peoples of neighboring kingdoms. This physical/social isolation is what drives the creation of dialects.

Inventions of the printing press and common imperial languages, such as Old High German, have the effect of killing off or supressing dialects, as well as slowing the pace of change of a language.

FWIW: I have a bachelor's degree in German, and yes, I love linguistics, and took some electives that studied both linguistics and the history of the German language, and European history in general.

I am just starting to teach myself Chinese history and language as well, but am not formally studying it. Fascinating stuff. :toast

RandomGuy
02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow, well said, and this is my first time to hear something about that but good for me though

BTW, your saying style is like a teacher:lol, are you really a teacher????

Anyway, thanks once again

I am not a teacher, but will eventually retire at some point and probably teach.

I am an accountant, with a specialization in insurance. If you think I talk at length about this stuff, don't get me started on that... :sleep

Thank you for the honor of your compliment.

peewee's lovechild
02-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Yup. Any large country sewn from the quilt of smaller kingdoms, such as Germany, France, or the much larger China, all tend to have a number of dialects stemming from the periods in which there as little to no contact between peoples of neighboring kingdoms. This physical/social isolation is what drives the creation of dialects.

Inventions of the printing press and common imperial languages, such as Old High German, have the effect of killing off or supressing dialects, as well as slowing the pace of change of a language.

FWIW: I have a bachelor's degree in German, and yes, I love linguistics, and took some electives that studied both linguistics and the history of the German language, and European history in general.

I am just starting to teach myself Chinese history and language as well, but am not formally studying it. Fascinating stuff. :toast

Ich spreche ein bessen Deutche.

But, I seem to have lost the bulk of what I learned. There's no one here that I can practice with.

nomanches
02-19-2009, 01:01 PM
They are not "specifc languages", they are dialects.

Andalucian Spanish is slightly different from the Castellano spoken in Spain. That would be considered a dialect. Someone from Andalucia will understand someone from Madrid. Some Catalan words sound like Spanish, but that doesn't mean two speakers from those two languages would understand each other. They are mutually unintelligible. Therefore, they are different languages.

RandomGuy
02-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Ich spreche ein bessen Deutche.

But, I seem to have lost the bulk of what I learned. There's no one here that I can practice with.

Jetzt hast du eins.

Generally there are german speaking clubs associated with university programs.

UT Austin has a Deutschubendegesellschaft (German practicing society) that used to meet once per week at Schutz' beer garden (surprise).

I am sure that one can probably find somethign similar in New Braunfels or SA.

Werde ich es suchen.

Rapper
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Man you are awesome, this is also my first time to hear someone likes lingistics on spurstalk,it's good for you so I suppose you are capable of speaking some foreign language like German .and i have to tell you that If you master american english and one european language as well as one Asian language like Chinese, you will have a strong advantage for getting good jobs in the future.

peewee's lovechild
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Andalucian Spanish is slightly different from the Castellano spoken in Spain. That would be considered a dialect. Someone from Andalucia will understand someone from Madrid. Some Catalan words sound like Spanish, but that doesn't mean two speakers from those two languages would understand each other. They are mutually unintelligible. Therefore, they are different languages.

You don't understand the concept of dialects. And, I don't have the patience to explain it all to you.

Maybe RandomGuy can chime in.

peewee's lovechild
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Jetzt hast du eins.

Generally there are german speaking clubs associated with university programs.

UT Austin has a Deutschubendegesellschaft (German practicing society) that used to meet once per week at Schutz' beer garden (surprise).

I am sure that one can probably find somethign similar in New Braunfels or SA.

Werde ich es suchen.

I used to belong to Edelweiss when I lived in Brownsville. I haven't even bothered to look for anything since I moved up to San Anotnio.

And, honestly, if I were to find anything, I wouldn't be able to contribute much now.

It's been about 4 years since I had any meaningful dialogue in German.