PDA

View Full Version : Trade deadline chats

ploto
02-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Chad Ford- at noon ET

The biggest rumor out there right now has the Cavs discussing a trade for Shaq with the Phoenix Suns. Sources have confirmed the talks. The Cavs sound interested in a deal that would send Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic back to Phoenix. The Suns would obviously prefer that Wally Szczerbiak be in the deal. Either way it gets the Suns under the luxury tax threshold next season...
What's really interesting to me is I've been told they had a chance to get Carlos Boozer. Now, I know Cavs fans hate him for screwing the team in 2004 but he's a MUCH better fit than Shaq. This is crazy.

I heard last night that they had talked with the Grizzlies yesterday about an Amare deal. They need to clear about $7 to $9 million in room next year to avoid the luxury tax. However, if they can make the Shaq deal, they don't need to move Amare...

We keep hearing all morning that the Celtics were talking to the Kings about a deal for Nocioni. The Kings can move him again as long as they don't package him with other players on their roster. The Celtics would send back Scalabrine, Tony Allen, Glen Davis and Patrick O'Bryant. However, a Celtics source says there's nothing happening there. A Kings source, however, says it would be a possibility. I wonder why the Celtics WOULDN'T do that. Nocioni would be a great piece for them.

Marcus Bryant
02-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Nocioni

benefactor
02-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Marcus Bryant sighting.....

loveforthegame
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57397/20090219/shelden_williams_traded_to_minnesota/

The Minnesota Timberwolves have acquired Shelden Williams and guard Bobby Brown from Sacramento for Rashad McCants and veteran Calvin Booth, the Sacramento Bee is reporting.

The deal is currently pending league approval.

ploto
02-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Traded Bobby Brown!!!!

Bartleby
02-19-2009, 12:23 PM
+1 on Nocioni

If the Spurs could land him and call it a day I would be a happy Spurs fan.

katuso
02-19-2009, 12:23 PM
only 3hours left
Nocioni ...um maybe turn to be a spur

benefactor
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Traded Bobby Brown!!!!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LycoVPPuPk0/SKrYR2OsPSI/AAAAAAAAAH4/Gcfm6PUOdZk/s320/Bobby-brown-my-prerogative.jpg

ploto
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
A source who has been in the know for years tells me that Joe Smith is keeping his fingers crossed that the Thunder do not find another trade for him now that he's back in Oklahoma City.

Smith, the source said, would like to do a buyout and then sign with the Boston Celtics as this season's version of P.J. Brown.-- Chris Sheridan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

ploto
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Matt (MN): Any news of the Timberwolves? Or are we just waiting for the lottery?

Chad Ford: (12:24 PM ET ) They made a small trade today of Rashad McCants and Calvin Booth in return for Shelden Williams and Bobby Brown. It's a good trade for the Wolves. They are also talking to several teams about Jason Collin's expiring contract.

Bill (New Orleans): Any chance the Hornets still make a move with Chandler?

Chad Ford: (12:27 PM ET ) They are talking to teams. They feel like OKC way over reacted to Chandler's turf toe issue. The question is ... do they have enough time to make a deal. A team would have to be pretty sure that Chandler is healthy to make another deal for him.

MoSpur
02-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for posting

ploto
02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Steve (Toronto): Any trades for Houston Rockets?

Chad Ford: (12:29 PM ET ) They have spoken with a lot of teams about adding another guard now that TMac is out. But I think it will be a small deal ... not the bigger deals they were working on earlier in the week with Vince Carter and Baron Davis. Their best trade bait is Ron Artest's expiring contract. But I'm told, with TMac out, they'd prefer not to move it. Instead, Carl Landry may be the bait.

drewsky, DFW: Are there any Mavs rumors out there...seems unusually quiet in Big D...maybe TOO quiet??

Chad Ford: (12:34 PM ET ) They've been in the mix for a lot of deals, but nothing has turned for them. Wouldn't be surprised if they do something. They are offering Jerry Stackhouse and could get a player back to get some depth.

Vic, Philadelphia PA : Chad, any chance the Sixers move Dalembert today?

Chad Ford: (12:38 PM ET ) They've tried ... and tried ... and tried. Nothing is happening.

ploto
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Peter, Toronto: Has Bosh been mentioned anywhere in trade talks or was it purely rumours?

Chad Ford: (12:40 PM ET ) I don't think the Raptors have offered Bosh to anyone. I think lots of teams have called the Raptors, but it sounds like Bryan Colangelo is really firm that he won't trade him today

ploto
02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
From CCN-SI:

The big surprise of the morning was interest from the Indiana Pacers in making a run at Tyson Chandler, who was back in New Orleans after his trade to Oklahoma City had been rescinded. The Pacers could offer a combination of expiring contracts attached to center Rasho Nesterovic ($8.4 million), forward Marquis Daniels ($6.8 million) and point guard Jarrett Jack ($2 million), in addition to center Jeff Foster.

A potential trade for Chandler would come with a lot of luggage: Would he be able to pass his physical with Indiana, and would the Pacers -- who like a lot of teams are losing money -- be willing to take on salary and bump against the luxury tax ceiling next season? But Chandler would definitely improve the team in the company of a healthy Mike Dunleavy and All-Star Danny Granger next season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/02/18/trade.deadline.preview/index.html?eref=T1

Rasho to New Orleans- do it!!!

BlackSwordsMan
02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
spurs are staying the course with this crew

Dex
02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I'll be glad when 4 o'clock comes and we can just stop wondering about this shits.

Texas_Ranger
02-19-2009, 12:53 PM
But Rasho can't make a alley-oop!

benefactor
02-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Go Pacers!

MB20
02-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Carlos, Virginia: Are Spurs close to a deal?

Chad Ford: (12:51 PM ET ) I don't think so. But then again, they are the hardest team in the league to read. Nothing leaks out of there.

Marcus Bryant
02-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Come on Radoslav, do something for the Spurs.

benefactor
02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Ha ha...CIA Pop pwns Chad Ford.

WalterBenitez
02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Nocioni sounds expensive, isn't it?

JP le Requin
i hope a big like david lee for spurs...and why not malik rose in the package lol

Bartleby
Spurs had the chance to draft both Lee and Nocioni

:depressed

bigdog
02-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Carlos, Virginia: Are Spurs close to a deal?

Chad Ford: (12:51 PM ET ) I don't think so. But then again, they are the hardest team in the league to read. Nothing leaks out of there.

haha that just shows that it's CIA Pop in action as usual.

Now, whether he and RC can actually pull something off remains to be seen. Hopefully they don't fuck up any deal be sending it in too late ala JR Smith a few years back.

ploto
02-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Tommy: Loudonville, NY: What is the current status on Vince Carter talks?

Chad Ford: (1:03 PM ET ) Quiet

anjlbitz
02-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Tommy: Loudonville, NY: What is the current status on Vince Carter talks?

Chad Ford: (1:03 PM ET ) Quiet

No leaks from the Spurs... quiet VC trade status... hmm

DPG21920
02-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Ploto: what is the deal with Granger? Did they get the MRI back yet?

ploto
02-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Mike Fitz, MIT, Cambridge: Are there any gm's that simply will not answer your phone calls? Sounds like the Spurs don't like to talk, but do any Gm's truly dislike you?

Chad Ford: (1:08 PM ET ) Yes. There's a few that hate me. It's tough. Sometime you have to call it like you see it which means you have to criticize a GMs moves. Some have thin skin. It's tough to get a phone call returned when you call the guy the worst GM in the league.

:lol

bigdog
02-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Mike Fitz, MIT, Cambridge: Are there any gm's that simply will not answer your phone calls? Sounds like the Spurs don't like to talk, but do any Gm's truly dislike you?

Chad Ford: (1:08 PM ET ) Yes. There's a few that hate me. It's tough. Sometime you have to call it like you see it which means you have to criticize a GMs moves. Some have thin skin. It's tough to get a phone call returned when you call the guy the worst GM in the league.

Chris Wallace (Memphis): Ah, now I remember why I never return your calls....

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:13 PM ET ) Exactly :lol

YODA
02-19-2009, 01:15 PM
u get the feeling nothiNg gonna hAPPEN?

Brazil
02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
u get the feeling nothiNg gonna hAPPEN?

yes sir

Muser
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm on the mindset that nothing will happen.

This way if we don't make a trade I won't be dissapointed, but if we do then awesome.

:flag:

MB20
02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Frank, Ohio: What news is coming out of Cleveland? Shaq ... Boozer ... Jefferson ... Carter? Anything?!

Chad Ford: (1:14 PM ET ) It's kind of quiet right now. But that's not unusual. When it gets to crunch time, our phone calls normally don't get returned. Teams are on the phone with each other. The clock is ticking. Calling reporters to give updates isn't the top priority. I actually think the quiet is a sign that there are a lot of teams talking trying to see if something can happen. Patience.

Marcus Bryant
02-19-2009, 01:22 PM
I would think that the opportunity will be there for the Spurs to pick up a player on a smallish deal ($4 to 5 mil). With Udoka, Vaughn, and Horry's rights they could put together a package for a team that wants a straight up contract dump. Surely there is a GM out there who'd like to be able to tell his employer that he trimmed payroll at the deadline.

urunobili
Nocioni would be HUGE for the Celts... hope that doesn't happen...

ploto
Ploto: what is the deal with Granger? Did they get the MRI back yet?

I know last night, it did not sound good. He said he felt a "pop" and it was really painful. He was in a walking boot. MRI was supposed to be today, but I have heard no news.

Granger's injury comes when the Pacers are 4 1/2 games behind Milwaukee in the Eastern Conference playoff race and there's a chance starting swingman Mike Dunleavy could miss the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Jeff Foster, also a starter, missed his fourth straight game with a sore lower back. Reserve Josh McRoberts missed the game with the flu, leaving coach Jim O'Brien with just 10 players available after Granger's injury.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090219/SPORTS04/902190444/1004/SPORTS

ploto
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Derek from Detroit: IS IT THE KNICKS MAKING A DEAL????????????

Chad Ford: (1:22 PM ET ) Yes. Bulls and Knicks have agreed to a trade. Larry Hughes for Tim Thomas and Jerome James. I'm told it's waiting for league approval.

MB20
02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Edit: Ploto was faster...:lol

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Quiet is good for the Spurs....yall should know that by now.

MB20
02-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Chad Ford: Sorry guys, I've got to run. I have to write this story for ESPN.com. Keep checking back on the site over the next few hours. I'm sure there is more to come. Great chat today, over 10,000 questions. Wow.

NFGIII
02-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Spurs had the chance to draft both Lee and Nocioni

:depressed

That was painful, wepecially when you understand the RC got Noc's birthday wrong and thought he was under the age limit thereby passing on him in the draft. Otherwise we draft him at that time. As for Lee I don't remember what the circumstances were but the Noc situtaion will be forever burned into my memory.

ManuTP9
02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
on the phone with david aldridge: he said spurs looked at some people but they havent mentioned anything besides calling up Pops but you never know.

benefactor
02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
on the phone with david aldridge: he said spurs looked at some people but they havent mentioned anything besides calling up Pops but you never know.
Good enough for me.

neboat
02-19-2009, 01:42 PM
That was painful, wepecially when you understand the RC got Noc's birthday wrong and thought he was under the age limit thereby passing on him in the draft. Otherwise we draft him at that time. As for Lee I don't remember what the circumstances were but the Noc situtaion will be forever burned into my memory.

Man... how can RC make a mistake like that.... wish we drafted Noc. He would've made our team that much better... :bang

urunobili
02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Pops will be HUGE... Pops will be> Nazr in 2005

holcs50
just heard stephen A on ESPN talking about spurs and vince quite a bit. He said he only thinks there's a 20% chance that something will happen with vince. He said the Nets are willing to do it without any of the big 3 in it, and said he thinks the spurs should do it if they really want to win another 'chip in the window of the next few years.

He talked a bit about how the spurs have always been fiscally responsible and thinks thats prob why the deal won't get done.

I do agree if you have the chance to get a player like vince while still keeping your 3 best players you do it...i mean hes an 8 time all-star, high energy player that is aging but young enough he will still be a big time player over the next 2 years. But also agree with stephen A that they will remain fiscally responsible....so I dont think anything will happen...would've been interesting having vince on the team tho, id get my jersey right away

Bartleby

To be fair, I think it was somebody below RC who made the mistake (and who is no longer with the Spurs).

Lee was drafted with the 30th pick in 2005, two spots behind Mahinmi.

NFGIII
02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
A source who has been in the know for years tells me that Joe Smith is keeping his fingers crossed that the Thunder do not find another trade for him now that he's back in Oklahoma City.

Smith, the source said, would like to do a buyout and then sign with the Boston Celtics as this season's version of P.J. Brown.

-- Chris Sheridan

I don't know how everyone feels about this but I don't like it. As of now a player can be added to a team towards the end of the season, pass the trade deadline - aka... PJ Brown and Sam Cassell - thereby making a team that much better. The teams that have a chance at these players are playoff contenders - who in their right mind would go to a non-contender? - offering those players a chance at a ring. It just seems unfair to me that this is allowed to happen. And the allure of larger/glory markets in contention for the title will sway those types of players from seriously considering smaller market teams like the Spurs IMO.

I know that the Players Assc. would fight any change in this since it benefits one of theirs' but on a gut level I just don't like it. This is just wrong and it pisses me off that the Celtics could do what they did last year with those two players!

Of copurse if we got that player that put us over the top and lead to a title then it would OK by me!:p:

timvp
02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
That was painful, wepecially when you understand the RC got Noc's birthday wrong and thought he was under the age limit thereby passing on him in the draft. Otherwise we draft him at that time. As for Lee I don't remember what the circumstances were but the Noc situtaion will be forever burned into my memory.It wasn't RC. It was Sam Schuler.

And he was soon after not part of the FO anymore.

NFGIII
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
To be fair, I think it was somebody below RC who made the mistake (and who is no longer with the Spurs).

Lee was drafted with the 30th pick in 2005, two spots behind Mahinmi.

Yeah you're probably right but as we all know the person at the top ususally gets the blame. Still it was painful to know how we missed out on Noc.

And Lee would be a great fit on this team and most would be saying "Ian who?" if that would have happened.

NFGIII
02-19-2009, 01:49 PM
It wasn't RC. It was Sam Schuler.

And he was soon after not part of the FO anymore.

Thanks for the clarification. Still painful though.

DBMethos
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
C'mon CIA Spurs...

Marcus Bryant
02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
just heard stephen A on ESPN talking about spurs and vince quite a bit. He said he only thinks there's a 20% chance that something will happen with vince. He said the Nets are willing to do it without any of the big 3 in it, and said he thinks the spurs should do it if they really want to win another 'chip in the window of the next few years.

He talked a bit about how the spurs have always been fiscally responsible and thinks thats prob why the deal won't get done.

I do agree if you have the chance to get a player like vince while still keeping your 3 best players you do it...i mean hes an 8 time all-star, high energy player that is aging but young enough he will still be a big time player over the next 2 years. But also agree with stephen A that they will remain fiscally responsible....so I dont think anything will happen...would've been interesting having vince on the team tho, id get my jersey right away

Sold. Even if it's SAS positing it.

tp2021
02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Good to see you MB

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 01:53 PM
If i find out that NJ is only asking for either Hill or Mason and the Spurs still dont do the trade i will be VERY PISSED.

Mr. Body
02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
If i find out that NJ is only asking for either Hill or Mason and the Spurs still dont do the trade i will be VERY PISSED.

Yeah.

Texas_Ranger
02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
if i find out that nj is only asking for either hill or mason and the spurs still dont do the trade i will be very pissed.

+1

benefactor
02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I think they want both.

xtremesteven33
I think they want both.

I think they only want one....

ManuTP9

me to

bigdog
02-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Yeah. I can live with losing one of them, but not both of them.

DPG21920
If Manu is healthy, I say give up both. It is most definitely not a smart financial move, but basketball wise...

lebomb
I think they want both.

Too much to give up in my opinion.

tp2021

They probably want two, but might end up settling for 1.

Bartleby

I think the Spurs would have to pull the trigger if NJ were asking for just one of them. Otherwise the whole thing was pure smoke and mirrors from the very start.

NFGIII

Agreed.

Not both but I could live with one of them going. I would like to keep Hill over Mason simply because I don't want to see JV at backup PG.

bigdog
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
If the Nets really want to dump Carter's salary they will take what the Spurs have to offer.

DPG21920
02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't see a deal happening because of financial reasons, not personal reasons.

DBMethos
02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
From what I've heard, Portland has pretty much backed out at this point. Will New Jersey take our trash for their treasure?

holcs50
02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Yea SAS said the Nets are really bleeding money now and that's why they would be willing to do a trade and not get a big name back like any of the big 3. The main thing the nets really want to do is get his salary off their books the next few years. With that said, spurs have never been willing to shell out money that would put them into luxury tax and that's why its not going to happen IMO.

Marcus Bryant
02-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Good to see you MB

It's good to be back.

benefactor
02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
The San Antonio News-Express said the Nets and Spurs have discussed a deal that would send Carter to San Antonio for Roger Mason, George Hill, Fabricio Oberto and Bruce Bowen.

Link (http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Sports/Headlines/sptNBA01021909.htm)

chreph
02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I keep refreshing every 5 seconds hoping to see "VC to Spurs!" :bang

Mr. Body
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Dude, if they want BOTH Mason and Hill, you pack them in the same box, don't even think about it. If they want just ONE, then all the better.

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
From what I've heard, Portland has pretty much backed out at this point. Will New Jersey take our trash for their treasure?

Hard to believe anything anyone says right now. Portland could actually mean that, or they could just be saying that to see if Milwaukee or New Jersey up their offer.

DPG21920
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
If Manu is relatively healthy (meaning he won't miss more than a few weeks), do you think it is a good basketball decision to give up Hill and Mason in order to pair VC with Tim, Tony and Manu?

DPG21920
02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Also, just because the deadline is 2, does not mean all deals will be announced by then.

BacktoBasics
02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want to see both young guys go for a dude who's done in 2 years.

BacktoBasics
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Also, just because the deadline is 2, does not mean all deals will be announced by then.If I remember correctly we were seeing deals trickle though all the way up until 5 or so last year.

ATRAIN
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
I dont want to lose HIll, Mason will be gone when his contract is up so if we can get VC in place of Mason, im all for that.

coyotes_geek
Malik & cash to OKC for Wilcox.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57404/20090219/knicks_deal_rose_and_cash_for_wilcox/

benefactor
If Manu is relatively healthy (meaning he won't miss more than a few weeks), do you think it is a good basketball decision to give up Hill and Mason in order to pair VC with Tim, Tony and Manu?
I'm torn TBQH. I would give up Mason but I would rather keep Hill. I can't help but see visions of Tony carrying this team at the point for the rest of his career dancing in my head.

DPG21920
02-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Why would they do that? Edit: they gain an extra million in cap space.

loveforthegame
Some deals do take longer to be announced. But I think if there was a big trade like Carter to the Spurs we'd hear about it around noon time.

benefactor
I dont want to lose HIll, Mason will be gone when his contract is up so if we can get VC in place of Mason, im all for that.
Agreed. Mason actually said that in an article.

waly.mg
02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Malik & cash to OKC for Wilcox.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57404/20090219/knicks_deal_rose_and_cash_for_wilcox/

Please, waive him

bigdog
02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Agreed. Mason actually said that in an article.

link to article where Mason said this. Just in the past couple of days he said he wants to play here for "a very long time"

DPG21920
02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
When did Mason say he would be gone after his contract?

BacktoBasics
02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Agreed. Mason actually said that in an article.He's obviously worth more than what he's being paid. I think the Spurs would be open to a larger payday once his current deal is up.

What article are you talking about?

bigdog
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
He's full of shit. I highly doubt Mason said he would leave when his contract was done.

holcs50
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want to see both young guys go for a dude who's done in 2 years.

This was my thinking also-as those 2 would most likely help more in the long run....but then you know I started thinking with manu's body prob having some major issues after a few more years in the league as were already seeing some problems, TD heading into his older age, I think the championship window for the TD era really is this year and the two years following it which would bring TD to 35. VC is about 32 now and see him being a solid high flying player for about 2 years after this. So, if they really want to win in that window I think you go for it....but just dont see it happening cuz the spurs are fiscally responsible.

NFGIII
02-19-2009, 02:14 PM

I tend to agree since I believe that Mase will be asking for a lot more come contract time. And he has earned it with his play this year so I would do a VC for Mason and others but NEVER Mase/Hill and others. That is just too much for VC and it would really hurt our long term development IMO.

ATRAIN
02-19-2009, 02:14 PM
He's obviously worth more than what he's being paid. I think the Spurs would be open to a larger payday once his current deal is up.

What article are you talking about?

Thats why I dont think he will be back. He will leave like Jax did.

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Mason's future lies in what the Spurs decide to do with regards to a 2010 plan. If they want capspace (but won't have the max) then they probably have to lose Mason. If they decide to forget 2010 and shoot for 2012 they can resign Mason.

benefactor
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM
He's full of shit. I highly doubt Mason said he would leave when his contract was done.
He didn't say that he was leaving for sure...but he said that the reason why he signed a 2 year deal is so that he could be a part of the 2010 bidding. Some team that is left out in the cold on the bigger names will most certainly pay him too much. I'll have to track down the link.

bigdog
02-19-2009, 02:19 PM
He didn't say that he was leaving for sure...but he said that the reason why he signed a 2 year deal is so that he could be a part of the 2010 bidding. Some team that is left out in the cold on the bigger names will most certainly pay him too much. I'll have to track down the link.

Ah, well then that makes sense.

YODA
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
40 min

Marcus Bryant
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I remember when Beno was the hot shit rookie point guard and some wanted him to start over TP. Some are a bit carried away with Hill on this forum.

ATRAIN
02-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I remember when Beno was the hot shit rookie point guard and some wanted him to start over TP. Some are a bit carried away with Hill on this forum.

Yeah I feel that way a bit and I think we can draft another good PG but I think everyones fear is Vaughn. I know thats my fear.

DPG21920
02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Sjax was a lot younger and had a lot more upside than Mase. Not apples to apples.

ATRAIN
02-19-2009, 02:25 PM

Yeah and the way he has played I see that happening. If Manu comes back in a few weeks(fingers crossed) and we get Carter for what was mentioned (minus hill) I think we will be more than ok and in better shape. I think Thomas can play the role of out big that we need. Bonner is good when he shoots from 3 but other than that keep him out or in there with Thomas while Duncan gets rest.

ATRAIN
02-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Sjax was a lot younger and had a lot more upside than Mase. Not apples to apples.

Yeah I see that but Mase has made a name for himself and has turned some heads. He will be up for a payday and I dont think the spurs will pay that for someone that is a role player. We always lose role players and get others. If Gino is really hurt we will need VC. Other than parker we need someone who can drive the lane and help grind it out. VC is a shooter too so we wont be lacking there either.

Spursfan092120
02-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Thats why I dont think he will be back. He will leave like Jax did.

Read an article yesterday, can't remember where I found it, but Mason said he wanted to stay in San Antonio for a long time.

tp2021
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
28 minutes...

benefactor
02-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Read an article yesterday, can't remember where I found it, but Mason said he wanted to stay in San Antonio for a long time.
Large wads of cash can change people quickly.

Evil Angel
02-19-2009, 02:38 PM

POSTED: Feb. 19 -- 2:25 p.m. ET

Chad Ford: Spies in New Jersey say it looks like Vince Carter will finish the season as a Net. With just 45 minutes to go before the trade deadline, trade talks have stalled with Carter. It's not impossible that things heat up right toward the end. It's happened before. But right now the odds are strongly in favor of Carter remaining in New Jersey unless their owner, Bruce Ratner, comes back to management and tells them to dump him at any cost.

Could the Knicks make three deals today? Sources say the Kings have offered Kenny Thomas for Nate Robinson and Jared Jeffries. If the Knicks could move Jeffries, it would clear another $6.8 million in the summer of 2010. The Knicks would have to give up the talented Robinson and eat Thomas' $8.7 million salary next year ... but it's probably worth it to the Knicks. Especially now that they've shored up their offense with the Larry Hughes and Chris Wilcox deals.
--------------------

YODA
02-19-2009, 02:39 PM
20 min

YODA
02-19-2009, 02:41 PM
not hearing even a peep so far not good for any trade hopes

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-19-2009, 02:41 PM
You know what would be even better (that would never happen) than a VC to Spurs headline? SHEED TO SPURS!!!!!!....

Back to reality, I think it is pretty much safe to say that the Spurs are going to stand pat. Maybe this means that Ginobili is not going to miss that much time?

tp2021
02-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Jesus Christ, I wish i knew what was happening.

td4mvp21
02-19-2009, 02:42 PM
ESPN News is supposed to have Steven A. Smith back to talk in a little bit so maybe he'll have some more info for us.

DesignatedT
02-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Win now. Get vince

Mr. Body

POSTED: Feb. 19 -- 2:25 p.m. ET

Chad Ford: Spies in New Jersey say it looks like Vince Carter will finish the season as a Net. With just 45 minutes to go before the trade deadline, trade talks have stalled with Carter. It's not impossible that things heat up right toward the end. It's happened before. But right now the odds are strongly in favor of Carter remaining in New Jersey unless their owner, Bruce Ratner, comes back to management and tells them to dump him at any cost.

Could the Knicks make three deals today? Sources say the Kings have offered Kenny Thomas for Nate Robinson and Jared Jeffries. If the Knicks could move Jeffries, it would clear another $6.8 million in the summer of 2010. The Knicks would have to give up the talented Robinson and eat Thomas' $8.7 million salary next year ... but it's probably worth it to the Knicks. Especially now that they've shored up their offense with the Larry Hughes and Chris Wilcox deals.
--------------------

I totally believe it at this point. Nets are hanging onto Vince.

Bartleby
ESPN News is supposed to have Steven A. Smith back to talk in a little bit so maybe he'll have some more shouting for us.

fify

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I totally believe it at this point. Nets are hanging onto Vince.

Makes sense. They can still try to move him this offseason and teams will know more about what the cap & tax situations will be. I'm sure the uncertainty is scaring some teams from doing anything that adds payroll right now. Spurs are probably one of them...........

YODA
02-19-2009, 02:47 PM
less then 15 min

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Jesus Christ, I wish i knew what was happening.

"Nice putt on 18 there RC. Hey, isn't today the trade deadline?"

ManuTP9
02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
everyones reaction on spurstalk IF we land sheed

http://i38.tinypic.com/281a0qd.jpg

benefactor
02-19-2009, 02:49 PM
"Nice putt on 18 there RC. Hey, isn't today the trade deadline?"
You forgot the part where Pop asks RC for a wine refill.

timvp
02-19-2009, 02:50 PM

Heck, that might be my reaction if they land Joe Smith . . . . . .

loveforthegame
02-19-2009, 02:52 PM

That's not right.

Brox6
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
any trade?

benefactor
Shaq and RJ are staying put per RealGM.

MarHill

Heck, that might be my reaction if they land Joe Smith . . . . . .

Timvp,

Unfortunately, he will be going to Boston after he's bought out by OKC!

Dex

:lmao

Darkwaters
02-19-2009, 02:55 PM
It seems like we always pull a trade around the deadline. It's hard to imagine this day without something.

ManuTP9
02-19-2009, 02:55 PM
5 more minutes..

LockBeard
02-19-2009, 02:56 PM

Hahahaa yes

tp2021
02-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Holy fucking shitfucks, Batman.

timvp
02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Tick tock .............................................

Brox6
nothing?

santymrc
No trade.
I believe in this team if we have a healty manu, if not, this season is pretty much over for us.
It will help us develop more hill and who knows, last time manu was out he managed to get great numbers.
We might go to PO but i think it doesnt matter, we wont win it all.

benefactor
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Did Gayem just try to post a fake Sheed trade thread?

stxspurs
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
we suck again!!!

DBMethos
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
It's over.

bigdog

Yes, and he obviously failed.

tp2021
jayem just started a thread saying we got Sheed. I'm assuming its a load of shit, because its not there anymore.

holcs50

yea,lol. saw that

beachwood
Yes, and he obviously failed.

that really sucked. big time. fuck that guy.

Buddy Holly
One minute... one minute.

tp2021
02-19-2009, 03:00 PM
It is now

loveforthegame

I saw that but then it was gone.

Stupid.

benefactor
And that is that....bring on Pops.

ManuTP9
on man! im watching NBA TV right now for the deadline!

Duncan2177
The spurs are truly fucked.

Buddy Holly
Trade deadline is official... now!

rayray2k8
02-19-2009, 03:01 PM
That's it.. no sheed, no VC.
I'll say this now since I said I would...
I fucking told you so.
Now who's depressed??

We still needed a big and we didnt get it..
But I'm more worried about Manu at the moment..

urunobili
jayem just started a thread saying we got Sheed. I'm assuming its a load of shit, because its not there anymore.

he should be :ban:

benefactor
He should be pinked for that.

EricB
The spurs are truly fucked.

God would you STFU.

Buddy Holly
02-19-2009, 03:02 PM
That's it.. no sheed, no VC.
I'll say this now since I said I would...
I fucking told you so.
Now who's depressed??

Dude, trades don't get announced for a while. Claim down.

timvp
02-19-2009, 03:02 PM
I deleted Jayem's thread but I forgot how to ban someone. :madrun

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Who gives a shit about a trade, I am concered about MANU!

Brazil
So nobody get Carter ?

timvp
Hey Slomo if you read this can you ban Jayem's IP? Thanks.

scanry
We could've atleast traded for Joe Smith..

Now i'm depressed. :bang:bang

We don't need VC, we need a big man. TD is getting abused in every got damn game.

urunobili
I deleted Jayem's thread but I forgot how to ban someone. :madrun

Slomo to the rescue in 3, 2, 1...

Duncan2177
God would you STFU.

Okay god :rolleyes

bigdog
02-19-2009, 03:04 PM

:lol that's awesome

Kermit
02-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Okay god :rolleyes

Apparently, they were trying to get Camby.

ManuTP9
02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Dude, trades don't get announced for a while. Claim down.

exactly theres still time i mean not that much but you never know what can happen:flag:

benefactor
02-19-2009, 03:06 PM

http://www.antville.org/static/oelie/images/bruce%20lee%20animated%20gif.gif

mudyez
02-19-2009, 03:07 PM
lets use the favourit line of the last few days:

its all smokescreen for....

...uhm...doing nothing?

DesignatedT
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
its done. now lets just hope manu is okay. or we are in BIG trouble. it just came down to the spurs not wanting to be over the lux tax.

ManuTP9
just now on NBA tv David aldridge said about spurs and VC was that they just coudlnt get the numbers to work with san antonio

Marcus Bryant
just now on NBA tv David aldridge said about spurs and VC was that they just coudlnt get the numbers to work with san antonio

Gosh darn.

EricB
02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Couldn't get the numbers to work?

WTF does THAT mean?

Buddy Holly
02-19-2009, 03:10 PM
So Jayem is in Nebraska. lol

Mr. Body

How much time do they need? It's like they just started yesterday.

ManuTP9

WTF does THAT mean?

not sure also he said its a high possiblity nets keep him.

urunobili
02-19-2009, 03:11 PM
So Jayem is in Nebraska. lol

where in NE... Omaha?

Jayem
02-19-2009, 03:11 PM
what kind of mod doesn't know how to ban? wow. and wheres your sense of humor? no trade went down, manu could be out for the season, nothing wrong with making a joke. lighten up.

Spurminator
02-19-2009, 03:12 PM
POSTED: Feb. 19 -- 3:05 p.m. ET

Marc Stein: Looks like we have a fairly significant three-way deal that has been submitted to the league just before the trade deadline.

NBA front-office sources tell ESPN.com that Orlando is acquiring Rafer Alston (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=11) from Houston to fill the void created at point guard by Jameer Nelson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2439)'s shoulder injury.

The Rockets will receive Memphis guard Kyle Lowry (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3012), Orlando forward Brian Cook (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1998) and perhaps two other minimum-salaried players to make the finances work.

The Grizzlies will receive a first-round pick from Orlando.

King
Three team trade - Rockets, Magic, Grizz -- Alston to the Magic is the main name involved. Heading to Orlando.

Duncan2177

WTF does THAT mean?

Hey STFU :rolleyes

jag

It's all good...Buck said Hairston might be getting some burn tonight.

Marcus Bryant
02-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Spurs announce that Manu is out for the year and then are able to say they tried to land VC, but that the Nets wanted too much or whatever.

:jack

Buddy Holly
02-19-2009, 03:13 PM
where in NE... Omaha?

Yeah.

DBMethos
02-19-2009, 03:14 PM
LOL @ that Orlando trade being "fairly significant".

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-19-2009, 03:16 PM
nate (seattle,wa): did carter go anywhere?

http://a.espncdn.com/i/sn2.gif John Hollinger: (3:13 PM ET ) No, and that's the biggest surprise to me. With the way the Nets are losing money I though they'd be under major pressure to get rid of him, and a lot of people I talked to agreed with that assessment.

td4mvp21
02-19-2009, 03:27 PM
So did we officially not make a trade? Or could we still find out about one later?

timvp
02-19-2009, 03:28 PM
So did we officially not make a trade? Or could we still find out about one later?
If we don't hear anything in about 20 more minutes, it'd be safe to say no trade made by the Spurs.

ploto
Our Chris Sheridan reports that Boston sent Patrick O'Bryant to Toronto for Will Solomon. I had heard that the Raps were shopping Solomon and they certainly could use a big.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25127

Yippee!!

buttsR4rebounding

yes

Spurminator
POSTED: Feb. 19 -- 3:22 p.m. ET

Chris Sheridan: A source tells me the Boston Celtics (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=bos) have agreed to trade Patrick O'Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3019) to Toronto for backup point guard Will Solomon (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1023). There were reports that O'Bryant was headed to Sacramento, but this deal fills Boston's need for another option at point guard behind Rajon Rondo (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3026), Eddie House (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=348) and Gabe Pruitt (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3227), and it gives the Raptors another big body to bring off the bench.

Anyone who watched Andrea Bargnani (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2987) and Jake Voskuhl (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=879) try to stop Zydrunas Ilgauskas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=362) last night can see why the Raptors would be looking for some more size.

urunobili
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
If we don't hear anything in about 20 more minutes, it'd be safe to say no trade made by the Spurs.

so until 3 there's still a chance we may know something?

mudyez
02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
wow...thats a real blockbuster by boston :)

Bruno
02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Baring no big trades arrived, it has been a very quiet trade deadline. No big names traded and most trades were between crappy teams.

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Jeremy (Los Angeles): Any picks up in the Spurs near future? What is the outlook for the Spurs in this summer's free agent market?

http://a.espncdn.com/i/sn2.gif John Hollinger: (3:35 PM ET ) A little early for free agent speculation -- it depends in part on whether they cut Bowen and Oberto (both have partial guarantees). As for short-term pickups, I think they'd definitely look at bringing back Rasho Nesterovic if he can reach a buyout deal with the Pacers.

Brazil
02-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Jeremy (Los Angeles): Any picks up in the Spurs near future? What is the outlook for the Spurs in this summer's free agent market?

http://a.espncdn.com/i/sn2.gif John Hollinger: (3:35 PM ET ) A little early for free agent speculation -- it depends in part on whether they cut Bowen and Oberto (both have partial guarantees). As for short-term pickups, I think they'd definitely look at bringing back Rasho Nesterovic if he can reach a buyout deal with the Pacers.

Rasho !!!!!!!!!!!

bigdog
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM

I was actually thinking that they could bring back Rasho this season if it doesn't work out in Indiana, because they don't want him there.

He is actually playing pretty decently this year, too.

Ok now, everyone can start bashing me.

urunobili
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM

BS Hollinger at his best...

Spurminator
02-19-2009, 03:42 PM
nm, misread

Evil Angel
02-19-2009, 03:43 PM
I was actually thinking that they could bring back Rasho this season if it doesn't work out in Indiana, because they don't want him there.

He is actually playing pretty decently this year, too.

Ok now, everyone can start bashing me.

Rasho??? :lmao

Hope the best news coming for Manu.

coyotes_geek
Assuming it won't happen is always the safe play with these things, but if the Pacers were to buy out Rasho the Spurs should jump on that immediately.

Marcus Bryant

Goodbye cruel world.

mudyez
02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
lol...I really was looking forward comming home today (at about 3pm) ...lets see who we got! I cant wait! is it vince? is it jefferson? is it even wallace? or at least joe smith?

is the date wrong or have I done a mistake converting the times into european time?

I cant find an information about who will hand us our 5th title?

give me a link plz!

timvp
02-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I would *gulp* take Rasho back ..............

Bartleby
02-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I cant find an information about who will hand us our 5th title?

give me a link plz!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=sas

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-19-2009, 03:46 PM
spurs and nuggets do squat.........i guess i can't be too mad at the Nuggets FO considering their blockbuster trade happened early in the season :smokin

mudyez
02-19-2009, 03:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=sas

these names sound familiar...hope they are good!

pad300
02-19-2009, 03:48 PM

For a vet min, which is about the only thing we could offer after a buyout... Hell yes. He'd be as good a big (outside of Duncan) as has been playing for us this season. And he'd be the best possible fit on the market - he does know the Spurs D scheme and how to play it.

This season he's putting up a PER of 15.4, and unlike Bonner, is worth something on the defensive end. I think he'd be a much better match up with Bynum than KT (assuming TD ends up on Pau).

bigdog
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM

I would actually do it in a heartbeat. I know that sounds crazy.

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
As long as Manu is not seriously injured or has somethingelse wrong with him I am ok...

silverblackfan
02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Lot of Ifs on the Pacers part, but I would also welcome Rasho for another ring.

Evil Angel
02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I would actually do it in a heartbeat. I know that sounds crazy.
I think he would be "Serviceable" but not what is really needed.

Bartleby
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Chaz (NJ): The Spurs definitely dropped the ball on the VC trade. Hill and Mason are no excuse for not getting Carter.

SportsNation John Hollinger: (3:57 PM ET ) Thought it was the right move for them. In that market, you can't compete if you have bad contracts. Carter was too great a risk of becoming a bad contract in the ending years of the deal.

ManuTP9
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
wtf david aldridge on NBA tv just said spurs were intreseted in Mccants but it didnt go through .... idk why they would be intrested in that though

benefactor
02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
What is it with these dumbasses making fake trade threads?

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
wtf david aldridge on NBA tv just said spurs were intreseted in Mccants but it didnt go through .... idk why they would be intrested in that though

Makes me real nervous about Manu if the Spurs were out there shopping for any SG/SF who can score points.

timvp
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM

Don't like the sound of that. Why would the Spurs need McCants?

timvp
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Makes me real nervous about Manu if the Spurs were out there shopping for any SG/SF who can score points.

Exactly :depressed

Marcus Bryant
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Malik Hairston it's time to Carmelo-ize.

:drunk

ManuTP9

exactly what i was thinking i just dont get it

timvp
Malik Hairston it's time to Carmelo-ize.

:drunk

:toast

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM

Damnit I can't take this emotional roller coaster anymore :depressed

mardigan
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
McCants to Kings for Shelden Williams, in a who gives a shit move.

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/i/sn2.gif John Hollinger: (4:15 PM ET ) More Sacto money saving: I'm now reading they'll buy out Mikki Moore, who has only $2 million guaranteed next year if he's waived by draft day. I think he's pretty much a spent force, but a few contending teams will likely bid to get him for the minimum.

I haven't followed this guy at all this year, would he be a good fit with us?

xtremesteven33
I haven't followed this guy at all this year, would he be a good fit with us?

If Manus out theres no point.

mardigan
I would rather have Rasho than Mikki Moore.

KaiRMD1
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't get it, since when was the trade deadline such a big deal? I've never heard so much about the trade deadline since last year. Now, everybody's trading everyone and their mother. it's madness!

stxspurs
02-19-2009, 04:25 PM
is pops gonna be called up??

ManuTP9
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
is pops gonna be called up??

hope so