PDA

View Full Version : Per ESPN 1250 Manu to miss two to three weeks

MoSpur
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Manu has a stress reaction to his distral right fibulia. Meaning he will be out for two to three weeks

tmtcsc
02-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Exhale.

Shastafarian
Manu has a stress reaction to his distral right fibulia. Meaning he will be out for two to three weeks

I don't believe that's a correct medical term

Texas_Ranger
that a good news.:)

SPURS21
Could be worse...

Gives him ample time to be 100% for playoff time.

mardigan
02-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Does Pops get brought up for the time being?

tmtcsc
I think we all had a stress reaction in here.

PeterBurns
Wasn't this the same station that yesterday said that Rasheed to Spurs was done, and that Manu was out for the year. Just saying... ;)

JP le Requin
he will be fresh for the PO and i hope at 100% with bowen too, now malik and mason gave to step up their offense

Trainwreck2100
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't believe that's a correct medical term

sometimes right fibulas bight off more then they can chew

tmtcsc
Any news on trades or pick ups ? Are we going with this group to the playoffs ?

to21
stress reaction.

MoSpur
02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Why the hate Peter? LOL. Well, he read it straight from the press release.

thispego
02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
you dumbasses still dont know what's wrong with him. this is no cause for relief if you were actually worried in the first place.

texbound
02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
you dumbasses still dont know what's wrong with him. this is no cause for relief if you were actually worried in the first place.

In 2000, didn't the Spurs also say Tim Duncan would be out a couple of weeks? I'm just saying.

tmtcsc
Wasn't this the same station that yesterday said that Rasheed to Spurs was done, and that Manu was out for the year. Just saying... ;)

Peter, I like your show and that's it. I steer away from 760 the rest of the day but I agree that there will be some credibility issues in here.

I'm sorry but Kori and TIMVP, your sources gave everyone in here aneurisms. Keep up the good work and I am so glad that 3 of your sources were wrong. Hell, maybe they didn't know all their facts yet and gave you what they had.

vy65
just reported it on espn news - stress reaction

timvp
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
If this is true it's a major relief. Waiting for confirmation from Pop.

Wonder if it's something that could get worse over time or after he sits out it'll be good to go. A lot of people guessed stress fracture so not too surprising but good news.

Hopefully surgery isn't an option if it doesn't respond.

Twisted_Dawg
...........Hello mid-level money on next contract.

MoSpur
I hope its not a stress fracture. I am not happy he's going to miss 2-3 weeks, but it could be worse. These ankle things are not always cut and dry and that is what scares me.

timvp
http://www.guzer.com/pictures/boy_dog_pray.jpg

The Spurs can survive two to three weeks. Please make it so. Thanks.

KenMcCoy
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
One good thing is the Spurs FO was cautious with him. Not like Houston w/ Yao where they told himn to keep on playing.

PeterBurns
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Right 2-3 weeks. Let it heal...then test it again.
2-3 Minimum before he's back. Doesn't mean he'll be back, just that it's 2-3 weeks.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I still don't know what a "stress reaction" is. Is it an inflammatory reaction? Is it a stress fracture? Stress reaction is greek to me.

Kori Ellis
Peter, I like your show and that's it. I steer away from 760 the rest of the day but I agree that there will be some credibility issues in here.

I'm sorry but Kori and TIMVP, your sources gave everyone in here aneurisms. Keep up the good work and I am so glad that 3 of your sources were wrong. Hell, maybe they didn't know all their facts yet and gave you what they had.

They weren't wrong. They said he MIGHT be out for the year and I explained throughout the thread that it wasn't for sure, and we just needed to wait for the test results.

MarHill
http://www.guzer.com/pictures/boy_dog_pray.jpg

The Spurs can survive two to three weeks. Please make it so. Thanks.

That's a great picture, Timvp!

I didn't know that dogs could pray!! :lol

nkdlunch
Please let this be the worst case scenario.

NFGIII
I think we all had a stress reaction in here.

:lmao

And then some. This waiting to find out has been killing me.

MoSpur
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
These past two days were very scary.

TDomination
Thank you Lord.

to21

I'm sorry but Kori and TIMVP, your sources gave everyone in here aneurisms. Keep up the good work and I am so glad that 3 of your sources were wrong. Hell, maybe they didn't know all their facts yet and gave you what they had.Mike Taylor just called out Timvp also.

timvp
02-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Right 2-3 weeks. Let it heal...then test it again.
2-3 Minimum before he's back. Doesn't mean he'll be back, just that it's 2-3 weeks.Yeah, this isn't the greatest of news. Stress fracture/reaction in one ankle and the other ankle is surgically repaired?

This 2-3 weeks sounds optimistic. Hopefully the Spurs will explain further and why Manu will be able to heal that fast.

justinandimcool
2-3 weeks? Keep him out for double that amount. Duncan and Parker will hold which isn't even a question, sign a big man (albeit Rasho or Moore) or whatever. Just make sure Manu is 110% for the playoffs.

MoSpur
Peter, I like your show. I do, but the rest of the stuff on there, especially Mike Taylor is pretty pathetic. I tune into you and Andy every morning and enjoy it.

bigdog
I also just saw this on the ESPNews Ticker

Kori Ellis
02-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Mike Taylor just called out Timvp also.

:lol That's funny. It was people with the Spurs saying that he MIGHT be out for the year. We were just passing on the information since other GMs were saying it too.

timvp
Mike Taylor just called out Timvp also.

Who is Mike Taylor? The guy on the Clippers?

Harry Callahan
A stress reaction is a "hot spot". A stress fracture as you might guess is a full blown break. Good thing they are being careful and keeping him out.

This might mess up the #2 or #3 seed, but if Manu was done for the year, seeding would not really matter in the end.

MoSpur
If no trade was made, do the Spurs bring in a Marcus Williams or James White?

KenMcCoy
This 2-3 weeks sounds optimistic. Hopefully the Spurs will explain further and why Manu will be able to heal that fast.

Because every hispanic with rosary beads in SA will be praying for a fast recovery!!!:lol

nkdlunch
02-19-2009, 04:57 PM
What's the difference between a "stress reaction" and a "stress fracture"? The orthopedic surgeon is trying to decide if I have a stress reaction of the navicular bone in my left foot.
Posted January 13th, 2006 by Matt
in Foot
Let's look at what's the same about these two problems. The key thing they have in common is that the injury occurs in response to repetitive overloading of the bone. This is most common in athletes involved in sports activity. Long-distance runners, military recruits, track and field athletes, and gymnasts are the most likely to suffer a navicular fracture.

The navicular bone is located in the midfoot. The tarsal bone rests on top of the calcaneal (heel) bone. The navicular bone is just in front of the tarsal bone on the same side as the big toe.

The difference between a 'reaction' and 'fracture' is a matter of degree. Both suggest a disruption of the bone metabolism. Fracture can be seen on most imaging studies (X-ray, MRI, CT scan), whereas a stress reaction only shows up as increased bone activity on a bone scan.

Both injuries cause midfoot pain and swelling. Weight-bearing (walking, running) make it worse; resting makes it better. Both should be treated with six weeks of casting with nonweightbearing.

Scott G. Burne, MBBS, FACSP, et al. Tarsal Navicular Stress Injury. Long-Term Outcome and Clinicoradiological Correlation Using Both Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In The American Journal of Sports Medicine. December 2005. Vol. 33. No. 12. Pp. 1875-1881.

jack sommerset
Could be worse...

Gives him ample time to be 100% for playoff time.

How can you be a 100 percent if you can't play/practice?

Shastafarian
A stress reaction is a "hot spot". A stress fracture as you might guess is a full blown break. Good thing they are being careful and keeping him out.

So they're going by inflammation then? Otherwise how would they know where the hot spot is?

timvp
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Both should be treated with six weeks of casting with nonweightbearing.Interesting.

nkdlunch
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
I also think 2-3 weeks is too optimistic.

Could easily be 6 weeks. Which makes the "done for season" rumors very, very valid.

Harry Callahan
02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
I think he meant fibula on the bone. I think that is probably better than something directly in the ankle.

Spurminator
Cool with me if this is true. More minutes for Mason and Hill to prepare for the Playoffs.

Kori Ellis
I think he meant fibula on the bone. I think that is probably better than something directly in the ankle.

Yeah I said yesterday that we heard it wasn't ankle. I guess that's correct if it's fibula - that's calf bone, right?

anjlbitz
Distal Fibula.. it's on the shin

Agloco
02-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Distal Right Fibula?

ss1986v2
02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I still don't know what a "stress reaction" is. Is it an inflammatory reaction? Is it a stress fracture? Stress reaction is greek to me.

4 seconds with a google search yields:

An overload or overuse type phenomenon occurs with inflammation and, ultimately, fatigue failure with stress fracture. This is a precursor condition to stress fracture. A period of rest is mandatory for tissues to quiet down or worsening injury will result.

tyler hansbrough was diagnosed with a stress reaction prior to the start of this season. he missed about 3 weeks.

bonesinaz
Interesting.

The navicular is a weight bearing tarsal bone of the foot. The fibula is a non-weight bearing bone of the lateral lower leg.

SpursFan0728
can anyone explain why RC is going to DET or is it just another rumour?

Texas_Ranger
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3919551

jiggy_55
In case this article wasnt posted already..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ajqb3_Ge7Xsr89ZTg4hqnse8vLYF?slug=ys-ginobiliout021909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Spurs’ Ginobili sidelined 2-3 weeks
By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports
18 minutes ago
Buzz up! 0 votes
Print
San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili will be out two to three weeks with an injury to his right shin.

Ginobili had played with some pain in the ankle prior to the All-Star break, and tests revealed he has a stress reaction of his distal right fibula, a few inches above his ankle. Ginobili had surgery on his left ankle in August and missed the first month of the season.

Ginobili did not accompany the team on its current trip East. The Spurs did not release specific information about Ginobili’s injury until after the trade deadline to avoid being leveraged during their talks Ginobili could miss about 10 games if he’s sidelined for the full three weeks.

bonesinaz
02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Distal Fibula.. it's on the shin

Wrong. It is the lateral lower leg. The shin is the tibia.

mexicanjunior
2-3 weeks? Keep him out for double that amount. Duncan and Parker will hold which isn't even a question

The Spurs just got done losing to the Knicks without Manu and the Raptors before that with him...I think Duncan and Parker holding is definitely in question.

KenMcCoy
Probably pretty common for something like this to happen after surgery to his other leg due to overcompensation.

degenerate_gambler
it's time to toss hairston some quality minutes consistently and see if he can hang with the big boys...

Agloco
Yeah I said yesterday that we heard it wasn't ankle. I guess that's correct if it's fibula - that's calf bone, right?

Smaller of the two bones in the lower leg. The Fibula is the lateral bone. Both run from the heel to the knee

anjlbitz
02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Wrong. It is the lateral lower leg. The shin is the tibia.

Yeah you're right. My bad. got confused

timvp
http://www.lifeinfozone.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/rosary-beads.jpg

PeterBurns
I think it was a not so subtle dig at the guys across the street.

MoSpur
Hey, Peter, Chris Duel is calling you out.

Summers
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Fibula is the skinny bone on the outside of your calf. The "distal end" would be the part that forms the bony outside protuberance of your ankle, so it is kind of his ankle, but not inside it... if that makes sense.

Henry Cisneros
02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Looks like Manu's career is like mine now.

tonylongoriafan
this is all a little much...the presser, then not knowing if there will be a presser, the we find out a statement will be released but no one knows when, then it drops and we still don't know what's happening...a stress reaction?

Creation88
The test results are in on Manu Ginobili, and the news is not as dire as it could have been.

He has a stress reaction in his right fibula, diagnosed today after a series of tests including X-rays, and MRI and a CAT scan, and is expected to miss two to three weeks.

Ginobili has been battling soreness in his ankle since a Feb. 2 game at Golden State. The team's medical staff believes rest to be the best cure at this point.

A stress reaction is a weakening of the bone, which usually regenerates itself in time. If not properly cared for, a stress reaction can become a fracture.

At any rate, it should be a tough two-to-three weeks for the Spurs. They are 6-8 this season in games played without Ginobili.

SPURS21
02-19-2009, 05:07 PM
How can you be a 100 percent if you can't play/practice?

Based on the original 2-3 week assumption that gives him 5-6 weeks to play and get his groove back, IMO 5-6 weeks is more than enough time. Now if it takes considerably longer, as that medical article just posted suggests than he likely won't be 100% till after the playoffs (unless we go deep)

MoSpur
02-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Sounds like shin splints. I don't think we have anything to worry about. That's just my opinion. I am sure Manu will post something on his blog or website saying he's fine and just needs to rest to be cautious.

tonylongoriafan
02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
A stress reaction is a weakening of the bone, which usually regenerates itself in time. If not properly cared for, a stress reaction can become a fracture.

drink milk motherfucker!

Walton Buys Off Me
02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't know what I'm more concerned about;

1. The Spurs penchant for hanging their season on the health of the least durable guard in the NBA next to Gilbert Arenas.

or...

2. The Spurs inability to acquire a big man to assist Duncan against the Lakers. If Andrew Bynum can't play come May, the Spurs are very likely one serviceable big man away from winning their fifth title but the FO couldn't get anything done.

Either way, I'm not impressed.

With or without Bynum, the Lakers aren't pushed more than 6 games by this team. I also find it interesting that Gregg Popovich was quoted during the recent Boston game that "the team as currently constructed cannot win a seven game series over LA, Boston or Cleveland". Yet we do absolutely nothing to rectify the glaring hole in the middle.

Even if we miraculously hold Kobe to 40% shooting, the likes of Gasol, Odum, Ariza (and Bynum) will eat us up on the boards.

Spurs get at best a D- in my book for doing squat to acquire the only missing piece standing in their way to a title. Quite frustrating.

timvp
02-19-2009, 05:10 PM
The test results are in on Manu Ginobili, and the news is not as dire as it could have been.

He has a stress reaction in his right fibula, diagnosed today after a series of tests including X-rays, and MRI and a CAT scan, and is expected to miss two to three weeks.

Ginobili has been battling soreness in his ankle since a Feb. 2 game at Golden State. The team's medical staff believes rest to be the best cure at this point.

At any rate, it should be a tough two-to-three weeks for the Spurs. They are 6-8 this season in games played without Ginobili.The good news is it appears as if Manu and the Spurs dogged a bullet and rest should be able to fix it. The bad news is that this could very well be something that lingers, especially considering it's his "good" ankle.

Overall, I'm pretty damn happy about the outcome. With as pessimistic as people around the Spurs were the last few days, the extra testing must have shown it wasn't as bad as first feared.

Summers
Sounds like shin splints. I don't think we have anything to worry about. That's just my opinion. I am sure Manu will post something on his blog or website saying he's fine and just needs to rest to be cautious.

It's not the shin. The distal end of the fibula is the ankle bone.

Laker Lanny
It's called karma bitches!!

Manu is out!! stop all the bitching and move on! It's wasn't like you was going to get past the LAKERS! :lmao

stu scotts eye
02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I actually had to deal with a fully broken right fibula (but no surgery needed since break was clean) from a football injury.

The good news is the fibula is not the weight bearing bone, the tibia is. I had to wear a protective boot for 2-3 weeks, and spent 2-3 weeks rehabbing it. If the break is near the ankle area, where the fibula connects, it will be longer to rehab. When I fully broke it near the ankle, my explosion and agility were limited when the boot came off, and my balance was a little off.

Manu prob. put too much pressure on it, to compensate for the weakness of his other ankle. And the cycle will continue since his surgery ankle will now become much stronger than this new injury.

timvp
02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm going to guess the Spurs backed off of Carter and Jefferson after getting the news that Manu should be able to return. From most reports, the Nets were willing to ship VC to the Spurs for that package containing Hill and Mason. That's a trade you discuss and work out while you wait to see if Manu is a go or not.

S_A_Longhorn
02-19-2009, 05:12 PM

That's funny, since Don Harris confirmed with the Spurs that Manu wasn't going to play on the current road trip.

Yet, the guys on the Sports Zone were asking Mr. T if Manu was going play in the Detroit game at 6:55 PM last night.

Just saying... ;)

(This is a low blow, even for you ex-Mr Stacie Burns. Thanx for for giving me no reason to ever listen to the Ticket 760 if you are allowed to do this shit.)

Agloco
02-19-2009, 05:13 PM
So they're going by inflammation then? Otherwise how would they know where the hot spot is?

It's a Radiological reference to an area in a scan which shows an increased uptake of injected radiotracers.

Manu was injected with radiotracers and then his bones were looked at for increased turnover.

It's not the same as soft tissue inflammation.

half a man
02-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Last week he turned his back on Mouse and bashed him for having many screen names, then he wouldn't let him on the caller hall of fame list even though mouse called on day one and is a legend. I think Chris is losing it.

He is not half the man I thought he was.

tmtcsc
They weren't wrong. They said he MIGHT be out for the year and I explained throughout the thread that it wasn't for sure, and we just needed to wait for the test results.

You're right. This Manu injury wasn't blown out of proportion. Along with mentioning that 3 out of 4 of your sources were saying he might be done, you also mentioned that it wasn't a sore right ankle and that we should all PRAY, PRAY, PRAY.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the site and what you guys do but this thing took on a life of its own and very little water was poured on this to calm people down.

Did you guys have any idea that it was a possible stress fracture or stress reaction ? I come here for my Spurs fix and don't plan on going anywhere else and I really appreciate the extra information but.....perhaps you said a little too much w/o having the freedom to expand on it.

mexicanjunior
I'm going to guess the Spurs backed off of Carter and Jefferson after getting the news that Manu should be able to return. From most reports, the Nets were willing to ship VC to the Spurs for that package containing Hill and Mason. That's a trade you discuss and work out while you wait to see if Manu is a go or not.

If that is true, we would have been better assuming it would be more serious. I would take my chances with a healthy Carter (minus Hill and Mason) than a banged up Manu with no guarantee he will return to form (with Hill and Mason).

Kori Ellis
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
You're right. This Manu injury wasn't blown out of proportion. Along with mentioning that 3 out of 4 of your sources were saying he might be done, you also mentioned that it wasn't a sore right ankle and that we should all PRAY, PRAY, PRAY.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the site and what you guys do but this thing took on a life of its own and very little water was poured on this to calm people down.

At the time that thread was made, the Spurs doctors hadn't analyzed the results and that's why it was said that he MIGHT be out for the season. I repeatedly said in that thread that a) it wasn't exactly an ankle (it wasn't), b) that my hope was he'd be back in 3 weeks or so c) and that people should calm down because it wasn't for sure that he was out for the season. We knew about this for 24 hours before we posted the thread and didn't post it because we didn't want to cause panic. We didn't post it until the Yahoo article came out saying that other GMs were hearing it was a serious injury.

As far as praying, of course Spurs fans should pray that Manu's not going to be out for any period of time .. the Spurs aren't going to win much without him.

Mugen
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
i can slowly step off the ledge now.

A healthy manu in the POs = a chance against ANY team. I'll take that right now.

Go Spurs.

timvp
02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
From what I can tell, recovery from similar injuries varies a lot. Some players come back in a few days, some are sidelined for a few months. Hopefully the 2-3 weeks is somewhat concrete.

Still want to hear from Manu and Pop . . .

tmtcsc
02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
At the time that thread was made, the Spurs doctors hadn't analyzed the results and that's why it was said that he MIGHT be out for the season. I repeatedly said in that thread that a) it wasn't exactly an ankle (it wasn't), b) that my hope was he'd be back in 3 weeks or so c) and that people should calm down because it wasn't for sure that he was out for the season. We knew about this for 24 hours before we posted the thread and didn't post it because we didn't want to cause panic. We didn't post it until the Yahoo article came out saying that other GMs were hearing it was a serious injury.

I stand corrected. Keep up the great work.

Kori Ellis
02-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Did you guys have any idea that it was a possible stress fracture or stress reaction ? I come here for my Spurs fix and don't plan on going anywhere else and I really appreciate the extra information but.....perhaps you said a little too much w/o having the freedom to expand on it.

Several people in the thread mentioned it could be a stress fracture. We said we didn't know if it was. I just said what I knew - that people said it wasn't exactly an ankle injury.

Spurs Brazil
02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, this is good news. At least he can be back this season.

I hope those 3 weeks will be enought

More than ever Pop need to put Bruce back in the starting 5. We'll not outscore anybody with Manu out. It's time to go back the old Spurs D to win games without Manu

timvp
02-19-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure of the medical procedure but perhaps the Spurs first thought it was a stress fracture and then further examination showed it to be a stress reaction? Unless Ludden writes an article about it we may never know . . .

But as far as I can tell, this is just about the best possible outcome considering the fears of the last 48 hours.

nkdlunch
Looks like the praying paid off. This could have easily been season ending as playoffs are only 8 weeks away

Spurs Brazil
Several people in the thread mentioned it could be a stress fracture. We said we didn't know if it was. I just said what I knew - that people said it wasn't exactly an ankle injury.

Kori, I'm not a doctor but if it was a stress fracture I think he'd be out of the season.

Maybe the doctors thought it was a stress fracture but after further testes knew that was a stress reaction

MoSpur
02-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Kori and Timvp's sources could still be right depending. If he is out six weeks, then that is pretty much the rest of the season

Kori Ellis
I stand corrected. Keep up the great work.

It's a hard decision to make about whether to post stuff or not. We often hear things about the Spurs from people in the organization before they happen. 75% of the time, we don't post about them because you never want to cause people to freak. At first when we heard that Manu might be out for the reason of the season, we didn't even think to post it because the person kept saying "likely". To me, that's not good enough to make the whole world freak out. :lol But when the other GMs were saying it to Yahoo, timvp figured you guys would want to have a clue about it.

Hopefully the 3 week time table is close to correct. 6-8 weeks isn't going to be good enough .. the season is over in 8 weeks.

kobyz
this injury is because Manu retorn from the first injury too early!

timvp
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Kori, I'm not a doctor but if it was a stress fracture I think he'd be out of the season.

Maybe the doctors thought it was a stress fracture but after further testes knew that was a stress reactionExactly. The latest round of testing probably brought the good news.

crc21209
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh Wow I hope that it is a stress reaction only, and Ludden reporting it makes me feel better, we should be fine without Manu for 2-3 weeks! Just hold the fort!

Spurs Brazil
02-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Ginobili out two or three weeks
By Joe Alexander on Feb 19, 2009 3:49 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark
The Spurs announced Manu Ginobili is expected to be out two to three weeks.

The announcement came in an e-mail on Thursday about 3:40 p.m. San Antonio time.

The team reported Ginobili has "a stress reaction of his distal right fibula."

Ginobili missed the Spurs' first 13 games of the season after having offseason surgery on his left ankle. He sat out Tuesday's road loss in New York with what was described at the time as a lore right ankle.

Ginobili is averaging 16.1 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.5 assists this season. He scored 30 or more points in three of his last six games.

This is Ginobili's seventh season as a Spur. He averaged 14.8 points and 3.6 assists for his career.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2009/02/ginobili-out-two-or-three-week.html

Spurs Brazil
02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Pop will talk to the media before the Pistons game. Let's see what he'll say

Jayem
Well, this is good news. At least he can be back this season. yeah so he can get injured again come playoffs. manus ankles are made of pudding, hes always gonna have problems...we should of got rid of him!

mouse
I don't know why everyone is so worried when a few weeks ago you all couldn't wait to trade Manu. It seems to depend if the Spurs win that night.

Spurs lose to Lakers, Manu has to go, he is a waste of a pay check. Spurs beat the NY? and your all trip over each other to be the first to toss his salad.

As far as Chris Duel goes he should check with Peter Burns to see if he was just trying to start a friendly riff between the two sports stations before he says on live radio that Peter is a piece of shit.

It's not like Duel has never said stuff to get a reaction before. I thought he had tougher skin. You don't see me get upset after he belittled me last week saying I was not worthy to call the show. If it wasn't for my homeboy Johnny Fingers on the show I would not listen.

Dex
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/manu_update_090219.html

Hadn't seen the NBA.com report posted yet.

mouse
I don't know why everyone is so worried when a few weeks ago you all couldn't wait to trade Manu. It seems to depend if the Spurs win that night.

Spurs lose to Lakers, Manu has to go, he is a waste of a pay check. Spurs beat NY? and your all trip over each other to be the first to toss his salad.

As far as Chris Duel goes he should check with Peter Burns to see if he was just trying to start a friendly riff between the two sports stations before he says on live radio that Peter is a piece of shit.

It's not like Duel has never said stuff to get a reaction before. I thought he had tougher skin. You don't see me get upset after he belittled me last week saying I was not worthy to call the show. If it wasn't for my homeboy Johnny Fingers on the show I would not listen.

ducks
02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure of the medical procedure but perhaps the Spurs first thought it was a stress fracture and then further examination showed it to be a stress reaction? Unless Ludden writes an article about it we may never know . . .

But as far as I can tell, this is just about the best possible outcome considering the fears of the last 48 hours.

ludden did it was posted earlier in the thread:nope:nope

ducks

Spurs lose to Lakers, Manu has to go, he is a waste of a pay check. Spurs beat the NY? and your all trip over each other to be the first to toss his salad.

It's not like Duel has never said stuff to get a reaction before. I thought he had tougher skin. You don't see me get upset after he belittled me last week saying I was not worthy to call the show. If it wasn't for my homeboy Johnny Fingers on the show I would not listen.you are are a waste of badwidth

Chomag
Well, this is good news. At least he can be back this season.

I hope those 3 weeks will be enought

More than ever Pop need to put Bruce back in the starting 5. We'll not outscore anybody with Manu out. It's time to go back the old Spurs D to win games without Manu

Yep, this will now be a great time to get Bowen and Hairston some good playing time, but Finley GOD NO!!! I would rather beat my head against a brick wall and have an aneurysm then watching 30+ minutes a game of Finley

bdictjames
02-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Should be more PT for George Hill.

Manu, get better. Hopefully the spurs stay afloat.

timvp
02-19-2009, 05:33 PM
ludden did it was posted earlier in the thread:nope:nopeAn article. With insight.

ss1986v2
02-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Should be more PT for George Hill.

nope, just more finley...

mouse
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM
you are are a waste of badwidth

And you quoting me saves bandwidth?
Say what you want about me at least i don't sneak off to post @ SR like you do. Now I know how Dusty and MomBear get their updates

mouse
02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.lifeinfozone.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/rosary-beads.jpg

Aren't you an Atheist?

Allanon
02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
2-3 weeks for Manu is kind of bad right now, the upcoming stretch isn't too friendly (especially next week)

Thu 19 @ Detroit
Sat 21 @ Washington (end of RRT)
Tue 24 vs Dallas
Wed 25 vs Portland B2B
Fri 27 vs Cleveland
Sun 01 @ Portland
Mon 02 @ LA Clippers B2B
Wed 04 @ Dallas (end of Week 2)
Fri 06 vs Washington
Sun 08 vs Phoenix
Tue 10 vs Charlotte
Thu 12 vs LA Lakers (end of Week 3)

Alex Jones
02-19-2009, 05:40 PM

Chris is lost like the black boxes on 9/11

Dex
02-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Aren't you an Atheist?

Making Cat's Cradles helps him relieve stress.

Bruno
02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Great news. :tu

Let's hope he will fully recover for the playoffs.

Mugen
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
2-3 weeks for Manu is kind of bad right now, the upcoming stretch isn't too friendly (especially next week)

Thu 19 @ Detroit
Tue 24 vs Dallas
Wed 25 vs Portland B2B
Fri 27 vs Cleveland
Sun 01 @ Portland
Mon 02 @ LA Clippers B2B
Fri 06 vs Washington
Sun 08 vs Phoenix
Tue 10 vs Charlotte

I don't think seeding is that big of a deal to san antonio. outside of the lakers, we match up well with pretty much every other playoff team.

barring a huge slide to the 8th seed, i don't really care where we end up as long as we are healthy.

crc21209
02-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Thu 19 @ Detroit
Tue 24 vs Dallas
Wed 25 vs Portland B2B
Fri 27 vs Cleveland
Sun 01 @ Portland
Mon 02 @ LA Clippers B2B
Fri 06 vs Washington
Sun 08 vs Phoenix
Tue 10 vs Charlotte

Spurs can take Detroit, Washington, Dallas, Portland, Clippers, and Charlotte in those games sooo....

Thu 19 @ Detroit W
Sat 21 @ Washington (end of RRT) W
Tue 24 vs Dallas W
Wed 25 vs Portland B2B W
Fri 27 vs Cleveland L
Sun 01 @ Portland L
Mon 02 @ LA Clippers B2B W
Wed 04 @ Dallas (end of Week 2) W
Fri 06 vs Washington W
Sun 08 vs Phoenix W
Tue 10 vs Charlotte W
Thu 12 vs LA Lakers (end of Week 3) <<<Manu will be back here, or before then, he always seems to come back earlier than planned or expected.

nkdlunch
02-19-2009, 05:48 PM
yup. Playoff seeding for Spurs is officially out the window. Main goal is to come into the playoffs healthy

Allanon
02-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Spurs can take Detroit, Washington, Dallas, Portland, Clippers, and Charlotte in those games sooo....

I think these two games against Detroit and Washington will be harder than expected...kind of like the Toronto/New York games.

Thu 19 @ Detroit W
Sat 21 @ Washington (end of RRT) W
Tue 24 vs Dallas W
Wed 25 vs Portland B2B W
Fri 27 vs Cleveland L
Sun 01 @ Portland L
Mon 02 @ LA Clippers B2B W
Wed 04 @ Dallas (end of Week 2) W
Fri 06 vs Washington W
Sun 08 vs Phoenix W
Tue 10 vs Charlotte W
Thu 12 vs LA Lakers (end of Week 3) <<<Manu will be back here, or before then, he always seems to come back earlier than planned or expected.

Going 10-2 in that stretch would be damn good. And if Manu's back in 3 weeks, no way he misses the Laker game.

crc21209
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
I think these two games against Detroit and Washington will be harder than expected...kind of like the Toronto/New York games.

Going 10-2 in that stretch would be damn good. And if Manu's back in 3 weeks, no way he misses the Laker game.

I can see the Spurs going 10-2 in that stretch, but most likely it will be 8-4 or something, which is still good.

benefactor
02-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Good to hear. We will only need him when the real season starts in April.

Allanon
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't think seeding is that big of a deal to san antonio. outside of the lakers, we match up well with pretty much every other playoff team.

barring a huge slide to the 8th seed, i don't really care where we end up as long as we are healthy.

There are 2 teams in the West that I'd hate to not have HCA against... Blazers and Suns. Very streaky teams with loads of talent. The Rose Garden is quite hard to win in.

crc21209
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
If the Spurs go 10-2, they will be 45-19. If they go 8-4, they will be 43-21. Not bad seeing as most of the teams in the 4-8 positions have about 19-23 losses right now already.

Agloco
02-19-2009, 05:55 PM
i can slowly step off the ledge now.

A healthy manu in the POs = a chance against ANY team. I'll take that right now.

Go Spurs.

Off of? Or back from?

Fpoonsie
02-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Last week he turned his back on Mouse and bashed him for having many screen names, then he wouldn't let him on the caller hall of fame list even though mouse called on day one and is a legend. I think Chris is losing it.

He is not half the man I thought he was.

God, mouse, you're fucking annoying. I'd love to put you on ignore for each time you get butt-hurt over a lack of illegitimate notoriety, but it seems pointless because the task of blocking EACH one of your asinine screen names seems endless. [sigh]

spurschick
This has got to be rough on him emotionally as well. Hang in there dude.

Mugen
There are 2 teams in the West that I'd hate to not have HCA against... Blazers and Suns. Very streaky teams with loads of talent. The Rose Garden is quite hard to win in.

Suns had the HC advantage in 2005 and 2007. If it were up to me, I would want the spurs to play every playoff game in Phoenix.

I don't think anybody on the Blazers has any type of significant playoff experience at all.

the only team that i wouldnt want to play in the first round is Dallas. even then i dont think it would be that big of a problem

Mugen
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Off of? Or back from?

I'll let you know in June.

Chris Duel
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Peter,

Now that you're on-air, maybe you should learn a thing or two about accuracy before you LIE about our show or our radio station.

Our station NEVER said what you posted. We did cite L.J. and Kori's posts because, unlike you, we respect them.

Regarding your Sheed lie, nothing remotely close to that was said by any of us or any of our callers.

Thanks for listening to our station, but get the wax out of your ears and grow the hell up.

Chris

Old School 44
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Not that I wanted Manu to miss more time, but it could be a good thing from an experience stand point for Mason & Hill who will undoubtly get more PT. Maybe Hill can regain the aggression he had earlier in the season, when both Manu and TP were out.

ElNono
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Spurs avoided a potentially career-ending stress fracture on Manu.
:tu to the medical staff that was able to detect this early. This is actually something you can treat, and the team just needs to hold down the fort until he comes back.
If anything, he definitely will be rested come playoff time.

ElNono
02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Not that I wanted Manu to miss more time, but it could be a good thing from an experience stand point for Mason & Hill who will undoubtly get more PT. Maybe Hill can regain the aggression he had earlier in the season, when both Manu and TP were out.

You got it all wrong... this means more playing time for Finley :bang

Muser
02-19-2009, 06:06 PM

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

temujin
02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
1) I am relieved. The whole thing -no explanation, press conference, press release, out for the season- sounded, it looked really bad.
Essentially, no serious illness.

2) It is a good thing that no ligament is involved.

3) However, I don't have the foggiest idea of what a stress reaction is. And I should know. It could be an inflammatory reaction; since there was no apparent traumatic cause for it, most likely this is caused by a compensatory posture, which is common on the ankle/knee/hip opposite to the one that received surgery. Expecially for a lefthanded, the right ankle is more solicited.
In this case, 10 days of rest and then rehab and conditioning.
One month on the safe side.

It could also be stress fracture, not necessarily a major one, and in this case it would take longer, but Manu could still be back for the playoffs.

Robinho
02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
noooo :P

Agloco
02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
1) I am relieved. The whole thing -no explanation, press conference, press release, out for the season- sounded, it looked really bad.
Essentially, no serious illness.

2) It is a good thing that no ligament is involved.

3) However, I don't have the foggiest idea of what a stress reaction is. And I should know. It could be an inflammatory reaction; since there was no apparent traumatic cause for it, most likely this is caused by a compensatory posture, which is common on the ankle/knee/hip opposite to the one that received surgery. Expecially for a lefthanded, the right ankle is more solicited.
In this case, 10 days of rest and then rehab and conditioning.
One month on the safe side.

It could also be stress fracture, not necessarily a major one, and in this case it would take longer, but Manu could still be back for the playoffs.

They're distinctly different. A response is what happens before a fracture.

Josepatches_
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't mind if we play against The Lakers in the first round.If we want to win the NBA we will have to play against them anyway.Even If I have to choose I would like to be the 8th.Last year we were tired in the WCF so it could be more easy if we face them in the first or second round.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
They're distinctly different. A response is what happens before a fracture.

I don't know too much about it but is there more bone being laid down in response to the stress? It's a type of inflammatory response right?

ElNono
02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't know too much about it but is there more bone being laid down in response to the stress? It's a type of inflammatory response right?

My understanding is that it's an overload of the muscles that hold that bone in place. If they're too overworked they don't hold the bone appropriately, eventually causing a fracture. That's why the treatment involves resting the muscles without putting any weight on it, so they can gain strength, and hold the bone in place. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
My understanding is that it's an overload of the muscles that hold that bone in place. If they're too overworked they don't hold the bone appropriately, eventually causing a fracture. That's why the treatment involves resting the muscles without putting any weight on it, so they can gain strength, and hold the bone in place. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

Ah I see. So this might have been caused by Manu favoring his left ankle by placing more constant pressures on his right ankle?

purist
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Peter,

grow the hell up.

Chris

Hello pot, this is kettle the T.O. lover.

pickle girl
02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Peter,

Now that you're on-air, maybe you should learn a thing or two about accuracy before you LIE about our show or our radio station.

Our station NEVER said what you posted. We did cite L.J. and Kori's posts because, unlike you, we respect them.

Regarding your Sheed lie, nothing remotely close to that was said by any of us or any of our callers.

Thanks for listening to our station, but get the wax out of your ears and grow the hell up.

Chris

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ART/ART182/hook-line-sinker_~OBJ018.jpg

temujin
02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Ah I see. So this might have been caused by Manu favoring his left ankle by placing more constant pressures on his right ankle?

Correct.

Walter Day
02-19-2009, 06:24 PM
God, mouse, you're fucking annoying. I'd love to put you on ignore for each time you get butt-hurt over a lack of illegitimate notoriety, but it seems pointless because the task of blocking EACH one of your asinine screen names seems endless. [sigh]

Do be hating on mouse, you will get your 15 minutes also hang in there! :tu

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Radiology on the interwebs! :tu

ElNono
02-19-2009, 06:25 PM

Maybe. It could also just be that he needed a slower pace coming back from not playing for a while. Or he just need some strengthening exercises on those ankles (obviously after he's healed). You don't really do anything special about this kind of stuff until is detected. So now you set up a program to do recovery and rehabilitation. After that, you can set up another program to minimize the possibility of reoccurrence.

temujin
02-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Over a long period of time, yes.
However, disconfort kicks in way before this happens.
Hence the stop.

If you ignore this, or worse, you treat it with anti-inflammatory drugs AND play on it, then you are running into a microfracture. Which then takes longer to heal.

mouse
02-19-2009, 06:27 PM

http://www.mywedding.com/blogs/mywed/images/160/crying%20baby%20resized.jpg

Dude take your balls out of your wife's purse already and learn to take some smack now and then, your soccer mom act is not helping your ST street creds at all.

Laker Lanny
02-19-2009, 06:33 PM

How do you know what mouse posted if you have him blocked?

manu32
02-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Thank the lord!

Stacie
02-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Peter,

Chris

How dare you talk bad about the best sports caster San Antonio has ever had? You couldn't hold Peter Burn's jock strap! :flipoff:

spursfan09
02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
God being at work sucked!!!! I wanted to post so bad, but couldn't. I was just standing back and watching. I am glad to know he might be able to play this season. I am just glad this only affects his basketball life; not his personal life.

O and I guess it's safe to say the Spurs were not dejected against the Knicks the other night; they just sucked?

Agloco
02-19-2009, 06:47 PM

Without getting too technical......no. An inflammatory response would involve cytokine activation of the immune system, which doesn't happen in this case. It does involve the bone matrix breaking down and reforming with a greater tendency in areas of higher stress. This is a normal response.

On Manus bone scan, the region would have appeared brighter than others. And since it was a Nuclear scan, it's termed a "hot spot".

Spur|n|Austin
02-19-2009, 06:50 PM
What's crazy to me is that he dropped 32 the night before all this ankle stuff came about, publicly at least.

ElNono
02-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Without getting too technical......no. An inflammatory response would involve cytokine activation of the immune system, which doesn't happen in this case. It does involve the bone matrix breaking down and reforming with a greater tendency in areas of higher stress. This is a normal response.

On Manus bone scan, the region would have appeared brighter than others. And since it was a Nuclear scan, it's termed a "hot spot".

I'm glad we actually have somebody that knows about this stuff so I can STFU and stop talking out of my ass... :lol

Russ
02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
The act that it's a vertical, non-weight-bearing bone and not in the foot sounds encouraging to me. (In fact, I wonder how many organizations would have even caught an injury this early, much less sat the player down to be safe.)

GSH
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm not exactly overjoyed about the news. First of all, "distal" fibula means the end of the bone, i.e. right at the ankle joint. A stress reaction is a disruption of bone function, due to overload and/or insufficient rest. The difference between a stress reaction and a stress fracture is mostly a matter of degree.

But there is another condition (can't remember the name) that can occur that is more of a chronic, or degenerative problem with the bone. I was worried about it at the end of last season, because of a couple of things I heard. It's not exactly the same thing that happened to Bo Jackson, but has some similarities. And, yes, it could be career ending.

Maybe he needs to take Boniva.

SpursGirl21
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I can STFU and stop talking out of my ass... :lol

If everyone did that this site would only have 3 posters. :lol

Kpowr4ever
02-19-2009, 07:10 PM
i had a similar injury in high school because i had some arch and big toe problem that caused me to compensate a little bit everytime i took a step. I was a long distance runner, anyways, you feel an EXTREMELY sharp pain everytime you push off, or in Manu's case, push off and make a cut to change direction. I just had to run straight, but the game of basketball is all about cutting and changing directions. The pain kind of "numbs" up after you get a little warmed up, at least in my case so I'm guessing that's how Manu played through it, but any kind of push off or extra stress on that leg would send that pain up my entire shin. I ran with it for about 2 weeks with it till it started to hurt way too much, sat out 2 weeks, then came back with a "compression sleeve" of some sort and never had a problem with it since, but then again, I haven't done anything too strenous on a daily basis, since high school. I have been physically active, playing pick-up ball daily in college my freshman year, jogging, playing tennis and such... i'm a couple of years out of college and it hasn't hurt since. I remember my trainer in high school telling me that if you rest and just LET THE INJURY HEAL PROPERLY, i wouldn't have to worry about it, and i guess i did one helluva job resting.

porksword
02-19-2009, 07:18 PM
So I am a bit confused, being from ND I am out of the loop on certain San Antonio things.
Am i supposed to be for Peter or Chris?

I do enjoy good radio smack though.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Ah gotcha. I hated immunology.

Old School 44
02-19-2009, 08:08 PM

I'm sure all the guards will get more time with Manu out, but I can see Hill finishing some games, getting some crunch time minutes.

Brazil
02-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Now it's gonna be a stress reaction for TP and TD... this is the best news compared to what could have been but the problem now is the big 2 will be washed up after the rrt

Brian Adams
02-19-2009, 08:48 PM
So I am a bit confused, being from ND I am out of the loop on certain San Antonio things.
Am i supposed to be for Peter or Chris?

I do enjoy good radio smack though.

Peter Burns supports ST Chris Duel only shows up to start shit! Go click on their names and see who posts more and each day. :tu

mabrignani
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I didn't know that dogs could pray!! :lol

mike vick is probably wishing they didnt

Fpoonsie
02-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Dude take your balls out of your wife's purse already and learn to take some smack now and then, your soccer mom act is not helping your ST street creds at all.

What the fuck are you talkin about? I don't care about "e-cred"; instead, merely explaining how obnoxious your attention-whore act was.

And Lanny, what's the fuckin point? As soon as I ignore ONE, the bastard makes 2 more just AS, if not MORE annoying aliases.

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Manu will be back in less than a week.

Tenacious D
02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Mouse and Peter should call in Friday tear that lame show a new ass! :tu

Stacie
02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
What the fuck are you talkin about? I don't care about "e-cred"; instead, merely explaining how obnoxious your attention-whore act was.

And Lanny, what's the fuckin point? As soon as I ignore ONE, the bastard makes 2 more just AS, if not MORE annoying aliases.

When did you become the whinny bitch of ST? Saved by the bell in on TBS why not go rub one out and let it go already? we got the hint! you hate mouse we got it already!!

mouse
02-19-2009, 09:23 PM

Dam! you have some serious issues brah! You still upset I took your high score away on Ms pac man in the arcade? Let it go dude your fighting a lost cause.

Don't make me pull out the smack bat on your tender ass. Go fuck with johnsmith or MiamiHeat they seem to be more in your league.

Agloco
02-19-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm glad we actually have somebody that knows about this stuff so I can STFU and stop talking out of my ass... :lol

Medicine I know, Spurs and basketball....I'll let you guys do the talking.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Manu will be back in less than a week.

Is this coming from the same source that said there was gonna be a press conference?

EricB
02-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Medicine I know, Spurs and basketball....I'll let you guys do the talking.

You know chicks too as evidenced by Paloma....

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Is this coming from the same source that said there was gonna be a press conference?

Press release, press conference......stuff like that is easy to mix up while on cell phones.

But yea i think this whole 'Manu serious injury" story is a hoax.

CharlieMac
02-19-2009, 11:02 PM
It was good to hear Chris give LJ credit on the air though.

EricB
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Press release, press conference......stuff like that is easy to mix up while on cell phones.

But yea i think this whole 'Manu serious injury" story is a hoax.

The same one you were saying "Is BAD news" You mean?

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
The same one you were saying "Is BAD news" You mean?

Yea. He said Don Harris told him it was "Bad News"

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Yea. He said Don Harris told him it was "Bad News"

:lol