PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: There went the trade deadline ... what now?

Spurs Brazil
02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
There went the trade deadline ... what now?
By Jeff McDonald on Feb 19, 2009 2:51 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark
The NBA trade deadline came and went about 45 minutes ago, and all we heard were crickets.

The Spurs were in discussions over the past few days for the likes of Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson and John Salmons. Carter and Jefferson are staying put. Salmons is now occupying Michael Jordan's old position in Chicago.

Without much in the way of expiring contracts -- and without a keen desire to trade Roger Mason Jr. or George Hill -- the Spurs weren't able to get a deal done, for anybody. The sagging economy certainly played a role. Like most other teams, the falling luxury tax threshold made the Spurs skittish about taking on excess salaries.

This, Spurs fans, is your team. Pray for the health of Manu Ginobili's right ankle (more on that tonight).

There are still ways to tweak the roster, post-deadline. Somewhere a veteran will seek and receive a buyout to become a free agent, a la Damon Stoudamire last season (keep an eye on Oklahoma City's Joe Smith).

Plus, there's always the D-League. The Spurs have always been willing to mine the minors, but they've seldom found a key rotation piece there.

Playing just up the road in Austin, Pops Mensah-Bonsu should be on the Spurs' radar. He's an athletic big man currently tearing up the D-League, and -- though lacking NBA expierence -- would fit the mold of what the Spurs want.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/02/there-went-the.html

Texas_Ranger
02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Now we hope that Rasho will be released!

mudyez
02-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Damon Stoudamire?

F§$% YOU!!!

crc21209
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM
So as far as big men that I've heard most likely being bought out are Joe Smith and Mikki Moore. Where are ppl getting this Rasho idea from? And from what I've read of Pops I say give him a try, bring him over.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
There's only one bigman in NBA history with a hyphenated last name to achieve stardom. With good reason.

crc21209
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Ok so Mikki Moore is gone, anyone up for Joe Smith? Boston cant get him too now can they?

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 05:39 PM
In the Ghanaian language Twi, Mensah-Bonsu's name means King (Nana) Father (Papa) Thursday Born (Yaw) Three (Mensah) Whale (Bonsu). In several interviews Mensah-Bonsu has suggested that his family earned its surname when an ancestor slew a whale.

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pops_Mensah-Bonsu)

So now our hopes hinge on Father Thursday Born Three Whale?

We're so screwed.

Duncan2177
02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Joe Smith?

crc21209
On a related note, one very, very interesting thing to watch for is a possible bidding war for Mikki Moore, who Marc Stein is reporting will be waived by the Kings to clear room for Will Solomon in the three-way deal that also sends Patrick O'Bryant from Boston to Toronto. Cleveland has a big chunk of its mid-level exception, and they'd be willing to throw a sizeable chunk of it at Joe Smith, if he is bought out by Oklahoma City. Whether or not they like Mikki Moore, well, I expect a reading on that from Brian Windhorst within the hour.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

nkdlunch
I don't understand Spur fans. We pickup a steal in Roger Mason Jr. We then proceed to pickup a steal drafting George Hill.

And now Spurs fans are pissed because we did not pickup Rasheed or VC for our trash players.

:lmao

Spur fans are one of a kind

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 05:42 PM
If Bynum is out of the playoffs. And Manu comes back healthy, I say we can still go all the way.

Insert Bowen and Oberto back in the starting lineup and our defense becomes A WHOLE lot better.

Also Hairston needs to take Finleys minutes. Hes proved hes more valuable.

Bruno
02-19-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm all for Spurs trying Pops.

And people shouldn't forget Oberto. He is a good vet who was the starting center on the NBA champions two years ago. It's far from sure that Joe Smith, Mikki Moore or Rasho are upgrades over him.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Malik Hairston is going to Carmelo-ize the NBA now.

OK, I need a drink. Or some catnip.

rascal
02-19-2009, 05:47 PM
If Bynum is out of the playoffs. And Manu comes back healthy, I say we can still go all the way.

Insert Bowen and Oberto back in the starting lineup and our defense becomes A WHOLE lot better.

Keep dreaming with all your ifs.

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Exactly.

LockBeard
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
WCF Exit.

Duncan2177
02-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Its called wishful thinking

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
What now? Spurs fans will turn George Hill and Roger Mason Jr. into Hall of Fame locks, while Malik Hairston and Pops Kunta-Kinte will be future All-Stars.

leemajors
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM

How about some Fancy Feast? Avoided taking on salary, it's time for some treats.

TDMVPDPOY
02-19-2009, 05:56 PM
thats why the spurs FO should start pouring their resources into developing POPS give him the 2 year spurs treatment. Instead of wasting time with ian. we could have pops playing games till end of the playoffs, and he probably be ready for next season to contribute....

The team this year looks like going nowhere, we be lucky to advance into the wcf and thats it......

MateoNeygro
02-19-2009, 07:20 PM

We're so screwed.

haha that was fuckin funny. thanks for brightening my day.

Yogurt210
02-19-2009, 07:25 PM
IAN to the rescue.
Like I said all along.
No need for a big. we already have em. and KT is def. improving.

gospursgojas
02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
IAN to the rescue.
Like I said all along.
No need for a big. we already have em. and KT is def. improving.

:lol:rollin:lol

porksword
02-19-2009, 07:37 PM

So Malik is gonna wildly throw punches at the opposition while running backwards like a scared pussy?

EricB
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
:lol:rollin:lol

Roll with what you have.

Does no good to bitch about it now.

Support whos there.

Doug Collins
02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
What now? Spurs fans will turn George Hill and Roger Mason Jr. into Hall of Fame locks, while Malik Hairston and Pops Kunta-Kinte will be future All-Stars.

Well done.

Bartleby
02-19-2009, 07:47 PM

We're so screwed.

Hey, somebody has to keep Samaki Walker's legacy going.

baseline bum
02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
I was hoping they'd S&T Rob to someone looking for cap relief. I'm surprised the Spurs didn't find a market for a one-year deal.

raspsa
02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
There's only one bigman in NBA history with a hyphenated last name to achieve stardom. With good reason.

Didier Ilunga-Mbenga?

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 10:11 PM
I was hoping they'd S&T Rob to someone looking for cap relief. I'm surprised the Spurs didn't find a market for a one-year deal.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04tra3w3mPbyW/610x.jpg

SenorSpur
02-19-2009, 10:44 PM
thats why the spurs FO should start pouring their resources into developing POPS give him the 2 year spurs treatment. Instead of wasting time with ian. we could have pops playing games till end of the playoffs, and he probably be ready for next season to contribute....

The team this year looks like going nowhere, we be lucky to advance into the wcf and thats it......

I agree with investment in Pops. I don't agree that Ian is a waste. Fact is, he's still an unknown commodity. I'd like to see both of those guys get looks next year. Ian certainly will because he's under contract.

EricB
02-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Get rid of Holt and bring in Cuban.

That'll make everything perfect.

K-State Spur
02-19-2009, 11:26 PM

of course the team can go all the way. in 4 championship runs, the team has been the favorites heading into the playoffs a grand total of once ('99, and that's more because they were the hot team as opposed to a lot of people believing that they were the best team).

as constituted, they need to pick up a few breaks and clearly have a smaller margin for error than some clubs, but they can still win this thing if they do things right and the right times.

now, hopefully they can get something positive out of the "waiver" period.

Yorae
02-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Bring in the POPS!!!! Bring in the PPPPPPPPOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!