PDA

View Full Version : Manu --- the situation

manu32
02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Long time, first time. Signed up eons ago. Never commented. Til now :)

The Manu situation as told to me from a first hand persective. Manu has a sore ankle. Feels wobbly on the ankle but limited inflammation so he continues to play. Midseason break arrives and he takes off three full days. Works outs commence. Ankle still sore and wobbly.

Docs notice ankle is tender to touch so xrays taken. Negative. MRI. Negative. CT scan. Damage to osteoblasts a few inches above the ankle. Multiple hairline fractures possible on fibula. Recovery six weeks to two months.

Three phase bone scan ordered. Diagnoses downgraded. Stress reaction requiring seven to fifteen days of air cast. During this stage electrotherapy in addition to pool based calf and foot exercises. Following stage consists of five to seven days of regular activity. If bone scan shows improvement, clearance will be given. To clear up a few matters. Manu never faced the peril of being out for the season. Worst case scenario had him returning during first set of the playoffs. If all goes well he could be rehabilitating only 12 to 13 days. Worst case about one month. Be aware that he will have to undergo testing throughout to chart the health of the fibula. If situation worsens he would have to repeat the phases. Likelihood of reoccurrence is 20 to 30 percent. Thank you and god bless.

InK
02-19-2009, 07:21 PM
First hand= from Manu himself?

hater
"hand of God"?

gospursgojas
Wow straight from Manu himself

Matches Malone
02-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Thank you Manu32 for you info and thanks God for not being worse.

hater
02-19-2009, 07:24 PM
I would like to thank Argentina for their prayers as well. I know of a few Argentines who prayed at the foot of their Maradona Altars

Kori Ellis
02-19-2009, 07:26 PM

The Manu situation as told to me from a first hand persective. Manu has a sore ankle. Feels wobbly on the ankle but limited inflammation so he continues to play. Midseason break arrives and he takes off three full days. Works outs commence. Ankle still sore and wobbly.

Docs notice ankle is tender to touch so xrays taken. Negative. MRI. Negative. CT scan. Damage to osteoblasts a few inches above the ankle. Multiple hairline fractures possible on fibula. Recovery six weeks to two months.
Three phase bone scan ordered. Diagnoses downgraded. Stress reaction requiring seven to fifteen days of air cast. During this stage electrotherapy in addition to pool based calf and foot exercises. Following stage consists of five to seven days of regular activity. If bone scan shows improvement, clearance will be given. To clear up a few matters. Manu never faced the peril of being out for the season. Worst case scenario had him returning during first set of the playoffs. If all goes well he could be rehabilitating only 12 to 13 days. Worst case about one month. Be aware that he will have to undergo testing throughout to chart the health of the fibula. If situation worsens he would have to repeat the phases. Likelihood of reoccurrence is 20 to 30 percent. Thank you and god bless.

Thanks.

That part explains why some thought he might be out the rest of the year. Good thing he got the next round of tests :)

spursfan09
02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Well I feel way better and relieved. I was worried about him! Glad to know he will play this year again

lurker23
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Wow, great stuff manu32. :tu I understand if you can't name your source, but are you connected to someone on the Spurs training staff, or just a doctor who was in the right place?

timvp
02-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Considering the original fears, things seemed to have played out the best way possible. Do you know if this injury is being blamed on over-compensating?

Deimosfobos
02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
ty :)

Dex
02-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks manu32, and welcome to the board!

baseline bum
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Man, if I was a believer I'd go in the back yard and sacrifice a goat in thanks for the team's good fortune.

EricB
02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Fuck it, do it anyways Base, whats it hurt.

sonic21
02-19-2009, 08:03 PM
thanks manu32 :tu

spurastic
02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the information! It helps!

tlongII
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
I wish I knew who manu32 is! While I'm sympathetic to the Spurs and their fans,...this is a GREAT opportunity for my Blazers! I can see us getting the #2 seed now BABY!

gwidlon
02-19-2009, 08:08 PM

Ginobili's brother just confirm this on tv.
he said that Manu is better now but that he had an awfull weekend thinking that he had some kind of fracture

timvp
02-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Ginobili's brother just confirm this on tv.
he said that Manu is better now but that he had an awfull weekend thinking that he had some kind of fracture
Thank the basketball gods that the injury wasn't as bad as first suspected.

m33p0
02-20-2009, 12:07 AM
rest up, manu. :tu

Man Mountain
02-20-2009, 12:34 AM
this thread should be stickied. great info

baseline bum
02-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up, manu32. Man, the Spurs really dodged a bullet here. No Manu = season over.

WalterBenitez
02-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Thank you for the info, rest Manu, there are many good shows on tv.

lefty
02-20-2009, 01:28 AM
"hand of God"?

Diego Maradonna

Argentina

Baseline
02-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Thank you for the info, rest Manu, there are many good shows on tv.

I highly recommend the best show on television, Mad Men.

Let's hope that's what the Spurs become down the stretch.

timvp
02-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up, manu32. Man, the Spurs really dodged a bullet here. No Manu = season over.Yeah, the Spurs could have done as much wheeling and dealing as they wanted at the trade deadline but with no Manu, the season would have basically been over.

Yorae
02-20-2009, 02:21 AM
He should take good care of his...uhm....fibula and his hmmm....osteoblasts. Anyway, goodluck and get well manu!!!

spurster
02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Has anyone here had a "stress reaction" before? I've had a stress fracture, but this is the first time that I've heard of a stress reaction.

LockBeard
02-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Sit him out until game 1 of the first round.

Evil Angel
02-20-2009, 10:40 AM
:toast Here's to Manu getting healthy!!!

YoMamaIsCallin
02-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Man, if I was a believer I'd go in the back yard and sacrifice a goat in thanks for the team's good fortune.

Fuck it, do it anyways Base, whats it hurt.

ummm.... the goat?

Brazil
02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Sit him out until game 1 of the first round.

Great idea he will take 10 games to be back in shape... he will be ok then for exibition games during the offseason.

GSH
02-20-2009, 11:05 AM

When a stress reaction reaches the point of being tender to touch, there are microfractures. If it's a few inches above the ankle, that's better news than if the ankle mortise were involved. That's what I was worried about. He came down kind of stif-legged on that right foot a few weeks ago, and he was obviously in pain afterwards. Compression trauma (i.e. getting the ankle "jammed") can make for a really messy recovery. If it's higher up, it's probably just from repeated pounding and compensating for the other ankle.

It's a matter of resting and giving the bone a chance to recover and re-build. The biggest problem is that athletes with this particular injury are often the kind that don't want to give up their normal activity for long enough to let the bone completely heal. When the pain goes away, they decide to start training or competing right away. (And it can be difficult to impossible to see anything on a scan.) The way they find out that the bone wasn't completely healed is when it starts hurting again.

The other big problem, for Manu at least, is that recovery should involve a gradual return to training levels because the bone needs to regulate its re-building process. In other words, jumping instantly into his normal minutes would be a bad thing, and make it much more likely to flare up again.

Bottom line, if Manu is back to his normal minutes before the end of March he will probably be playing with pain in the playoffs.

KenMcCoy
02-20-2009, 11:08 AM
I can only imagine how much Manu was beating himself up between the first and second rounds of testing. This guy is a true competitor and you can see it wear on him if he is not helping the team win.

It's a good thing that the ASB came when it did. If not, knowing Manu he probably would have kept playing (figuring it would get better) until his foot fell off.

Also, this definitely confirms why everyone looked totally out of it in the game against the Knicks. Pop had probably informed them about the first round of tests that indicated he could be out for the season.

nkdlunch
02-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I can only imagine how much Manu was beating himself up between the first and second rounds of testing. This guy is a true competitor and you can see it wear on him if he is not helping the team win.

yup. I remember in china olympics it is said Manu was crying like a child right before Bronze medal game because he could not play. Literally.

I am sure it was close to that this past weekend. Eventhough manu is a nonbeleiver he needs to thank God

GSH
02-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Has anyone here had a "stress reaction" before? I've had a stress fracture, but this is the first time that I've heard of a stress reaction.

Stress reaction turns into stress fracture. Basically, the bone is being stressed beyond its ability to recover. Usually it is caused from some change in activity (i.e. sudden increase in training, or type of training) or from some abnormality in the physical activity (i.e. bad technique, structural defect of the bones, or even poorly fitted shoes). One example would be a change in running tecnnique due to compensating for an injury.

The early stage is basically an inflammatory condition to the outside layer of the bone. When the bone can't recover quickly enough to compensate for the stress, micro-fractures begin to form. That is usually when it starts to become painful. Eventually the microfractures become so pronounced that a stress fracture occurs. But it is a continuum, and the difference between a severe stress reaction and a stress fracture is just a matter of degree.

The treatment is basically rest, and then a gradual return to previous training levels. But the underlying cause has to be addressed too. If the athlete is using some oddball training method (Like on the side of a hill. It happens.), they obviously need to modify their routine. Different shoes or orthotics are sometimes necessary. The "gradual" return to training levels is because the bone has to adjust its biochemical processes to accomodate more stress once again.

Hard-core, competitive athletes often don't want to give up their sport for long enough to completely heal. Doctors warn them, and they rush back, and the whole thing starts again. Did you ever know a runner with "shin splints"? Basically stress reaction. And I've known guys who complained about shin splints for years, because they wouldn't quit running long enough to heal.

WalterBenitez
02-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Diego Maradonna

Argentina

"Nose of God?":nerd

LockBeard
02-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Great idea he will take 10 games to be back in shape... he will be ok then for exibition games during the offseason.

Oh, his legs are broken? Or can he not scrimmage and workout outside of actual games?

He can simulate game running and stopping good enough if he has a trainer worth a damn.

WalterBenitez
02-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Stress reaction turns into stress fracture. Basically, the bone is being stressed beyond its ability to recover. Usually it is caused from some change in activity (i.e. sudden increase in training, or type of training) or from some abnormality in the physical activity (i.e. bad technique, structural defect of the bones, or even poorly fitted shoes). One example would be a change in running tecnnique due to compensating for an injury.

The early stage is basically an inflammatory condition to the outside layer of the bone. When the bone can't recover quickly enough to compensate for the stress, micro-fractures begin to form. That is usually when it starts to become painful. Eventually the microfractures become so pronounced that a stress fracture occurs. But it is a continuum, and the difference between a severe stress reaction and a stress fracture is just a matter of degree.

The treatment is basically rest, and then a gradual return to previous training levels. But the underlying cause has to be addressed too. If the athlete is using some oddball training method (Like on the side of a hill. It happens.), they obviously need to modify their routine. Different shoes or orthotics are sometimes necessary. The "gradual" return to training levels is because the bone has to adjust its biochemical processes to accomodate more stress once again.

Hard-core, competitive athletes often don't want to give up their sport for long enough to completely heal. Doctors warn them, and they rush back, and the whole thing starts again. Did you ever know a runner with "shin splints"? Basically stress reaction. And I've known guys who complained about shin splints for years, because they wouldn't quit running long enough to heal.

Hmmmm that words I bold aren't good news since Manu trend to play thru pain, I hope Pop could handle Manu.

So Narigon, :nope basketball for a while.

dmac
02-20-2009, 11:39 AM

Cabrito this weekend? I'm there!

GSH
02-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Hmmmm that words I bold aren't good news since Manu trend to play thru pain, I hope Pop could handle Manu.

So Narigon, :nope basketball for a while.

Bingo... we have a winner.

Did you read Pop's comment yesterday that he was surprised that Manu could perform that well, considering how much pain he's been in? Did that not bother anyone else as much as it did me?

And, Kori, that's what makes me wonder if Manu had been keeping Pop fully informed. I had heard something to that effect a couple of days before. Was Pop surprised during those games... or when he found out about the extent of the injury?

Flux451
02-20-2009, 12:04 PM
I just read on the daily dime Pop saying the new bone is laying down already and he said that's is the first sign of healing...two to three weeks he said.

janieannie
02-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Bingo... we have a winner.

Did you read Pop's comment yesterday that he was surprised that Manu could perform that well, considering how much pain he's been in? Did that not bother anyone else as much as it did me?

And, Kori, that's what makes me wonder if Manu had been keeping Pop fully informed. I had heard something to that effect a couple of days before. Was Pop surprised during those games... or when he found out about the extent of the injury?

Here's what Pop actually said:
Popovich added he was surprised -- "very much so" -- at the way Ginobili had been playing on his sore leg... "It's not a stress fracture, so it makes it very different," Popovich said. "If it was a stress fracture, he probably wouldn't be playing like he'd been playing."
He did not say he was surprised at Manu's performance "considering how much pain he had been in." He was referring to the fact that if it had been a stress fracture Manu would have been in too much pain to play as well as he had.

nkdlunch
02-20-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't think Manu had much pain.

FromWayDowntown
02-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah, the Spurs could have done as much wheeling and dealing as they wanted at the trade deadline but with no Manu, the season would have basically been over.

Seeing some of the big-picture w/Manu and w/o Manu numbers for this team convinced me of that.

Of course, some of the w/o Manu numbers are skewed by the fact that the team played a number of games without Parker as well and one without Parker AND Duncan.

Still, the point was clear.

temujin
02-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Makes perfect sense.

Classic compensation on the right ankle of a lefthanded.

Take no chance, rest him till mid March, play him up to 20' till the PO.

GSH
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Here's what Pop actually said:
Popovich added he was surprised -- "very much so" -- at the way Ginobili had been playing on his sore leg... "It's not a stress fracture, so it makes it very different," Popovich said. "If it was a stress fracture, he probably wouldn't be playing like he'd been playing."
He did not say he was surprised at Manu's performance "considering how much pain he had been in." He was referring to the fact that if it had been a stress fracture Manu would have been in too much pain to play as well as he had.

Nope.

Why would he be very surprised at the way Manu played if the leg wasn't pretty damned sore? Manu has put up those kinds of numbers before, so he can't be surprised by that part. So why do you think he found Manu's performance so remarkable?

To me it only says one thing - that Manu delivered some remarkable performances, considering the pain. But it implies that he didn't know at the time just how much pain there was. Because I don't think Pop would have put him on the court that long, if at all, if he had known. If there was no cause for concern, then there is no reason to be "very much" surprised about his performance.

The OP says that it was "tender to touch". He also said that the diagnosis was "downgraded". That means that the original diagnosis was... what? Yep. Stress fracture. I'm guessing that the doctor(s) were expecting it to be a stress fracture, based on the symptoms he presented with. Pop was saying that if it actually had been a fracture, he probably couldn't have played that well.

My point was just that some things you can't play through. And the best thing he can do for the team may be to rest and heal, rather than trying to rush back.

spurster
02-20-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks. That was different from my experience. One moment I was running (ok, jogging) without any pain. The next moment, it was sharp pain in the foot, showing up as a stress fracture in the x-ray. If I had micronanofractures, I wasn't getting any pain from them.

angel_luv
02-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the detailed updated Manu32. I appreciate it.

All the best to Manu, if ( when?) you speak to him. :)

porscha
02-20-2009, 01:37 PM
thanks GSH. I pasted some of your posts to manu's site.

hopefully he can sees it and behave himself this time.

GSH
02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Since I've already gone ridiculously long with this, I might as well mention one more thing. One of the risk factors for this injury is fatigue. The muscles act as shock absorbers for the skeleton. When they are weakened, more force is transferred to the bones. That, in turn, can cause stress reaction/fracture.

Could Manu's summer schedules have contributed to either one of these injuries. Without a doubt. Overtraining can be a direct cause of this kind of injury (esp. distance runners). And age is a factor as well. What is acceptable at 25 may be too much at 35. People who say there is no such thing as overtraining are full of crap.

Hell, since you're really bored... overtraining can result in a decrease in testosterone, which can be a contributor to osteopenia (bone loss). That is a risk factor for stress reaction/fracture as well.

Bottom line: the way Manu plays, he should probably be taking Summers off.

Spursfan092120
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the info..we really appreciate it. A lot of people in this forum were jumping off cliffs..lol...it's good to hear it's not near as bad. And to make it better, he's already been off it for a week, which helps. You made my day a lot better. I appreciate it.

Mavs<Spurs
02-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Thank you very much Manu32 for all of the information.

I really appreciate it.

Also, I want to thank GSH for the medical info too.

:flag:

raspsa
02-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Must be a macho argentinean thing.. first Oberto plays injured w/o telling Pop until he could no longer play and now manu's situation.

timvp
02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
thanks GSH. I pasted some of your posts to manu's site.

hopefully he can sees it and behave himself this time.Has Manu said anything yet? Any transcript from what his brother had to say?

Thanks.

quentin_compson
02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
I was really really scared yesterday. Well, looks like it was "Glück im Unglück", as we Germans say.
If Pop says Manu will be out 2 or 3 weeks, I guess that means it will be 3 weeks or more, which makes sense because you have to be careful with a guy who has had injuries on both of his ankles. Let's just hope Manu will be able to get in game shape before the Playoffs start, otherwise we don't stand a chance.

All the best to Manu! :toast

easjer
02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks all for the info. Good news indeed (as these things go).

taps
02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Just waking up in the morning gotta thank god

I don't know but today seems kinda odd

word
02-20-2009, 07:54 PM
'Diagnosis downgraded'

I just hope the doublespeak here doesn't translate to 'Spurs playoff and 09/10 season tickets go on sale here in a couple of weeks. He fine. Trust me. '

TMTTRIO
02-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Has Manu said anything yet? Any transcript from what his brother had to say?

Thanks.
Speaking of Manu responding he just did but he hasn't said much about it though:p:. Of course google doesn't make it any better. I think this will be his only post for a while.

http://manuginobili.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31730&start=100

Bueno! Muchas gracias por la clase de medicina a todos!

No se quienes son los autores originales de esos parrafos, pero me vinieron bien. La mayoria ya me lo habian dicho, otras cosas, no.

Como siempre, fuente inagotable de conocimientos este foro! http://manuginobili.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Saludos a todos y gracias como siempre por el apoyo.

gwidlon
02-20-2009, 08:03 PM
he found the post usefull. mostly he knew, but he learned some new things about his condition
he thanks the support and he seems on very good mood

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah, the Spurs could have done as much wheeling and dealing as they wanted at the trade deadline but with no Manu, the season would have basically been over.

Do you think the Spurs make a harder push and basically go all out for Carter, if news of Manu's ankle was worse. That could have salvaged the season somewhat, but they probably have to give up Mason + Hill + Fillers.

It leaves them without depth like last year.

Manufan909
02-20-2009, 08:15 PM
I wonder how much this affected the Camby trade. I wonder if Manu had been good, would it have gone through? I guess we'll never know.

quentin_compson
02-20-2009, 09:27 PM
I wonder how much this affected the Camby trade. I wonder if Manu had been good, would it have gone through? I guess we'll never know.

Well, if it is true that the Spurs offered Bowen/Oberto/Hill for Camby and the Clippers turned it down, then there would be no connection at all.

itzsoweezee
02-20-2009, 09:44 PM
i hope he takes his time coming back. no need to risk anything before the playoffs. spurs can still get a top 2 seed without him, but they've got no shot to get to the finals if he's not playing.

wildbill2u
02-20-2009, 10:52 PM
It's been rumored that some Spurs staff and players scan this forum, probably without posting lest they give away their identity. Manu32 has the ring of one of these insiders.

Welcome to you Manu32. If you decided to make some inside info known in a time of great uncertainty, we thank you. We love the Spurs from top to bottom although sometimes we cuss them for not being perfect. Comes with the territory of rabid fans.

Stop by and post more often. WE won't tell. Honest. :lmao

urunobili
02-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Has Manu said anything yet? Any transcript from what his brother had to say?

Thanks.

http://manuginobili.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=384674#384674

Manu:

No se quienes son los autores originales de esos parrafos, pero me vinieron bien. La mayoria ya me lo habian dicho, otras cosas, no.

Como siempre, fuente inagotable de conocimientos este foro! Wink

Nice! Thank you very much for the medicine class everyone!

I don;t know who the authors of those lines are, but they did good on me. The mayority i"ve heard b4, some other stuff no.

As always a never ending source of knowledge this forum is ;)

Hi to everyone and thanks for the support, as always.

timvp
02-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Do you think the Spurs make a harder push and basically go all out for Carter, if news of Manu's ankle was worse. That could have salvaged the season somewhat, but they probably have to give up Mason + Hill + Fillers.

It leaves them without depth like last year.Yeah if Manu's ankle ended up being season-ending, I could certainly envision the Spurs going all out for Carter, Jefferson and Salmons. With Ginobili expected to return, they weren't nearly as desperate.

adidas11
02-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Thank you for the information.

timvp
02-21-2009, 02:18 AM
I wonder how much this affected the Camby trade. I wonder if Manu had been good, would it have gone through? I guess we'll never know.If anything, the news getting better on Manu allowed them to drop the Carter discussions and look to get a big.

callo1
02-21-2009, 02:32 AM
I hope Manu gets well soon. I had some issues with stress fractures before, so I can relate.

The absolute Godsend for me was a very little known Indian herb which eliminated my problem when nothing else seemed to help.

I don't sell it, I have nothing to gain by saying this. I know alot of weekend athletes out there (especially leapers) get stress fractures.

Cissus Quadrangularis is what I took to end my problems with stress fractures.

Here is an article about this stuff since so few perople have ever heard of it before...I hope this helps someone.

http://cuttingedgemuscle.com/Forum/art_showarticle.php?id=15

timvp
02-21-2009, 06:33 AM
http://manuginobili.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=384674#384674

Manu:

Como siempre, fuente inagotable de conocimientos este foro! Wink

Nice! Thank you very much for the medicine class everyone!

I don;t know who the authors of those lines are, but they did good on me. The mayority i"ve heard b4, some other stuff no.

As always a never ending source of knowledge this forum is ;)

Hi to everyone and thanks for the support, as always.

Thanks for the translation :tu

Brutalis
02-21-2009, 06:43 AM
His ankle is very important for how he plays. That is what I think about. With a sore ankle myself, I have no idea how to get into a game because it rolls easily, so I stay quiet, take jumpers and am not real aggressive towards to the rim or on defense. And it seems like the more I see him taking jumpers the more I worried.

All I know is I am glad he will have a chance to be 100 percent again, and am curious to see what he does when he is back.

DaDakota
02-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Now is the time guys...TMAC for Manu....come on.....

;)

Get well Manu....

DD

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-21-2009, 09:39 AM
I wish I knew who manu32 is! While I'm sympathetic to the Spurs and their fans,...this is a GREAT opportunity for my Blazers! I can see us getting the #2 seed now BABY!

:lmao tlong, your team isn't catching the Spurs/Nuggets :toast Enjoy the 4th/5th seed

urunobili
02-21-2009, 09:49 AM
All I know is I am glad he will have a chance to be 100 percent again, and am curious to see what he does when he is back.

I think that this time Pop will have the team playing hard D and will not let Manu come back as easy as he did the last time.

I am all in that he will be WAY more explosive than what he was when he came back (again) this year post surgery.

I can't help but think that he'll be monster aggressive.