PDA

View Full Version : starting lineup idea..

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2009, 10:48 PM
C Oberto
PF Duncan
SF Bowen
SG Mason
PG Parker

here's my reasoning..

Oberto is a controversial pick..I don't know if I'm in favor of starting him or not, but I think it's worth a try..my reasoning is that Oberto couldn't have possibly fell off so quickly..he must have something in him left..inserting him in the starting lineup for a few games might give him some confidence and give him the spark he needs..

if Oberto doesn't work out, put in Thomas..

we still have our problems scoring, and we go through the droughts..it's part of the reason we can't extend our leads, and other teams always come back against us..for this reason, I'd have Bonner and Finley coming off the bench..they could be used for situational purposes, as offensive sparks..

we've seen how ridiculously hot Matt Bonner can get, and this could be used when we need offense..he shouldn't be relied on to play the amount of minutes he's been playing though..as hard as he's working, he's still a defensive liability..he doesn't have the physical gifts or instincts..he's late on rotations a lot of the time, and he doesn't understand how to take offensive fouls..he doesn't like getting in the mix physically..

Finley for Bonner obviously doesn't need explanation..

Thomas and Bowen clearly help our D a lot, and we need to start everything with our D..we aren't going anywhere without it..use Finley and Bonner as offensive sparks..

Spurs Brazil
02-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't know about Oberto but Bruce is a must

He was huge tonight

mexicanjunior
02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Bruce should be starting...Oberto is done.

xtremesteven33
02-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Oberto should be in the lineup.

Wolverine83
02-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I like the lineup, but I am hardly ever in line with what Pop actually does... when Manu comes back, right before playoffs start, my SL would be...

Kurt Thomas
Tim Duncan
Bruce Bowen
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

If Manu is coming off the bench for offense in the 2nd unit - I think Bonner/Mason combined would do that job.
And I'd like to see more of a Parker/Hill backcourt.

crc21209
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I agree that the starting lineup should be : TP, Mason, Bowen, TD, and either Bonner or choose between Thomas and Oberto for a more defensive lineup. But one thing is for sure, I think Bowen should be starting in place of Fin. The D is just easily 10x better with him in there.

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
As long as Bruce is getting minutes in the high 20s to 30s it doesn't matter whether he starts or not.

djohn14
02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
I think George Hill should play every minute of every game!

lefty
02-19-2009, 11:50 PM
JV
Finley
Maze
Oberto
KT

Yorae
02-20-2009, 04:54 AM
TP
Manu
Lebron
TD
DRob

holcs50
02-20-2009, 04:56 AM
like the lineup of parker,george,mason,td, bonner sometimes if the other team has a few smaller guys in. George is a beast on d. Otherwise prob bowen instead of bowen in the matchup is too tall for gh.

Dalamar_the_Dark
02-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Id rather go with Bonner cause he hustles his ass off and he spaces the floor better for TD to work. Oberto isnt a threat from the perimeter and his defense isnt as good as advertised. Bonner may not be your defensive lynchpin but cause of his range, he draws out a big on Spurs offense.

MI21
02-20-2009, 05:25 AM
I don't particularly care who starts the game, who finishes it is the most important.

That said, at no point should Bonner be in the game unless both Parker and Duncan are on the court and Bowen needs more minutes at the expense of Finley. Parker & Hill backcourt can work, even against bigger opponents.

TDMVPDPOY
02-20-2009, 05:58 AM
I think George Hill should play every minute of every game!

yeh that, he should be starting actually...

Chris
02-20-2009, 06:06 AM
So you're going to bench Bonner who's been a primary option on offense, and is needed now more than ever with Manu out, and put in Oberto who is good for maybe 15-20 minutes a game tops. Oberto's defense is about as good as Bonner's at this point in his career and cannot be relied on for any kind of offense. I'm in favor of starting Thomas against certain teams where the matchups are favorable but Bonner is our guy now and in the playoffs.

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 06:57 AM
JV
Finley
Maze
Oberto
KT

http://mountcope.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/bricks.jpg

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 07:01 AM
I dont think Oberto has shown anything to warrant starting. Remember he was there to start the season, and was pitiful. Its obvious hes a shell of his former self, and thats really saying something. At this point, I like Bonner there.

Bowen has to be starting playoff time. Its all good bringing him off the bench, but against the likes of Kobe, there wont be a damn thing Bowen will be able to do if Kobe has his rythim from torching Mason to start the game. Lately, in countless games Kobe has got off to hot starts against the Spurs - when normally he plays facilitator in the first quarter.

Bonner
Duncan
Bowen
Mase
Parker

urunobili
02-20-2009, 09:23 AM
TP
Hill
Bruce
Bonner
Duncan

Hemotivo
02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
http://mountcope.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/bricks.jpg

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Oberto hasn't warranted a start, but that's my point..he was good enough last year, he couldn't have lost it all so quickly..starting for a few games might help his confidence..

Bonner should play good minutes, but shouldn't start, and shouldn't play in clutch situations, unless we need a basket..we should use him as an offensive spark off the bench..

EricB
02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't see a need to change things right now honestly.

Bonner is playing so well theres no real justifable reason to bench him.

Benching him and bringing him off the bench will really just shatter his confidence and then your really screwed.

PDXSpursFan
02-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Kurt Thomas
Tim Duncan
Bruce Bowen
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

KT and Bowen on the starting lineup will maximize our D. And Ginobili will compensate for them on the offensive end.
Mason, Bonner & Hill will provide scoring/energy coming off the bench.

xtremesteven33
02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Benching him and bringing him off the bench will really just shatter his confidence and then your really screwed.

How do you shatter a NBA players confidence by bringing him off the bench as one of the main offensive weapons on this Spurs team?

Man it sure did shatter Manus confidence...:rolleyes

Old School 44
02-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Oberto's a better passer, but you lose your spacing, if Bonner's on the bench.
I like Bruce playing more, but I also like the idea of saving him for the playoffs to play some designated D. Maybe move Mason to the bench to fill Manu's role. Hairston is also someone I'd like to see get more minutes.

Slinkyman
02-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Tony
Mason
Bowen
TD
Rasho

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2009, 07:05 PM
I also like the idea of saving Bruce's body for the playoffs, but we're almost in March..it's time for him to start..saving his body is nice and all, but this team needs to develop some defensive chemistry, because that's our main defensive problem right now..

Old School 44
02-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Defensively Bruce knows what to do, he has been in the system long enough. He's also one of the best conditioned Spurs ever. After having only Mason and Manu chasing them around during the regular season, it will be interesting to see other teams top perimeter players get re-introduced to a fresh Bruce for 25+ minutes in the playoffs.

Ask Kobe who he'd rather have guarding him, Mason/Manu or "Edward Scissorhands".

jay014
02-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Kobe ripped Bowen in playoffs last year.