PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Had Close Call With Camby

duncan228
02-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Spurs had close call with Camby (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/02/spurs-had-close.html)
By Jeff McDonald

As you probably know by now, the Spurs did not make a move in advance of this afternoon's NBA trade deadline. It was not, however, for lack of trying.

At the center of the Spurs best wheeling-and-dealing effort: Marcus Camby.

At one point today, according to league sources, the Spurs had an offer on the table of Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and George Hill for Camby, the L.A. Clippers' shot-blocking center.

That deal came undone just before the deadline, and the Spurs walked away empty handed in their seemingly endless quest to add another big man.

mexicanjunior
02-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Wow...it's a shame that deal didn't get done, especially if Bowen would have been released and come back.

angelbelow
02-19-2009, 11:18 PM
oh well. it was a nice shot.

K-State Spur
02-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Wow...it's a shame that deal didn't get done, especially if Bowen would have been released and come back.

i'm sure that would have been the case.

a) for better or for worse, i doubt pop would send bruce to the clips after the work he has put in here.

b) bruce would be of absolutely no value to the clippers. his only real value right now as a role guy to a contender that is just one or two players away.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Fair enough deal. Had the Clips bought out Bruce and he found his way back to SA, even better.

EricB
02-19-2009, 11:21 PM
:pctoss

mother********************************

Thomas82
02-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I was sick to my stomach after reading this.

CharlieMac
02-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Love the deal, but George Hill? Tough call.

bigdog
02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't see why the Spurs would give up Hill in any deal. I know some people say that alot of us are overrating Hill, but we can't have Vaughn as a main backup PG. I would have liked Camby, but not at the expense of an improving rooike PG.

ducks
should have sweetened it with a pick

Holt's Cat
Well, there's always the summer to revisit that. I wonder what else the Clippers wanted. Probably picks and some $.

HarlemHeat37
I'd rather keep Hill and go after Wallace in the summer

ducks
02-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't see why the Spurs would give up Hill in any deal. I know some people say that alot of us are overrating Hill, but we can't have Vaughn as a main backup PG. I would have liked Camby, but not at the expense of an improving rooike PG.

to get a big you have to give
hill,mason are the only people worth anything

ducks
02-19-2009, 11:24 PM

if camby =title
would you rather wait tell next year

Spur-Addict
02-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Almost doesn't count.

Spursfan092120
02-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Most definitely. The dude already said he wants to play here...We can be patient.

Thomas82
02-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Almost doesn't count.

You got that right!!

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 11:26 PM

Gotta disagree. I love George Hill, but Hill's a 15 mpg backup PG and Camby would be a 30+ mpg starter who would make Tim Duncan's life so much easier. If Hill gets you Camby you pull the trigger 100 times out of 100.

ducks
02-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Most definitely. The dude already said he wants to play here...We can be patient.

when did wallace say this?

Thompson
Screw that, the Clippers suck, are going nowhere quick and we would have been doing them a favor to help them unload salary. I'm glad we didn't give them Hill (even if the trade didn't necessarily break down on our end).

Playing hardball might not help us this year, but it might help in the future for other GM's to know we're not going to get desperate and give them a sweet deal at the deadline. Get Wallace this summer for less and let the Clippers rot.

lefty
No way we're giving up on a top perimeter Defender and a great backup PG, for that injury-prone stick

You guys are never happy; last year, everybody was bitching about JV

Be thankful that we have Hill

mexicanjunior

A backup PG playing 10-14 mpg vs a starting center that would play 30+ mpg? I take the center in a heartbeep, he would immediately resolve what has been really hurting this team...interior defense and rebounding.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 11:28 PM
10 fucking boards and 2 blocks a night that's why the Spurs were ready to deal the boy wonder. This Hill love is eerily reminscient of Beno love circa 2004.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 11:29 PM
I wish this trade had gone down. Two low post defenders like Duncan and Camby would destroy the soft Lakers' front line. Remember, the Spurs won a title with Avery Johnson as their starting PG. They were able to win because of the wall they put up inside. Camby would've brought us a title IMO.

lefty
10 fucking boards and 2 blocks a night that's why the Spurs were ready to deal the boy wonder. This Hill love is eerily reminscient of Beno love circa 2004.

Sure, Beno can slash, dunk and play D :tu

EricB

Yeah cause Beno had that kind of athleticism and defensive ability that Hill showed tonight....

Man how quickly people turn on the rookie.

George.W.Bush
02-19-2009, 11:30 PM
I'll take a Big Mac please.

Spursfan092120
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
when did wallace say this?

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/2009/02/espn_rasheed_wallace_wants_to.html

ESPN: Rasheed Wallace wants to play for Spurs

Posted by Dave Dial (http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/about.html) February 06, 2009 13:35PM

Categories: Top Sports (http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/top_sports/)
Marc Stein has included in his "trade talk" article some confirmation that Rasheed Wallace isn't happy with Joe's choice to restructure the Detroit Pistons.

February 6, ESPN: (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=tradetalk-090205) San Antonio's desire to acquire one more big man (preferably a floor-stretching big man) to counter the Lakers and Boston is no secret. The surprise stems from the rumbles I've heard about Detroit free-agent-to-be Rasheed Wallace, he who is chief among the Pistons unsettled by the realization that big changes are undoubtedly coming in that locker room, having legit interest in joining the Spurs to team up with his 2005 NBA Finals nemesis Tim Duncan.

Don't see a real trade possibility here -- given that the Pistons are unlikely to take back anything other than expiring contracts for the expiring deals possessed by Wallace and Allen Iverson unless they have a chance to trade for someone like Stoudemire or Chris Bosh -- but it's something to file away for free agency. Another note for the future on Iverson: Detroit is far more unlikely than likely to find a workable trade home for Iverson after the Pistons' struggles since acquiring A.I. from Denver in the first week of the season, but I've heard multiple executives say there might be a better-than-expected market for the 33-year-old in free agency this summer as long as his demands are not exorbitant.
"There's never been a time where we're all touched by the economy at the same time," said one exec, suggesting that Iverson will appeal to a few teams just because of his ability to sell tickets.
Looking at the Spurs roster, I don't see a real trade possibility either. The Spurs aren't trading Duncan, Ginobili or Parker for Rasheed Wallace, and the rest of their roster doesn't offer a player that would entice Joe Dumars to forgo Rasheed's cap space use this coming summer.
What the real news in this piece is, is that it's confirming Rasheed's unhappiness in Detroit and the fact that Wallace is looking to leave the Pistons next season. Which is something Joe should keep in mind during the next couple weeks before the trade deadline.
Stay tuned.....

crc21209
02-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Hmmm I like Camby and all, but I gotta kinda agree with bigdog, I dunno if at the expense of Hill, no way in hell would I wanna go back to Vaughn at backup-point. Fuck the Clippers. lol.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Hmmm I like Camby and all, but I gotta kinda agree with bigdog, I dunno if at the expense of Hill, no way in hell would I wanna go back to Vaughn at backup-point. Fuck the Clippers. lol.

The defensive upgrade Camby would bring greatly outweighs the offensive liability Vaughn brings being backup PG.

Holt's Cat
This might just be a deal that gets done on draft night 2009. Camby's deal should be palatable for Peter as it ends next year and the Spurs can send even money out.

Spursfan092120

Yep...we can wait on the need to feed the Sheed.

:hat

coyotes_geek
Yeah cause Beno had that kind of athleticism and defensive ability that Hill showed tonight....

Man how quickly people turn on the rookie.

Recognizing that a starting C > backup PG isn't giving up on the rookie. It's not like anyone's trying to trade Hill for Chris Mihm.

ducks
cool
wallace would be awesome for mle

crc21209
02-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Yeah but Hill shut down AI when he was on him tonight, not bad for a rookie.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 11:35 PM
My mistake. 12 fucking boards a night.

ducks
02-19-2009, 11:36 PM
HILL has LONGER ARMS THEN TP

pawe
02-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Sheed's not coming here.
- Giving up Hill and 2 of our smartest players is not worth it just to get an often injured player like Camby.

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah but Hill shut down AI when he was on him tonight, not bad for a rookie.

Not bad at all. But you still gotta trade Hill if it gets you Camby.

Spursfan092120
02-19-2009, 11:37 PM
cool
wallace would be awesome for mle

damn right..and he just might do it. He wants to play with Timmy.

crc21209
02-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Well its not our fault we dont have Camby, we offered Hill, Bowen, and Oberto for him but the Clips still said no. So we cant blame our front office. We just gotta stick to our guns, our D will improve as long as Bruce gets more burn, and Hill continues what he's doing.

Spursfan092120
02-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Sheed's not coming here.
- Giving up Hill and 2 of our smartest players is not worth it just to get an often injured player like Camby.

Thanks for that, Miss Cleo. Why wouldn't Sheed come here as a free agent? If the dude wants to play here, and we obviously had trade talks to bring him here, and he's already said he doesn't like what Detroit is doing, why wouldn't he? Your comment makes no sense.

MannyIsGod
02-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I think this deal sucks balls compared to the possible VC deal. That being said, I easily do this one too.

Holt's Cat
Wallace for the MLE is definitely interesting. He'll likely have his pick of contenders and pretenders to join at that price. This summer is going to be somewhat interesting if current economic conditions continue to deteriorate (as expected). Teams did try to fire sale some of their talent at the deadline but seemed to shy away from going through with it. By the summer that will change.

G-Nob
coulda shoulda woulda

crc21209
I think the FO was hesitant to part with Mason and Hill because 1. How long have we been waiting for a decent backup energetic PG who could get TP some rest? Last time we had a decent backup was Speedy. Van Exel, Udrih, Vaughn- all fails. I think the FO recognized that. 2. Mason has the balls Jax had in 03'. 4 game winners in half a season is clutch. He just has that something about him.

SenorSpur
02-19-2009, 11:41 PM
I just knew the Spurs had some sort of CIA deal they were working on behind the scenes. Camby would've been an absolutely perfect fit. I would've had to think long and hard about giving up a talented backup PG like Hill. The Spurs haven't had a suitable backup PG in five years - since Speedy Claxton. This means they're not as easy to come by as most seem to think. In the meantime, they've made some horrific choices trying to find a successor.

Most of those who want to sacrifice Hill seem to forget how well he performed when TP was out injured. Personally, the team can't keep burning up 1st round picks and expect to have some solid bench depth.

Thompson
02-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Recognizing that a starting C > backup PG isn't giving up on the rookie. It's not like anyone's trying to trade Hill for Chris Mihm.

Yes, but you also have to consider that we might very well be able to get Rasheed Wallace in the offseason for less than we'd have to pay Camby, all without losing our promising rookie point guard. You never know, Hill might develop into a guy we could use at backup point and backup SG.

I wish we could have added Camby, but the Clippers should have dumped him to rid themselves of his salary. Otherwise, they're paying him in excess of $10 million a year while their team goes nowhere. I don't want to give them more than they deserve just because they're too dumb or greedy to understand their situation.

Agloco

Why are you assuming this?

Holt's Cat
I just knew the Spurs had some sort of CIA deal they were working on behind the scenes. Camby would've been an absolutely perfect fit. I would've had to think long and hard about giving up a talented backup PG like Hill. The Spurs haven't had a suitable backup PG in five years - since Speedy Claxton. This means they're not as easy to come by as most seem to think. In the meantime, they've made some horrific choices trying to find a successor.

Most of those who want to sacrifice Hill seem to forget how well he performed when TP was out injured. Personally, the team can't keep burning up 1st round picks and expect to have some solid bench depth.

Why the F are people so hung up over backup point? When I think about what cost the Spurs titles over the last 5 years that isn't near the top of the list.

ducks
hill was ok to trade
mason hard to with manu hurt

raspsa
02-19-2009, 11:43 PM
I think it would have been a great deal for the Spurs. Camby would instantly boost the rebounding and interior defense. Sure you give up Hill but with Mason and manu and vaugh backing up parker, Spurs can still manage. All moot now anyway.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 11:43 PM
I think this deal sucks balls compared to the possible VC deal. That being said, I easily do this one too.

Giving up one less piece (and a valuable one in Mason) for one of the better low post defenders/big men is a WORSE deal than giving up the same guys + one of our best shooter for a 32 year old swingman who has never reached the conference finals? Genius.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-19-2009, 11:44 PM
phew :smokin

ducks
02-19-2009, 11:45 PM

speedy was not that great of a point guard
he played well a couple games could not make jumpshots
never made a three

crc21209
I think the Spurs brass, R.C., Pop must think that this team can get it done and if we were one round away from the Finals with jackasses like Vaughn, Udoka, and Horry as backups last yr, then we sure as hell can make it there with Bonner, Mason, and Hill this time around.

K-State Spur

overvalued? maybe.

but the beno love in 2004 made sense if he had built upon a solid rookie season.

unfortunately, his proven inability to bring the ball up the court in the most crucial of moments and an overall regression in his game until he started playing meaningless games in Sacramento doomed his future here.

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Yes, but you also have to consider that we might very well be able to get Rasheed Wallace in the offseason for less than we'd have to pay Camby, all without losing our promising rookie point guard. You never know, Hill might develop into a guy we could use at backup point and backup SG.

I wish we could have added Camby, but the Clippers should have dumped him to rid themselves of his salary. Otherwise, they're paying him in excess of $10 million a year while their team goes nowhere. I don't want to give them more than they deserve just because they're too dumb or greedy to understand their situation.

I think we also have to consider that our odds of getting past the lakers go up immensely with Camby as opposed to Hill. I'm not saying the Spurs could just walk down to the street corner and find someone to come in and do what Hill does, but when you consider what Camby would bring it's a no brainer. Defense, rebounding and most importantly of all, a reduced workload on Tim Duncan.

And no, the Clippers should not have just given Camby away. That would be stupid. They're not in luxury tax trouble, and Camby has value as an asset. No, they're not going anywhere, but they do need to try to become better.

Shastafarian
02-19-2009, 11:50 PM
I think we also have to consider that our odds of getting past the lakers go up immensely with Camby as opposed to Hill. I'm not saying the Spurs could just walk down to the street corner and find someone to come in and do what Hill does, but when you consider what Camby would bring it's a no brainer. Defense, rebounding and most importantly of all, a reduced workload on Tim Duncan.

And no, the Clippers should not have just given Camby away. That would be stupid. They're not in luxury tax trouble, and Camby has value as an asset. No, they're not going anywhere, but they do need to try to become better.

I'm wondering if they had dealt Davis, if they would have done the trade. Unless they think Eric Gordon can run the point.

SenorSpur
02-19-2009, 11:51 PM
speedy was not that great of a point guard
he played well a couple games could not make jumpshots
never made a three

You just emphasized my point. Speedy may not have been a world-beater, but he was STILL the best backup PG we had in 5 seasons. Right there, that tells you how weak the laundry list of choices the Spurs ran through town during that time. Then you'll know why it aint easy to part with a talented, athletic PG, who can play both ends of the court. Unless, of course, you're happy with 18 mins of Vaughn from here on out.

ducks
02-19-2009, 11:53 PM
I am more happy with another backup point
then oberta

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 11:54 PM
You just emphasized my point. Speedy may not have been a world-beater, but he was STILL the best backup PG we had in 5 seasons. Right there, that tells you how weak the laundry list of choices the Spurs ran through town during that time. Then you'll know why it aint easy to part with a talented, athletic PG, who can play both ends of the court. Unless, of course, you're happy with 18 mins of Vaughn from here on out.

I'm not happy being without 30 minutes of 10+ boards and 2 blocks lining up next to TD a night. The Spurs need that. A better backup point than Vaughn or whoever is nice to have. The Spurs haven't lost championships because of their backup point. Now because of lack of rebounding, interior defense, and shotblocking? You bet.

ducks
oh and if duncan gets help
late in the game duncan would be fresher to make more shots late in games

coyotes_geek
I'm wondering if they had dealt Davis, if they would have done the trade. Unless they think Eric Gordon can run the point.

Hard to say. Given Davis' injury history I think they could have used Hill had they traded Baron or not.

ducks
02-19-2009, 11:55 PM
mason helps keep manu fresher also

Thompson
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM

I see where you're coming from, and you're probably right about this year vs. the Lakers, assuming Manu comes back 100%. I think I'd rather put it off until next year though, when we could conceivably have a juggernaut with a cheaper Wallace along with a future piece (and sophomore backup point and sg) in Hill.

Also, the Clippers' owner is notoriously cheap, and was trying to give away Baron Davis and Kaman for Kidd to dump salary (according to a rumor, anyway). I don't see giving Camby's salary away as much different; you're paying big money to a player you know will never be with you to win anything. If they won't dump him for nothing this year, they'll think about it a little more about it after having nothing to show for paying him this year.

bigfan
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Cant believe we even considered giving up Hill. I really like Camby but no way would I trade Hill for him.

coyotes_geek
02-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm not happy being without 30 minutes of 10+ boards and 2 blocks lining up next to TD a night. The Spurs need that. A better backup point than Vaughn or whoever is nice to have. The Spurs haven't lost championships because of their backup point. Now because of lack of rebounding, interior defense, and shotblocking? You bet.

Agreed. And the Spurs would still have had ways to protect themselves against excessive Vaughn suckage. Mason and Manu can take some minutes there, plus there's the d-league route. It's a hell of a lot easier to go to the d-league and find a pg who can step in and give you 5-10 minutes a night than a C.

ducks
Cant believe we even considered giving up Hill. I really like Camby but no way would I trade Hill for him.

what about hill for dwight howard?

Holt's Cat

Huh? The Spurs are 18th in the league in opponents' FG%.

Holt's Cat
02-19-2009, 11:59 PM
what about hill for dwight howard?

Still too much, no doubt.

ducks
02-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Huh? The Spurs are 18th in the league in opponents' FG%.

yeah and it is all tp's fault
finely and booner play no d

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Still too much, no doubt.

Maybe a 3 team trade where we get Howard and Chris Paul. It would be tough, but I think I'd pull the trigger.

Austin_Toros
02-20-2009, 12:11 AM
i would have hated to see Hill be traded away if he then became a starter and averaged something like 15ppg next season.
but for Camby....

Holt's Cat
02-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Could I live with Hill scoring whatever a night for some scrub team while the Spurs add a piece that helps bring hope another championship or more? Um, yeah.

Russ
02-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Funny thing is, I always thought Camby was the most logical trade target. But you never heard anything about him in the rumor mill.

Glad to see the Spurs were at least trying to snag him.

The Spurs need to shift to Plan B quick now. Rasho or Joe Smith, there's got to be somebody they can get post-trade deadline.

Spur|n|Austin
02-20-2009, 12:55 AM
This trade was what we needed, damn shame.

timvp
02-20-2009, 12:59 AM
As much as I like Hill and as overrated as Camby is as a defender, that was a no-brainer for the Spurs to offer. Camby's rebounding alone makes it worth the trade. Plus add in his outside jumper, his blocked shots and his reasonable contract ... and that would have had other teams cringing.

But yeah, the Spurs are now like 0-for-234234 in trying to get the Clippers to make a trade in the Pop era.

timvp
02-20-2009, 01:01 AM
I wonder if Camby was their trade target all along. I'm guessing a more likely scenario is that they wanted Vince but when Ginobili's final round of testing came back with the good news they switched priorities to getting a big.

EricB
02-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Onto Rasho or Mikki Moore.

Both >>>>> Joe Smith or D League fodder

Holt's Cat
Could be. Maybe this summer the Donald and Elgin break. If I'm right, doing that deal this summer would shave $5 mil off the Clips' payroll next season (assuming they get rid of Bowen and Oberto and the non-guaranteed portion of their salaries). I guess they are thinking that they might be able to pull in a better deal with Camby's $10 mil per expiring next season. But other GMs are going to expect them to take back a really shitty deal.

mystargtr34
I dont see how anyone can say a 10 MPG backup PG is more important than a 35 MPG big man who rebounds and block shots. When the playoffs role around, TP will be up to 36-38 MPG, and Manu will get some time at the point, so Hill will probably find himself without much time. He has potential, and he was a steal at that stage of the draft, but he wont reach his full potential until Duncan is well out of the league.

The game plan has to be to win now, so this was a smart move, if it came off. Im not sure what else the Spurs could have offered, without mortgaging the future too much. I think Hill + another 1st is probably too much.

baseline bum
02-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Fuck, that would have been sweet, especially if they cut Bowen. :pctoss

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Fuck, that would have been sweet, especially if they cut Bowen. :pctoss

Everytime i see Bowen in a trade, i automatically assume hes getting cut and coming back. I dont see the value he holds to any team other than the top contenders, who are unlikely to do a deal with SA anyway.

At least i hope anyway, i dont see anyway hes not playing at least 25 MPG in the playoffs, the perimeter defense is just too poor atm.

InK
02-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Whatever, another close call like allways. Boring bullshit.

Ditty
02-20-2009, 01:20 AM
the spurs should of done this trade and tried to sign white chocalate(jason williams) to take replace hill but we sould of offere splitter and a second round draft pick

EricB
02-20-2009, 01:24 AM
the spurs should of done this trade and tried to sign white chocalate(jason williams) to take replace hill but we sould of offere splitter and a second round draft pick

Uh, they would have had it not fallen apart

:pctoss :bang

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 01:27 AM

I think im the only one on the entire board - but trading Splitter would be tough to swallow. He has nearly 0 value to other teams, but could be a star. Hopefully with a new CBA, and $10M in his back pocket from his current contract, he comes over in 2010 - and proves to be the steal of the draft like he is.

But if that were the deal breaker in a Camby trade, then sure - i just dont see any team viewing has an asset at this point.

Austin_Toros
02-20-2009, 01:28 AM
why did spurs try to get Camby and not Kaman???
couldn't Kaman have been a possibility???

Ditty
02-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Uh, they would have had it not fallen apart

:pctoss :bang

except they were playing grab ass with vince carter and negotiated this trade since weeks ago besides in my guess a last minute thing

remingtonbo2001
02-20-2009, 01:30 AM
I'm glad this trade didn't go through.

Honestly, if Manu can come back 100% in the next couple weeks, I think standing pat will look like a brilliant idea.

The one thing I like about the Spurs FO is they don't make hasty decisions.

kobyz
02-20-2009, 04:23 AM
too bad we didn't get Chris Wilcox, the price for him was cheap and we could have been offer about the same offer the Knicks made - expiring contract and cash.

baseline bum
02-20-2009, 04:29 AM

Jason Williams? I'd rather they brought back Charlie Ward then go get him to shoot 30 footers 5 seconds into the shot clock. :vomit:

JPB
02-20-2009, 04:49 AM
By Ludden on yahoo.com :

"The Spurs offered what the Clippers wanted for Camby, thought they had a deal then watched as Clippers owner Donald Sterling suddenly had a moment of clarity.

Wait … you mean we’re trading the GOOD center?

Instead of joining a contending team, Camby will continue to share a locker room with Ricky Davis."

02-20-2009, 04:50 AM
from Ludden's artiicle:

The San Antonio Spurs thought they had a deal all but done for Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby only to see it unravel at the deadline.
The Spurs offered what the Clippers wanted for Camby, thought they had a deal then watched as Clippers owner Donald Sterling suddenly had a moment of clarity.

Instead of joining a contending team, Camby will continue to share a locker room with Ricky Davis.
link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AifFL2DNir559bXawC0AlXW8vLYF?slug=jy-tradewinnerslosers022009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

trade for camby was much closer than i though. damn clippers, always screwing with my mind. first they finally assemble a respectable roster capable of making a playoff run only to implode. then they dangle camby in front of the spurs only to pull him back at the last minute.

holcs50
02-20-2009, 04:54 AM
damn wouldve been nice-we really should've just thrown in a 2nd round pick down the road just to sweeten it cuz it sounds like it was pretty close and that probably would've pushed em over the edge. oh well, not thinking about it anymore-its over! Now i just have to look at the bigs we have now and cry because of how old and lousy they are obviously not counting td.

baseline bum
02-20-2009, 05:19 AM
By Ludden on yahoo.com :

"The Spurs offered what the Clippers wanted for Camby, thought they had a deal then watched as Clippers owner Donald Sterling suddenly had a moment of clarity.

Instead of joining a contending team, Camby will continue to share a locker room with Ricky Davis."

:pctoss :bang :bang :bang :pctoss

I hated the thought of Manu for Camby that some nameless jackass whose handle rhymes withs hascal posted, but for Hill+Oberto? That would have been such a ridiculous steal.

Danny.Zhu
02-20-2009, 05:29 AM

Any source?

Ice009
02-20-2009, 05:48 AM
As much as I like Hill and as overrated as Camby is as a defender, that was a no-brainer for the Spurs to offer. Camby's rebounding alone makes it worth the trade. Plus add in his outside jumper, his blocked shots and his reasonable contract ... and that would have had other teams cringing.

But yeah, the Spurs are now like 0-for-234234 in trying to get the Clippers to make a trade in the Pop era.

Would Sterling be looking out for the Lakers at all? Do you think him nixing the deal had anything to do with us having a better chance of beating the Lakers with him or just personal dislike for the Spurs?

angelbelow
02-20-2009, 05:50 AM
damn the clippers should have done this. they are stacked at the front anyways. hill would have been a great pick up because they get a pg of the future. darn it =(

02-20-2009, 05:55 AM
hill has been sucking lately, especially in that denver game. he kind of bounced back the game against boston and detroit but he's still too passive sometimes. maybe if he played better before the all star break...:stirpot:

Bruno
02-20-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm not that upset that this deal don't went through.

Camby is a 35 years old injury prone player and is quite wild on the defensive end. He would have made Spurs better this year but giving Hill would have quite sucked. If Hill has the usual improvement between the rookie and sophomore year, he will a good player next year. On the other hand Camby would have been one year older...

MI21
02-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Camby is completely overated on defense. That said, on the Spurs I don't think that would be the case.

With a Camby/Duncan frontline, the Spurs can defend the post with Timmy, a fantastic man to man defender and have Camby roaming on the weakside, which he is incredible at. Switch the rolls, and Camby is still an alright man to man defender that has more size than anything the Spurs have outside of Duncan at the moment but it also allows Timmy to roam on the weakside, something he is fantastic at.

The closing lineups the Spurs could throw out on the court defensively would have been scary.

(Also, offensively, Camby can add second chance points, runs the floor well and can hit the baseline and top of key jumpshots)

Damn you Sterling! :madrun

mogrovejo
02-20-2009, 06:24 AM
Camby may very well be the most over-rated NBA player these days. The only reason the Spurs weren't overpaying was because they would get Bowen back and Hill isn't more than a semi-decent backup.

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Camby may very well be the most over-rated NBA player these days. The only reason the Spurs weren't overpaying was because they would get Bowen back and Hill isn't more than a semi-decent backup.

I agree, it was essentially a Hill for Camby. Oberto is worthless at this point, and i think it was safe to assume Bowen was being bought out and coming back.

But what can the Spurs do if the Clips reject, its out of their hands. Giving up another 1st round pick like they did for Thomas, would have been too much IMO. That would leave them with no first round picks in the next two drafts, last years first round pick traded, and the pick the year before that stuck in Europe. Plus the pick before that has ankle complications. And the current roster is already old. At some point you have to start to build through the draft, and bring in youth. Camby is 35, that athleticism has to start to deteriorate sometime.

Also, Hill might only be a semi decent back up now, but his value is obviously in his potential. Hes already shown he can score, rebound and defend at the NBA level.

Still, i would have been happy with the deal.

Emeyin
02-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Wow.. I would have hated to give up Hill but .. damn... Marcus Camby with Tim Duncan = Championship right now.

mogrovejo
02-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I agree, it was essentially a Hill for Camby. Oberto is worthless at this point, and i think it was safe to assume Bowen was being bought out and coming back.

But what can the Spurs do if the Clips reject, its out of their hands. Giving up another 1st round pick like they did for Thomas, would have been too much IMO. That would leave them with no first round picks in the next two drafts, last years first round pick traded, and the pick the year before that stuck in Europe. Plus the pick before that has ankle complications. And the current roster is already old. At some point you have to start to build through the draft, and bring in youth. Camby is 35, that athleticism has to start to deteriorate sometime.

Also, Hill might only be a semi decent back up now, but his value is obviously in his potential. Hes already shown he can score, rebound and defend at the NBA level.

Still, i would have been happy with the deal.

Yeah, a pick would have been too much. The problem I have with Camby at this point of his career is that he's an extremely selfish defender who's only top defensive skill is shot-blocking from the weakside. He can't defend the low post, he doesn't defend the pick'n'roll, he doesn't bother to leave the paint to guard perimeter oriented bigs, he doesn't play solid positional help defence... shot-blocking is a valuable asset, but not that much.

Offensively, he doesn't run the open court as he used to and he's become almost a liability on halfcourt sets because he doesn't go for cuts, he doesn't move; teams double off of him all the time because he just stays at the top of the key or at the short corner to take jumpers and it's easy to close out there. Camby was awesome in the Knicks and he'd still be very valuable as a backup big (his rebounding prowess alone makes him a solid piece to have), but I don't think he'd put the Spurs over the top or even make them favourites to come out off the West. Maybe because I value Kurt Thomas and what he brings to the floor more than most Spurs fans.

Personally I think Hill's potential is modest starter or solid combo guard off the bench for good teams, but we'll see.

Spurs Brazil
02-20-2009, 08:25 AM
That would be a very good trade, but I'm happy Bruce and Hill stay.

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-20-2009, 08:37 AM
How come the rights to Splitter or Ian Mahnimi was never even mentioned in any "possible" trade? Were the Spurs just not willing to give up these guys?

Mr. Body
02-20-2009, 08:38 AM
I have a feeling Donald Sterling got a call from David Stern ordering him not to make the trade.

The Hill-Love on this board is hilarious. Hill in a Camby deal? Awesome. Too bad it didn't happen.

I Love Me Some Me
02-20-2009, 08:43 AM
I can't believe there are people who would actually be oppossed to this trade. To think the Spurs were this close to landing Camby...

...I will now light myself on fire.

Gutter92
02-20-2009, 08:46 AM
A big man who leaves his man to try to get blocks, while his own man gets open shots? Sign me right up!:lol

Supergirl
02-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Personally I'm glad it didn't go through.

Camby is good, but injury prone. We'd be giving up our best PG since Tony Parker, and our only working back up PG, for a player who might not play even half of one season, given his track record for staying healthy.

Also, he's no better offensively than Oberto, and his only defensive edge over Oberto is that he's taller. Oberto works harder, esp in the playoffs. Bonner has a more reliable shot than either of them.

mountainballer
02-20-2009, 08:50 AM

yeah sure. Spurs are much better without him.
he is only the #2 in RPG, delivering the same per minute production like Dwight Howard. and 2# in BPG. and #15 in overall efficiency. and #8 in efficiency per minute.
so in each of this categories, there is someone better than him.
obviously the most overrated player in the NBA. or was it the MLB? things get a bit confused this days on this board. oh well.

I Love Me Some Me
02-20-2009, 08:53 AM
A big man who leaves his man to try to get blocks, while his own man gets open shots? Sign me right up!:lol

No....a shot-blocking weakside defender who protects the rim, rebounds, and can hit a 15 footer with regularity.

In other words, everything the Spurs wish they had at the 5.

SenorSpur
02-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Camby provides EXACTLY what the Spurs need at that position and haven't had since the days of D-Rob. This is the guy I was hoping the Spurs pursued via trade. I'm not surprised this was the undercover "CIA" move that was in play - despite all the Carter/Jefferson rumors.

I'm still not fond of sacrificing Hill in the deal for all the reasons mentioned earlier. However after second thought, I would've had to "bite the bullet". I do wish the deal would've gotten done. Frickin' Sterling.

As presently constructed, I just don't think the Spurs are equipped to take down the Fakers.

BWS-1994
02-20-2009, 09:07 AM
I have a feeling Donald Sterling got a call from David Stern ordering him not to make the trade.

The Hill-Love on this board is hilarious. Hill in a Camby deal? Awesome. Too bad it didn't happen.

Or maybe its the LA connection? :hat

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 09:12 AM

Camby is good, but injury prone. We'd be giving up our best PG since Tony Parker, and our only working back up PG, for a player who might not play even half of one season, given his track record for staying healthy.

Also, he's no better offensively than Oberto, and his only defensive edge over Oberto is that he's taller. Oberto works harder, esp in the playoffs. Bonner has a more reliable shot than either of them.

Come on. Camby's putting up 12ppg this year. How can you say he's no better offensively than Oberto? Camby's a solid defender, one of the best rebounders in the game, is decent offensively and would make Tim Duncan's job so much easier. How anyone can not want a guy like that on this team is beyond me.

DBMethos
02-20-2009, 09:15 AM
This thread is depressing. I love Georgie, but trading him for Camby would've been a ridiculous steal.

ATXSPUR
02-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I sense the Spurs organization going in the direction of the Dallas Cowboys. 10 years from now Holt will be considered the Jerry Jones of the NBA...mark it down.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 09:38 AM
I sense the Spurs organization going in the direction of the Dallas Cowboys. 10 years from now Holt will be considered the Jerry Jones of the NBA...mark it down.

You did read the part about it being Donald Sterling who backed out of this deal, not Holt, right?

mountainballer
02-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Come on. Camby's putting up 12ppg this year. How can you say he's no better offensively than Oberto? Camby's a solid defender, one of the best rebounders in the game, is decent offensively and would make Tim Duncan's job so much easier. How anyone can not want a guy like that on this team is beyond me.

players on the Spurs roster= great.
players not on the Spurs roster= flawed.
players almost on the Spurs roster= worst players in the league.
what is beyond me is: if Mason in fact is the 2nd coming of Reggie Miller, as some seem to believe when rating his value and Hill has written next Devin Harris all over him and even Fab is the kind of back up center the whole league is dreaming to own, how comes that we doubt that this team will win the title by sweeping all four opponents they will meet?

bobbybob0
02-20-2009, 09:47 AM

The notion that Camby is injury prone as been overplayed now.

Take a look at his lats 5 seasons:

03-04: 72 GP
04-05: 66 GP
05-06: 56 GP
06-07: 70 GP
07-08: 79 GP

Sure, the guy is no Bruce Bowen but he's not really injury prone neither.
And he never missed a PO game.

That would have been a good trade, F.U. Sterling !

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
what is beyond me is: if Mason in fact is the 2nd coming of Reggie Miller, as some seem to believe when rating his value and Hill has written next Devin Harris all over him and even Fab is the kind of back up center the whole league is dreaming to own, how comes that we doubt that this team will win the title by sweeping all four opponents they will meet?

:lol

So true. There also appears to be a disconnect over whether or not it's okay to trade a good player for a better one.

rascal
02-20-2009, 09:48 AM

I like this post.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 09:51 AM

Oh, and let's not forget players dominating the d-league = better than NBA role players.

Spurminator
02-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I'd have made that deal, but if we're able to sign Rasheed this summer I think we're better off... not THIS year, obviously, but longer term.

tp2021
02-20-2009, 09:56 AM
How come the rights to Splitter or Ian Mahnimi was never even mentioned in any "possible" trade? Were the Spurs just not willing to give up these guys?

if it's true that they weren't shopping them, I think that says a lot about how the Spurs feel about Mahinmi's ability once he does recover. It's also possible the Spurs don't want to give up Splitter because of a belief he will join them when he gets out of his contract, but it could be just as likely that they didn't offer it because no team wanted the contract of a player that's never coming over stateside.

hater
02-20-2009, 09:57 AM
we would have probably got a ship with Camby this year.

there goes our ship, wave goodbye

Killakobe81
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
rasheed has soem real value dont think he could be had for cheap he has philly ties (think they would rather have Rasheed than Brand) ties to Larry Brown ...he would be nice working wih Okafor and Diaw ... OKC could use him as could Cleveland ...
Point is Rasheed will have some suitors ...

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 10:11 AM
rasheed has soem real value dont think he could be had for cheap he has philly ties (think they would rather have Rasheed than Brand) ties to Larry Brown ...he would be nice working wih Okafor and Diaw ... OKC could use him as could Cleveland ...

Charlotte and OKC suck and while Philly may or may not prefer Sheed to Brand that doesn't change the fact that they're still locked into him at big money for long years. Sheed will have options, but a 3 year offer from the Spurs at full MLE is going to be near the top of the list.

mogrovejo
02-20-2009, 10:27 AM
yeah sure. Spurs are much better without him.
he is only the #2 in RPG, delivering the same per minute production like Dwight Howard. and 2# in BPG. and #15 in overall efficiency. and #8 in efficiency per minute.
so in each of this categories, there is someone better than him.
obviously the most overrated player in the NBA. or was it the MLB? things get a bit confused this days on this board. oh well.

Read my previous post:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3129104&postcount=109

I never said the Spurs would be better without Camby and I've pointed the positive contributions he can make. However, he's also a liability on other aspects of the game and that wipes out part of his positives.

As someone who has always thought the Nuggets were doing a good deal when they traded him for a 2nd round pick, I have a feeling that either people don't really watch Camby a lot or they believe his contribution to fantasy leagues is translated to the floor by the same proportion. He'd still help every contender, but not to a large extent.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Ironically, both Hill and Bowen were absolutely key to the win in Detroit last night. AI was going off on Parker and Hill's length and quickness really bothered AI a lot. Hill even blocked him once in one-on-one defense (and another time with some help). Then Bowen took his turn in the 4th and bothered AI's attempted 3 pointer to tie with 30 seconds or so to go, enough that he completely bricked it. And Bowen even made the key free throws to seal it at the end.

K-State Spur
02-20-2009, 11:16 AM

i don't doubt that there will be competition for his services, but i doubt he selects either of the teams you mentioned. he cares about winning too much to sign with any young teams that are still years away from even being mentioned as title contenders. and it doesn't make much sense for any of those teams to invest heavily in a guy who will be washed up by the time that they are ready to contend.

had for cheap? probably not, but the MLE for a soon-to-be 35 year old (who tops out at a 13/8 guy even when he is playing well) isn't cheap.

unless something else erupts this offseason, i'd be shocked if the Spurs aren't a major player in that sweepstakes.

nkdlunch
02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
:pctoss

PDXSpursFan
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
... bye bye to our "Gasol trade"

:bang :bang :bang :bang

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

Holt's Cat
02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
The Spurs aren't winning with great team defense this year. They are winning with efficient offensive execution and, well, simply knowing how to play to win well (aka the system or corporate knowledge or whatever).

I'm not sure this bodes well for the postseason. Obviously they need everyone to be healthy and at near 100% to win it all.

Bonner's done very well this season, but he should be coming off the bench. Yes, the Spurs have won a title with a non-shotblocking big with a good perimeter stroke seeing heavy minutes next to Tim, but that was Robert Horry. Picking up a Joe Smith would be very nice heading into this postseason.

Yes, Bowen can still D up, but without a strong interior defense backing him up there's only so much he can do.

The Spurs are at a crossroads. They are no longer a top defensive unit. Now perhaps they can get back to that by finding that shotblocking, rebounding bigman to start alongside TD. Perhaps they don't get back to that and find another way to win it all, a way that is more dependent on offensive execution and playing smart. We shall see.

Mavs<Spurs
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Picking up Camby would have put us on equal footing with LA.

Our interior defense and our rebounding would have instantly improved. We would have returned to be one of the best defensive teams in the NBA.

Next season, Rasheed Wallace would be a great pick-up. He can be a great post defender both one on one and team. He is a better rebounder than any big we have now other than Timmy. And he can stretch the floor.

We would have a great chance at a championship with Rasheed Wallace.

:bang

superbigtime
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
You guys who think sending Hill and same aging oldies for Camby are nitwits. It woulda been awesome for the Spurs and crap for the Clippers. Why do think the Clips owner nixxed it?? Even with Manu healthy which is an enormous if, we have a defensive deficit because the fact is we have no real starting center.

EricB
02-20-2009, 01:03 PM
You guys who think sending Hill and same aging oldies for Camby are nitwits. It woulda been awesome for the Spurs and crap for the Clippers. Why do think the Clips owner nixxed it?? Even with Manu healthy which is an enormous if, we have a defensive deficit because the fact is we have no real starting center.

Cause hes a retard?

It was a done deal and he nixxed it at the VERY last minute, which means he had agreed to it and changed his mind.

Kurt Thomas is a good defensive center, and if they sign a big man such as Rasho the defensive bigs will improve.

Back away from the ledge a bit.

crc21209
02-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Something I found on the LA Clippers board at ESPN:

Rumor is Camby needs ear surgery

I read that he needs surgery to repair a torn eardrum...anyone else hear this? If true this is pretty sad given we'll never see our full team on the court this year. The ear is a pretty sensitive thing and helps coordinate balance so if he has surgery my guess is he'll be out for awhile

RE: On the post game radio show either Ralph or Brian said that he already had surgery on his ear to put tubes in. Supposedely his eardrum burst on one of the flights.

RE: If it is a burst ear drum, then no surgery is required. Nature will take its course.

As for putting tubes into his ears, not sure the reasoning there. If Marcus was sick with a head cold,which sounds likely, he would have had a huge amount of pressure building up behind his ear drum, hence it bursting. That is natures way of alleviating the pressure so the need for tubes seems redundant.

I can't imagine him missing too much time.( yes, forever the optimist).

Anyone else think that if something could possibly threaten his season because of his ear that this trade NOT going down is a blessing in disguise?

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nba&id=lac&tid=4303990&lid=2

Agloco
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Something I found on the LA Clippers board at ESPN:

Rumor is Camby needs ear surgery

I read that he needs surgery to repair a torn eardrum...anyone else hear this? If true this is pretty sad given we'll never see our full team on the court this year. The ear is a pretty sensitive thing and helps coordinate balance so if he has surgery my guess is he'll be out for awhile

RE: On the post game radio show either Ralph or Brian said that he already had surgery on his ear to put tubes in. Supposedely his eardrum burst on one of the flights.

RE: If it is a burst ear drum, then no surgery is required. Nature will take its course.

As for putting tubes into his ears, not sure the reasoning there. If Marcus was sick with a head cold,which sounds likely, he would have had a huge amount of pressure building up behind his ear drum, hence it bursting. That is natures way of alleviating the pressure so the need for tubes seems redundant.

I can't imagine him missing too much time.( yes, forever the optimist).

Anyone else think that if something could possibly threaten his season because of his ear that this trade NOT going down is a blessing in disguise?

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nba&id=lac&tid=4303990&lid=2

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3130064&postcount=29

Same day recovery just FYI.

Fingaroll44
02-20-2009, 02:15 PM

i agree. we've been needing a back up PG for years....we finally find a gem in Hill who has many years ahead of him....just to trade him for something short term...I'm glad it didnt work out that way

PDXSpursFan
02-20-2009, 02:34 PM
i agree. we've been needing a back up PG for years....we finally find a gem in Hill who has many years ahead of him....just to trade him for something short term...I'm glad it didnt work out that way
Are u kidding???? :nope :bang

Starting C >>>>>>>>>>>>> Backup PG (any time)

Especially, when the C = 11.6 PPG, 12.7 RPG, 2.4 BPG

And more importatly, Camby would be the best Big man next to TD since DR retired. It would allow the Spurs go back to the championship formula of twin tower D :lobt2:.

Agloco
02-20-2009, 02:37 PM

That something is more important than fostering potential at this point. People seem to forget that we need to win now. Timmy isn't getting any younger. Once he's gone, the train ride comes to an end.

rascal
02-20-2009, 02:41 PM

Bowen is useless against Bryant. You forget how Bowen got lit up by Bryant last year?

Spurminator
02-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Bowen is useless against Bryant. You forget how Bowen got lit up by Bryant last year?

Gee, good take. We keep forgetting that the NBA decided to contract the Playoffs and make them only one round this season.

xtremesteven33
02-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Bryant was out of his mind last year. I think hell come back to earth a little this playoffs.

Spurminator
02-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Besides, as you should recall, the exact point of game 1 where Kobe and the Lakers took control was when Bowen was brought OUT of the game.

You should also note that NO Spur has shot better from 3-pt range against the Lakers than Bowen.

But you won't. You'll continue to bring the same tired "Bowen sucks" takes that we've come to expect from you.

Carry on.

EricB
02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Besides, as you should recall, the exact point of game 1 where Kobe and the Lakers took control was when Bowen was brought OUT of the game.

You should also note that NO Spur has shot better from 3-pt range against the Lakers than Bowen.

But you won't. You'll continue to bring the same tired "Bowen sucks" takes that we've come to expect from you.

Carry on.

But I thought only a superstar could help and he would win it all?

Ginobili for carter!!!!!

Galileo
02-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Bryant went two straight games against Bowen without making a single free throw.

EricB
02-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Pop stupidly putting Bowen on the bench in Game 1 is alot of the reason they lost that game and the series.

Ice009
02-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Or maybe its the LA connection? :hat

I thought the same thing on both points. His LA connection and David Stern.

sananspursfan21
02-20-2009, 08:34 PM
they just didn't quite pull it off, clippers might as well just blow up the team and start over, i'd like to say they have some good young talent, but they just ain't got it and baron davis isn't doing anything either

raspsa
02-21-2009, 01:51 AM
I wonder if the Spurs even considered Kaman as a substitute for camby?

coyotes_geek
02-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I wonder if the Spurs even considered Kaman as a substitute for camby?

Perhaps, but Kaman's contract is pretty bad.

ploto
02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Goes to show they were willing to trade both Hill and Bruce.

rascal
02-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Pop stupidly putting Bowen on the bench in Game 1 is alot of the reason they lost that game and the series.

Your as bad as T Park.

rascal
02-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Gee, good take. We keep forgetting that the NBA decided to contract the Playoffs and make them only one round this season.

Getting past the first round is not a success for the Spurs who have at most around a 5 year window left with Duncan.

TDMVPDPOY
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Perhaps, but Kaman's contract is pretty bad.

i do it, absorbing kamans contract for a top prospect center well establish in the league atm.

insert splitter at forward next to him, and this team is done rebuilding

young core of
kaman, splitter, gists, ghill + big 3

superbigtime
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
they just didn't quite pull it off, clippers might as well just blow up the team and start over, i'd like to say they have some good young talent, but they just ain't got it and baron davis isn't doing anything either

Check out rookie Eric Gordon's numbers. Nice player.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 01:07 PM
i do it, absorbing kamans contract for a top prospect center well establish in the league atm.

insert splitter at forward next to him, and this team is done rebuilding

young core of
kaman, splitter, gists, ghill + big 3

I'd have been happy with landing Kaman too, but given the economy I can't really say I blame the Spurs for not wanting to take on that contract. Kaman would have been a real nice fit next to Duncan though.......

Thomas82
02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd have been happy with landing Kaman too, but given the economy I can't really say I blame the Spurs for not wanting to take on that contract. Kaman would have been a real nice fit next to Duncan though.......

Hopefully getting Tim some help will be our main priority this off season.

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Your as bad as T Park.

EricB is TPark, TPark is EricB...

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/e/c/6/ec6b84091c2a77685ac63ca9e4166a75.jpg

PM5K
02-24-2009, 04:59 PM
As much as I like Hill, I would have done that trade in a heartbeat, no question Bowen comes back if the Spurs want him and we have a lot of other guys that can run the point besides JV.

ulosturedge
02-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I think GHill has too much upside. I'd hate to trade him and if we did it would have to be for more. Camby isn't enough imo. If the Spurs can't add a solid big to help make a run this year then better to wait til next year. You try and do a "quickfix" to try and solidify a championship caliber team for this year then if it doesnt work out you have to deal with the baggage for the next couple of years. I'd rather wait til the off season and go after something better.