PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 NBA Draft.

Bruno
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Spurs' 09 draft picks :
Spurs have the 37th, 51st and 53rd picks.

Player available for the 09 draft :
International players born in 1987 and college senior are automatically eligible.
College underclassmen and international players born in 88, 89 or 90 can enter in the draft.

Key dates :
April 7 : Teams can start workouts with automatically eligible players.
April 8 - April 11 : Portsmouth invitational tournament
April 26 : Early entry eligibility deadline, teams can start workouts with them.
May 19 : Draft Lottery.
May 27 - May 31 : Draft combine in Chicago.
June 6 - June 8 : Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso.
June 15 : Early entry withdrawal deadline.
June 25 : NBA Draft in NY.

Links :
Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/index.php)
Nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/)
A blog on European prospects (http://www.europeanprospects.com/)
Espn draft page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/index)
Wiki on the lottery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery)
Future draft picks (http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php)
NCAA players stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/players)
Euroleague players stats (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players)
CBA faq (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm)

tp2021
02-20-2009, 10:10 AM
I love these threads Bruno. :tu

Biggems
02-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Bruno, I have been looking at the prospects....and man do I wish we had a 1st.....the 2nd round is going to be very slim pickins for a Big.....

We should have drafted Marc Gasol in 07, instead of Marcus Williams.

I wish we had that #37 last year, we could have potentially gotten DeAndre Jordan.

With those two, I think we would be pretty darn set at the Big slot.....we could then possibly package all 3 2nds we have in this draft, to try and get a G/F prospect drafted in the 1st round.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 10:16 AM
With this year's 1st round picks set to get contracts that will end up on team's 2010 cap, we could see more teams than usual willing to sell off their 1st rounders. If the Spurs see someone they like being able to buy their way into the 1st round might not be all that hard.

tp2021
02-20-2009, 10:23 AM

Prepare to have Austin_Toros on your ass.

Bruno
02-20-2009, 10:29 AM
thx, tp2021.

Some notes :

- The draft process has changed. Teams can start to work out players way sooner than before. The draft camp format has changed with the suppression of games. It is now only a combine. More about that : http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Again-Tinkering-With-the-Pre-Draft-Process-3049/

- The financial aspect should be a big aspect of this draft. Some teams could sold their first round pick because of a low luxury tax Level and/or to get some money. Some teams could sold their first round pick to not hurt their 2010 cap space.

- I haven't followed a lot European basketball this year so I don't really know who is really interesting. Among french players born in 87, Nando De Colo seems to be the only interesting name. He is having a so-so year and shouldn't be picked high in this draft.

mathbzh
02-20-2009, 10:41 AM
I don' t know if he will enter the draft.
But in the late second round Ludovic Vaty would be an intriguing prospect.

He is a 6'9 245 lbs Center born in 1988.
He was once called the best french prospect but did not developed has some would have expected. Two years ago he had some Euroleague experience, including a decent game against Scola.
This season his team sucks, but individually he made a huge step forward.
His stats:
28 mpg / 12 ppg (56%, FT 82%) / 8 rpg / 1 apg / 1 bpg / 1 spg / 2 TO / 3 PF

He is not playing in the Euroleague (or any European cup) this season so he is a bit overlooked. But despite being undersized for a C (I don't know if he can really evolve into a full time PF) I think he is an interesting young player.

mathbzh
02-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I think De Colo will never be able to really play in the NBA.
He already struggle when players goes physical against him.
In the NBA it would be worse... and his poor defense would be exposed

Bartleby
02-20-2009, 10:45 AM
With this year's 1st round picks set to get contracts that will end up on team's 2010 cap, we could see more teams than usual willing to sell off their 1st rounders. If the Spurs see someone they like being able to buy their way into the 1st round might not be all that hard.

That may be something the Spurs had in mind when they gave up their first rounder for KT. This draft looks to be loaded with big men, so hopefully they can buy their way into the first round.

mountainballer
02-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I can better tell about the Euro prospects, than about the college kids.
I have seen some games from Sergio Llull this season and I'm totally sold on him. DX has him in the 30s (in the area of the Warriors pick), nbadraft in the 50s (which is ridiculous IMO).
if he goes on to deliver those performances, he might move into the 1st round. if we can get him with the Warriors pick, I call this a huge steal.

next on my list is Vladimir Dasic, if he in fact joins the draft this year. (born 1988). DX has him listed 2009, so maybe there are informations that he joins the 2009 draft. (nbadraft has him as a late 1st rounder 2010).
I have atched some Eurocup re runs, where he displayed some very nice moments, but the major impression was an Adriatic league game I watched, when he was absolutely terrific.
he is a Radmanovic type player, not as good as a shooter, but other than Radman he plays good defense with great intensity. the kid is also an impressive athlete for a 20 years old white Euro guy and has good size for a combo forward.

third on my list would be Milenko Tepic. he isn't impressive in any aspect, but a super versatile smart Jaric-type big guard. this season he really started to play with more consistency (his major problem the last seasons).

EricB
02-20-2009, 11:27 AM
draft and stash will be the motto this year and with this economy i gaurantee it.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 11:28 AM
That may be something the Spurs had in mind when they gave up their first rounder for KT. This draft looks to be loaded with big men, so hopefully they can buy their way into the first round.

Certainly possible. Having that Golden State 2nd rounder sure helps. Makes it a lot easier for a team with a 1st in the 20s to move back into the 2nd.

urunobili
02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Matias Nocedal please...

AA2120
02-20-2009, 11:37 AM
justin mason g/f Texas

the next bruce bowen!

haha..i hope

Solid D
02-20-2009, 11:38 AM
The 2009 draft class is supposed to be one of the weakest talent pools in several years. That is possibly one of things that factored into the Spurs being willing to give up their 1st round pick for Thomas.

EricB
02-20-2009, 11:40 AM
The 2009 draft class is supposed to be one of the weakest talent pools in several years. That is possibly one of things that factored into the Spurs being willing to give up their 1st round pick for Thomas.

That and not wanting the gauranteed contract on the books for 2010.

Solid D
02-20-2009, 11:51 AM
That and not wanting the gauranteed contract on the books for 2010.

Perhaps, but the Rookie scale for 1st rounders, from the 22nd pick on down to 30th is under $1M.

EricB
02-20-2009, 11:52 AM
That didn't stop em in 2003 in giving up and passing on Josh Howard for "cap space"

Wouldn't shock me if they did it again.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Perhaps, but the Rookie scale for 1st rounders, from the 22nd pick on down to 30th is under $1M.

True, but then the Spurs did put the screws to George Hill to force him into taking only 80% of rookie scale amount on the 3rd year of his deal. All that just to save about $400k on the Spurs 2010 cap.

Solid D
02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
There is a chance that James Gist will have better ability than a 24th pick in this year's draft.

EricB
02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
That tells you how bad this draft class is :lol

pad300
02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Some slightly more off the radar names

Jonas Jerebko
Henk Norel

Both Euros, possible draft and stash. I am also of the opinion that it might be practical to trade into the late 1st round, with the warriors pick and another 2nd round pick...

TheProfessor
02-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I have seen some games from Sergio Llull this season and I'm totally sold on him. DX has him in the 30s (in the area of the Warriors pick), nbadraft in the 50s (which is ridiculous IMO).
if he goes on to deliver those performances, he might move into the 1st round. if we can get him with the Warriors pick, I call this a huge steal.

next on my list is Vladimir Dasic, if he in fact joins the draft this year. (born 1988). DX has him listed 2009, so maybe there are informations that he joins the 2009 draft. (nbadraft has him as a late 1st rounder 2010).
I have atched some Eurocup re runs, where he displayed some very nice moments, but the major impression was an Adriatic league game I watched, when he was absolutely terrific.
he is a Radmanovic type player, not as good as a shooter, but other than Radman he plays good defense with great intensity. the kid is also an impressive athlete for a 20 years old white Euro guy and has good size for a combo forward.

third on my list would be Milenko Tepic. he isn't impressive in any aspect, but a super versatile smart Jaric-type big guard. this season he really started to play with more consistency (his major problem the last seasons).
I'd like tout mountainballer's instincts on players, he was a big Hairston advocate. Couple of other foreign guys who dropped out previously should merit consideration, Omri Casspi and Nando de Colo, particularly Casspi, who the Spurs supposedly scouted last year.

mountainballer
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
I'd like tout mountainballer's instincts on players, he was a big Hairston advocate. Couple of other foreign guys who dropped out previously should merit consideration, Omri Casspi and Nando de Colo, particularly Casspi, who the Spurs supposedly scouted last year.

ah yeah, Casspi. you might remember that I absolutely don't like him, maybe that's why I tend to ignore him. but yes, if he stays in this year and he in fact drops to the Warriors pick (which I doubt), Spurs will have him on their list. in terms of talent they need to. he would also fill more needs than Llull. but still, if both are there, I would hate to see the Spurs pick Casspi over Llull.

TheProfessor
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
ah yeah, Casspi. you might remember that I absolutely don't like him, maybe that's why I tend to ignore him. but yes, if he stays in this year and he in fact drops to the Warriors pick (which I doubt), Spurs will have him on their list. in terms of talent they need to. he would also fill more needs than Llull. but still, if both are there, I would hate to see the Spurs pick Casspi over Llull.
:lol I had totally forgotten your dislike of Casspi. Something to consider - if the Spurs are sufficiently impressed with Gist's progress, he may fill that combo-forward/rookie role. I would also imagine Casspi wants to come to the states sooner rather than later (that was the indication last year). The Spurs would be looking to leave their pick/s overseas for some time, as Hill, Hairston, Gist, and Mahinmi provide a young yet inexperienced core already.

200 miles
02-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Jerome Jordan and Jeff Adrien. That is all.

stéphane
02-20-2009, 04:53 PM
There is a chance that James Gist will have better ability than a 24th pick in this year's draft.

wow :depressed
You're watching a lot of NCAA Solid?
I mean, I miss enough sleep watching NBA games so watching NCAA and college ball would make me a zombie in an instant. So are you giving us your opinion (wich is usually revelant) of what you've seen or just the general opinion amongst medias?

Austin_Toros
02-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Bruno, I have been looking at the prospects....and man do I wish we had a 1st.....the 2nd round is going to be very slim pickins for a Big.....

I wish we had that #37 last year, we could have potentially gotten DeAndre Jordan.

With those two, I think we would be pretty darn set at the Big slot.....we could then possibly package all 3 2nds we have in this draft, to try and get a G/F prospect drafted in the 1st round.

Hold up there buddy. Marcus Williams has shown improvement this season and I would happily have him on the Spurs roster. Hopefully some time in the near future Williams will be given that lifeline.
I think what you mean to say is that the Marcus Williams pick was a good choice, and that DeAndre Jordan is the man we missed out on in last years draft.

Prepare to have Austin_Toros on your ass.

You know me too well. :)

:flag:

Ocotillo
02-20-2009, 05:47 PM
True, but then the Spurs did put the screws to George Hill to force him into taking only 80% of rookie scale amount on the 3rd year of his deal. All that just to save about $400k on the Spurs 2010 cap.

CIA Holt already had the pictures that just came out the other day which is how Georgie accepted his deal :lol

Solid D
02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
I mean, I miss enough sleep watching NBA games so watching NCAA and college ball would make me a zombie in an instant. So are you giving us your opinion (wich is usually revelant) of what you've seen or just the general opinion amongst medias?

Yes, I'm giving my opinion, but I'm also referring to what some of the talent scouts and experts are saying regarding this draft, that it is supposed to be weaker. It's not star-studded but, to be sure, there are some very good players.

We haven't had the pleasure of seeing James Gist's progress here in the USA but if he has improved some from last summer, he could show better than someone like Pitt's Sam Young as a 1st year role player.

I don't watch NCAA as much as I have in past years, but I do follow it every year as best I can.

stéphane
02-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Yes, I'm giving my opinion, but I'm also referring to what some of the talent scouts and experts are saying regarding this draft, that it is supposed to be weaker. It's not star-studded but, to be sure, there are some very good players.

We haven't had the pleasure of seeing James Gist's progress here in the USA but if he has improved some from last summer, he could show better than someone like Pitt's Sam Young as a 1st year role player.

I don't watch NCAA as much as I have in past years, but I do follow it every year as best I can.

Thank you, straight to the point. :tu

Penya
02-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Paulão Prestes has no mention in draftexpress nor nbadraft... He's a beast.
Llull, Pau Ribas or Henk Norel will be good players as well.

Bruno
02-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Paulão Prestes has no mention in draftexpress nor nbadraft... He's a beast.
Llull, Pau Ribas or Henk Norel will be good players as well.

Udrih > Rubio

yavozerb
02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FoqQEi1aYk

Looks good to me!!

Penya
02-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Udrih > Rubio

I don't want to be banned:lol

Rubio has a huge bad point: His shot. He's improving a bit this year but it's still terrible. His D and BB IQ are high (so he'll be better than Beno:p:)

(Rubio will be drafted in 2010, not 2009 IMO)

Bruno
02-20-2009, 07:26 PM
The Udrih who is better than Rubio isn't Beno. It's Samo. :downspin:

Penya
02-20-2009, 07:29 PM
The Udrih who is better than Rubio isn't Beno. It's Samo. :downspin:

You've watched the game hahah.

manufor3
02-20-2009, 08:22 PM
dejuan blair any1?

Biggems
02-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Hold up there buddy. Marcus Williams has shown improvement this season and I would happily have him on the Spurs roster. Hopefully some time in the near future Williams will be given that lifeline.
I think what you mean to say is that the Marcus Williams pick was a good choice, and that DeAndre Jordan is the man we missed out on in last years draft.

You know me too well. :)

:flag:

We need Bigs more than Wings.....so while your boy might be improving. Gasol helped Spain win a Silver medal in the Olympics, and he is now having a solid rookie season in the NBA, not a journeyman in the NBDL.

Gasol's defensive and rebounding presence would be a much greater asset right now, than whatever it is Williams has to offer. Just imagine how much more dominant Duncan would be if he had a legit defensive Center to play next to.....like when he had DRob and Rasho.

Biggems
02-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Udrih > Rubio

we could have drafted Duhon instead of Beno.....:bang

Austin_Toros
02-21-2009, 02:45 AM
We need Bigs more than Wings.....so while your boy might be improving. Gasol helped Spain win a Silver medal in the Olympics, and he is now having a solid rookie season in the NBA, not a journeyman in the NBDL.

Gasol's defensive and rebounding presence would be a much greater asset right now, than whatever it is Williams has to offer. Just imagine how much more dominant Duncan would be if he had a legit defensive Center to play next to.....like when he had DRob and Rasho.

Lets just sign Williams and get a big man either in the near future or the off-season. Then we can both be happy.

Bruno
04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
A little update :

- If the season ended today, Spurs would have the 37th, 52nd and 55th picks.

- Early-entrants still have 2 weeks to decide to enter or not. DX has a quite complete article about who should be in/out : http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-Whoas-In-and-Out-of-the-2009-NBA-Draft-3168

- Tomorrow will the Nike Hoop Summit. American players aren't eligible for this draft but almost all international players are. There are a lot of interesting players in the international roster. Some infos + the international roster : http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_hsum_world_roster

- The Portsmouth tournament has started. There are few (no?) high profile players in this event but given that Spurs have 2 late second round picks this year, there is a good chance they get some low profile players.

- Keep an eye on Rodrigue Beaubois (if he enters in the draft). His agent, who is also Mahinmi's and Batum's agent, has said one week ago : "Some franchises really love him : Oklahoma, San Antonio, Portland... There hasn't been a single time, during our meetings, that they didn't talk to me about him. And it has been that for 2 years! "

Mal
04-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Get some seniors here. Collison, Adrien or even Sam Young, Green from UNC are NBA ready, and could have some impact to this now.

Mal
04-10-2009, 01:35 PM

I`m watching and despite some guys, it will be weak draft. Personaly I think it will be Blake Griffin and no one else who could become a starter.

mathbzh
04-10-2009, 02:01 PM
- Keep an eye on Rodrigue Beaubois (if he enters in the draft). His agent, who is also Mahinmi's and Batum's agent, has said one week ago : "Some franchises really love him : Oklahoma, San Antonio, Portland... There hasn't been a single time, during our meetings, that they didn't talk to me about him. And it has been that for 2 years! "

Beaubois is exploding right now in the French league (17 ppg for the last 4 games). He looks like he has some huge upide.
But I have some question about him:
- Is he a PG or an undersized SG (with a huge wingspan)?
- With Hill there, would he be a priority for the Spurs?
- How is he doing on defense?

Bruno
04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Beaubois is exploding right now in the French league (17 ppg for the last 4 games). He looks like he has some huge upide.
But I have some question about him:
- Is he a PG or an undersized SG (with a huge wingspan)?
- With Hill there, would he be a priority for the Spurs?
- How is he doing on defense?

You can read the interview (in French) of his agent to have more infos about him :
http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/handvolley_det_-Bouna-N-Diaye-La-NBA-adore-le-Choletais-Rodrigue-Beaubois-_39630-878400_actu.Htm

Now I agree with you that drafting a PG shouldn't be a priority for Spurs. It's even more true for Beaubois who has a profile close to Hill's one.
Saying that, the draft is said to be weak and Spurs first pick will be at 37th. So it's possible that all the players filling a need and liked by Spurs are gone at that pick. Spurs could have to settle for a player who doesn't really fill a need.

mexicanjunior
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
draft and stash will be the motto this year and with this economy i gaurantee it.

Awesome, more players we will either never get to come over or end up giving away in salary dump moves...

AFBlue
04-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Prospects I see the Spurs taking....

Casspi - Aggressive slashing SF with good size, has seen his first consistent minutes this season...and Spurs have reportedly scouted him.

Green - Do-it-all G/F...can shoot, rebound, and most importantly he can defend. He has Spurs written all over him.

Beaubois - Long athletic PG is still a project, but may only be a year off. Spurs have Hill, but he may be trade bait for a big piece if the Spurs decide to go that route instead of free agency in 2010. And the Spurs have reportedly showed interest.

exstatic
04-10-2009, 05:50 PM

Casspi - Aggressive slashing SF with good size, has seen his first consistent minutes this season...and Spurs have reportedly scouted him.

Green - Do-it-all G/F...can shoot, rebound, and most importantly he can defend. He has Spurs written all over him.

Beaubois - Long athletic PG is still a project, but may only be a year off. Spurs have Hill, but he may be trade bait for a big piece if the Spurs decide to go that route instead of free agency in 2010. And the Spurs have reportedly showed interest.

Besides Green, those players will all likely be gone by 37.

seth210
04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
vyacheslav kravstov (c)
sam young (sf) the dude has a huge wingspan
omri casspi (sf)

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
this is one of the weakest drafts in NBA history..I'd rather just have Hill, Ian, Hairston, Williams, and Gist battling it out to make the roster..

Rogue
04-10-2009, 07:08 PM
even with the low-ranked picks the spurs still can get some elite drafts like Manu and Tony Longoria, and the 2nd rounder from GS has almost the same amount of value as spurs' own 1st round pick.

BackHome
04-10-2009, 07:42 PM
The draft is realy weak but they are some players out there who could help us. The problem is that we are going to have to help them on the way and that means we got to give them minutes to play.

I would be happy to bring in Gist and get Green.......I just wish they had some good bigs but they all pretty much suck.

Thomas82
04-10-2009, 10:07 PM
dejuan blair any1?

The next Malik Rose!!

Hemotivo
04-11-2009, 11:15 PM
- Tomorrow will the Nike Hoop Summit. American players aren't eligible for this draft but almost all international players are. There are a lot of interesting players in the international roster. Some infos + the international roster : http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_hsum_world_roster

nice game, the world beat usa by 8 i think

soooo much talent on the court for both teams

nz_spur
04-11-2009, 11:39 PM
I would like to see a solid C or a defensively minded SF, something that we will be lacking.

Mal
04-12-2009, 04:02 AM
dejuan blair any1?

Top NCAA rebounder with 37th pick ??

exstatic
04-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I dont see this as a weak draft if most of the top players come out I see a strong draft. Guys like C Buddenger from Zona, who would have been a top 20 pick last year could fall into the second round. The problem with this draft is that players 3-20 are all about even as far as skill level right now.

Im hoping we trade into the first and grab a shot blocker or a wing who can get to the rim.

That's exactly what qualifies as a weak draft. The draft is so weak, Buddinger is actually moving UP, and it's not his doing or potential that's making it happen. NBAdraft.net has him going #9 overall now.

Don't count on the Spurs jumping back into the first round, either, and obligating themselves with yet another guaranteed contract. They're already caryying two, Ian and George, who aren't currently in the rotation.

AFBlue
04-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Besides Green, those players will all likely be gone by 37.

All three are on the first round bubble and it's too early to say which will improve their draft stock by the time the draft comes around.

Biggems
04-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Some 2nd round prospects

C Jerome Jordan
F/C Jeff Pendergraph
F Ahmad Nivins
SF Lee Cummard
SG Josh Carter

EricB
04-12-2009, 07:09 PM
AJ is a tweener I believe is he not?

Biggems
04-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I get the feeling the Spurs will draft A.J. Abrams if only to obtain a really good shooter and have him play for the Toros. It would probably be more of a move money wise, Longhorn fans that liked A.J. might come out to see him play starting point for the Toros.

IMO, Abrams can be signed as a UDFA. I do not believe he will be drafted.

Mal
04-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Please, no more french...

Bring some seniors or juniors with high IQ. That`s all Spurs need.

Biggems
04-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I am not sure just yet who I want in the draft....I have a few names lined up though.

Ignoring the draft, what about his lineup for next season.....

Vaughn, Oberto, Finley, and Bowen retire.

C - Mahimni, Bonner, Thomas
PF - Duncan, Gooden, Gist
SF - Udoka, Sanikidze, Williams
SG - Mason, Manu, ?
PG - Parker, Hill, Hairston

Bruno
04-29-2009, 12:19 AM
bump.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-090427

But the only other international player with a real shot of cracking the lottery looks like Casspi, who a number of teams, including the Hawks and Spurs, have kept a close eye on this year.

EricB
04-29-2009, 12:26 AM
Casspi sounds interesting.

loveforthegame
04-29-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't expect anything out of this draft for the Spurs. If the picks are not traded then they'll just be stashed.

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Casspi couldn't get a first round guarantee last year, and now he's cracking the lottery? What an awful draft class.

objective
04-29-2009, 03:53 AM
I don't care if all 3 second rounders are scrubs, I'd rather the Spurs lose in the first round playing second round scrubs major minutes under minimum salaries than the current assortment of washed-up/never-were garbage players.

I'll happily take Jeff Pendergraph and Nando De Colo or Rodrigue Beaubois or Grievis Vasquez or Taj Gibson or anyone . . .

Just get rid of KT, Udoka, Vaughn, Finley, Oberto and Bonner (though he can stay).

holcs50
04-29-2009, 04:19 AM
I am not sure just yet who I want in the draft....I have a few names lined up though.

Ignoring the draft, what about his lineup for next season.....

Vaughn, Oberto, Finley, and Bowen retire.

SG - Mason, Manu, ?

If that's our roster next year we're not going anywhere but 1st/2nd round exit. That means we get no significant pick up in the off-season. We need more than just an average player for once!! VC would've been so nice....damn.

As for Budinger, im a UA alumni have seen almost all his games, if he goes in top 15 its a really really weak draft. Bud is soft, doesn't take it hard to the rack, lacking athleticism, and loves to settle for the trey. He had some good games in college, but my guess is he will struggle a LOT in the nba. Hes lucky he has good size but i think he's just gonna be a bencher to come in for a few shots now and then.

As for the spurs who knows, just go for shot in the dark picks-i mean its 3 second round picks in a weak draft. I like green from NC if he goes second round, good size, rebounder, hustle player. Point is no way we make our significant moves in the draft-gotta do it by trades with our expiring contracts next year to get a legit player.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 08:06 AM
SG - Mason, Manu, ?

how about matt barnes for whatever the MLE is paying or even less, a point/forward player who can play pg/sg/sf/pf small ball, can handle the ball, play defense, score, hustle....

we are clearly lacking another guy to handle the ball when either parker is on the bench or when ginoboli is injured, didnt like GHILL handling the ball, let alone seeing mason running around with the ball pg duties.

ever since he got more tatts, his been a different player for some odd reason.

mountainballer
04-29-2009, 08:33 AM
jesus, Chad Ford has never been great informed about the Euro players, this year is no exception. Casspi might sneak into the 1st round, but lottery? that's totally nonsense.
far worse is Ford's speculation about Jerebko:

One international sleeper to look out for is Sweden's Jonas Jerebko. A late bloomer in Europe, he had a solid year and his body is really beginning to fill out. If he blows up at the Reebok Eurocamp this year, he could also sneak his way into the lottery.

Jerebko is a nice player, maybe some team sees a poor man's Shawne Battier in him and one will pick him early in the 2nd round. late 1st round would be a huge surprise, but lottery???? hey Ford, this is a weak draft class, but college players are still in the draft.

IMO the better chance for a surprising rise up the board has Sergi Llull from Spain and two young players from the Adratic league, Vladimir Dasic and Milan Macvan.
(Macvan might just test waters though).
Llull and Dasic are fantastic athletes for European standards, so the NBA scouts will like what they see in the work outs. Dasic also displays very good size (6-9 maybe even 6-10) and a great frame for a SF. if scouts believe he can play SF in the NBA, he will rise up the board.
Macvan is pretty much the Euro version of Sean May. undersized, strong and overweight. but an unbelievable offensive talent. moves, ball handling, touch and IQ are outstanding. he's just 19. if he can lose 15-20 pounds and therefore add some athleticism and explosivness, he would turn into something like the Euro version of Kevin Love. and if some GM think this is possible, they will take him in the 1st round.

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Draft DeJuan Blair and we will never have a team outrebounding us. Too bad we cant, he will be drafted in top 15.

Sam Young might be a very very good option. Can hit the 3, slash and mid range all consistently. And hes about 6'7. I actually played with him at Pitt in pick-up for 3 years in a row. He can make 3 pointers with ease at the half court mark.

Lee Cummards is a huge vagina, we will not draft him.

Robert Vaden might be a good pickup. 6-5 Combo Guard who can drain the 3.
If we traded back into the first round, Young would be a nice pick-up. Don't think he'll last until 37 unfortunately.

spursbird
04-29-2009, 09:31 AM
The Spurs rarely draft ones we expected. Don't be surprised if another IUPUI was drafted.

pad300
04-29-2009, 01:14 PM
My Current Opinions
Positions
1) PG is best set for the Spurs - no need to draft here (especially as Pop will want his 3ed PG to be a long-term vet)
2) We have a number of Wing prospects (Wings : Hairston & Williams, Tweeners : Gist & Sanikidze), already in the system. It is likely those prospects will get the youth spots in next years Wing Rotation. . Wing prospects should be draft and stash
3) Good draft and stash big prospects should be a focus of the draft. For big man prospects we currently have Mahinmi and maybe Splitter and Javtokas ( and tweeners Gist & Sanikidze). That is a pretty short set up all (given the Tweeners are really intended to play wing, and the maybes are pretty big (IMO) wrt Splitter and Javtokas). However, we don't have a lot roster spots for develomental bigs either. If we draft a big, we need to either looking at immediate production (eg. Paul Millsap) or a draft and stash position.

Euro's
IF Milan Macvan is in (currently in & projected 2nd round) take him if available
IF Victor Claver is in (currently in & projected 2nd round) take him if available

Both are 1st round talents without offcourt/attitude issues, who IMO have entered too early, if either drop to us take 'em.

Casspi, Jerebko, Dasic are all decent 2nd round wing/tweener prospects; I find it difficult to distinguish between them based on my currently available info...
Henk Norel is a big man prospect who would be worth a draft and stash IMO

Americans
Three names that might fall to our current #37 and be useful immediately
Tyler Hansborough, Tyler Smith, Sam Young
Late in the 2nd
Jon Bronckman

Ocotillo
04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
There is too much talk linking the Spurs to Casspi. He'll never be a Spur.

biziofromdowntown
04-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Jonas Jerebko from Angelico Biella....actually team of Gist.

Book it.

TheSpursFNRule
04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
We need Wayne Ellington!

Spurs_9_20_21
04-29-2009, 08:13 PM
We need Wayne Ellington!
Thank you for finally understanding, but he is projected to be a 1-20 pick.

Tidarius
05-18-2009, 04:30 AM
I think De Colo will never be able to really play in the NBA.
He already struggle when players goes physical against him.
In the NBA it would be worse... and his poor defense would be exposed

French view of De colo
De Colo could be a steal in this draft !!! Tell me how many point guards franchise player of his age you know. Specially in france where young players doesn't play often, and not with much responsabilities. I remember Parker in France who struggled to get playing time in his first year.
People talk about a so so year but that's because he begun the year as the target N° 1 for defense. He proved that he can handle defensive pressure.This guy was a sleeper before a new coach decided that he will be the guy 2 years ago : he finished mvp of the french league (before Batum), mvp of the semaine des as (mid season tournament with 8 best regular season teams) and mvp off the all star game. There could be doubt of the level of the french league but he led Cholet to final of final for of the eurochallenge and score 24 pts and decided to take the last shot because... "he was the only one who can do it" ! In his first international game he score 28pts. We'll see in the workouts for the lack of strength and D. But I think he has the psyche to play at this level even to take it over. Plus he is a shooter !!
Peace

mathbzh
05-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Sorry if I sound to harsh about Nando. I really like his talent and I think he should become a very good Euroleague player. I also hope he will become a major piece of the French NT.

I just don't believe he has the tools to succeed in the NBA and should stay in Europe.

I wish I am wrong, but he would not be the first talented European player not to succeed in the NBA.

I remember Parker in France who struggled to get playing time in his first year.
Nando is 21. At 21 Parker was the starting PG for the NBA champion.
This is not to minimize what Nando is doing, but Parker is in class of his own when it comes to french talent/precocity/accomplishments...

And about french talent not playing I have to disagree. This season, MBaye, Beaubois, Heurtel, Vaty, Moerman, Pellin, Curti... played some solid minutes.

dbestpro
05-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Austin Daye or Victor Claver. Daye probably will go first round but you never know who might fall.

TheProfessor
05-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Austin Daye or Victor Claver. Daye probably will go first round but you never know who might fall.
Too many quality players have pulled out for someone like Daye to fall all the way to 37. Claver's likelier than Daye just because of the injury, I would be surprised to see him fall that far though.

TDMVPDPOY
05-18-2009, 06:06 PM
has the rookie salary scale been posted yet? i wonder if it went down from previous year cause of the current economic climate...

Mel_13
05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
has the rookie salary scale been posted yet? i wonder if it went down from previous year cause of the current economic climate...

Rookie scales were set through the 2011-12 season by the 2005 CBA.

Numbers here:

http://www.nbpa.org/cba_exhibits/exhibitB.php

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM

No to Tepic. He will sign a huge contract with PAO. Plus he is extremely overrated. Dasic? Why? Lull is worth consideration for sure. But he is a 6-3 SG. I say no to him also.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
The only European players in this draft that seems worth anything to me are Casspi, Claver, Macvan, Pappas, Rubio, Lull, Teodosic, and maybe Preldzic.

Preldzic has only show some flashes though. Lull is a 6-3 SG so fatal flaw for him. Macvan is young and is already too fat. Casspi is hustle and energy guy. Claver is a poor man version of Fotsis.

So

Teodosic
Pappas
Rubio

Those 3 I think are the ones that should be targeted. Rubio is not available to Spurs position. So I go with Pappas or Teodosic. Lull or Claver would be good picks also but one is 6-3 SG and the other is much too soft so they have flaws.

De Colo, Tepic, Jerebko, Datome, Norel, Beabouis, etc. and all these others who cares? Stupid draftexpress.com and NBAdraft.net morons.

TheProfessor
05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
The only European players in this draft that seems worth anything to me are Casspi, Claver, Macvan, Pappas, Rubio, Lull, Teodosic, and maybe Preldzic.

Preldzic has only show some flashes though. Lull is a 6-3 SG so fatal flaw for him. Macvan is young and is already too fat. Casspi is hustle and energy guy. Claver is a poor man version of Fotsis.

So

Teodosic
Pappas
Rubio

Those 3 I think are the ones that should be targeted. Rubio is not available to Spurs position. So I go with Pappas or Teodosic. Lull or Claver would be good picks also but one is 6-3 SG and the other is much too soft so they have flaws.

De Colo, Tepic, Jerebko, Datome, Norel, Beabouis, etc. and all these others who cares? Stupid draftexpress.com and NBAdraft.net morons.
OK, I'm going to try the olive branch here - what do Pappas and Teodosic offer? I'm unfamiliar with them.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-18-2009, 07:39 PM
OK, I'm going to try the olive branch here - what do Pappas and Teodosic offer? I'm unfamiliar with them.

Nikos Pappas is a very very clever and crafty player. He will be a SG but a SG with point guard skills in full ability. He has a very very big body also for a guard. He is one of the very best European players I think ever at his age. The only player in Europe in his generation that should be consider a bigger prize is Rubio. But also Pappas is a way way better shooter than Rubio.

Milos Teodosic is a prize for whatever team is smart enough to draft him. He will also be a SG I think. Only problem with him is defense. But he is complete skills in offense. He is as smart as any player can get. Running offense, passing, creating, setting up plays, lob passes, everything he can do it. Run the offense with him as a decision maker and you have something for sure. His shooting range has no limit from as I can see. I mean 30 footers are like layups for him. I mean these idiot sites like draftexpress and nbadraft do not even have him list in the mocks and yet there is Calathes?

Teodosic I think can be thought of as a similar player to Calathes except I think he is surely FAR better outside shooter, much more range and he's smarter than Calathes.

Wolves fan
05-18-2009, 07:42 PM
True, I like Casspi with the spurs, so does this site http://2009NBADraft.com
They also have us taking Luke Harnengody with our last pick, do you think he could contribute.

Spurs Draft team page
http://2009nbadraft.com/nba-team-pages/30-san-antonio-spurs-team-page.html

bdictjames
05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Get Luke Harangody.. the guy has skills.

TFloss32
05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I've been reading the forums on this site for about a year now. Is it just me, or did KBP's English improve tremendously on the past three or four posts? Regardless, nice info on the Euro prospects. Hopefully the Spurs can take advantage of a "poor" 2009 draft class and find a serviceable player for the future.

TimDunkem
05-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Nikos Pappas is a very very clever and crafty player. He will be a SG but a SG with point guard skills in full ability. He has a very very big body also for a guard. He is one of the very best European players I think ever at his age. The only player in Europe in his generation that should be consider a bigger prize is Rubio. But also Pappas is a way way better shooter than Rubio.

Milos Teodosic is a prize for whatever team is smart enough to draft him. He will also be a SG I think. Only problem with him is defense. But he is complete skills in offense. He is as smart as any player can get. Running offense, passing, creating, setting up plays, lob passes, everything he can do it. Run the offense with him as a decision maker and you have something for sure. His shooting range has no limit from as I can see. I mean 30 footers are like layups for him. I mean these idiot sites like draftexpress and nbadraft do not even have him list in the mocks and yet there is Calathes?

Teodosic I think can be thought of as a similar player to Calathes except I think he is surely FAR better outside shooter, much more range and he's smarter than Calathes.

I'll take your word for it, but the Spurs are in desperate need of a SF who can get to the rim, defend, and shoot. Who do you think could fill this role for the Spurs?

TheProfessor
05-18-2009, 08:18 PM

It is not only DX and nbadraft that prop up Calathes - Ford reported scouts really liked what they saw out of him at a recent workout. Do you know if Teodosic and Pappas will be at the Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso?

And yes, your English is definitely improving :lol But hey, keep bringing solid takes without calling us names and I'll stop complaining.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-18-2009, 08:31 PM
I'll take your word for it, but the Spurs are in desperate need of a SF who can get to the rim, defend, and shoot. Who do you think could fill this role for the Spurs?

Maybe they should get NCAA player or maybe Ingles the Australian player if this is what they want.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
It is not only DX and nbadraft that prop up Calathes - Ford reported scouts really liked what they saw out of him at a recent workout. Do you know if Teodosic and Pappas will be at the Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso?

And yes, your English is definitely improving :lol But hey, keep bringing solid takes without calling us names and I'll stop complaining.

I assure you that Teodosic is better than Calathes. Pappas was at Nike Hoops summit and I think he will be at Reebok Euro camp. Teodosic I do not know but I say he will not be there. Because he has to play Greek finals and also he has to get ready for European championships with Serbian national team.

Just think though Pargo could not get PT over Teodosic and even was finally released because he could not beat him for backup point guard behind Papaloukas. And Teodosic is the point guard at just 22 in one of the best national teams in the world. Calathes has some very good qualities but surely if Teodosic was NCAA player then Americans would be drooling over him.