PDA

View Full Version : Best realistic late season pick up for the Spurs?

Supergirl
02-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Who do you think they should try and pick up? Mikki Moore has been waived, and has shown spurts of decent play. Might not be a bad third C to have. Pops Mensah-Bonsu has been tearing it up in the D league. Someone else? Should they focus on picking up a back up C or another shooter? Realistic options only, in this thread.

tp2021
02-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Pops is vastly most likely.

benefactor
02-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Pops will probably have a 10 day pretty quick here. After that it will depend on who gets bought out.

Supergirl
02-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Either Moore or Pops would probably be signed for a 10 day contract, but my thought is that Pops is likely to be more of a long term project whereas Moore is good for 10-15 minutes in games that require a lot of C time (rebounding, blocking out, picking up fouls) come playoff time.

dbestpro
02-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Pop likes Moore alot. They are always very cordial with one another when we played against Moore's team. I think Moore is much moore likely to sign with SA than Boston where he won't see nearly as much PT.

arodz
02-20-2009, 10:57 AM
My best guess....Robert Horry. Pop's not gonna bring in a D-league guy for the post season. We need someone with post season experience.

urunobili
02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Pops FTW!

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Kinda hard to answer since we don't know who all the buyout guys are going to be yet. Generally speaking though, guys like Pops need to be near the bottom of the list and guys like Mikki Moore need to be near the top. Nothing against Pops, but if we're looking for somebody who has a chance to help against the lakers 3 months from today undersized power forwards with no NBA experience need to take a back seat to adequately sized power forwards or centers with NBA experience.

rasho8
02-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Rasho......

NFGIII
02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Moore because I don't see Pops being the type of player needed come playoff time. Not that he isn't good and has been putting up great numbers in Austin but he is coming from the D league, very inexprerienced with our system and the NBA in general. Yes, I know he played in the NBA and was in Dallas so why is he in the D league then? At the time he wasn't able to adapt to the league and was eventually cut loose. He seems to have matured more but is he going to be a contirbuting player remains to be seen. Tough call - go with Moore who has played awhile in the league or give someone with little experince a shot at it? Pop will most likely go with the vet over the rook.

I look at Pops as a long term project similar to Ian and Gist (and to a cerain extent Hairston even though he is on the roster now) where they will be in training camp next year but not really going to contribute now.

Agloco
02-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Sigh........ Rasho Fucking Nesterovic
:depressed

Gotta go with him because we need experience which he has over Pops and IQ which he has over Mikki. Plus Rasho has played in the system before making it easier for him to be prepared before playoff time.

I like Mikki for his hustle and mobility but he tends to make a lot of mental mistakes at crucial times.

Bottom line is that the Spurs need a "plug and play" big more than simply an athletic big who might be prone to lapses come playoff time.

Bruno
02-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Spurs still have 4 bigs (Duncan, Bonner, Thomas and Oberto). If Spurs sign a new big, only 3 profiles makes sense :
- A player good enough to be above Oberto in the rotation.
- A player bad enough to not be upset to be the 5th big.
- A player with a specific skillset that can be useful against some teams.

IMO, Moore doesn't fit one of these 3 profiles.

xtremesteven33
02-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Spurs have won 2 Championships without a "great" bigman next to Duncan.

IF and thats a BIG IF Bynum does not come back this year, The Spurs dont exactly NEED that extra 7 foot Big man. I would like to see Pops though for his youth added to the team. Maybe to guard Lamar Odom if needed.

nkdlunch
02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I think it's pretty simple. We have bigs who are slow, can't block a shot and are poor team defenders.

Either we try one of those options:
- Mikki might be a lil faster and might block a shot or 2
- Rasho is a good team defender and might block a shot or 2
- Pops is athletic and might block

Rasho has championship experience so he'd be my #1. Point is, any of these 3 guys might be worth a try because again, we have slow, non athletic bigs. Duncan needs help

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
True, but the guy they had at center on those other 2 championship teams was still way better than anything on the current Spurs roster that they're trying to pass off as a center.

Agloco
02-20-2009, 11:32 AM

IF and thats a BIG IF Bynum does not come back this year, The Spurs dont exactly NEED that extra 7 foot Big man. I would like to see Pops though for his youth added to the team. Maybe to guard Lamar Odom if needed.

You left out the fact that the Spurs didn't face a team with a good inside game during those runs. LA, Boston and Orlando now have that.

Also, the bigs that we had during those runs were more capable of playing decent D and at least bothering shots than what we have now.

Hoping that Bynum doesn't come back isn't a winning formula. Preparing for his eventual return is.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
You left out the fact that the Spurs didn't face a team with a good inside game during those runs. LA, Boston and Orlando now have that.

Also, the bigs that we had during those runs were more capable of playing decent D and at least bothering shots than what we have now.

Hoping that Bynum doesn't come back isn't a winning formula. Preparing for his eventual return is.

Bingo. And even if Bynum isn't there that doesn't mean that there's nothing to be gained by having another big on the roster capable of filling in for a few minutes. Even if it's just providing Tim Duncan with a couple more minutes of rest.

GSH
02-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Spurs still have 4 bigs (Duncan, Bonner, Thomas and Oberto). If Spurs sign a new big, only 3 profiles makes sense :

Damn. Hard to argue with that.

pad300
02-20-2009, 11:41 AM

I'd change this slightly, although it doesn't really impact your conclusions.

The spurs have 3 active bigs beside Duncan (Bonner, Thomas and Oberto). To The Spurs have one open roster spot, which could either be used on a wing or a big. To sign a new big, he would have to have the potential to displace a big in the playoff rotation.

This means that the player signed would have to be better at the role of the player displaced, or bring a different skill set.

Nesterovic (if bought out), could probably displace both Oberto and Thomas in the good defener, relatively low offensive impact role.

Pops Mensa Bonsuh brings a different skill set - high energy rebounder, shot blocker, defender of perimeter PF's (he might even be athletic enough to defend large 3's, eg. Odom, Turkoglu ...)

Mikki Moore isn't better than Bonner. Really, he's not much more athletic, can be just as bad defensively, and doesn't shoot nearly as well... I don't see us picking up Moore.

The other interesting question is a two parter, are we going with a big or wing, or will we make space to do both. Given the minutes Udoka has played, and his expiring contract, might we just cut him to have another roster spot to play with? Either picking up 2 bigs (Pops and Nesterovic, maybe?), or a big and a wing (Nesterovic and White perhaps?)...

In the short term, I expect us to pick up PMB on a 10 day or two, while we wait to see who (other than Moore) is bought out...

Holt's Cat
02-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Joe Smith or bust. Besides likely being the best bigman available, I think he would fit this current version of the Spurs best. Pops Kunta-Kinte may eventually turn into something, but as anything other than the 5th big then the Spurs are going to have a short postseason. Mikki Moore would be nothing more than a 5th big.

If the Spurs are going to win a championship this year, it's going to be due to offensive execution and savvy more than anything else. If you are going to add to the frontcourt rotation at this point, you add experience.

EricB
02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Rasho >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joe smith

Holt's Cat
02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Radoslav? Meh. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose. I think Smith would be a better fit for this version of the Spurs.

EricB
02-20-2009, 11:59 AM
I think if your worried about interior defense and having a shotblocker to back up Bowen and what not, the best option if hes bought out is Rasho. Joe Smith is not a shotblocker nor a big man that can bang with Bynum downlow.

Joe Smith is nothing really. Pretty worthless. Plus Rasho has corporate knowledge and would plug and play quickly and without much disruption.

Holt's Cat
02-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Radoslav is no longer a shotblocking threat. You need a more agile and shrewd bigman playing next to Duncan.

Rasho is averaging three and a half boards in 20 minutes a night. That's pathetic. Smith is averaging something like 40% more in the same time and is blocking as many shots as Radoslav.

superbigtime
02-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Mikki Moore is horrible. He is physically incapable of rebounding the ball. Blocks? forget it!

Rasho may get bought out by the Pacers so they can develop Hibbert. Dude is definitely a better option than Moore and better for us than Smith. Can block, defend, rotate, and rebound. Knows the system and the personnel. Get Rasho.

Holt's Cat
The argument for Rasho is that he'd be better getting into position on both ends of the court. Still, you need better production. He'd basically just be a big body who can get into position. That would be somewhat useful, but you go with Smith over him.

mexicanjunior
I would prefer Smith or Moore but I think we will end up with Rasho if he is available. I really can't see him getting much playing time against smaller, quicker teams in the post season though. It would be 2005 all over again...

Supergirl
02-20-2009, 12:10 PM
True, but the guy they had at center on those other 2 championship teams was still way better than anything on the current Spurs roster that they're trying to pass off as a center.

The C that was responsible for helping them to their last championship was Oberto.

Holt's Cat
02-20-2009, 12:12 PM
I would prefer Smith or Moore but I think we will end up with Rasho if he is available. I really can't see him getting much playing time against smaller, quicker teams in the post season though. It would be 2005 all over again...

Exactly. Smith can stay on the court with TD longer than Radoslav can. Essentially Radoslav would be useful for the 8 minutes a night in the playoffs that TD rests, or against teams with two conventional bigs on the court.

mountainballer
02-20-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm a bit confused. Rash is constantly mentioned as an option, but I can't remember to have read that he is a buy out candidate.
if he in fact is one, it's ok to pick him up, if he wants. (people should remember that Spurs once traded him out of town. it's not that players usually like that, even if they always call it just business).
I assume we don't have a chance to get Smith, if he in fact is waived. he will join KG in Boston.
I think Mikki Moore is an interesting option. it's right that he might not be better than #5 in the rotation and so more or less not an upgrade at all. if there wasn't this one PO series with the Nets in 2007, when the Nets gave the Cavs a good fight. Mikki delivered great numbers on offense and but he also defended Gooden very well. ok, scoring against Gooden isn't the same like scoring against KG, but you still have to make something right to get a 15 PPG average in a PO series. I know, one decent PO series doesn't make a player (see James, Jerome), but it is still something to like. especially the fact that he did well on defense against a mobile PF tells that at least there is the ability to also play some useful defense against West, Odom, Amare, Dirk or whoever else we currently don't have a good cover for.
I say sign him, maybe he has another bright PO moment left in his tank.

Agloco
02-20-2009, 12:14 PM
The C that was responsible for helping them to their last championship was Oberto.

You wouldn't agree that he played a bit differently than he's playing now. Not the same guy. Same would apply to Horry from 2005 if we brought him back today.

mountainballer
02-20-2009, 12:16 PM

I guess people know this, but you would really claim that this years Fab is equal to the 2007 Fab? thats like claiming the 2009 Bruce Bowen is as good as the 2007 version. great if it was, but unfortunately not accurate.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 12:17 PM

But nowhere along that road did the Spurs have to deal with a frontcourt duo that can punish you in the paint like Bynum/Gasol can. It's a different western conference than it was two years ago.

dbestpro
02-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Moore does something the others do not do. He knows how to do the hustle.

Agloco
02-20-2009, 12:22 PM

Exactly. Smith can stay on the court with TD longer than Radoslav can. Essentially Radoslav would be useful for the 8 minutes a night in the playoffs that TD rests, or against teams with two conventional bigs on the court.

Yeah but who doesn't have size now? Both LA and Phoenix have drastically changed their complexions since then. Boston and Orlando have improved as well.....

Taking a look at all of the West playoff teams I don't see a single one without at least a decent inside presence. I could possibly exclude NO and Denver but that's it.

Supergirl
02-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I hadn't heard much speculation that Oberto had declined. I see him as very much following Horry and Duncan's lead -- pacing himself through the reg season and turning it up in the playoffs. That's what he did in 2007, I would hope he could do the same again in 2009. If he can't, we need an alternate third C.

Thomas is better defensively than anyone we're gonna pick up (I would argue he may even be better than Camby, at least he's tougher) and Bonner is better offensively than anyone we're gonna find. I am not quite convinced there's anyone available who's gonna be better than OBerto to be our 3rd, unless Oberto really has declined.

Which makes me think if we pick someone up off waivers, perhaps we should focus on finding another scorer.

Holt's Cat
02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah but who doesn't have size now? Both LA and Phoenix have drastically changed their complexions since then. Boston and Orlando have improved as well.....

Taking a look at all of the West playoff teams I don't see a single one without at least a decent inside presence. I could possibly exclude NO and Denver but that's it.

So aging Shaq gets to abuse aging Radoslav. The Spurs already have bigs who can dispense fouls. If the Spurs are going to win another title, it's going to be with more agility and guile up front.

Russ
02-20-2009, 12:53 PM
It's desperation time.

Anybody know the story with this guy Cheikh Samb? He's 7'1" and leads the D League in blocks with 3.89/game?

The thought of Matt Bonner running the floor with his rec league stride and that big smile against Bynum/Gasol is terrifying.

Cheikh Samb? Anybody know about him?

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't want Mikki Moore, he's a waste of a roster spot..I'd rather give Pops a try..

Joe Smith would be easily ahead of both, but I see him going to Boston or Cleveland..

Rasho would be perfect..not only would he be an upgrade over the other available options, but he would be a GOOD fit in general..I wouldn't be dissapointed at all if our trade deadline move ended up being Rasho Nesterovic..

I watched him a lot in TO, and I've watched him a little in Indiana, and he's much more consistent..the main difference, like others have said, is that he wouldn't be overpaid this time around..

Rasho won't play against quicker teams, but who gives a fuck? who are these quicker teams?..our main threat is LA, and we need the size to battle them..he's a 7 footer that takes other big men outside the paint..

underdawg
02-20-2009, 01:45 PM
It's desperation time.

Anybody know the story with this guy Cheikh Samb? He's 7'1" and leads the D League in blocks with 3.89/game?

The thought of Matt Bonner running the floor with his rec league stride and that big smile against Bynum/Gasol is terrifying.

Cheikh Samb? Anybody know about him?

still with the Clippers - right? I watched some of his games with LA when he was getting some PT and his defense is much less raw than his offense. he can run the court unlike Rasho.

TheProfessor
02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm a bit confused. Rash is constantly mentioned as an option, but I can't remember to have read that he is a buy out candidate.
if he in fact is one, it's ok to pick him up, if he wants. (people should remember that Spurs once traded him out of town. it's not that players usually like that, even if they always call it just business).
Best option for Rash (if he is waived) is getting back to a system he knows, to show he can still produce and better his market value. The Spurs valued his contributions, his contract was just too bloated.

Spur|n|Austin
02-20-2009, 01:52 PM
nobody

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 01:55 PM
The dilemma the Spurs have here is do you risk waiting for the guy who you think best fits the role to get bought out? Or do you go after anyone and everyone as they become available thus increasing your chances of being able to land someone? Sure would suck to wait for Rasho only to have him not get bought out or sign with someone else.

MoSpur
02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
I like Pops potential. I think he'd be a great energy guy off the bench. He reminds me of Malik when it comes to energy. However, I think he has more potential on the offensive side.

TheProfessor
02-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Bring Pops and Gist into training camp next year and let them battle it out for a roster spot. But let's see if we can get a more experienced frontcourt player for the playoff run.

PDXSpursFan
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
If waived, Rasho is the best available big man. PERIOD.. 7-footer, defensive minded, knows "The System" (do we still have that?).

pad300
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
The dilemma the Spurs have here is do you risk waiting for the guy who you think best fits the role to get bought out? Or do you go after anyone and everyone as they become available thus increasing your chances of being able to land someone? Sure would suck to wait for Rasho only to have him not get bought out or sign with someone else.

Sign Pops on 10 day contracts - he can have up to 3 with us before being guaranteed. If player X (Rasho or Smith) hasn't been waived by then, it's too late, as it will be past closing for playoff rosters...Then be patient. A 10 day contract can be cut at any time, so roster spot would be available if an upgrade is available.

Austin_Toros
02-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Smith!

I don't know how Pops will perform at NBA level.

MateoNeygro
02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
my best guess....robert horry. pop's not gonna bring in a d-league guy for the post season. We need someone with post season experience.

+1

MateoNeygro
02-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I think it's pretty simple. We have bigs who are slow, can't block a shot and are poor team defenders.

Either we try one of those options:
- Mikki might be a lil faster and might block a shot or 2
- Rasho is a good team defender and might block a shot or 2
- Pops is athletic and might block

Rasho has championship experience so he'd be my #1. Point is, any of these 3 guys might be worth a try because again, we have slow, non athletic bigs. Duncan needs help

I like Rasho alright, but he's slow as fuck. And never ever dunked the ball even if he was right under the rim by himself. I'm not obsessed with dunks but it woulda been nice if he'd thrown it down a little more.

Spurs Brazil
02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm going with Pops because I don't think Rasho will be waived

Fermixalot
02-20-2009, 03:47 PM

That's pretty dead on. I think Rasho is probably the best fit but I'm not sure about the terms he left on. I know it was more a salary dump with his big contract, but was he pissed about beinf traded?

Manufan909
02-20-2009, 03:50 PM
I like Rasho alright, but he's slow as fuck. And never ever dunked the ball even if he was right under the rim by himself. I'm not obsessed with dunks but it woulda been nice if he'd thrown it down a little more.

He's dunked some. Go the the rasho thread, there's a youtube with like 10 dunks... probably every dunk he had with the Spurs.:lol

Russ
02-20-2009, 07:34 PM
still with the Clippers - right? I watched some of his games with LA when he was getting some PT and his defense is much less raw than his offense. he can run the court unlike Rasho.

Cheikh Samb is a free agent now. He was released by the Clips on February 16.

underdawg
02-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Cheikh Samb is a free agent now. He was released by the Clips on February 16.

I think he's worth a shot - Smith would probably be better because of the experience factor, but this guy defends the paint. We don't need him to score, but just play D

Russ
02-20-2009, 09:04 PM
I think he's worth a shot - Smith would probably be better because of the experience factor, but this guy defends the paint. We don't need him to score, but just play D

He especially seems to like blocking Laker shots. :)

Especially Bynum. :toast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zm8I1LL5-c

underdawg
02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
He especially seems to like blocking Laker shots. :)

Especially Bynum. :toast

anybody can question his worth for the fact he was released by the Clippers, but I don't think he fit their system like he would ours. Detroit drafted him and he did well in the D-League before his jaw was broke. He's not as skinny as Ian and he seems to have a better awareness on D than him too.

Russ
02-20-2009, 09:15 PM
anybody can question his worth for the fact he was released by the Clippers, but I don't think he fit their system like he would ours. Detroit drafted him and he did well in the D-League before his jaw was broke. He's not as skinny as Ian and he seems to have a better awareness on D than him too.

No doubt he's flawed but he's available. If we can't get Rasho (or even Smith) he might be worth a look.

I'm biased toward athleticism and activity, especially against a quick team like the Lakers.

Just turn him loose, I would say (but Pop always wants these guys to master the Spurs' mentally challenging defensive scheme.)

underdawg
02-20-2009, 09:25 PM
No doubt he's flawed but he's available. If we can't get Rasho (or even Smith) he might be worth a look.

I'm biased toward athleticism and activity, especially against a quick team like the Lakers.

Just turn him loose, I would say (but Pop always wants these guys to master the Spurs' mentally challenging defensive scheme.)

That's true, but that's also why I wouldn't be too down on picking this guy up. Hill hasn't necessarily picked up the system yet, but because he has raw talent and length he has been able to help our effort. I think the same would be true for Samb - his athleticism and length give us something we don't have now (TD not incl) and I'm not sure that we would get that much of it with Smith (definitely not Rasho.)

freemeat
02-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Umm....so what happened in 2008?

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Sorry but i cant help but Lol @ Chiek Samb. Ian looks like Dwight Howard compared to him. He would have 3 fouls in 3 possessions trying to guard either Bynum or Gasol.

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Since Rasho is still with a team, im going to have to go with Mikki Moore. I would take Joe Smith over Moore, but he would have to be bought out first.

Rasho would be number 1 though.

Russ
02-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Sorry but i cant help but Lol @ Chiek Samb. Ian looks like Dwight Howard compared to him. He would have 3 fouls in 3 possessions trying to guard either Bynum or Gasol.

You didn't watch the video. :nope

underdawg
02-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Your perception fools you - Samb is easily 245 and Ian probably isn't quite 235. He doesn't really get that many fouls. He can rebound and he can block shots - in fact he averages .06 blocks per game in 4.8 minutes vs. Smith's .07 blocks in 19.4 minutes per game. Blocks are not everything, but protecting the paint is something we really need help. I know our perimeter defense is bad, but look at our opponents shooting percentage and how much of that is attributed to our weak spot in the paint. Does Smith or Rasho really address that?

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Your perception fools you - Samb is easily 245 and Ian probably isn't quite 235. He doesn't really get that many fouls. He can rebound and he can block shots - in fact he averages .06 blocks per game in 4.8 minutes vs. Smith's .07 blocks in 19.4 minutes per game. Blocks are not everything, but protecting the paint is something we really need help. I know our perimeter defense is bad, but look at our opponents shooting percentage and how much of that is attributed to our weak spot in the paint. Does Smith or Rasho really address that?

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/images/cheik-samb-comparison.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0417/page2_snyder2_200.jpg

Who do you think will get moved easier in the low block, or scored on easier? I doubt Samb is 245. He may way a bit more than Ian, but hes also about 2 or 3 inches taller. Ian is easily the bulkier of the two.

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Actually let me edit that pic thats way to big, and in defense to you it might be a little old since Amir is in the background with corn rows.

underdawg
02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Actually let me edit that pic thats way to big, and in defense to you it might be a little old since Amir is in the background with corn rows.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2009/01/05/samb_cheikh_courtesy_260.jpg

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
You didn't watch the video. :nope

Ive seen that video many times. Nice block. It would take years for him to be able to play minutes at the NBA level, especially on a contender. he has too many other flaws in his game.

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 10:29 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2009/01/05/samb_cheikh_courtesy_260.jpg

Hes put on some size thats for sure. No doubt hes a better shot blocker than Ian, but i still think Ian is currently better equiped to defend at the NBA level, he looks alot stronger, even through his legs, which use to be sticks. Plus Samb is 25 this year so its not like hes real young.

Hes interesting, but i cant see him being anything more than a 5-10 MPG guy for at least another year or two, on any team, let alone a contender.

underdawg
02-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Ive seen that video many times. Nice block. It would take years for him to be able to play minutes at the NBA level, especially on a contender. he has too many other flaws in his game.

of course he has flaws - that's why he's been traded and released, but what flaws does he have that keeps him from helping us?

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 10:38 PM
of course he has flaws - that's why he's been traded and released, but what flaws does he have that keeps him from helping us?

I dont think he would be able to guard anyone in the post. He plays basketball because hes tall, so its tough to say what sort of IQ he would have, or if he could pick up any sets or get rotations right. And the Spurs would be playing 4-5 on Offense.

I just dont see his positive, being able to overcome all of his negatives to the point he can be a contributor. Maybe down the road he will be a player, but since we have Mahinmi, whos a far better player already, and 2 years younger, i dont see the need to sign another project.

Old School 44
02-20-2009, 10:46 PM
No to Mikki Moore, I just don't think his game fits the Spurs.
Pops, too confusing. There is only room for one Pop on our team. :lol

Seriously, I like Rasho if available. Like others have said he would slide right in.

underdawg
02-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I dont think he would be able to guard anyone in the post. He plays basketball because hes tall, so its tough to say what sort of IQ he would have, or if he could pick up any sets or get rotations right. And the Spurs would be playing 4-5 on Offense.

I just dont see his positive, being able to overcome all of his negatives to the point he can be a contributor. Maybe down the road he will be a player, but since we have Mahinmi, whos a far better player already, and 2 years younger, i dont see the need to sign another project.

Thing is - we don't have Ian this year and it isn't like Samb would replace him. I have to be honest - the only game I watched where Samb had significant minutes was against OKC and he did a pretty good job against Collison and Krstic. He'll get pushed around, but he has the length to alter or stop shots - kinda like Camby (nowhere near Camby's talent.)

Russ
02-20-2009, 10:51 PM
New Rules: If you think Samb isn't physical enough, you are precluded from calling for Mikki Moore on the Spurs.

Mikki Moore is completely worthless IMO. Elson>>>>>>Moore.

Also, if you think Samb is too dumb, you are precluded from calling for Mikki Moore on the Spurs. Mikki Moore is dumber than a rock.

mystargtr34
02-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Thing is - we don't have Ian this year and it isn't like Samb would replace him. I have to be honest - the only game I watched where Samb had significant minutes was against OKC and he did a pretty good job against Collison and Krstic. He'll get pushed around, but he has the length to alter or stop shots - kinda like Camby (nowhere near Camby's talent.)

I agree he has some potential, and he could be a player down the road, hes shown glimpses. I just think the Spurs need someone who can contribute now, without all the flaws.

duncan228
02-21-2009, 12:52 AM
From Ian Thomsen's Weekly Countdown (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/02/20/weekly.countdown/1.html)on SI.com.

2 Potential buyout signees

2. Mikki Moore. The 33-year-old 7-footer averaged 9.8 points and 5.1 rebounds with New Jersey two years ago, and last year gave Sacramento 8.5 and 6.0. He was bought out by the Kings on Thursday. He could wind up in Boston, especially if the Celtics fail to land ...

1. Joe Smith. The ultimate teammate, well-liked by players and coaches alike, the 6-10 former No. 1 pick is coveted by Boston (where he has a close friend in Garnett), Cleveland (for whom he played against the Celtics last postseason) and San Antonio. The 33-year-old Smith has yet to be bought out, but he'll likely be making jump shots, rebounding and defending for some title contender this spring.

wisnub
02-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Pop is good...i live in LA so i saw how Mikki play back in his Clippers days. He can be our 3rd C. Mikki really is an energy doghouse...he'll do anything for the team,including fighting....he will sock KG face for sure :P

duncan228
02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Thunder notebook: Joe Smith: ‘I’m not seeking a buyout’ (http://newsok.com/thunder-notebook-joe-smith-im-not-seeking-a-buyout/article/3347532)

Smith: ‘I’m not seeking a buyout’

One day after watching the trading deadline pass without seeing his name attached to a deal, Thunder forward Joe Smith said he is not seeking a buyout of his contract, contrary to media reports.

"What for?” Smith asked before Friday night’s game against Phoenix. "I’ve been here all year. Why would I want to do that now? I’m (not) seeking it.”

The 33-year-old Smith, who is in his 14th NBA season, quelled any theories that he hopes the Thunder agrees to a buyout so he can join a title contender and have a shot at a championship before the end of his playing days.

"A lot of people assume that when you reach a certain amount of years in the league that you always want to seek a title,” Smith said. "It’s (not) just me. It’s been like that for a lot of veterans that have been around.

"Like I’ve said all year long, I like these young guys around here. We’ve developed some type of chemistry now where I got faith in them and they got faith in me. The way we’ve been playing lately, it’s been a good thing.”

Smith said he hasn’t talked to his agent, Dan Fegan, about a buyout. Fegan has not returned several phone messages seeking comment. Thunder general manager Sam Presti said he also hasn’t spoken with Smith’s representatives but said he values Smith’s place on the roster.

"If it comes up I’ll listen to what they have to say, but that’s standard,” Presti said. "That’s part of my job. I think Joe brings great value to our team, and he’s someone that has done a nice job for us this year. So we definitely have interest in him and continue to value him.”