PDA

View Full Version : "It's not about the W, it's about the D."

dbestpro
02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
As nice as it was to see the Spurs get back on their winning ways it was even more nice too see them play the type of perimeter defense that they are capable of playing in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters. Getting back to the basics and staying with the "D" first approach actually can put the Spurs over the top more than any savior acquisition.

xtremesteven33
02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Good D from the Spurs and REALLY bad O from the Pistons.

Flux451
02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Also, really bad O from the Spurs.

Ugly game

dbestpro
02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Ugly games are the king of games we can win particularly come playoff time. Most of Detroit's shots were contested which in turn caused their offense to sputter. The tendency to play more aggressive defense also seemed to attract less whistles for the game overall as they kind of "let them play" in the second half.

George Gervin's Afro
02-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I agree that our defense is not so good. When we won previously our MO was to play lockdown D. If our shots weren't falling we could always keep the game within reach. This year? When our shots don't fall we get blown out. I remember watching other teams in previous years thinking they had not shot to win in the playoffs because they were jump shooting teams with mediocre defenses. When their shots weren't falling they couldn't stop anyone.... We now have one of those teams.. Should I be looking for a brighter side?

FromWayDowntown
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Is this something that Pop or one of the players said?

With Manu out and the West as tight as it is, I'll take W's in whatever form they come. But improvements on the defensive end are welcome. I'm not sure that last night was evidence of that -- the Pistons' offense was pretty abysmal with plenty of clanged open jumpers -- but the overall trend has generally been towards better defensive metrics, which is a good sign.

EricB
02-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Is this something that Pop or one of the players said?

With Manu out and the West as tight as it is, I'll take W's in whatever form they come. But improvements on the defensive end are welcome. I'm not sure that last night was evidence of that -- the Pistons' offense was pretty abysmal with plenty of clanged open jumpers -- but the overall trend has generally been towards better defensive metrics, which is a good sign.

Yeah the fundamentals and rotations are getting better and I think the results will follow.

If they can sign a Rasho Nesterovic who can be that presence down low, i think things will improve even more.