PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudemire could miss 8 weeks

Taco
02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3921500

Friday, February 20, 2009
Suns: Stoudemire could miss 8 weeks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

A day after deciding to let the trade deadline pass without making a major money-saving move, the inactivity seemingly has turned incredibly costly for the Phoenix Suns.

The beleaguered Suns announced Friday that Amare Stoudemire was forced to undergo eye surgery to repair a partially detached retina suffered in a Wednesday night rout of the Los Angeles Clippers. It is Stoudemire's second eye injury since October and the All-Star forward could miss the rest of the regular season.

Stoudemire's return to physical activity has been estimated at eight weeks by the Suns. He underwent surgery Friday morning, although the club said in a statement that "recovery varies on a case-by-case basis."

The Suns were just starting to feel a sense of optimism about salvaging something from this painful season after replacing coach Terry Porter with Alvin Gentry on Monday, ringing up 280 points in back-to-back victories over the Clippers and getting the go-ahead Thursday from owner Robert Sarver to keep hold of Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal after shopping both this month in an attempt to significantly reduce Sarver's payroll.

But the injury suffered by Stoudemire when he was poked in the eye during his 42-point game against the Clippers means the Suns will have to try to make the playoffs without him, which was not going to be easy even with a healthy Stoudemire. The Suns awoke Friday as the West's No. 9 team in an eight-team race with a record of 30-23, one game short of the eighth spot.

Stoudemire suffered a partially torn iris early in training camp in October after being inadvertently poked in the eye by then-teammate Boris Diaw. Stoudemire suffered no damage to the retina or cornea at that time, but said he would likely wear protective goggles for the rest of his career to keep his eyes safe. But Stoudemire didn't stay with the goggles long, saying they compromised his on-court comfort level.

"We are very glad to hear that Amare should have a 100 percent recovery relative to his vision and his long-term prognosis is excellent," Suns president Steve Kerr said in a statement after Stoudemire had surgery.

"Obviously, it is very disappointing to lose him at this time. We are all very excited about the progress the team is making, but Amare's health and the health of all our players is our No. 1 concern."

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Man, that team is Kerrsed.

TDomination
02-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I just heard on the radio he is done for the year.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Oops.

DBMethos
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Sad to hear that about Amare, but LOL Suns.

completely deck
02-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Wrong forum, has nothing to do with Spurs.

That's gotta hurt though.

1Parker1
02-20-2009, 12:42 PM

:lmao

FromWayDowntown
02-20-2009, 12:42 PM

My belief in karma tells me that laughing at this the way I'd like to is a bad idea. . . .

TDMVPDPOY
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
didnt he had lasik surgery in 06.....now this, lame....hope for the best of his health

Dex
02-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow, hadn't even heard about this.

Alvin Gentry better be able to fart magic tricks, or there is no way that team is moving up in the standings.

toki9
02-20-2009, 12:46 PM
That's awful news. Hope he recovers soon.

mytespurs
02-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Sad to hear that about Amare, but LOL Suns.

that's too bad...just when they seemed to be getting back to the suns of old.:(

I wouldn't be so quick to chuckle at another teams misfortunes considering we almost lost Manu for the year.

MoSpur
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Wow. This is odd. I wonder how this will affect them when it comes to playoff seeding.

crc21209
02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Wow, thats a BIG blow to the Suns, I wonder if they would've traded him if the other team wouldve found out and then voided it. Well scratch the Suns on moving up anywhere in the standings the rest of the yr.

superbigtime
02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Dang that is rough. Sorry Suns fans. They are screwed.

TDMVPDPOY
02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Wow. This is odd. I wonder how this will affect them when it comes to playoff seeding.

lol shouldve kept diaw and bell.....too bad

EricB
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Amare has eye issues theres no question.

I forgot what the problem was, but did he not have a problem with his eyes at the beginning of the year forcing him to wear the oakley goggles?

Speedy recovery to Amare, this is a career threatening injury.

tmtcsc
02-20-2009, 12:57 PM

Good one. Kerrsed.

byrdman31
02-20-2009, 01:01 PM

:lol i bet they couldn't SEE that coming..

benefactor
02-20-2009, 01:01 PM
This is probably the worst injury an athlete could get. I bet it is incredibly frustrating to be physically able to play by you can't see. Get well soon Amare.

02-20-2009, 01:02 PM
should have worn those goggles.

EricB
02-20-2009, 01:04 PM
This is probably the worst injury an athlete could get. I bet it is incredibly frustrating to be physically able to play by you can't see. Get well soon Amare.

Yeah, the Suns better cross their collective fingers.

This ended a very famous hockey player's career after getting it fixed, and sight was never the same.

Prayers to Amare.

Cane
02-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Really sucks to be a Suns fan but at least Shaq can get more touches now. I bet Terry Porter is a newfound follower of karma now (not against Amare directly persay but against the Suns organization).

Without Amare, the run and gun play won't be anywhere near as effective.

EricB
02-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Pipe dream

Shaq gets bought out, Suns wanting to now tank the season,
Spurs offer up the rest of the MLE to him hoping playing next to Duncan would be enough persuasion to get him to SA.. :stirpot:

FromWayDowntown
02-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I do hope that Amare will recover fully from this and be back at full strength soon. As much as we tease Suns fans about the Spurs/Suns results through the years, two things are absolutely true: (1) the teams have played a lot of great games featuring a lot of great athletes and, as fans, we're blessed to have seen that; and (2) none of it would have been anywhere nearly as intriguing without Amare's freakish athleticism. Here's hoping his recovery is swift and complete and basketball fans will soon see Amare back in form.

EricB
02-20-2009, 01:09 PM
I do hope that Amare will recover fully from this and be back at full strength soon. As much as we tease Suns fans about the Spurs/Suns results through the years, two things are absolutely true: (1) the teams have played a lot of great games featuring a lot of great athletes and, as fans, we're blessed to have seen that; and (2) none of it would have been anywhere nearly as intriguing without Amare's freakish athleticism. Here's hoping his recovery is swift and complete and basketball fans will soon see Amare back in form.

Well said.

Stoudamire's play in that 2005 Western Finals was nothing short of amazing.

Flux451
02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
that sucks. lottery?

Hemotivo
02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
:lol i bet they couldn't SEE that coming..

please :blah:lol

jman3000
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
This is bad. They'll get a lottery pick, and with the crazy way the ball bounces, they might get a pretty good pick. Just when they were getting old, they'll be able to infuse some youth.

Brazil
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Xylus welcome to the spurs fans bandwagon.

Sucks for the suns.

EricB
02-20-2009, 01:12 PM
This is bad. They'll get a lottery pick, and with the crazy way the ball bounces, they might get a pretty good pick. Just when they were getting old, they'll be able to infuse some youth.

Unfortunately its in a down lottery year and they have more holes than 1 to fill.

Suns really need to think about blowing it up this offseason. Would be a perfect year to do it.

EricB
02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
that sucks. lottery?

Yeah, they lose their top scorer and don't really have a replacement for him.

Steve Nash has got to be depressed.

gwidlon
02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Oh man, now I want Tim,Tony and Manu to use goggles , just in case ...

ElNono
02-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I sincerely wish Amare the best of luck. A close person to me had both retinas detached due to a immunodeficiency disease. She completely lost vision on one of her eyes during the surgery, and luckily the doctors could save the vision on her other eye.

200 miles
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah, the Suns better cross their collective fingers.

This ended a very famous hockey player's career after getting it fixed, and sight was never the same.

Prayers to Amare.

Are you talking about Bryan Berard by any chance?

smeagol
02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Hope he gets well soon.

Taco
02-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Wrong forum, has nothing to do with Spurs.

:lol

SURE IT DOES, STEVE KERR SUNS GM (EX SPUR)

FIRED COACH TERRY PORTER (ONE TIME SPUR)

SUNS WERE TRYING TO PLAY DEFENSE LIKE THE SPURS

WE ALL HATE SARVER.

THE SUNS HAVE BEEN ONE OF OUR BIGGEST RIVALS THE PAST FEW YEARS

:downspin:

:flag:

Old School 44
02-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Yes...get well soon Amare!

The injuries this year are just crazy.
I can't recall a year when so many key players went down.

Mugen
02-20-2009, 01:45 PM
man this year really sucks with all the injuries.

hope its not career threatening for amare.

Spurminator
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Louis Amundsen, it is your time to shine!

hater
02-20-2009, 01:53 PM
feel sorry for Amare. For Sun fans? not so much...

Agloco
02-20-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/original/sunset.jpghttp://www.arizona-leisure.com/gfx/sunset-crater.jpg

hater
02-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Garnett is also going to Boston for an MRI.

the whole NBA is kerrsed

lefty
02-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Nice :tu

Mavs<Spurs
02-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Suns fans.

Good news is that Shaq is playing the best ball in the last 5 years.

Without a trade, we're not going deep in the playoffs either if that makes you guys feel any better.

Best wishes.

Mavs<Spurs
02-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Garnett is also going to Boston for an MRI.

the whole NBA is kerrsed

yeah. Hopefully it's nothing bad and KG will be back soon at full health.

Without KG, obviously, the Celtics are a second tier team.

I know probably some/many Spurs fans here may not be big fans of KG and may not agree with me here, but my opinion is that KG is a class act. He's done a lot of good for a lot of people !

So, I really hope that KG comes back full strength really soon.

Best wishes to KG and to Celtic fans on this.

hater
02-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Fuck KG.

spurtech09
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
best wishes to amare....hope everything goes well for you

urunobili
02-20-2009, 02:14 PM
GWS Amare

Texas_Ranger
02-20-2009, 02:14 PM
get well soon Amare...but fuck you Suns!

NFGIII
02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Too bad about the injury to Amare. He is a freak of nature and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Over the next couple of weeks the Suns can see where they might end up concerning the POs and either go for it or tank... I mean experiment with new lineups/plays/tactics as they figure out how to play without Amare. They are going to have to do that anyway so if they end up in the lottery that might be a better outcome for them then getting into the POs. They desparately need help and the lottery seems to be more possible than prior to the injury. If they choose to "tank" then they have a built in excuse as to why they are losing. No Amare! Nobody can accuse them of tanking!

Right? I mean a stud on your team goes down and is out for the season which leads to your team having a losing year and getting into the lottery. Said team wins lottery and drafts a future HOF. No way that couldn't happen? Right?

Sounds way too improbable to me.

Xylus
02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

WHY GOD?! WHY?!

Rapper
02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
wrong forum, has nothing to do with spurs.

+1

duncan228
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

WHY GOD?! WHY?!

I hate seeing any player get injured. I wish Amare and Xylus the best.

EricB
02-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Are you talking about Bryan Berard by any chance?

I wasn't but hes another good example as well.

I was speaking of Al Macinnis, great defenseman for my St Louis Blues.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Amare has eye issues theres no question.

I forgot what the problem was, but did he not have a problem with his eyes at the beginning of the year forcing him to wear the oakley goggles?

Speedy recovery to Amare, this is a career threatening injury.

Yeah he did Diaw poked him in the eye because Diaw's a lazy fuck.

Spursfan092120
02-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I feel bad for Amare..God, I don't know what I'd do if something happened to my eyes...that's horrible. Get well soon Amare..at the same time, Where's SPORK KILLER?! I wonder if he'll still talk trash. Hmmm...Well, at any rate, I hope Amare gets better soon, and Xylus...buck up...you'll get in the lottery now, and get younger, like you guys wanted to anyway.

leemajors
02-20-2009, 03:03 PM
don't care for him, but that really sucks. hope he recovers quickly.

MateoNeygro
02-20-2009, 03:08 PM
That sucks for Amare, the Suns, their fans, and the NBA. Get well soon Amare. As much as I dislike Suns and their fans. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Except maybe Kobe. haha jp.

Spurs Brazil
02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
That sucks
A lot of big west players out due injury

T-Mac
Amare
Manu
Chandler
Bynum
Terry
Boozer

Texas_Ranger
02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
That sucks
A lot of big west players out due injury

T-Mac
Amare
Manu
Chandler
Bynum
Terry
Boozer

yea...we can add Al Jefferson to this list.

chreph
02-20-2009, 03:35 PM
That really sucks and I hope he gets better quickly. I don't take joy in any* opposing player's injury and enjoyed watching him play basketball. I'm just thankful this didn't happen while they were playing the Spurs... could you imagine? :wow

*kg does test that stance, though

Manufan909
02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Pipe dream

Shaq gets bought out, Suns wanting to now tank the season,
Spurs offer up the rest of the MLE to him hoping playing next to Duncan would be enough persuasion to get him to SA.. :stirpot:

That would be a hell of alot more awesome than getting Rasho.:toast

ducks
02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
+1

they are 9 seed
if they moved up to 7 seed they face spurs
IDIOT

MarHill
02-20-2009, 04:54 PM
that's awful news. Hope he recovers soon.

+1

kev
02-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Is it too soon to joke?

Regarding your post yesterday concerning Manu's injury: Karma.

This might not have happened if Manu believed in God...

:stirpot:

This might not have happened if Amare didn't play for a Kerrsed franchise...

:lobt2:

Ghazi
02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
:lol

SURE IT DOES, STEVE KERR SUNS GM (EX SPUR)

FIRED COACH TERRY PORTER (ONE TIME SPUR)

SUNS WERE TRYING TO PLAY DEFENSE LIKE THE SPURS

WE ALL HATE SARVER.

THE SUNS HAVE BEEN ONE OF OUR BIGGEST RIVALS THE PAST FEW YEARS

:downspin:

:flag:

You should get down on your knees and suck Sarvers dick.

Xylus
02-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Regarding your post yesterday concerning Manu's injury: Karma.

This might not have happened if Amare didn't play for a Kerrsed franchise...

:lobt2:

It might be Karma if such a thing existed. But even if it did, my joke was meant to be light-hearted, to raise spirits, not to stomp on the downtrodden. :toast

quentin_compson
02-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Let's hope that Stoudemire gets well soon, but as far as the Spurs are concerned, I don't care. They would beat the Suns, with or without Amare.