PDA

View Full Version : Mason can't slash.

MateoNeygro
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Mason is a great shooter and all, but other than his circus lay up last night in Detroit. I don't think I've ever seen him take the ball to the hoop. I know that isn't his game but is he that bad at it??

ManuTP9
02-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Mason is a great shooter and all, but other than his circus lay up last night in Detroit. I don't think I've ever seen him take the ball to the hoop. I know that isn't his game but is he that bad at it??

not sure about that but he has horrible ball handling skills for sure.

crc21209
02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Well at least he can bring the ball up the court lol. As far as slashing, he had two drives with successful finishes last night, better than other nights where he had 0 so thats good.

MoSpur
02-20-2009, 03:47 PM
He has bad handles. He turns the ball over too much. He can drive, but that's only on occasion. Slashing is certainly a weakness of his.

coyotes_geek
02-20-2009, 03:48 PM
If Mason could slash and be able to shoot like he can he'd be off elsewhere making way more money than what we're paying him.

urunobili
02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Second game of the season... wide open layup FTW... instead... pass to Fin who missed an 8 feet bunny at the buzzer... :pctoss

FromWayDowntown
02-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Ironically, Mason's a much more effective shooter when he's picking up after a dribble as opposed to being made to catch-and-shoot.

SenorSpur
02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I wish Mason, Manu and every other guard would quit attempting that "drop off" pass for Duncan. This is the one where they leave it for him around his knees. It appears as though opponents are sitting on that pass and it almost always gets stolen.

xtremesteven33
02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Mason kinda let me down as far as his ball handles go. He seems to get ripped alot and turnover the ball alot. He also IS pretty bad at finishing at the rim.

But as long as he keeps hitting clutch shots. We will overlook all his faults.

stéphane
Mason is an extraordinary role player.
And yes he's extraordinary but he's a role player and some people tend to hype him forgeting that.
That being said I'll take his inability to slash everyday of the f**** year for the bargain he's costing us.

Manufan909
Half his makes were layups last night, but he can't consistently lay it up, he doesn't have enough ball control.

hater
02-20-2009, 04:07 PM
:rolleyes Mason is overachieving this season. NOBODY, except mason himself, expected this kind of production from him.

he is clearly the 4th best player in the spurs. clearly. not even close.

Yeah he has a few things to improve, but I don't think we should even mention them this season.

MateoNeygro
02-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Half his makes were layups last night, but he can't consistently lay it up, he doesn't have enough ball control.

Really?? I watched the game and I only remember that crazy ass circus layup where he wasn't even lookin at the rim.

MateoNeygro
02-20-2009, 04:19 PM
:rolleyes Mason is overachieving this season. NOBODY, except mason himself, expected this kind of production from him.

Yeah he has a few things to improve, but I don't think we should even mention them this season.

My intention wasn't to bash Mason I love having him.

stéphane
02-20-2009, 04:28 PM
My intention wasn't to bash Mason I love having him.

If I were you and that my intentions weren't to bash him I wouldn't have used such a thread title. A polite way to say what I think :rolleyes

lefty
02-20-2009, 04:30 PM
WGAF

He is CLUTCH

MoSpur
02-20-2009, 04:32 PM
I only remember two or three layups by Mason. I am not trying to bash him even though it may seem like it. Its just the truth though. He doesn't slash because he's not that good at handling the ball.

Good point brought up by FWDT about him shooting off the dribble.

urunobili
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
i don't get where all that misconception that Mase is not a good ball handler.. he freaking plays PG as well!!!! he handles the rock probably better than JV

Flux451
02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Duncan can't shoot free throws.

Bowen lays up with his left hand.

Bonner can't dribble.

stéphane
02-20-2009, 04:42 PM

That reminded me Kevin Durant during the All Star HORSE. He went for a left handed lay up and just hit the bottom of the board. :lmao

MarHill
02-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I wish Mason, Manu and every other guard would quit attempting that "drop off" pass for Duncan. This is the one where they leave it for him around his knees. It appears as though opponents are sitting on that pass and it almost always gets stolen.

Thanks, Senor Spur for mentioning that!!

I hate when they do that. Duncan has great hands...but he is 6'11 and you can't throw the ball at his knees especially when the defender has an angle in the passing lane.

:bang

I thought Mason would to be able slash more than he could. But, it's not a strength of his!!

As long as he catch-and-shoot and make clutch shots...I'm alright with that!!

Manufan909
02-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Really?? I watched the game and I only remember that crazy ass circus layup where he wasn't even lookin at the rim.

His 1st layup was TP style, he cut through at least 2 Pistons.

Austin_Toros
02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2r47ijd.jpg

good enough?

:flag:

nkdlunch
02-20-2009, 05:30 PM
that ain't no circus shot

mexicanjunior
02-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Mason has a very high dribble and seems to lose control of it in traffic. Bringing the ball up the court and sheilding himself from the defender he seems to handle ok but his ball fake drives are always an adventure. I would prefer him to master the floater in the line (like Parker) instead of taking it all the way for a contested layup...

02-20-2009, 06:19 PM
i think he tries to do much. he should not be doing crossovers, it should just be a straight up right drive with an easy layup. recognizing an open path to drive would be beneficial. he definitely should diversify his offensive game to prevent defenders from constantly crowding him and forcing him to take contested jump shots.

Solid D
02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
that ain't no circus shot

It was pretty wacky and it did go in. He wasn't able to see the rim when he put it up. It's the kind of shot guys chirp "luck!" to... on the way back down the court.

HarlemHeat37
02-20-2009, 07:04 PM
what did you guys expect from Mason? like coyote said, if Mason could slash, we wouldn't be able to afford him right now..

Mason is a lights out shooter when his feet are set..he's one of the best players in the NBA at playing off screens..he has the ability to make shots from different forms of his shot..he's a shooter, that's what we expected..

he's a poor passer, currently a below average defender(he was above average at the beginning of the season), and has poor handles..

he's a pure streak shooter..

I can't really ask for more from Mason..the only problems I have with him, is that he takes questionable shots at times..

superbigtime
02-20-2009, 09:16 PM

Amen brother! I frickin hate that!!!! Let's just make it harder on Timmy and pass it to his ankles! Finley - guilty. Mason - guilty. GH - NOT guilty.

superbigtime
02-20-2009, 09:17 PM
what did you guys expect from Mason? like coyote said, if Mason could slash, we wouldn't be able to afford him right now..

Mason is a lights out shooter when his feet are set..he's one of the best players in the NBA at playing off screens..he has the ability to make shots from different forms of his shot..he's a shooter, that's what we expected..

he's a poor passer, currently a below average defender(he was above average at the beginning of the season), and has poor handles..

he's a pure streak shooter..

I can't really ask for more from Mason..the only problems I have with him, is that he takes questionable shots at times..

I agree his defense is less than par. He reminds me of Finley, and that's not good. Finley has made plenty game winning shots, so at least it's good that Mase reminds me of Fin in that way.

raspsa
02-20-2009, 09:19 PM
He should continue to diversify his game. Evnually, he may commit less errors. He's a great FT shooter so he should learn to create contact when driving to the hoop, something he can learn from manu and Tony. He's not athletic enough to overpower most defenders but he can definitely create contact and get to the line. He's also admitted that making jumpshots come easier for him after he's handled the ball and gotten into a shooting rhythm.

MateoNeygro
02-20-2009, 09:37 PM
If I were you and that my intentions weren't to bash him I wouldn't have used such a thread title. A polite way to say what I think :rolleyes

If I were you I'd punch myself in the face. haha jp. But he can't slash I'm just being honest. What should I have said?? I mean I gave him props for his shooting and such.

MateoNeygro
02-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Duncan can't shoot free throws.

Bonner can't dribble.

Very constuctive thanks for your wisdom.

intlspurshk
02-20-2009, 11:41 PM
That's why SPURS need to play Malik Hairston

Ditty
02-21-2009, 02:30 AM
if he could drive he would be as good as ray allen

holcs50
02-21-2009, 05:48 AM
yea this is true. Mason is not very good at taking it to the hole-he doesn't have the natural quickness or craftiness of a good driver. Like when manu is healthy he has it. Most of the time mase is a one or two dribble guy and pull up jumper or set shot. Like some said if he was a good driver he would be a top player, not a role player. If manu doesn't come back healthy we really only have one efficient driver and thats tp. Driving does so much also for getting other players shot as well as defenders not being able to play u one way or another. Having both an outside shot and driving skills is a combo that is reserved for all stars. With that said, if mason can work on his quickness using plyometrics and his ball control he could improve his game quite a bit. Tho he never will be an efficient driver. I miss Sjax soo much,ha. Love that guys game-if we somehow never lost him we'd have prob 2 more rings. Hes like the perfect guy for what we need. well, besides that big problem.

HarlemHeat37
02-21-2009, 06:37 AM
well George Hill has shown that he's very good at taking it inside..the problem is that he doesn't look to drive very often..usually when he gets in the game, he looks to defer..

it would be nice to have Tony, Manu, AND Hill driving in games..

holcs50
02-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Yep about George...He will when he gets more experience, confidence and pops leash off of him. You know pops prob on him all the time like he was tony when young-now hes more looking to play good d and take an occasional stop. I think tho in the future he has the ability to def be a good slasher.

urunobili
02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
bump

Hemotivo
02-24-2009, 09:11 PM
against the mavs even urunobili can "slash"

:toast

MateoNeygro
02-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Ever since I started this thread I've noticed far more drives to the hoop, he has two so far against the Mavs. I think his game is evolving throughout the season. He's realizing an up-fake will get the guys in the air because of his shooting. It's workin and I couldn't be happier.

spurspokesman
02-25-2009, 08:29 AM

I did. And I was called stupid when I told some of my people here that he would be A beast for the spurs. And about his ball handling. Its not the greatest and its not the worst. And thats what we have hill parker and ginobilli for. He is here to punish teams from deep work the kickout and make open shots. And unless my eyes have failed me thats what he has done. The same thing he did in washington.

BestPFInTheGame21
02-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Handles and slashing are two different things...Mason def had handles...which is why pop lets him bring it up...

Now, slashing through traffic? nooooo

bigfan
02-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey, Im not concerned with what then guy can't do right now, Im more than happy with what he can do (and has done) this season. He's the steal of the offseason, why bitch?

rascal
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
The Spurs have very few players with the ability to attack the rim.

Dex
02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
If Mason is truly committed to improving over the summer, and focuses on his ability to penetrate and finish, and his defense...he could possibly break into AllStar level.

rascal
02-25-2009, 12:35 PM
If Mason is truly committed to improving over the summer, and focuses on his ability to penetrate and finish, and his defense...he could possibly break into AllStar level.

I don't see Mason improving much but Hill has more potential to improve into all star level.

sribb43
02-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Ever since I started this thread I've noticed far more drives to the hoop, he has two so far against the Mavs. I think his game is evolving throughout the season. He's realizing an up-fake will get the guys in the air because of his shooting. It's workin and I couldn't be happier.

He blew by Matt Carroll twice :rolleyes...his best move is an pump fake/escape dribble and pull up for the J