PDA

View Full Version : Rick Barry ... Checks In With Thoughts On The Trail Blazers

duncan228
02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Rick Barry ... checks in with thoughts on the Trail Blazers (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/02/rick_barry_checks_in_with_thou.html)
by John Canzano, The Oregonian

Rick Barry carried an ordinary Golden State team to the 1975 NBA championship.12-time All-Star Rick Barry called into the BFT (95.5-FM) on Thursday. He was gold, as usual. We talked Blazers, the NBA, fundamentals and how his lack of tact may factor in why he's not anywhere near any of the league's teams.

You can download the interview on the most requested section of the baldfacedtruth.com (http://www.thebaldfacedtruth.com/archives/) archive page.

Some of the highlights:

On why he isn't coaching in the NBA: "People don't like the hear the truth all the time. People ask you questions, but they don't necessarily want to hear the answer."

On Vince Carter trade rumors as a possible Blazer: "That would have been absurd."

On what's wrong with the NBA: "... the problem isn't the league itself, it's the game itself. We're not teaching young people how to play the game anymore... if you're an incredible athlete and have very little skill, you can get to the NBA."

On LeBron James: "... one of the greatest talents I've ever seen in my life... I mean, I think this guy is amazing... but he has a major flaw in his shot. How can a guy five years into the NBA have a major shooting flaw in his game? That's inexcuseable to me."

On what makes the difference between good players and great ones: "I can teach you to pass, I can't teach you to see.... I can go watch a player play for one half of a college basketball game and I can tell you whether he'll be a great player... you look for that little natural feel for the game... the great players have it... and it can't be taught."

lefty
02-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Well, he has a lot of good points

JoeTait75
02-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Well, he has a lot of good points

He really does. It's kind of a shame nobody seems to like the man.

lefty
02-21-2009, 01:43 AM
HE was a great player, and all of his sons were pretty damn good too. Maybe some team might take that as a fucking clue.

I wasn't impressed with Drew Barry though

m33p0
02-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Rick Barry ... checks in with thoughts on the Trail Blazers (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/02/rick_barry_checks_in_with_thou.html)
by John Canzano, The Oregonian

Rick Barry carried an ordinary Golden State team to the 1975 NBA championship.12-time All-Star Rick Barry called into the BFT (95.5-FM) on Thursday. He was gold, as usual. We talked Blazers, the NBA, fundamentals and how his lack of tact may factor in why he's not anywhere near any of the league's teams.

You can download the interview on the most requested section of the baldfacedtruth.com (http://www.thebaldfacedtruth.com/archives/) archive page.

Some of the highlights:

On why he isn't coaching in the NBA: "People don't like the hear the truth all the time. People ask you questions, but they don't necessarily want to hear the answer."

coz you're a prick and an asshole that's why no NBA team would even think of hiring you as their coach, that's why. ironically, his arrogance is what also made him great.

On Vince Carter trade rumors as a possible Blazer: "That would have been absurd."

actually, that sounds like a good move.

On what's wrong with the NBA: "... the problem isn't the league itself, it's the game itself. We're not teaching young people how to play the game anymore... if you're an incredible athlete and have very little skill, you can get to the NBA."

stop drafting high schoolers. give the kids at least one year of college ball where the coaches actually teaches basketball basics.

On LeBron James: "... one of the greatest talents I've ever seen in my life... I mean, I think this guy is amazing... but he has a major flaw in his shot. How can a guy five years into the NBA have a major shooting flaw in his game? That's inexcuseable to me."

true that.

On what makes the difference between good players and great ones: "I can teach you to pass, I can't teach you to see.... I can go watch a player play for one half of a college basketball game and I can tell you whether he'll be a great player... you look for that little natural feel for the game... the great players have it... and it can't be taught."