PDA

View Full Version : Chu: S.A. Sports Hall Of Fame Welcomes Class Of 2009

duncan228
02-21-2009, 01:19 AM
S.A. Sports Hall of Fame welcomes class of 2009 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/SA_Sports_Hall_of_Fame_welcomes_class_of_2009.html )
Bryan Chu - Express-News

Each of the newest San Antonio Sports Hall of Fame inductees' voices echoed throughout the Alamodome Friday.

Each spoke from the heart, thanking friends and family.

And each was celebrated for their imprint in the field of sport and their impression on San Antonio.

Avery Johnson, who had the honor of speaking last, said it best as his distinct, high-pitched voice shook the very floor that was home to the Spurs' first NBA title.

“I'm standing here today because of God and because of you,” said Johnson, pointing at the crowd — and figuratively to everyone in San Antonio — as his fellow Class of 2009 inductees Cody Carlson, Henry Cisneros, D.W. Rutledge and “Jesse” James Leija looked on.

“I would not be standing here accepting (this) award had it not been for God and had it not been for you.”

The memorable moments seemingly were humorous ones, especially those directed at the gregarious Johnson, 43, who became the sixth Spurs player to be inducted.

“Will you keep it to three minutes because my kids need to go to bed,” joked Carlson, 45, who was inducted because of his lasting work as a football player at Churchill High, Baylor University and the Houston Oilers.

Another poignant moment came when Leija, 42, spoke about his father, Jesse, who coached him for 17 years that included the WBC World Super Featherweight Championship in 1994.

“My dad always told me to protect my face,” said Leija as his dad's face appeared on the screen. “That's why I look so pretty.”

Also in attendance for the induction were Rice's Chase Clement and Liza Hunter-Galvan, the Express-News sportsman and sportswoman of the Year. Rice's Jarett Dillard shared the honor with Clement. Dillard was not able to attend the event but spoke via a recorded message.

All members of this year's class exemplify those who have overachieved and pushed others to succeed.

Rutledge, 57, inspired young athletes to excel during his 17 years as a head coach at Judson. The tenacious Johnson exceeded expectations as a player, bringing the Spurs their first championship.

“He's the kind of athlete you just fall in love with,” said Rutledge of Johnson. “You know when he's playing, he's giving you every penny when he's on that court.”

Johnson likened Rutledge to Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

“They are guys that have had long successful tenures,” Johnson said. “(Rutledge) was a model of consistency and he was consistently excellent. That's hard to do at any level, whether it's high school, college or pro.”

Though not a professional athlete, Cisneros made his impact on the sports community in the past and in future generations.

“He casted the vision for athletic activity in the whole community, empowering young people,” said Carlson of Cisneros, 61.