PDA

View Full Version : TV mount question

chode_regulator
02-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I bought a wall mount for my 50" tv. I was more concerned with the fact that it would work with my stud spacing than realizing that it only "holds" up to a 42" tv. However it is rated for 100 lbs max and my tv is only 75. anyone run into this before or know if it would be ok? ill probably end up taking it back today but jsut wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this

PuttPutt
02-21-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd take back the one that you have & get one rated for your TV size. You don't want to take the slightest chance of having your TV come crashing to the ground.

chode_regulator
02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
yeah thats what im leaning towards, just wondering if anyone had ever come across this.
for whatever reason like all the mounts on newegg are for 16" spaced studs, hardly anything for 24". full motion im talking about here

PuttPutt
02-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I was told, whether it's right or wrong, that the mounts are designed generally for the actual size of the TV not the actual weight.

BacktoBasics
02-21-2009, 11:52 AM
What good is life if you can't roll the dice and see what happens. I say mount it, then if it falls, sue the mounting company for a false weight rating.

I Love Me Some Me
02-21-2009, 12:09 PM
I was told, whether it's right or wrong, that the mounts are designed generally for the actual size of the TV not the actual weight.

Yeah...you're less likely to have a problem with the weight, and more likely to find that the mount doesn't match up with the hole on the back of the TV.

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2009, 12:11 PM
u got a wife? get her to hold it up every time you wanna used the tv

chode_regulator
02-21-2009, 12:20 PM
What good is life if you can't roll the dice and see what happens. I say mount it, then if it falls, sue the mounting company for a false weight rating.
yeah it would be kinda likie a game everyday. except i cant afford to replace the tv. they do have a replacement guarantee of min 2grand but i doubt they would pay out when they see i had a 50" on a mount for a 42". But in the instructions it only says not to go over weight limit, not size of tv.

Yeah...you're less likely to have a problem with the weight, and more likely to find that the mount doesn't match up with the hole on the back of the TV.
no it matched up the holes. ill probably take it back just bc im poor and cant afford another big screen

LockBeard
02-21-2009, 01:07 PM
If it's anything like computer monitors, as long as it doesn't exceed the weight limit you should be fine.

Wild Cobra
02-21-2009, 01:36 PM
yeah thats what im leaning towards, just wondering if anyone had ever come across this.
for whatever reason like all the mounts on newegg are for 16" spaced studs, hardly anything for 24". full motion im talking about here

As far as I know, housing codes require a 16" maximum spacing. 24" would be out of code unless there is another one within 16" of both between them. Everything today is made for a 16" spacing.

Is this place real old? 16" has been the standard for decades.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-21-2009, 02:03 PM
As far as I know, housing codes require a 16" maximum spacing. 24" would be out of code unless there is another one within 16" of both between them. Everything today is made for a 16" spacing.

16" oc 2x4s

24" oc 2x6s

chode_regulator
02-21-2009, 07:03 PM

latter part of 70s. 78 i believe