PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: Rose and Taylor Look Up Despite a Step Down

Kori Ellis
03-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Rose and Taylor Look Up Despite a Step Down
By HOWARD BECK

Published: March 8, 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/08/sports/basketball/08knicks.html

REENBURGH, N.Y., March 7 - When the Knicks extracted Malik Rose from San Antonio last month, he lost more than just the comfort of his adopted hometown. He was stripped of the birthright that comes with being a Spur.

He lost the promise of May, the glory of June and the occasional jewelry distribution ceremony held in November.

For seven-plus seasons, Rose was the hustling, gritty fan favorite on the River Walk. He was an appreciative teammate of David Robinson's and a close friend to Tim Duncan, and playing alongside them meant never having to say the words draft lottery.

The Spurs won championships in 1999 and 2003 and advanced at least as far as the conference semifinals every season but one from 1999 to 2004.

So, yes, the move from San Antonio to New York is about more than just trading Texas tranquility for big-city bustle. The Knicks were four games out of the playoff picture as of Monday, a position that qualifies as foreign territory to Rose. The Spurs, meanwhile, are widely favored to advance to the N.B.A. finals.

All Rose can do is chuckle at the comparison and recalibrate his expectations.

"Yeah, we were favored to win the championship in San Antonio," Rose said, "but now I'm kind of one of those hungry-type players or whatever. So we're trying to get that last playoff berth. It gives you something else, like a new challenge."

So far, the transition has been smoother than Rose could have anticipated.

From a distance, the Knicks looked a mess. They had lost 19 of 23 games in the first six weeks of 2005. But they have won six of their last nine games and are 3-1 since Rose and Maurice Taylor joined the rotation.

A healthier lineup accounts for some of the success. A soft schedule has helped. But the addition of Rose's hustle and Taylor's scoring punch has certainly played a role.

"We have talent here," Rose said. "It's just we need to fine tune a couple things, and maybe we can turn it around."

It has not taken long for Rose and Taylor to adopt the Knicks' stubborn optimism, despite the long odds they face to make the playoffs. The schedule is about to turn tougher, and there are three teams between them and the eighth and final spot.

So vacation could come much earlier than Rose is accustomed. But that was not the aspect of the trade that hurt most. Rose was beloved in San Antonio, by teammates and fans, who appreciated his toughness. Talk radio was filled with tearful odes to Rose when the deal was announced.

"I was a little upset that I wasn't going to be around my teammates every day," Rose said. "But it wasn't guaranteed that we were going to win a championship. It wasn't even guaranteed that we were going to see June. Things change. And I came here, and the outlook isn't as rosy on paper, but we can make some things happen here."

Taylor has not experienced the postseason joys that Rose has but, like Rose, Taylor had to adjust to a stark new reality after being traded. In Houston, Taylor played alongside two All-Stars, center Yao Ming and the swingman Tracy McGrady. Rose had Duncan, Manu Ginóbili and Tony Parker.

Taylor was also buried on the injured list in Houston and had not played in a month before the trade. Coming to New York could revive his career, particularly if the Knicks decide to thin out the forward ranks through trades this summer. When healthy and in shape, Taylor would be the Knicks' most skilled low-post scorer.

Besides, he sees other advantages to the move.

"You're in the East, so anything can happen," Taylor said. "In the West, if you're four games out, you're done. You might as well start making reservations for the end of April. But in the East, you're four games out, that's nothing."

Taylor has two years left on his contract after this season and said he could envision staying here.

"I love the city," he said. "I'd rather play in the East than playing in the West, where you play against an M.V.P. candidate every night at the four" - power forward - "so it's a little tough over there. I definitely like it here. I'm just going to make do with the time I have and see what happens."

ducks
03-07-2005, 11:36 PM
"We have talent here," Rose said. "It's just we need to fine tune a couple things, and maybe we can turn it around."

good he can spin it

Spurgal
03-08-2005, 01:37 AM
For seven-plus seasons, Rose was the hustling, gritty fan favorite on the River Walk. He was an appreciative teammate of David Robinson's and a close friend to Tim Duncan, and playing alongside them meant never having to say the words draft lottery.

Rose was beloved in San Antonio, by teammates and fans, who appreciated his toughness. Talk radio was filled with tearful odes to Rose when the deal was announced.

Thanks for posting this article, Kori.

I miss Malik and I'm sure many fans here In San Antonio feel the same. But, I wish him the best of luck In New york and hopefully everything will work out for him there. I know that If the Spurs were to win a championship this year,
It's going to be very hard on Malik... :depressed