PDA

View Full Version : Dupree: Duncan D-moralizing to Spurs opponents

Kori Ellis
03-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Duncan D-moralizing to Spurs opponents
By David DuPree, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-03-07-scorers-table_x.htm

Tim Duncan's minutes and offensive numbers are down from previous seasons, but his effectiveness has never been more evident.

That's because it's the San Antonio Spurs defense that makes everything work, and it's Duncan who holds it all together.

"We spend a lot of time on not relying only on Tim," guard Manu Ginobili says. "If he has an off-night offensively, there are some other players who can step up, but having him back there on defense gives us that constant advantage that other teams don't have."

Though he has a mild ankle sprain that could keep him out of Tuesday night's game against the New Jersey Nets, Duncan is not only third in the league in rebounding (11.6) and blocked shots (2.68) but plays outstanding man-to-man defense — both in the post and on the perimeter. He defends the screen-and-roll as well as any big man and does many of the little things that make San Antonio's defense perhaps the best in the NBA.

The Spurs have the best record in the NBA (46-13), give up the fewest points (86.7 a game) and hold opponents to the lowest shooting percentage (42.2).

That's the Duncan influence.

He rotates to cut off drivers and causes shooters to hesitate in close when they see him lurking, and he seldom commits silly reach-in fouls or leaves his feet needlessly. Using a statistical system that measures a player's defensive prowess, Duncan emerges as the best.

Three categories were used — personal foul-free throw differential (free throw attempts minus personal fouls), the glass factor (rebounds plus blocked shots) and giveaways-takeaways (steals minus turnovers). The totals from each of the three categories were added, and the highest final total is the theoretical best defender.

Players who average at least 24 minutes a game were divided into three groups: centers and power forwards, shooting guards and small forwards and point guards.

Only one team, the Washington Wizards, had two players in the top five in two of the three positions: Larry Hughes was third among shooting guards and small forwards and Gilbert Arenas third among point guards.

"Maybe the best backcourt in the NBA," Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers says of Arenas and Hughes. "They're young, athletic, really impressive."

Ranking players by defensive numbers

Centers, power forwards

Player, team Personal foul diff. Glass factor Giveaway/ takeaway Total
1. Tim Duncan, San Antonio 5.0 14.3 -1.4 17.9
2. Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 3.9 15.0 -1.2 17.7
3. Shaquille O'Neal, Miami 6.9 12.8 -2.3 17.4
4. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas 6.5 11.7 -1.1 17.1
5. Ben Wallace, Detroit 1.4 14.3 +0.1 15.8

Shooting guards, small forwards

1. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 8.4 7.0 -3.1 12.3
LeBron James, Cleveland 5.5 7.7 -0.9 12.3
3. Larry Hughes, Washington 4.4 6.4 +0.5 11.3
4. Paul Pierce, Boston 5.3 7.2 -1.3 11.2
5. Tracy McGrady, Houston 4.9 6.9 -1.0 10.8

Point guards

1. Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 8.8 4.0 -2.0 10.8
2. Dwyane Wade, Miami 6.6 6.5 -2.7 10.4
3. Gilbert Arenas, Washington 5.0 4.6 -1.0 8.6
4. Steve Francis, Orlando 4.6 6.3 -2.8 8.1
5. Jason Kidd, New Jersey 1.0 7.0 -0.7 7.3

Category key: Personal foul differential = free throw attempts minus personal fouls; glass factor = rebounds plus blocked shots; giveaway and takeaway = steals minus turnovers.

exstatic
03-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Ranking players by defensive numbers

Centers, power forwards

1. Tim Duncan, San Antonio 5.0 14.3 -1.4 17.9
2. Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 3.9 15.0 -1.2 17.7
3. Shaquille O'Neal, Miami 6.9 12.8 -2.3 17.4
4. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas 6.5 11.7 -1.1 17.1 :lmao
5. Ben Wallace, Detroit 1.4 14.3 +0.1 15.8

Dirk must attempt many FTs and commit few fouls because his defense is like Charmin.

timvp
03-07-2005, 11:51 PM
1) Those equations make no sense.
2) Pop says Rasho is the team's best interior defender.
3) Dirk doesn't belong in the same sentence as the word "defense".

ChumpDumper
03-07-2005, 11:52 PM
What he said.

ShoogarBear
03-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Yeah, this is really just a stupid system.

It begins with the fallacy that you measure defense by stats. Sometimes, stats can be a by-product of good defense, but usually not.

FTA and TOs have nothing to do with how you play defense.

orhe
03-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Three categories were used — personal foul-free throw differential (free throw attempts minus personal fouls)
right.... Defense....

1. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 8.4 7.0 -3.1 12.3
LeBron James, Cleveland 5.5 7.7 -0.9 12.3
3. Larry Hughes, Washington 4.4 6.4 +0.5 11.3
4. Paul Pierce, Boston 5.3 7.2 -1.3 11.2
5. Tracy McGrady, Houston 4.9 6.9 -1.0 10.8

right.... defense!
darn men you can make a case for kobe and maybe tmac (i haven't seen a lot of houston games yihee!)

but paul pierce and lebron? geez! these two guys are the ones who shoot a lot of free throws

Solid D
03-08-2005, 01:13 AM
This needs to be moved to the Meaningless Ratings Forum

Supergirl
03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Yes, I agree that the measuring system is flawed. Paul Pierce and Tracy McGrady make it on SF list, but Bowen doesn't? Clearly they're not measuring very well, since Bowen plays better D than both those two.

And Steve Francis on the list when TP isn't? TP plays MUCH better D than Francis, and Arenas, for that matter. Of the PGs, he plays some of the best D, though not as good as Kidd (when healthy), Wade, and Iverson. Billups should be on there, too.

bigzak25
03-08-2005, 10:06 AM
dude...it's all press for TD's Defensive MVP push....enjoy it! i am. Rasho may be a good defender, but i'll take TD every time. There is a reason TD will get 4th qtr minutes on Shaq on D. Respect from the refs helps no doubt, but if TD is 3rd in boards and blocked shots, that's what a DMVP is all about.....

Useruser666
03-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Defense is entirely based off this formula: (tattoos + number of corn rows) / (illegitimate children - legitimate children) = DEFENSE

FromWayDowntown
03-08-2005, 11:19 AM
dude...it's all press for TD's Defensive MVP push....enjoy it! i am. Rasho may be a good defender, but i'll take TD every time. There is a reason TD will get 4th qtr minutes on Shaq on D. Respect from the refs helps no doubt, but if TD is 3rd in boards and blocked shots, that's what a DMVP is all about.....

what he said.

More and more of the hacks, er, writers are coming out with articles praising Tim's defense; it may be a concerted effort to acknowledge that Tim deserves some accolade for this season, but that they're inclined to dish the MVP trophy to Nash.

Rummpd
03-08-2005, 12:48 PM
A the power of statistics to tell a lie, not that TD is not great but Dirk COME ON???

Jimcs50
03-08-2005, 01:22 PM
If you watch Dallas any, you will see that Dirk is so much better on defense than yrs past. I have watched about 10 Mavs games and I am very impressed with his defense. If he were on Spurs, Pop would have him on All Defense team in a matter of months

waly.mg
03-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Defense= - (Phoenix)

boutons
03-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Dirk's D no longer merit ridicule. I've seen him face his man, crouch over, hands up, and at least try to move his feet laterally (he's not real strong in lateral movement), but not worthy of ridicule.

Like Tony, Dirk is not done improving, and he's turned into a real stud this year.

ShoogarBear
03-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Oh, great, so then Tim gets DPOY the Rick Carlisle Way, with bogus stats? No thanks.

Anyway, once again, I think his man-on-man defense is overrated, anyway. I'd rather see Bruce get it.

GoldToe
03-08-2005, 08:51 PM
I think most players are over rated in some stat or another.

Kori Ellis
03-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Ignoring all statistical formulas, who are your top five defensive players in each of the three categories?

Jimcs50
03-09-2005, 02:49 PM
TD
Bruce Bowen
Billups

BronxCowboy
03-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I haven't seen much of the Bulls this year, but considering how they are doing defensively, shouldn't somebody on that team merit some consideration? Then you have Tayshaun Prince, who has to figure in some where (just singling him out b/c I don't see him mentioned anywhere in this thread). Just some thoughts. Tough to come up with 5 in each category.

Solid D
03-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Top 5 Pivots
Ben Wallace
Tim Duncan
Shaquille O'Neal
Kevin Garnett
Jeff Foster
Top 5 Wings
Bruce Bowen
Ron Artest
Ruben Patterson
Shane Battier
Trenton Hassell
Top 5 PGs
Dwyane Wade
Chauncey Billups
Earl Watson
Tony Parker
Derek Fisher/Allen Iverson

Frenchise player
03-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Great list Solid D but I think that Kirilenko is missing.

Solid D
03-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I'd put him in there right around Tayshaun Prince because of shot blocking (top 10) but I have a bias toward on-ball defense.

ShoogarBear
03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Top 5 Pivots
Ben Wallace
Tim Duncan
Shaquille O'Neal
Kevin Garnett
Jeff Foster
Top 5 Wings
Bruce Bowen
Ron Artest
Ruben Patterson
Shane Battier
Trenton Hassell
Top 5 PGs
Dwyane Wade
Chauncey Billups
Earl Watson
Tony Parker
Derek Fisher/Allen Iverson

Good list. If you'll allow me . . .

Foster? I dunno. I'd take AK, Camby, a healthy Theo Ratliff, Danny Fortson, Rasheed, and probably even Rasho over him. Yao also has to be consider just because you have to do things a little differently even if he's not being aggressive.

Bowen, Artest, and Hassell are probably givens. Battier does too much Duke-flopping for my tastes, and I think Patterson has been a little overrated for a couple of years now. I would have Prince ahead of both of them. Richard Jefferson is a solid defender. And to be honest, there are night where I wish we had manged to keep Raja Bell, who is similar to Bruce is that he'll do just about anything to stop his man.

I admittedly haven't really tried to assess whether Wade is that good a defender. I'd put Eric Snow on the guard list ahead of either Watson or Billups. And Larry Hughes has become a surprisingly good defender for long stretches this year.